CLASSIC and important CARS - open thread:

I see. - But this is bigger, and bigger cars are easier to design, I would say ... :) ---

I think this is an ugly car. Looks as if separate design departments worked independently, merging their results in the end:

View attachment 138408

F7HuVVp.gif

Hi, back to hatchbacks. - I bought my VW Golf S (75 hp) in 1976. From 1971 to 1976 I rode only motorcycles (BMW R 75/5, R 90/6) through the year.

My Golf had 70s quality. Poor paint finish, shaking front-end (repaired by an expert engineer from Wolfsburg at last). I had it rust-proofed by DINOL.

(After 5 years I sold it for 50% of the purchasing price (to buy my first Mercedes).

VW-Golf-Restx300905-035_bearbeitet-1.jpg

VW-Golf-Restx300905-036_bearbeitet-1.jpg

VW-Golf-Restx300905-038_bearbeitet-1.jpg

jag3 by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

well its a jaguar...E type...dont know the year or engine size...

Series 1 (faired in headlights are the give-away) so '61-'68. Can't be more precise with age or engine size.

G.P.1 by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

seen in malta in the chadwick lakes area...not sure if its a production model..??...edit..suzuki
just found the word cobrinha associated with cross country trials...abroad

Last edited:
Loved both of mine - a '72 S 2a 88" (which Dad and I built from the ground up using a 108" LWB with a rotted out chassis as a donor onto a galvanised chassis - still see it around from time to time, 20 years on!) and a '93/4 90" Defender (which I wrote off by rolling it [at 30 MPH, after a blowout]). Ridiculously expensive now - late models get around £25-30 grand.

I see. - But this is bigger, and bigger cars are easier to design, I would say ... :) ---

I think this is an ugly car. Looks as if separate design departments worked independently, merging their results in the end:

View attachment 138408

i am struggling with this...is it the humber hawk/snipe in foreign dress...?
i nearly bought one in the uk...iirc the rear bumper bump stops were solid...??

i am struggling with this...is it the humber hawk/snipe in foreign dress...?
i nearly bought one in the uk...iirc the rear bumper bump stops were solid...??

Hi, as I said, I find this one ugly. --- On the other hand, there are cars one does not find beautiful, such as the Jeep, but they are said to have character ...

Hi, as I said, I find this one ugly. --- On the other hand, there are cars one does not find beautiful, such as the Jeep, but they are said to have character ...

i like jeeps...the new ones are a fake news on the real ones...like they used in MASH G.P. vehicles

landy 22 copy by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

these are likeable as well...seen at flushing..near falmouth

Here the Spanish version, a Santana Land Rover Series 3 from the 70s:

If that was a Solihull built one, I'd have said it was a Series 2a rather than a 3 - the 3 has the plastic looking grille rather than the barbecue mesh as seen on this example.

Hi, I had a SUBARU Forester like this one for 4 years (1999-2003). It was perfect for narrow Swiss mountain roads, especially in winter.

Subaru-L1009665-Lc_bearbeitet-1.jpg

Near the San Bernardino Pass:

Subaru-Unbenannt-Scannen-53_bearbeitet-1.jpg

My dear Sheila (+ 2014) liked the Forester, too:

PICT0124+x_bearbeitet-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, NSU Ro 80 - a Wankel attempt that failed ultimately. Mercedes had Wankel prototypes, but they abandoned Wankel engines before offering cars with them ... ---

L1009415-L50summ-c-tp.jpg

D80_6703-n70c-tp.jpg

I like those cars, but I do not like front wheel drive, having traction and direction on the same pair of wheels, if traction is lost then direction usually goes with it too, not nice. Although cheaper for the manufacturers and works better under certain situations.

I like those cars, but I do not like front wheel drive, having traction and direction on the same pair of wheels, if traction is lost then direction usually goes with it too, not nice. Although cheaper for the manufacturers and works better under certain situations.

Hi, this is how things are in technology. - There is always a trade-off. A simple design means avoiding the drive-train. This means front-wheel drive (and engine in front) or rear-engine with steering in front.

In the 60s, DKWs handled better than VWs. Without electronic assistance, more than 100 hp for front-wheel drive cars was not recommended. Nowadays, the limit is higher ...

On the history of front-wheel drive:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front-wheel_drive

...more than 100 hp for front-wheel drive cars was not recommended. Nowadays, the limit is higher ...

Something that makes no sense at all, more than 100hp on front-wheel drive is a complete waste, even if one reinforce the suspension and the engine is on the front, all the weight of the car is going to the back of the car when accelerating.

There was a Cadillac, one of those big boats from the 70s with a V8 engine and front-wheel drive. :banghead:

Green_car_in_Ireland.jpg

this is a stock photo....my friend in scotland in 1972 had an estate...3cyl two stroke...1 coil per cylinder
never seen one since...

or the hillman imps from linwood

Last edited:
Something that makes no sense at all, more than 100hp on front-wheel drive is a complete waste, even if one reinforce the suspension and the engine is on the front, all the weight of the car is going to the back of the car when accelerating.

There was a Cadillac, one of those big boats from the 70s with a V8 engine and front-wheel drive. :banghead:

Hi, over the years, I had a few front-wheel drive cars: Citroen 2CV (18 hp), Volkswagen Golf S (75 hp), Nissan NX 100 GTI (150 hp). (At present, I have one rear-wheel drive 300 SE, and an AWD 430 Estate.)

My wife has a VW Passat Estate with front-wheel drive and 170 hp, I drove occasionally. For everyday use, and normal driving, there are no problems with front-wheel drive.

The Audi quattro 3 litre estate she had before, handled better, of course.

Back