Classifieds - very quiet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may only be 2% of the form but it is 2% I'm currently interested in! My initial posts were in the Equipment section and from the responses there the next logical place to look in was the classifieds. Who knows in years to come the Business & Professional area may be my main area of interest but not at the moment.

I can understand where you are coming from and I fully intend to contribute where I feel that I can make a worthwhile contribution, I was just making the point that there could be a possible solution which helped new comers but also avoided the potential of spamming in the classifieds

At least I'm a fifth of the way to my 25 post now

TBH I only came to TP originally because someone on another forum told me that there were some good bargains to be had here for used gear. When I finally did get access to the classified it was mostly junk available in my price range, and I did much better going out & buying a new entry level system than some 5 year old tat (that's 8 YO tat now) with poorly designed sensor for the same money. There can be bargains, but you may well be looking in the wrong place for gear to start you off.

The classifieds section seems to be suffering a slow and painful death it used to be my go to place for new gear but the number of threads seems to have plummeted.

Same seems to be affecting the whole forum and others I browse it seems they are all under threat from social media.

The classifieds section seems to be suffering a slow and painful death

A tad dramatic don't you think? [emoji1]

Sure it's a bit quieter in here, but it's still the first place I put something up to sell and the first place I check when looking to make a purchase.

It'll pick up again I'm sure, just such a small base of contributors it's more susceptible to ups and downs in terms of adverts etc.

I can't understand how someone could come to be even close to 50%, .
There are / there were people well into the 70-80% !
Also I don't think they've posted a single image. o_O
That's fairly typical, of a "trader" once we get absolute proof, they are "banned" from classies.
And as above, before the auto system was brought it, they easily ran up 70-80% ratio's.
They did their 60 days / 25 posts and never left the classifieds.

There can be bargains, but you may well be looking in the wrong place for gear to start you off.
There used to be a lot of bargains, years ago, rather like the bay, years ago, then the traders, either full time or part time realised that TP was a good place to buy and sell,
and ultimately it pushed the prices up, to "market value"

could be people have decided to keep their main cameras - not upgrading, but perhaps adding one of the newer compact line
hence fewer mid-range kit for sale

the Pros are still upgrading but I cannot afford their £600-1000 lens for sale - and I guess a large % cannot/will not either
so now I'm kitted out, my purchasing has really ground to a halt

Haha. a certain person's ratio went up to 51% last night, ............. so fired a dozen quick comments on today in readiness for the classified access.:rolleyes:

Haha, @Doormat how did I know you were preparing for the classifieds? :D

Last edited:
So it's not just me who thinks it's gone quiet. Had my D750 up for sale last week, honestly thought it would go quick. Got to about 4 days and no reply, ended up selling it elsewhere and for more than I advertised it here :thinking:

I buy and sell, find it useful but trying not to change gear so often [emoji16] most the time i find I get a better price on ebay even with fees or I list when there's a low fee offer. I think I put fair prices but still often no takers in here.

I suspect Facebook is largely to blame.
I wouldnt say to blame more its peoples go-to nowadays. I posted two cameras up for sale in the last few days. No hits on here but 11 people in a que to buy.

I used this platform quite a lot in the past too with good feedback all around. The social media pages are more interactive.

It's going to take me a long time to reach 25 posts as I'm busy reading the forums and currently have no input to give and I don't want to just drop a quick one line post just to get the numbers up.

Same problem for me, I want to buy my first camera and ideally off the forum rather than the auction site. Without a camera I'm going to struggle to make 25 'meaningful' posts though

It may only be 2% of the form but it is 2% I'm currently interested in! My initial posts were in the Equipment section and from the responses there the next logical place to look in was the classifieds. Who knows in years to come the Business & Professional area may be my main area of interest but not at the moment.
At least I'm a fifth of the way to my 25 post now

There's a 38 page thread of mobile phone photos at the link below, and an awful lot of people have a phone with a camera nowadays. Worth a try to post a few and ask for help/comments?

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/iphone-images-post-your-iphone-mobile-pics-here.170974/

Thanks for the feedback but I picked up a D7000 at the weekend, sourced elsewhere obviously! I'm a glutton for punishment so haven't abandoned the forum just yet
I've got no idea how to use the camera though, so I'll probably get flamed for posting to many 'how do I do this type' posts now:D

I've got no idea how to use the camera though, so I'll probably get flamed for posting to many 'how do I do this type' posts now:D
Not at all. That's why we have a 'beginners' section. :)
There's a lot of knowledge here and people will often put a lot of time and effort into helping you if you listen and show your appreciation.

Be warned - everyone has their own ideas about things and some are extremely precious about them. This being the Internet, that means an inevitable argument will start over a point (often a minor or pedantic one!). Try to ignore the ranting and focus on the sensible, calm posts. Try not to ask about sensor equivalence if you can possibly help it ;)

The film camera section is dormant :(

The film camera section is dormant :(

Thats because film is dead :D (or more likely because film people already have too many shiny toys)

Thats because film is dead :D (or more likely because film people already have too many shiny toys)
Maybe it is but you still have the diehards who like this format

remember

who has the most shiney things WINS....:)

I don't have access any more, but I think the 2nd hand market isn't moving as fast.. I use facebook groups instead, but still have little interest in various items for sale.. Last item was a mint 24-35mm Sigma Art f/2 which ended up going to MPB..

I think what people on TP try to do is they will go to ebay and look at the sold prices then they will pick the highest and pop the item in for that thinking that's ok.

