Contact lenses

Name
pretty obvious really.
Edit My Images
Yes
A question for contact lens wearers, do you sometimes get a lens that just doesn’t work?

I only wear them when I’m on my bike or walking in the peak district in winter and occasionally I get one that just isn’t right, I wear them for distance and the pair I’ve had in today the left one was fine but the right was as if I didn’t have one in. I’ve had others out of the same box and they’ve been fine.

I only wear them when I’m on my bike or walking in the peak district in winter and occasionally I get one that just isn’t right, I wear them for distance and the pair I’ve had in today the left one was fine but the right was as if I didn’t have one in. I’ve had others out of the same box and they’ve been fine.
Try swapping them over.
I've worn lenses for over 40 years and never had a bad one.
I've mixed them up, and it's only one that doesn't feel right when I do. Not sure why it's only one though.

Try swapping them over.
I've worn lenses for over 40 years and never had a bad one.
I've mixed them up, and it's only one that doesn't feel right when I do. Not sure why it's only one though.
I cant do that, I have a different prescription in each eye

I've tried lenses this last year - two weekly and also dailies. I've mostly given up now as I think I need some that are long distance only. My current ones are a compromise and I can't get critical focus with them - no good for photography.

I had some trouble with a daily one - just didn't feel comfortable. I took it out, rinsed it in solution and put it in again and it was fine. I think they can turn inside out in the wrapping before you've used it and it's hard to tell. I also scrutinise them with a magnifying glass as the tiniest bit on them makes them uncomfortable. I think it's easy to get tiny lint bits on your fingers.

So do I,
Is there a chance you got them mixed up?
No If that was the case they would both be wrong. Besides I put a big L and R on the boxes then put them either side of my mirror so theres no chance of mixing them up.

A question for contact lens wearers, do you sometimes get a lens that just doesn’t work?

VERY occasionally - as in 2 or 3 over 15+years of wearing daily disposables.

I've got different strengths in each eye and as well as marking the boxes L&R and keeping them on opposite sides of the drawer, I run a Sharpie along the back of the plastic packaging - red for the left and green for the right. I can never remember which strength goes in which eye so just looking at the numbers doesn't help me identify which eye the thing needs to go in!

You're describing the exact effect of an edema (don't worry - it just means you eye may be swollen). A slight inflammation of the eye causes it to swell slightly, pushing the lens off the surface and making it not "work". My optician explained this to me when I had the same. Leave it a few days and it should sort itself out. If it doesn't, go and see an expert.

A warm damp flannel on your eye for 10 mins may well help. Even if it doesn't, it feels nice.

OT insofar as the OP's question but relevant to all contact lens wearers, all contact lens packaging (bubbles and foil) as well as the lenses themselves can be dropped off at some branches of Boots (presumably those with an in-store optician department) for recycling.

If it feels wrong, it is probably inverted. If it feels ok, but isn't focused, perhaps you have them the wrong way round if the prescription varies between eyes.

No If that was the case they would both be wrong.
Not necessarily. The weaker lens in the weaker eye would have soft focus but the stronger lens in the better eye might not be noticed.

red for the left and green for the right.
Starboard and port contact lenses!

Steve.

Last edited:
My 50p is going on one they are inside out, very easy to do and very easy to not see it even when looking directly at them. Some have writing on, some just have slightly flared edges.

Also worth noting that biking, be it cycling or motorbiking are tough on contacts, they collect a lot of dirt, absorb moisture from the air in mist or spray, and generally take the occasional wasp and bug impact. Try wearing some cycling glasses or keeping the visor down, it may help.

Inside out feels very wrong straight away, even with my very thin (low prescription) daily disposables. Oddly, I can see OK with them, they just feel wrong so I pop the offending one out and turn it outside out and replace it in my eye, usually with a drop of the packaging liquid.

Inside out feels very wrong straight away, even with my very thin (low prescription) daily disposables. Oddly, I can see OK with them, they just feel wrong so I pop the offending one out and turn it outside out and replace it in my eye, usually with a drop of the packaging liquid.
Usually, an inverted lens feels wrong straight away. Occasionally though, it can feel ok looking straight ahead, but odd if you move your eyes sideways or up and down. The focus is still correct except at the sides.

Steve.

Back