Corkys 52 PART 2 --- week 52 - Texture - Thats all folks

thanks all for the comments

Brilliant idea...He He He...Works great for the theme...and the crumbs don't bother me at all...(y)

Passion: clever well framed (with the echoing poster behind) and spot on theme!

Water: Superb timing! Busy bubbly shot! Perhaps a bit too busy but nonetjeless

Reflection reshoot: thats a stonking shot - crsytal clear reflection! Great greens

Out of context: hahaha - nice one - well set up and spot on theme - love the lighting and colour!

Time was against me this week and I was finding it difficult to put a shot together. Ended up chasing bubbles around the kitchen.....good job the neighbours didn't spot me!

bubbles21of1.jpg

So nearly missed this one this week, and it's absolutely BRILLIANT!!!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I had a brief attempt at catching bubbles in flight and it's NOT easy. . . then you go and get two of them!
Lovely clear definition on the bubbles and great sparkles of light in them.
I love the use of dof, just a shame that the microwave stands out a bit too much in the background.

Well done from me too Jon (y) :clap::clap::clap: I tried the same kind of shot and just couldn't get the focus right. I'd have been tempted to clone out some of the white from the microwave to make the background a bit more fuzzy. But that's just being picky ;)

Now this is really good! Love it (y) The only *tiny* niggle is the left bubble is just slightly out of focus, probably could have done with a smaller aperture to widen that DOF. But apart from that I'm well impressed. It was really difficult capturing 1 bubble never mind 2 :clap:

P.S. you're kitchen looks identical to mine when it's out of focus... are you sure you didn't sneak into my house and nick my bubbles :LOL:

Well done for getting in your shot...(y)

It's a great one too... as said shame the micro ovens a bit to clear but it's still a cracking shot, so much harder to get moving bubbles...i'm very impressed...:clap::clap::clap:

Very well done Jon... I considered this sort of thing for about 2 seconds... before moving on for various reasons... not least not having suitable equipment to do the bubbles...

I like it and it's spot on theme

Last week i chased bubbles round the house, and this week I did the same, but chasing "the cat" this time. I kind of think that he thinks the camera is a gun thats going to do him damage. As soon as he sees me with the camera , he's off!!

downlow21of1.jpg

Another good shot from you this week Jon...:clap:

Love the detail you got in the shot and the focus is spot on...:clap:

Only a little picky because I like it so much, but a little more space around the left ear... but is a great shot for this weeks theme...(y)

Great shot! And fits the theme perfectly. My only niggle is the carpet is very busy and a little distracting. But under the circumstances of a very camera shy cat we can overlook that one!

(y)

Knowing how difficult it is to get a cat to do anything but run when there's a camera around, well done. I agree the carpet is a bit busy but that's the cat's fault not yours :D

I'd like to see the eyes a bit more in focus, but, overall, a good interpretation of the theme (y)

Catch up time for me, Corky. :)

Bubbles: Wow, 2 cracking good bubbles (the slight softness on the edge of the left one doesn't detract at all for me). The colours are amazing and I'd have loved to see you chasing them around the kitchen - the things we do for the 52! :LOL:

Excellent shot. :clap::clap::clap:

Low Down: If dogs are hard to shoot, cats are impossible. Well done on this. You've caught an expression of bored indifference to the camera (brilliant!) and those whiskers are magnificent. A definite (y) from me.

Jean

So sorry . . . I somehow missed this one last week.

I have the same struggle with trying to get the dog to stay still for photos - so well done on even getting a shot of him!
And then to get a good shot too . . . doubly well done!!!!

I love the expression on his face and as has been said the whiskers are fantastic. My only niggle is that I'd like the eyes to be a bit sharper. Probably really unfair of me to say that though, because I know how difficult pet portraits can be.

Time & inclination went out the door this week , but I had to come up with a shot....this is the best of a range I took to convey the theme, but not happy with any of them

doomgloom1of1.jpg

That's a clear message of Doom and Gloom, Corky. Lacking inspiration or not - it's bang on theme. (y)

The only consolation is that the depressing figures are in billions, not trillions. I'm tempted to add 'like the UK economy'. :crying:

At first glance, I thought it was a little under lit, but thinking about it, the lighting adds to the Doom and Gloom and works well. :)

Jean

That's a clear message of Doom and Gloom, Corky.