But they don't want to take in consideration that on ebay the sale fees are 10% plus paypal fees are 4%.

they want there cake and to eat it.

so if a lens sells for £300 on ebay the seller has had to coff up over £40 in fees.

Yes it's kind of weird and happens on every photography forum I know. They're communities of like minded people and friends until it comes to selling off gear. Then they become opportunists seeking 25% more than the going rate

Sadly, it's dead. I'm not sure who thought it was a good idea to put prohibitive restrictions on posting there but it has only reduced the overall interest in the forum in my opinion. It's part of a good forum, joining a hobby community and picking up kit from trustworthy members. Yes, some will take advantage, but surely it can be reviewed on a case by case basis. It's fairly obvious who only comes here to sell. But those just getting started, who want to buy cheaply with advice from members of the community, are not now offered that opportunity...unless they achieve some kind of status by posting for the sake of it.

A lot of successful forums end up being a bit too heavy handed. It's in our nature to try and control things. It wasn't broke.

A lot of successful forums end up being a bit too heavy handed. It's in our nature to try and control things. It wasn't broke.
But the forum wasn't created to sell kit cheaply etc, it's here so we can talk photography. The buying/selling of kit is just a nice add on.

But the forum wasn't created to sell kit cheaply etc, it's here so we can talk photography. The buying/selling of kit is just a nice add on.

I didn't say that obviously. I was suggesting that as taking pictures requires cameras, perhaps an important part of the hobby is experiencing different equipment. This is even more relevant when you are just starting out. An active classifieds facilitates that.

But I agree, it can't become the reason why the forum continues to be successful but actually, I think it is a large part of why this place has become what it is.

It is clear about that - but for some, photography is as much about the gear, including trading the gear, as the pics, hence the frequent comments about disappointment. Personally I'm not over-fussed either way, but the change has reduced an area of the forum that for some was a key part of their photographic enjoyment.

I didn't say that obviously. I was suggesting that as taking pictures requires cameras, perhaps an important part of the hobby is experiencing different equipment. This is even more relevant when you are just starting out. An active classifieds facilitates that.
I know what you mean, but there are plenty of places for a beginner to get second hand equipment that is arguably better than this forum - the likes of MPB or Wex where you get a warranty and you know the equipment is coming from a trusted source. I would say that is a safer way for someone starting out to operate. But equally I have got some right bargains out of this forum...

Sadly, it's dead. I'm not sure who thought it was a good idea to put prohibitive restrictions on posting there but it has only reduced the overall interest in the forum in my opinion. It's part of a good forum, joining a hobby community and picking up kit from trustworthy members. Yes, some will take advantage, but surely it can be reviewed on a case by case basis. It's fairly obvious who only comes here to sell. But those just getting started, who want to buy cheaply with advice from members of the community, are not now offered that opportunity...unless they achieve some kind of status by posting for the sake of it.

It wasnt broke because the rule had always been there , all they did was automate it rather than the mods having to deal with freloaders individually - as i said at the time the crying from those who didn't like the automation is like saying " Its outrageous they've put a speed camera on this 30 limit that i've ben speeding through at 70 for years, how very dare they"

Classifieds isnt dead its merely returned to how it should be , long term members occasionally exchanging kit, not a cheap alternative to ebay or a good place to pick up bargains to sell elsewhere (or off load tat picked up elsewhere at a profit) ... also making one post outside the classies for every post you make inside it is hardly prohibitive)

of course for someone who's only made 3 posts outside the classifieds (includuing the two in this thread) since 2012 I can see why it might look more challenging to actually join in with the rest of the site

Last edited:
I'd love to use the classifieds but due to restrictions I can't have access yet. Consequently I've spent £500+ through other sites meaning potentially users of this site may have lost out on selling and as a result had to use a site (you know the one) that charges 10% to sell.

But its down to the owners of this great site to make the rules, which I'm happy to comply with.

Me too, just this month I have bought £1200 worth of gear from other sites. One purchase turns out to have been off a member from here but on an auction site.

It wasnt broke because the rule had always been there , all they did was automate it rather than the mods having to deal with freloaders individually - as i said at the time the crying from those who didn't like the automation is like saying " Its outrageous they've put a speed camera on this 30 limit that i've ben speeding through at 70 for years, how very dare they"

Classifieds isnt dead its merely returned to how it should be , long term members occasionally exchanging kit, not a cheap alternative to ebay or a good place to pick up bargains to sell elsewhere (or off load tat picked up elsewhere at a profit) ... also making one post outside the classies for every post you make inside it is hardly prohibitive)

of course for someone who's only made 3 posts outside the classifieds (includuing the two in this thread) since 2012 I can see why it might look more challenging to actually join in with the rest of the site

I went away, providing the freedom that you enjoy...back now. Flippant remarks aren't welcome.

I rarely use the classics, hate selling stuff, by the time I finish with it, it has been well used and not in mint condition, my gear is there to be
used not wrapped in cotton wool, so normally give it away or on the rare occasion I do have anything half decent, part-ex it.
Far too many things can and do go wrong with 2nd hand electronic gear, you can't guarantee it and being an honest person I would have to refund
if I sold something and it went wrong shortly after

I rarely use the classics
Many graduates say the same thing, but look at the positives;
1. Kicking ass in pub quizzes
2. A fighting chance at translating menus in most European languages
3. Impressing painfully middle-class dinner parties by actually having an opinion on Greek drama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back