Coohullin's 52 - Week 26 Beginnings (pg 10)

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Everyone,

First post on TP although I have been lurking in the shadows for the last month or so.

I'm a complete beginner when it comes to taking the camera off auto-settings so am hoping to learn loads from the forum and the 52 will give me some structure and force me to get stuck in.

All feedback gratefully appreciated so feel free to comment and I shall endeavour to do the same to as many as possible.

So here we go.....Curved: A Hurley and Sliothar used in the Irish game of Hurling

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46129516@N02/4242176088

4242179408_8e22e1c215.jpg

Lesson Learned:

1. I know nothing about Photoshop Elements, or pp in general, so lots to learn.
2. Felt very self-conscious out and about on my first walkaround with camera and tripod and started to rush things so need to get out a lot more to get comfortable with things.
3. Be prepared to make mistakes without getting frustrated...there will be plenty more to deal with.

4. Figure out how to display my pics on this site!!!

Last edited:
I am working on it but am struggling! Apologies.

hee hee try this...

4242179408_8e22e1c215.jpg

nicely curved "stick thingy" (hurley?) btw

if you want to see how it's done - just click the Quote button next to my post
then paste the relevant bit into yours
I'll take mine down then!

Last edited:
like that one ... curved ball, curves on the ball and a curved stick ! Nice and sharp too.

Hi Allan,

For somebody who felt a bit uncomfortable and says they've got loads to learn, I think that's an amazing start to your 52.

I love the B&W conversion and there's some beautiful wood grain in the hurley? (stick thingy :)) and on the floor.
Very nice composition, the angle gives a really nice feeling of perspective.
I'd like to offer a suggestion to improve it, but I really just like it the way it is.

So pleasing on the eyes, great great start to the project!!!

Very nice (y) - its works well in B&W "very punchy", however as mentioned, would have been nice to see it run parallel with the floor.

Graham
______

Thank you for all the positive comments and helpful feedback - much appreciated.

As for the floor - it is actually a butcher-block kitchen worktop and it had never occured to me to align the grain of the hurley with the background....in many of the shots I took with full length of the hurley showing it simply wasn't possible to position it in that way. I did use a wood floor at one point but there wasn't the same contrast between the woods so returned to the worktop.

The writing on the ball I did think about and tried but given the ridge on the ball I would have had to use blu-tack (or equivalent) to position it correctly....ideally I would have liked a ball with less text/graphics but was all I had to hand.

And the B+W conversion is pretty much an auto-setting from Elements so am unable to claim too much credit for that one!

cheers,

Carl

A great start to your 52 Could easily see this on the wall in a sports bar (y)

Lovely sharp picture but I for one would have liked to seen a bit of colour as I like the grains in the wood, and I not a keen lover on black and white but may have to get used to it !!

But that is a personal thing and welcome to the forum and will watch your pictures with interest.

I actually like the grain of the hurley going off at a tangent.... but thats personal taste I suppose. Also I'm a lover of B&W and think you have done a great conversion.

My only crit is the writing on the ball not being level.

Nice shot and a great start

I really like it. I think it works because it's rather an obscure tool. Not something we all have lying around. I actually like the grain running in 2 directions though... maybe i'm wierd. (y)

I think it's a very pleasing composition and works well in b&w. Well done for week 1.

Carl, that's superb, lovely curves in both the stick and the ball, sharp throughout and wonderful textures in both the floor and the stick, great start to the 52.

So here we go with week 2: Poem/Poetry

I can't say I enjoyed this one....too broad a theme for me I think! I ended up with 4 different ideas so may add a couple more in here over the course of this week.

First one for a bit of retro fun harks back to my younger days of 'Eenie Meenie Miny Mo.....' to find out which one of my friends was 'It!'

4263646016_9d30ab9210_m.jpg

But I shall go with something a little more grown-up.....'A Red Red Rose by Robert Burns'

4262895937_8cb36f5337_m.jpg

Last edited:
Really like both of them :D Especially the lovely red created in the Rose image :)

Could do with posting them a bit bigger I think though?

Daniel

I love your week 1 picture (y)

I prefer the second image for week 2 I think, lovely colours and composition :)

Week 1.... Lovely shot, b&w works well.

Week 2.... I'd go with the first, it's nice to see a little humour in peoples ideas.

ahh images are back :)

I like the first one best - it made me smile and it's nice to see a good imagination at work !

I love the B+W one, fun image.. but think the rose suits the theme better, nice vibrant colour

Love the feet image, and why you chose it! Good interpretation of the theme! (y)

Eenie meenie is a very fun shot, would like to see it in colour. Would like to see both bigger when posted though :)

looking at them bigger.. think I prefer the shoes :) like the B+W version.. great idea

the rose is closer to the theme (for me)
I wonder if it would look better with the rose at more of an angle, so it grows out of the bottom corner of the shot?

I did prefer the rose shot until you posted the colour version of eenie meanie...

That's the winner for me (y)

Carl, a pair of good shots. It's an Eenie Meenie moment for me :D... I like both of them, the Mono feet works nicely, but so does the Rose.. I think the Rose probably fits the theme a little better.

Back