cooor blimey missus!..its all going off at ocuk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
aw group hug! :p

Get off me you bummer </spaced> :D

How on Earth do a bunch of people who came together in the first place for the love of a common pastime end up at such loggerheads??? :shrug:

I think its because the members did and the big man didn't. As has been said, people have to tread on eggshells around him in case they incur his wrath. You can't treat him like any other member and post an honest opinion. You must respect his authoritay! Its like even if you don't break any rules of the forum he'll ban you if he thinks you're having a pop at him in some way.

Doesn't seem like the wisest of business decisions by Spie either to start peeing off so many regular customers.

Seems to be his main hobby though. The console forum was fun last year. He neglected to inform the mod team that the store was selling Xbox's and just told them to clamp down on competitor chat. The members didn't have a clue why because the sites they mentioned weren't competitors. So the mod's didn't know why they were being asked to ban people. No-one knew a thing apart from Spie. He could have said something and it would have been cleared up right away. He didn't and the result was mass banings across the console forum and half the forum left. Then theres the time where he removed half the mod team because of uber paranoia. :shrug:

Making a mountain out of a molehill helps nobody. It's all water under the bridge. The best thing to do now is to move on and strive to improve things :)

People seem to be afraid of change for the better.

Better in your opinion maybe. The intervention of moderators controlling the judges is pointless. It was working fine before, and i for one was happy with the way it was going.

I think your find the moderators are afraid to have something on the forums they don't have control ever.

Thanks for the ban, it took you guys long enough :LOL:

Personally i'm just annoyed in the way it was done. The guy doesn't seem to appreciate the effort that goes in to these things, and just makes big sweeping and over the top actions to put things 'right'. From my point of view, as a judge for about a year, it's just rude to be 'removed' of my position in that way. It's like being sacked from your job by someone putting a big poster on the wall at work - it's unprofessional, and doesn't make you look that great for doing it.

The comp was always a members thing, and it was never a serious competition, it was a bit of fun. Interventions like this aren't great really are they? and look what's happened to that forum now. Lots of people have been banned/suspended, and these are people who were actively involved in the place. This could have been handled a lot better in my opinion.

The photo comp there has been through FAR worse times. I should know as I've been there since the start. It always came back and never needed any official help. Personally it doesn't make any sense. Adding a "security" check on who can be a judge doesn't really seem like the best way to make headway in getting it back on track. The way I see it is that none of this wouldn't have happened if morgan was just a normal member. It really seems like "OMG a judge did what?!?! Right I want control."

What happened with Colin was pathetic.

Scuzi, with all due respect a lot of people from ocuk are enjoying their new home here.

I would suggest staying away from sparking off debate about ocuk on here, and that sort of response and tone really isn't appreciated either. If you want to continue with sort of attitude I hope you take it back to where you have 'Don' in your forum title.

We're all nice here :hug:

Scuzi, with all due respect a lot of people from ocuk are enjoying their new home here.

I would suggest staying away from sparking off debate about ocuk on here, and that sort of response and tone really isn't appreciated either. If you want to continue with sort of attitude I hope you take it back to where you have 'Don' in your forum title.

:popcorn:

I never said anything about them, I wish them all the best :)

My response and 'tone' isn't appreciated but bragging about going to try to get banned is? :bang:

I'm not out to make enemies, I'm doing my best to try to smooth things out. People who share the attitude of FranchiseJuan really aren't helping matters though.

I'd just like to make it clear that I hold no grudges against anyone.

The photo comp is apparently been going downhill...really? No one really made a fuss, and if it is, what has that got to do with the mods and the running of the forum?

Lets say its true, the comp has gone downhill, then why did they take back a judge that was part of that "problem" ?

Also how is vetting helps moving things in the right direction? What direction? People can only get the job now if they can show they can hand in their work on time? If it is for other reasons then what has that for to do with photography?

Why ban Colin at all? He did not break any rules what so ever.

Scuzi, I have nothing against you, it is obvious the decision wasn't yours so I hope you don't take the above personally. Ok, and I agree I can see that when this is all settled down it probably won't change anything, and it will be forgotten in a matter of days. But like others have said, it could and would have gone a LOT smoothly if it was handled better.

Well it seems that the persistent whinging has had an effect, be it positive or otherwise. It's been announced that the comps carry on as usual, with no changes (for now at least).

Damn shame so many people got suspended/banned/perma'd for this though.

Never mind though. Just hopefully things will straighten themselves out in due course.

Weren't TPF set up partly because of the difficulties in expressing an opinion on OcUK?

