Corvid numbers.

Getting lots of blackbirds, jackdaws, crows in the garden (south Wales), hard to be sure but I'd guess the numbers are up

The kites have been in the area a long time, but no flying directly over the house so much.

I wonder if this is a typical pattern but we seemed to have buzzards first which could be seen soaring over surrounding farmland then kites appeared and, in terms of "up there" and soaring on thermals and on the wind, it can be either species, sometimes being mobbed by rooks.

Of late there has been at least one buzzard at about or lower than rooftop height flying along the line of adjoining back-to-back back gardens: this was before the hedgerow birds had fledged: it was such a clear pattern that it struck me it could have been on the lookout for domestic pets in gardens rather than birds. Ten years ago we might have seen a sparrow hawk kinda jetting through at maybe 12 feet above ground but that used to count as a rare treat.

it was such a clear pattern that it struck me it could have been on the lookout for domestic pets in gardens rather than birds
Buzzards are lazy carrion feeders, with small feet, they generally kill nothing bigger than mice or worms,
Baby birds in the nest would also be fair game.

A big old daddy Carrion Crow, every year, has a nest atop the tallest tree "Out back"
And stands guard from the roof ariels, chasing off any others that dare to come near.
Well, it looks like his duty is over for another year.
A couple of hours ago there were 6 young crows looking awfully confused sitting on the roof opposite me.
It's chucking it down and plenty of trees to choose from.
They'll learn, no doubt.

Well, it looks like his duty is over for another year.
A couple of hours ago there were 6 young crows looking awfully confused sitting on the roof opposite me.
It's chucking it down and plenty of trees to choose from.
They'll learn, no doubt.
You can see the shock in their faces, after they get chased off .. poor sods :D

We've got a few little ones that are now on their own, a Greenfinch, a Robin, couple of B.Tits and a few Sparrows.

We have loads of corvids in this part of the Wilts/Dorset borders. Mainly Crows & Jackdaws.

Was watching my feeders today and I'm pleased to report lots of young Chaffinches, plenty of Goldies, and a few Greenies to. Blue, Great & LT Tits all seem stable. We have a lot of hedgerows around here, so our Sparrow numbers are high, and we we have young Dunnocks as well. The Starlings that nested in the loft did well too.

I haven't seen our local Sparrowhawk for some time, maybe he has easier pickings elsewhere.

Edit: Forgot the Blackbirds, again, loads of them this year, had 4 males all in the garden at the same time today.

Last edited:
Plenty of rooks around at the front, on the road and the front gardens but they're very rare visitors into the back, probably because there's not much for them there. Too many magpies on both sides. Plenty of assorted LBJs, tits and finches on the seeds and fatballs.

You can blame Chris Packham for the increase:

It's actually a very good article but to blame Packham for the increase in crow numbers is a bit of a stretch........

And the article is four years out of date. Things have moved on since then.

Last edited:
species are on the up at our place, loads of Goldfinches and Blue Tits this year, costing me a fortune on Sunflower hearts. Wood Pigeons are a nuisance as usual and the Mags frequent now and again.
Not many crows although I do spot the odd one now and again.

Other than the occasional blue tit, robin or goldfinch it is mainly pigeons and magpies here. I have tried various feeders and feeds to get the smaller birds to stay, but they do not seem interested.

It's actually a very good article but to blame Packham for the increase in crow numbers is a bit of a stretch........

And the article is four years out of date. Things have moved on since then.
Chris Packham is many things, including a hypocrite* ( yes I have met him)
and to credit him with a DEFRA decision is a bit of a stretch.

* for a start he is against keeping animals in cages, and his girl friend owns a zoo on the Isle of wight

Last edited:
Well, numbers of LBJs are recovering, though not fully back yet. There's now a good mix of adult and juve blue and great tits, plus a small number of sparrows. No cole or Long tailed tits, gold finches, robins and only very occasional GSWs. Pigeons and jackdaws have been consistently present, but smaller birds disappeared completely for several weeks.

From the mix of juve and adult tits I'd say that they have not been wiped out, but left the area for a while.

Last edited:
Seed consumption has gone up here now this year's juveniles are "weaned"! They still try to get mummy and daddy to feed them but manage OK on their own.

From the mix of juve and adult tits I'd say that they have not been wiped out, but left the area for a while.
Its been a bit quiet here for a couple of weeks.
Hardly any birds save feral pigeons occasionally, half a dozen juvenile Magpies and of course the resident Red kites.
IIRC this happened around this time last year as well. I wonder where they go, and I'm sure they'll "do an Arnie" before too long.

It’s not so much an increase in corvid numbers but a real lack of ALL other species , I think the weather and also bird flu has struck really noticeably this year . The only thing I’m getting in the garden feeders lately is sparrows ..

I bet they'll be making the most of the seeds in the hedgerows, currently they may be enjoying the harvests that are in full swing, they'll be plundering gardens in full again soon :LOL:

Judging by the colour of the bird s*** on the white car 2 away from mine, they are indeed enjoying the blackberries! Then again, so am I (but I rarely dump on cars...)

Judging by the colour of the bird s*** on the white car 2 away from mine, they are indeed enjoying the blackberries! Then again, so am I (but I rarely dump on cars...)
Sorry, I should have put fruits too :)

I should hope you don't :LOL:

We look out over a field with a copse beyond - long time rookery site. (Sussex High Weald)

They are noisy, but I quite like having them there, especially when they circle the area preparing to roost and all make a peculiar 'pinging' noise - numbers defiantly up this year despite the arrival of Red Kites over the last couple of years.

There are plenty of Rook-Kite / Rook-Buzzard confrontations...the rooks make quite a commotion!

It’s not so much an increase in corvid numbers but a real lack of ALL other species , I think the weather and also bird flu has struck really noticeably this year . The only thing I’m getting in the garden feeders lately is sparrows ..

I have noticed that we are currently getting visits from mixed flocks of small birds (eg bluetit, great tit) to our garden, even though they very rarely normally appear here. They are all or mostly juveniles, and probably just roam around the area looking for food. (insects at the moment) . I have recently seen similar mixed flocks in woodland. I think that is the pattern from now until the beginning of the next breeding season.

Blue tits seem interested in the nest boxes early in the spring, but the housies just dominate.

...the rooks make quite a commotion!

This I can vouch for. I take my feeders down overnight as despite them having small holes for small birds only, the Rooks figured out that if they knock the feeders off the stand, they spill onto the ground. The noise at 5 am was not good. :eek:

I've seen fewer numbers of birds in general this last few months. This is fairly normal as they're busy nesting but they just don't seem to be bouncing back this year, which they usually are by now. I have a family of Goldfinches in the garden, about 5, 3 or 4 Siskins, a couple of Greenfinches, Chaffinches etc, so a decent variety but just not the numbers I'm used to. :thinking:

Rook numbers are down, despite us having them in the garden, I don't see many crows, which is unusual and a resident pair of nearby, nesting Ravens were absent this year.

I won't mention Kingfisher numbers. :oops: :$

I think the cold snap earlier in the year as well as bird flu is playing it's part.

Back