CLASSIC and important CARS - open thread:

Hi, my wife's NISSAN NX 100 GTI in the Swiss mountains in 1996 (slidescan 2005). Nice, sporty and practical with T-tops:

Alpen96-026-tp.jpg

Alpen96-031-tp.jpg

Hi, typically driven by university students in the 70s:

D80_6418-n70c-tp_bearbeitet-1.jpg

Cars seen from my alma mater. The Mercedes in the 2nd picture, lower right hand corner, was driven by a professor whose seminars I attended:

AC-EnBoDivC-73-013.jpg

AC-EnBoDivC-73-012.jpg

That R4 takes me back a few years! I did most of my practice miles in one before my test in late '80 (18/12).

That R4 takes me back a few years! I did most of my practice miles in one before my test in late '80 (18/12).

Hi, compared to other entry cars (2CV, VW Beetle) I personally experienced it was more quiet and had proper heating... ---

Have to agree. After I had passed my test, I had a Dyane 6 (2CV with marginally better bodywork.) Hateful things! Only good thing about it (other than usually getting me from A to B [eventually...]) was the rear seat being easy to take out and use as a sofa on the beach.

The R4, R6 and R12 mobilized entire nations... one just have to love them, especially the R4.

The R4, yes; the 2CV, NO!!!

Could be argued that the VolksWagen (Beetle) was as much a Porsche as the 911 is/was.

Could be argued that the VolksWagen (Beetle) was as much a Porsche as the 911 is/was.
Sure. They have the same roots ... --- The Porsche crowd tends to discuss innovation and other Porsche cars often emotionally. When the 911 went from air-cooling to water, and now to turbo-charging.

I have no personal Porsche ownership experience. My younger sister has a 911, but we are not close ...

The other day I was in Bad Homburg, and had a Cayman offered. The owner had more than ten cars, and wanted to consolidate ... He had a 911, too, and said the Cayman handled better.

I think it is always good to talk with people owning several cars, offering a more balanced view. (The same can happen in photography fora, with multi-brand camera owners ... ( ;) ))

Thought about a Boxster as a fun car but went for an MX-5 as a cheaper, more practical option. Besides, a mid 50s bloke in a Boxster = mid life crisis and it would be Mrs Nod's car anyway! The Porker might be ultimately faster but in the real world, the Mazda does the same job.

Thought about a Boxster as a fun car but went for an MX-5 as a cheaper, more practical option. Besides, a mid 50s bloke in a Boxster = mid life crisis and it would be Mrs Nod's car anyway! The Porker might be ultimately faster but in the real world, the Mazda does the same job.

Hi, both are good cars, I have heard from owners I know. And historically, the MX-5 (MIATA in the U.S.) was also important!

Rather dirty front plate! ;)

Sure. They have the same roots ... --- The Porsche crowd tends to discuss innovation and other Porsche cars often emotionally. When the 911 went from air-cooling to water, and now to turbo-charging.

I have no personal Porsche ownership experience. My younger sister has a 911, but we are not close ...

The other day I was in Bad Homburg, and had a Cayman offered. The owner had more than ten cars, and wanted to consolidate ... He had a 911, too, and said the Cayman handled better.

I think it is always good to talk with people owning several cars, offering a more balanced view. (The same can happen in photography fora, with multi-brand camera owners ... ( ;) ))
My brother had a Cayman S and it was pretty gutless compared to my M3, it handled well enough, but was underpowered in my opinion. I will own a Porsche at some point, but not until my little girl is a teenager :)

My brother had a Cayman S and it was pretty gutless compared to my M3, it handled well enough, but was underpowered in my opinion. I will own a Porsche at some point, but not until my little girl is a teenager :)

Hi, very interesting! It shows how important it is to know the basis of comparisons. A friend of mine has a Cayman S, and is highly satisfied (he says ... ) ---

PORSCHE Speedster 1956:

D80_2365-n70c-tp.jpg

D80_3155-n70c-tp.jpg

Mum had one of those when I was a kid. My only memory of it is sitting in the passenger footwell, wiggling the cocktail stick that was poking through the sole of my foot so I could see the lump on the top of my foot moving. My delightful sister had planted a garden of them under the tree I was climbing...

A nice trio I found walking on the street:

Do you dare to guess which cars are? (brand, model and approx. year) ;)

A nice trio I found walking on the street:

Do you dare to guess which cars are? (brand, model and approx. year) ;)

Hi, from left to right: Alfa Romeo Guilia (1962 - 1978), Alfa Romeo Spider (1966-1969), FIAT 850 Coupe (1968-1971) ...

But I must confess, I knew the cars, but had to consult the web for the exact years of production ... :sorry:

Never like it but at least the first one was having some sober and nice lines, the 1500 is too ugly.

Well, this shows how we and our tastes have changed over the years. But I agree, the 1200 looks cleaner. The 1500 tried to look modern and American ... ---

For designers, it must be very difficult to come with shapes that remain attractive over time, or at least age gracefully ---

Malcom Sayer managed. His D-Type's DNA can still be seen in today's F Type, 64 years on!

Malcom Sayer managed. His D-Type's DNA can still be seen in today's F Type, 64 years on!

A rare case, which goes to show how difficult car design is. - The difficulty can be seen most clearly when amateurs build cars. Often the results look like a heap of sheet metal traveling together ...

Designs may become attractive over time, or lose their appeal quickly after the introduction ---

Speaking about creating something ugly out of something nice...

Hi, it happened when function dictated form, and estate cars were commercial vehicles. Private ownership of estate cars started in the 70s ... ---

A late arrival in Schwetzingen:

L1013413_DxO-L35cron-c-tp.jpg

Last edited:
Back