It's been said before, the OcUK forums are Spies' property, he can pretty much do and say as he pleases, he has some funny ideas and is not known for his willingness to listen, arguing with him leads nowhere except a ban.
In the long run you either put up with it or move on, I moved on a couple of years ago when the original TPF was founded.

its nice to see some familiar faces here.

Going to make myself comfy here from now on if its ok with everyone :D

Having never been there, it sounds like a place I never want to visit :LOL: TPF is where I live - it's my comfort blanket and the ONLY photography based forum I ever visit these days.

Well it seems that the persistent whinging has had an effect, be it positive or otherwise. It's been announced that the comps carry on as usual, with no changes (for now at least)..

I think it means he's not changing his mind

Well we've already had on RTM about this thread.

Please play nice. You all know we don't moderate with a heavy hand here, we simply ask people to be civil to each other.
I don't care what positions people hold on other forums, or what beef they have elsewhere, but here, everyone gets a clean slate.

With that in mind, I've edited two offensive/rude comments.

Having never been there, it sounds like a place I never want to visit :LOL: TPF is where I live - it's my comfort blanket and the ONLY photography based forum I ever visit these days.

I'm with you there Min and, having read Bod's latest post, hope the status quo remains here. There's only one monstrous ego and he's on holiday :D (only kidding matty:LOL: ). I'm letting mine out less ofter too ;)

Just peeped in on this thread and would just like to say...
Welcome to all you new peeps form the 'other place'(y)

Enjoy TPF, its a fab place to settle, no iron fist here ... just a few pink fluffy fairies ;)
Hope the dust settles on this thread soon ... I for one couldnt give a flying fig about what they do 'over there'! :D

Enjoy TPF, its a fab place to settle, no iron fist here ... just a few pink fluffy fairies ;)

No need to talk about Matty like that when he is not here to defend himself :LOL: :LOL:

Well I have no gripe with ocuk, I've never posted over there AFAIAA, and I hope they resolve their differences. We certainly don't want it spilling over here as has been said. It's interesting to see the differences between the way we run the comps though. Here on TPF it's the members who vote for the entries which are kept as anonymous as possible. As we have members here of all different levels of experience, they'll use very different parameters in arriving at their choices, but the system does seem in the main to produce worthy winners.

'Pro' judges would probably asses each entry on technical merit, interpretation of the set theme, and aesthetic nature of the shot, each judge arriving at his choices which may not be the same as the others. The judges would then discuss their choices and arrive on a winner(s) which they can mutually agree on. In theory that system should produce the deserving winners depending on the experience and good judgement the judges bring to the table.

We did start off writing a critique of comp entries in the early days of this forum but as the membership has grown and the numbers of entries has increased it's become more of an onerous task and it's tended to fall by the wayside, although anyone is welcome to post an entry in the Critique forum after the comp for member opinion and feedback. I can understand though to some degree how it's very easy to fall behind with what is quite a time consuming and demanding task on a busy forum.

All in all I think our system here is pretty cool, members entries are judged by their member peers and it does seem to produce worthy winners. The real value of competitions on a set theme is the taking part, and while it's nice to win it's not the end of the world when you don't. Take the comp seriously, but not too seriously. ;)

Just a quick Hello to the new people coming on board. :wave:

I've never been on OcUK, I'm more than happy here. I do wonder though, why these sort of people want to run a 'Hilter' regime, the same thing happens on Pixalo. Its not about inter forum war, who's the better forum etc.....

Like CT said, we're all just enjoying a hobby/interest/business shared by everyone, so why all the fuss!!!!:thinking:

We certainly don't want it spilling over here as has been said.

I really apologise if it seems that that is what I have done in posting. I'm not using this forum as a vechicle to air my views on ocuk. I just need a new home :)

I also want to post some of my work from now on (which I didnt tend to do at ocuk).

I really apologise if it seems that that is what I have done in posting. I'm not using this forum as a vechicle to air my views on ocuk. I just need a new home :)

I also want to post some of my work from now on (which I didnt tend to do at ocuk).

Well I for one hope you'll be very happy here in your new home :) Looking forward to seeing some of your work - get posting :D (y)

Glen...no idea mate :D

/puts feet up and sips a Bacardi and coke

Laid back?....I'm almost horizontal :D

Hehe I got asked to be a judge, I declined.

Wow, wouldn't have seen that one coming, unless someone nominated you :thinking: ?

:eek:

crazy place :|
I know :) I've been stealth banned twice this year because a certain someone took offense to what I said, just like with Colin but no-one knew. Crazy world eh. Glad people don't get disappeared around here. Now where exactly *is* matty? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back