Conspiracy theories

In my opinion conspiracy theories are usually the realm of the gullible and uneducated. The moon landing one in particular drives me crazy. How anyone of sane mind can believe those pathetic "proofs" that the conspiracy nuts come up with is beyond belief. Ignorance is just too mild a word. If you believe the moon landings were faked, then quite simply you are an idiot.

Everyone is watching.. Fetch the tinfoil hats!

I'm already wearing mine. I needed it to be safe inside this spaceship whilst waiting for the end of the world, see :bonk:

I am interested to see how many of the TP forum believe the various conspiracy theories

The moon Landings never happened

the US government were behind 9/11

the UK government was behind the death of Princess Diana

after watching various TV programs I was surprised at how many people believe them to be true

No.
No. And
No.

I've seen no evidence to support any of these theories.

But I do like a good conspiracy theory :)

Cheers.

Mostly these theories are damaging and offensive. As a proud Liverpudlian and LFC fan it was more than emotional to see the high Court squash the accidental death theory this week.

Mostly these theories are damaging and offensive. As a proud Liverpudlian and LFC fan it was more than emotional to see the high Court squash the accidental death theory this week.

But wasn't that an example of a conspiracy theory being proven fact?
Then what about Pat Finucane?

:tumbleweed:

I am with Neil, lets remember to keep everything civil.

As for the conspracies, did anyone watch the Andrew Maxwell series?

Please don't be offended Norters, but I think that is a whole different discussion.

I don't like conspiracy theories. I read this somewhere, may have been on this site.
Conspiracy theories happen when stupid people think they're smarter than clever people. pretty much sums it up for me.

I know someone who is really into conspiracy theories and is just incapable of listening to any reasonable argument. Any attempt to disprove his pet theories is like talking to a brick wall and dismissed as a "cover up".

I don't like conspiracy theories. I read this somewhere, may have been on this site.
Conspiracy theories happen when stupid people think they're smarter than clever people. pretty much sums it up for me.

I like that! Going in my quote list.
:)

Don't agree with any of them myself.

An old school friend I have on facebook has some good ones.....

The MMR jab is a way of medically "branding" everyone like some kind of DNA tag :bonk:

And the latest one...........

The latest shootings in the US (the School and the Cinema) were orchestrated by Obama's government so that people would change their mind about the country's gun laws and they'd be able to change the constitution :bonk::shrug:

I'm seriously thinking of un-friending the guy but it's always interesting to see what he's going to come up with next :LOL:

I think its a bit rich to say all conspiracy theories are false and invented by stupid people. You can't generically state that.

The three that are listed in the OP I don't believe in though

In my opinion conspiracy theories are usually the realm of the gullible and uneducated. The moon landing one in particular drives me crazy. How anyone of sane mind can believe those pathetic "proofs" that the conspiracy nuts come up with is beyond belief. Ignorance is just too mild a word. If you believe the moon landings were faked, then quite simply you are an idiot.

Just as an aside. Why is it that if a person decides to have a different point of view, or belief, you call them "stupid" or "an idiot"? Surely anybody is entitled to their personal beliefs without being belittled or insulted!
For Gods sake, live and let live. Life's too short to be a hater!

I love a good conspiracy theory! Tupac has yet to reappear though. :(

also, I think that there are elements of truth in many conspiracy theories, but that different people elaborate on them and i don't think all the facts in them are true. But some are.

Like the london bombings - the evidence of that image does seem to indicate that one of the terrorists has been added to the image, the rest of the theory on the bombs I don't see any evidence for or believe.

I think mainlyr fetched , and conspiracy theories can easily be made regarding anything that happens.

A guy I worked with was really into it and beleaves that the illuminate /new world order are trying to cut the world population to 1/3 with swine flue/bird flue and vaccines .
I remember one day he was sure a nuclear bomb was going to go off in America because all the top people and Obama and his family all went to some other country...never happened though.

His favourite site was this http://www.infowars.com/ run by Alex jones with support from Ron Paul and Jesse ventura(the mini gun guy from predator) who are both American senators or something.

It's worth a look if your after a laugh.

also, I think that there are elements of truth in many conspiracy theories, but that different people elaborate on them and i don't think all the facts in them are true. But some are.

Like the london bombings - the evidence of that image does seem to indicate that one of the terrorists has been added to the image, the rest of the theory on the bombs I don't see any evidence for or believe.

well one could say that all conspiracy theories have an element of truth in them, simply because even a conspiracy has to be based on something that happened [or was made to look like it happened in the case of the moon landings :D ]

Seriously though, I haven't yet come across a conspiracy theory that I actually think might be true... :LOL:

pmac said:
His favourite site was this http://www.infowars.com/ run by Alex jones with support from Ron Paul and Jesse ventura(the mini gun guy from predator) who are both American senators or something.

It's worth a look if your after a laugh.

The David Icke forum is conspiraloon Grand Central

well one could say that all conspiracy theories have an element of truth in them, simply because even a conspiracy has to be based on something that happened [or was made to look like it happened in the case of the moon landings :D ]

Seriously though, I haven't yet come across a conspiracy theory that I actually think might be true... :LOL:

What about all the consipracy theories around the bible and the story we know of Jesus? I believe theres truth in some of them - mary magdelana being jesus wife etc

The David Icke forum is conspiraloon Grand Central

There are some amazing theories on that site. Mind you, considering some of the allegations made about people I'm surprised it hasn't been shut down or sued. But then, they'd claim it was proof they were right.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but...

