CLASSIC and important CARS - open thread:

Somewhat heretically for a Jaguar owner, I think I'd probably rather have the drop-top Pug that's following it!

Even the "pregnant ugly sister" of the Mk 1 family is pretty!

Hi, E-Types are so rare here that I could not really develop a taste. I like seeing them all ...

Plenty around over here, although not as many as there were back in the '60s and '70s. As they evolved, some of the beauty was diluted by practicality (the covered headlights of the Mk 1 reduced headlight performance so were dropped for the Mk 2, then the Mk 3 had its mouth heaved open to improve cooling in traffic) and the extra height of the FHC (fixed head coupé) and even more so of the 2+2 give them a slightly bloated look.

I'd get a Stanley Steamer and park it outside Mr Khan's office...

I'd get a Stanley Steamer and park it outside Mr Khan's office...
I'll know his critics have really lost the plot when they park one of these on his front garden...

Chieftain tank at the Yorkshire Air Museum GM5 P1220743.jpg

Lovely! A proper Merc, shame Daimler had to tarnish the brand with the A and B classes. Win the lottery I might treat myself to a Grosser, drive into London and do a Mr Bean in front of City Hall

Hi, it was a great car, but insiders said Daimler did not not make a profit producing it. It was too complicated with all those hydraulically operated components.

It is said Daimler saw the car as a running advertisement being shown almost daily in the news when heads of state were chauffeured in them.

Owning and maintaining it today requires very deep pockets ... ---

A 300 SL (!) :

DSC_7669-d500c.jpg

I read somewhere that the hydraulics and electrics of the Grosser sapped close to 50 BHP from its output.

I read somewhere that the hydraulics and electrics of the Grosser sapped close to 50 BHP from its output.

Hi, this could well be. - It was a great car in its day, and may be fun to own even today.

I should have spoken to an owner, but I was too busy taking pics in Schwetzingen ...

My old Alfa Spider, taken in 2013 before we completed the Crumball Rally, and no, we didn't break down.

2013_0527AA.JPG

But you did fit the push handle just in case!!! :p

But you did fit the push handle just in case!!! :p
Nah, tried a radical approach, full service, including cam belt, water pump, oil, filters, clutch slave cylinder, brakes etc etc. Turns out that comprehensive servicing tends to make an old car reliable. We passed many broken down competitors, in their 'reliable' non-Italian cars.

I had a black one very similar.
Was owned by an old Dutch lady, and taking her home one day (I worked in a garage then, about 1976) she revved the the heck out of the engine, and I said politely it would last longer if she changed gear earlier, She said no, she must drive it according to VWs instructions and pointed to the speedo, where it indicated one dot at the speed you had to reach in first gear, and two dots where you must reach in second gear etc!!!
When she bought a later model, she offered me the old one at the trade in price. I drove it for years, then my mum drove it for more years.

ebagum1.jpgebagum2.jpg

My old 1954 MGTF from a few years ago - sadly sold - as with many cars of the past - "I never should have sold it"

a scanned image from the days of film - (minus the spare wheel!)

TP_ES_2_MG.jpg

Back