Competition - Round 8 - Public Highway

I didn't realise it didn't show a limit. If you could keep the file size to say 160kb max that would be great. I will add it into the rules now and for any that have already been submitted, I am sure that Marcel will reduce the file size if needed.

RobertP said:
It says 600 pixels but no file size limit? - I can save mine at 226k if I wanted to (though it looks the same at less than 100k)

Having just checked it appears that you are mistaken...
Your entry should be reduced to no bigger than 600 pixels along its longest edge with a maximum file size of 160kb. This includes any borders that you may or may not want to add. The size restriction will help protect the images from being stolen/copied and also ensure that all pictures are viewed under the same restrictions.

http://www.thephotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1845

Not to worry though ;)

a *cough* admin error....

However!

I strongly recommend getting the image down to the right size, as the gallery compression that is applied to oversize images(when ive set it right)makes them look like ZX spectrum games by the times its finished!

That's great, I am glad you spotted our deliberate mistake :whistling

Thanks..I will get that sorted. :thumb:

I have corrected the *cough* admin error ;) so all should now be well.

If you find anything else that is incorrect in posts or info on the site please do let us know so that we keep everything right.

Cheers

right ok, I'm (maybe) confused now! How come we have different sizes for posting in thread and competitions/gallery? I thought we were working on a standard size across all of the formats?

Surely this would be far more sensible?

A lot of us use the gallery for posting in the threads, where the limit is 800px, but then we are limited to 600px for the gallery itself and for competitions?

Am I not the only one whop finds this a little off kilter?

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick again?

I suppose it does seem a bit odd. 600 pixels is the limit for Gallery pics. After a poll on what res most folks ran their desktops at, we allowed off - site images posted directly in threads up to a max of 800 pixels on the longest side, with links to larger pics off -site being permissable. Obviously larger off-site images linked here don't affect our bandwidth costs ( well- Steve's actually) but the idea behind that is to keep the site fairly responsive, particularly for people on slow connections.

You only have to look round member albums to see there are some pretty desirable images, which are highly prone to being nicked by the unscrupulous, and keeping them low res at least limits their usefulness and lessens the risk to some extent.

ah, I see now. Ok, cool.

Was just curious.

Think I may've slipped through the net also on the gallery image size :whistling

*please don't make me resize all my images* It wasn't my fault. Honest guv!

LOL. Just to clarify - the 800 pixels thing came in because people didn't see why there should be any limit on off- site images and this was a compromise position. It's still largely misunderstood, but the main concern is to just keep threads nice and snappy, like an alligator sandwich. :coat:

So to sum up (and to make sure I'm right)
Photo sharing + critique - 800 pixels longest side and 160kb in size
Competition + Galleys - 600 pixels longest side and also 160kb in size

the main concern is to just keep threads nice and snappy
Am I being thick but doesn't a 800 pixel @ 160 kb download in the same time as a 600 pixel @ 160kb :ponders: ? So it wouldn't matter time wise if someone posted a picture with a res of 1920 x 1200 that was 160kb. Ok it would look incredibly bad and nearly everyone would have to scroll to see it but they'd see it as quickly as a 100 x 50 picture sized 160kb

I'd like to conclude by stating that I don't really care as I don't have a gallery and my competition entries (when I find one to shoot) will not warrant any extra size due to resembling something brown in colour, squidgy in texture and smelling predominantly of methane

Gemok said:
So to sum up (and to make sure I'm right)
Photo sharing + critique - 800 pixels longest side and 160kb in size
Competition + Galleys - 600 pixels longest side and also 160kb in size

That is correct…almost :p

In Competitions you are allowed up to 1000pix to enter a true panoramic shot (the definition of a true panoramic is at our discretion to stop people cropping images just to display bigger for more impact) This rule was brought in, as showing a panoramic at a max of 600pix wide is unfair.

Gemok said:
Am I being thick but doesn't a 800 pixel @ 160 kb download in the same time as a 600 pixel @ 160kb :ponders: ? So it wouldn't matter time wise if someone posted a picture with a res of 1920 x 1200 that was 160kb. Ok it would look incredibly bad and nearly everyone would have to scroll to see it but they'd see it as quickly as a 100 x 50 picture sized 160kb

The reasons are a combination physical size and file size which are connected to speed and ease of viewing..160kb is the same across the site to a) keep my costs at a reasonable level b) keep the whole site snappy for the less fortunate people who have slow connections c) because at the physical sizes we allow there is no need to have them any bigger to show detail. d) it might help deter potential image thieves.

The 600pix in the Members Gallery was set at the very beginning and matched what we had on the forum at that time, later after a debate and poll; we increased the forum size to a max of 800 at the request of members and left the actual choice of showing them at that max size up to the individual. This suits the most used monitor resolution and allows images to be seen without scrolling on the forums. As we already had many members with Galleries we maintained the 600pix rule to stop any unfairness to existing and new members and to discourage theft from the one place where it is easy to gather many images. As pointed out above, one or two galleries do have a 800pix size limit, this was a Admin error and done totally on a misunderstanding, as that was our mistake and the people concerned had already began using their Galleries it would have been unfair and not very professional for us to then change that and make those members re-edit their photos.