To all the people who say that conspiracy theorist are gullible, ignorant or just plain stupid, they get their information from the same place as everyone else. That is, outside the realm of personal experience. To put it another way, the people who believe the "true story" tend not to fact check what's being told to them. Whereas the "nut" will pore over masses of badly edited youtube "documentaries" analysing each and every bit of information available to prove his or her theory.

As far as the scientific method is concerned, it seems like the "loonies" are doing their homework and actually trying to find the truth (or truths) about certain events, but the "normal" people just accept what they are told and call everyone names. And we all know how much truth the government and media has to toss about.

One last thing to stir things up a bit, have you ever googled "conspiracy theories that have been proven true"? You'll have to sift through a lot of rubbish (infowars etc), but it can make for an interesting afternoon of reading.

I like to change my mind regarding the moon landings, depending on the documentary/program I am watching.
Last week, there were a bunch of 'credible' witnesses on a program that convinced me it was hoaxed.
The other night, Mythbusters convinced me the landings are genuine :)

I think people are out of order just dismissing those of a different opinion though. If such a simplistic view of life works for you though, so be it (y)

To all the people who say that conspiracy theorist are gullible, ignorant or just plain stupid, they get their information from the same place as everyone else. That is, outside the realm of personal experience. To put it another way, the people who believe the "true story" tend not to fact check what's being told to them. Whereas the "nut" will pore over masses of badly edited youtube "documentaries" analysing each and every bit of information available to prove his or her theory.

As far as the scientific method is concerned, it seems like the "loonies" are doing their homework and actually trying to find the truth (or truths) about certain events, but the "normal" people just accept what they are told and call everyone names. And we all know how much truth the government and media has to toss about.

One last thing to stir things up a bit, have you ever googled "conspiracy theories that have been proven true"? You'll have to sift through a lot of rubbish (infowars etc), but it can make for an interesting afternoon of reading.

well said!!!

I love a good conspiracy theory, and by good I mean one that is actually feasible.

I'd be very concerned if everyone thought that everything that ever happened in this world was exactly as the press or state reported it to be.

Your all dead now because the world has just died and this is just all a figment of the interwebs that I am reading

But dont you find the people with the most stubborn point of view, are the people who believe in the outlandish conspiracies?
Take the clear evidence provided for evolution in the above mentioned Andrew Maxwell programme 'Conspiracy Road Trip: Creationism' and the quite stretched logic / thought process to counter the evidence. (particularly 45-50 minutes in).

Last edited by a moderator:
Take the clear evidence provided for evolution in the above mentioned Andrew Maxwell programme 'Conspiracy Road Trip: Creationism' and the quite stretched logic / thought process to counter the evidence. (particularly 45-50 minutes in).

I wouldn't lump a religious belief into the same category as the OPs original examples, or other 'events' such as the holocaust, JFK etc. :shrug:

Just as an aside. Why is it that if a person decides to have a different point of view, or belief, you call them "stupid" or "an idiot"? Surely anybody is entitled to their personal beliefs without being belittled or insulted!
For Gods sake, live and let live. Life's too short to be a hater!

If you put an apple in my hand and said "I have put an apple in your hand" and I told you that you hadn't, you pointed to it, touched it, took measurements of it, photographed it in my hand etc and I continued to deny it was there despite overwhelming proof to the contrary, wouldn't you think I was an idiot? That is what lunar landing conspiracy idiots do.

I wouldn't lump a religious belief into the same category as the OPs original examples, or other 'events' such as the holocaust, JFK etc. :shrug:

But how else do creationists view the evidence against creationism if not a conspiracy?

Do you know what, Ricardodaforce, You won't get me to bite, I like this site, but I know you're trolling for an argument by your continued use of the word "idiot". Just because one person says something, and another says something else, doesn't make anyone an idiot. If you denied the existence of said apple, I would simply ask, what do you see then. Could make for an interesting discussion. But not with you because you think everyone who doesn't agree with your point of view is an "idiot"

Do you know what, Ricardodaforce, You won't get me to bite, I like this site, but I know you're trolling for an argument by your continued use of the word "idiot". Just because one person says something, and another says something else, doesn't make anyone an idiot. If you denied the existence of said apple, I would simply ask, what do you see then. Could make for an interesting discussion. But not with you because you think everyone who doesn't agree with your point of view is an "idiot"

And you say I am trolling?

If you put an apple in my hand and said "I have put an apple in your hand" and I told you that you hadn't, you pointed to it, touched it, took measurements of it, photographed it in my hand etc and I continued to deny it was there despite overwhelming proof to the contrary, wouldn't you think I was an idiot? That is what lunar landing conspiracy idiots do.

Not really comparable though is it?

Conspiracy theories are usually associated with events that we do not experience first hand. So the information we receive goes through the normal rigmaroles of the media and/or government. If something doesn't add up (JFK a great example) then of course people with question the information they are fed.

Being handed an object and not believing its existence is completely different.

in your example you actually physically have the object in your hand so you know. In the other examples you have no hard evidence, only what people are telling you.

For the two examples to be the same you yourself would have had to go to space.

Back