The only consolation is that the depressing figures are in billions, not trillions. I'm tempted to add 'like the UK economy'. :crying:

Jean

Ah, But your economy is not turning into a "basket case"

Well thought out and conveyed. Could easily see that photo as part of an article/publication. Nicely done (y)

Nice shot. I think the vignette is just right if you ask me. The photo looks a little depressing to me..which fits in with the Doom and Gloom theme nicely.

We had the same thought process Corky, yours is better though. Great stuff!

One of the important bits of kit when you go to sea is a VHF transiever which not only keeps you up to date with traffic movements and weather forecasts, but when the s..t hits the fan, you can scream for help on the Distress channel 16. This is the fixed set on my boat, but I always carry 2 spare handheld radios................just in case!

Lighting was by way of my headtorch and the red LED. And if any of you are navigators, the lat/long will tell you where my boat lives.

Communication1of1.jpg

And if any of you are navigators, the lat/long will tell you where my boat lives.

:LOL: Well you've got no worries about me suddenly starting to stalk you . . . without referring to a map that could be anywhere in the world to me :razz:
(I'm not sure that I would have even got the communication link if you hadn't explained - that's my ignorance and not your shot BTW.)

Really creative use of lighting. It adds a great atmosphere to the shot and suits the subject matter perfectly.
There's something fascinating about this too. I keep looking back at it and scrutinising the various buttons and dials. It looks incredibly tactile. I almost want to reach into the shot and start pressing things.

Last edited:
oh gawd I'm sorry I'm so behind on these :(

Bubbles: hard one this - and yours is simple and to the point :) I agree left bubble is a little oof but the right one is spot on :) Good catch!

Low Down: What a beauty :) (in fact a dead ringer for my own cat) I like that one - and the expression is a gem ("come on get it over with :)")

Doom and Gloom: On theme, very much so :) The underlit effect as Jean says adds to the gloominess :) Nice idea!

Communication: Technically beyond me :D (apart from a similar urge to press buttons like Sarah :) )The lighting is good and eye catching :) Good theme meeting shot!

One of the important bits of kit when you go to sea is a VHF transiever which not only keeps you up to date with traffic movements and weather forecasts, but when the s..t hits the fan, you can scream for help on the Distress channel 16. This is the fixed set on my boat, but I always carry 2 spare handheld radios................just in case!

Lighting was by way of my headtorch and the red LED. And if any of you are navigators, the lat/long will tell you where my boat lives.

I love this, Corky. You've frramed it just right and the colours work really well. With a headtorch like that for lighting, who needs expensive speedlights. :D

I hope you never need to use Channel 16. :eek: Like everyone else so far, I'm clueless about navigation, so I guess that means we'll all miss the onboard party tonight. :LOL:

Jean

Really good idea! Be surprised if anyone else thought of this one. It's a little bit too red for me, but overall I like it (y)

Great idea and I love the dramatic lighting! I tried to find you but by my calculations you are aground....:wacky: :D

Great idea and I love the dramatic lighting! I tried to find you but by my calculations you are aground....:wacky: :D

You are probably right....The boat is on a trailer in my garage!!

Doom & Gloom - ok it might not be the most inspired idea you have ever had but the lighting actually works really well and it is bang on theme.

Communication - I'm also in the no idea but like pressing buttons camp so your boat is safe for another day! Again the lighting is interesting and the composition is good (y)

Low Down, very nice take, and it certainly is low... Well done on finally pinning the cat down

Doom and Gloom, very indeed. The lighting works well, and it shows doom and gloom to me..

Communication, I like this a lot, spot on theme too.. as for the button pushers... whilst on the emergency channel ... anyway, as for your location, your name gives it away... (I did check the long/lat coords ;))

Great take on Doom & Gloom...:clap:

Communication... brilliant, nothing fancy in pp, just a great shot and spot on theme...(y)

I like the thought process to D&G, and the colours in Communication are nicely done too.:)

Tried all sorts of arty farty type shots and just coudn't hack it. Ended up with the basic portrait type shot although added a bit of "aged" pp to reflect
how I feel

self1of1.jpg

Back