Gemok said:
I'd like to conclude by stating that I don't really care as I don't have a gallery and my competition entries (when I find one to shoot) will not warrant any extra size due to resembling something brown in colour, squidgy in texture and smelling predominantly of methane

It’s a shame you have chosen not to take a free gallery here, with regard to the competition entries, that’s also a shame as I believe we have a very low turnout again this month so anything submitted will be in with a good chance. My comp submission sounds very similar to what yours would be and I am glad it is only being show at 600pix so that it will not offend to many people :D

Hopefully that answers the questions?

It’s a shame you have chosen not to take a free gallery here, with regard to the competition entries, that’s also a shame as I believe we have a very low turnout again this month so anything submitted will be in with a good chance

I haven't taken a free gallery as I've got enough webspace of my own for now :thumb: , so I'll let some less fortunate soul use yours. I didn't say I wasn't going to enter anything just that it probably will be carp (deliberate spelling error , assuming this to be a "familly safe site"?)

In fact had a sleepless night :shock: trying to think of a shot that wasn't a cliche, looked good, showed reasonable technique and that I could manage to photograph. :censored: if I can think of one will settle for looks ok now

competition@thephotographyforums.com

:)

Closing date 18.00 on the 27th November, so its basically last call this weekend ladies and gentlemen. Don't miss the deadline if you are holding back that stunning shot. ;)

Competition now closed, entries in, collated, and are being chalked up and pinned to the boards as we speak.

Expect a gallery of entries for your perusal sometime shortly after Coronation Street ;)

Joe T said:
The deadline has passed, and I've been too busy to get a shot in. Got a new girlfriend you see... ;)

You're excused then Joe. As long as you're not wasting your spare time! :D

Entries are up (feel priveleged, I missed the first 5 minutes of Corrie for you lot :p)....

Please PM me your votes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. No voting for your own, and all entrants must vote.
Voting closes 18:00pm next Sunday 4th December.

Oooh.... some good entries there! Good luck everyone.

I have just had a look..whats the crack with the size on number 7. Has it been uploaded incorrectly of is that just the size it was sent in?

I'm afraid that's the size it was sent in. I did email the entrant and explain, welcoming a resubmission before the closing date, but have yet to have a reply, and thought it would be more unfair to omit the entry altogether.

PS. For ease of clickability and things, here's the link to the gallery.

http://www.thephotographyforums.com/gallery/comp_round08

Thats a shame, hopefully the person who submitted it will send in a bigger version that can be changed.

See Marcels post above or go to the galleries and they are in there, along with all the previous rounds. ;)

Marcel said:
Entries are up (feel priveleged, I missed the first 5 minutes of Corrie for you lot :p)....

Please PM me your votes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. No voting for your own, and all entrants must vote.
Voting closes 18:00pm next Sunday 4th December.
Just for the avoidance of any doubt, can anyone vote or only those that entered?

Joe T said:
I was going to enter a pic I had entered into a compo elsewhere, but I was told I couldnt, which is fair enough.

Unfortunately there is one image on there (not naming any names) thats was entered into the same compo that my other image was entered into.

Any thoughts anyone on this? :)

I just recognised that image you are refering too.

If I was handling this round and recognised a shot due to it being posted elsewhere it would have been disallowed. For those that recognise a picture that has been posted elsewhere, I would suggest not voting for that shot (if it figured in your top three) or if you think it is unfair, PM Marcel with the number and he will remove it. Everyone knows that this competition is anonymous and this has even been discussed elsewhere too, so the member who submitted that shot should be aware of that rule.

Nice to see some more entries this time! Will be interested to see who comes out on top this time.

Just as an aside, next year, why don't we have a running total for the year? I think if we had a 'photography forums photographer of the year' it might encourage people to enter on a regular basis. I know it's slightly unfair to those that join halfway through the year, but if enough people enter every month then I think the lead developed would be marginal enough to even it back out again.

I'm sure somebody's already thought of this and there are a million reasons not to do it, I just can't think of any at the moment!

The ones that got away.....

Remember the old guy in 'life of grime' on TV where the house was stuffed floor to ceiling with junk? I saw a car like that in a traffic queue - back window to windscreen (looked like it was always there- not a trip to the dump) ....nice busy road too...No Camera :(

Another time I saw this perfect street panorama - almost 3D like - reflected in the back of a Fiat Panda.....No Camera :(

gandhi said:
Just as an aside, next year, why don't we have a running total for the year? I think if we had a 'photography forums photographer of the year' it might encourage people to enter on a regular basis. I know it's slightly unfair to those that join halfway through the year, but if enough people enter every month then I think the lead developed would be marginal enough to even it back out again.

I'm sure somebody's already thought of this and there are a million reasons not to do it, I just can't think of any at the moment!

The main reason why we have no running totals is due to the way the judging is currently done. We only ask for a top three so it would be unfair to everyone that might just miss out on any points and if one person submits a stunning shot then that can give them an unassailable lead.

Just as being near the top would encourage regular entries (to maintain a good placing) not receiving many votes and having a lower placing could do exactly the opposite. Why bother if you have no chance?

Also the instance of people recognising a submitted photograph also makes a running total somewhat unfair in my opinion.

Back