CLASSIC and important CARS - open thread:

Sometimes, it's difficult to work out whether a car is interesting or not...

Snow covered cars in street DSC01311.JPG

I'd rather have an LM002!

And bigger baulls!!!

It seems to me that the truly important cars are the every day models like this Nissan Micra. Built in plants around the world, 2,368,704 Micras were produced by the Sunderland factory alone since 1992. That's what I call a classic car...

Car overtaking cyclist Vicarage Road Sidmouth G9 P1012690.JPG

It seems to me that the truly important cars are the every day models like this Nissan Micra. Built in plants around the world, 2,368,704 Micras were produced by the Sunderland factory alone since 1992. That's what I call a classic car...

I agree. Everyday cars are often overlooked, at vintage car meetings, too. Often you see more FERRARIs than cars like this :

L1007002_DxO-z50p-28-c.jpg

Italian chic meets British mass production; The Austin A40 Farina wasn't a runaway success but they did build more than 340,000 of them - and they were pretty much the default vehicle for British driving instructors in the 1960s...

Austin A40 Farina in Paignton G2 1030056.JPG

What... no beige Morris Marinas? I shall be writing a strongly worded email the president of the owners club forthwith
You'll just have to make do with an "Audax" Hillman Minx, of which there were rather more than 350,000 made in Britain alone (they were also built in Australia and Japan)...

Hillman Minx R1_05222.JPG

You'll just have to make do with an "Audax" Hillman Minx, of which there were rather more than 350,000 made in Britain alone (they were also built in Australia and Japan)...

View attachment 335230
My dad also one of those, in black, (as well as the beige Marina). I think his Minx was a "van der plas" I was forever getting told off for opening and closing the drinks tray in the back of his seat :)

It certainly was a Vanden Plas, Maybe a Austin Cambridge or Princess then. I was only 2 or 3 years old, over half a century ago, so memory might not 100%

Last edited:
Hi, here in Germany British cars are rare, especially everyday cars. They were too difficult to maintain over the years with a thin network of dealerships.

We see mostly what is seen as "high end" here, and even standard Minis are rare, too. Most are sporty ... :

D80_2638-n70c.jpg

We have "tarted up" cars on our roads too. I think this might be a Renault...

Cars at Holloway Road Western Way junction G9 P1011382.JPG

Grabbed shot of the rare Morris Oxford Traveller Series IV...

Morris Oxford Traveller DSC01053.JPG

Back