Corvid numbers.

Gav.

Challenge Owner
Name
Gav
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

Are you seeing higher Corvid numbers locally this year?

I'm seeing far more round my area this year, Magpies seem to rule the village with the Carrion Crow, even seeing Jays more often which are normally a rare sight here.

This is the first time I've seen cage traps in the fields I use, but that could be I'm pushing into land with no public ROW now while looking for the Hare. (Land owner is a Wild Foul Game keeper).

May not be linked, but are Goldfinch numbers appear lower this year too.

The harsh winter may have hit the small birds harder this year and then lead to the higher number of the predatory birds...

Last edited:
On my patch: Jackdaw numbers are up, crows seem stable & the resident Ravens have breed well this year (2 chicks). Goldfinch & Bullfinch numbers are up Greenfinch, Blue, Willow & Great tit numbers are defo down. Tree Sparrow & Dunnock numbers and most other species seem stable.
Just to note though I do feed heavily throughout winter and moderately the rest of the year so this may be skewing the numbers.

@AdamSi @Topsy @Chevin

Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it (y)

Atleast it's not just me day dreaming.

I feed our garden birds throughout the year and still noticed a drop in the Goldfinch, only one pair of Greenfinch this year and no chicks, all the others are stable.

Thanks again :)

Some crows came back to our garden to breed in an oak tree nest some crows made about five years ago. They had three chicks and the whole family hung around for several weeks after the chicks fledged. In general, we have a had a lot of birds this summer but in fairness, our garden, which is quite large and arborified (real word?), does attract birds and bats as it is secluded and has great protection -- us.

Near my area its the wood pigeons. They are absolutely everywhere!
I am sure they weren't as many about before.

Some crows came back to our garden to breed in an oak tree nest some crows made about five years ago. They had three chicks and the whole family hung around for several weeks after the chicks fledged. In general, we have a had a lot of birds this summer but in fairness, our garden, which is quite large and arborified (real word?), does attract birds and bats as it is secluded and has great protection -- us.
Good to hear, must be nice having bats so close (y)

Crows are noisy buggers to have in the garden though :LOL:

We have loads of woodies too.

I'd say over the last 15 years we have seen a large increase in the number of magpies and wood pigeons - and in the last 5 to 10 an increase in jackdaws. I think the jackdaws have displaced some of the magpies.

I reckon there has been a decrease in thrushes and blackbirds and starlings.

Not really TBH. A big old daddy Carrion Crow, every year, has a nest atop the tallest tree "Out back"
And stands guard from the roof ariels, chasing off any others that dare to come near.
At the other end of the "green" Magpies raise a family every year, usually 6. ...

But I've never seen any gold though :(

Last edited:
But I've never seen any gold though :(
Their nice with a lovely call, but they know how to make a mess!!
I think ours visit the garden for food from the local fields, never seen them nest anywhere in gardens here.

never seen them nest anywhere in gardens here.
There is a thin tree line & green out the back of me, separating back gardens by a good 50 feet, or so
It also a cut through from one part of the estate to the other.
So technically not in anyone's garden.

I'd say over the last 15 years we have seen a large increase in the number of magpies and wood pigeons - and in the last 5 to 10 an increase in jackdaws. I think the jackdaws have displaced some of the magpies.

I reckon there has been a decrease in thrushes and blackbirds and starlings.

And if you are around London, loads of parakeets too. they are probably the most annoying of the bunch!
Certainly do miss see starlings. I have seen a number of juvenile ones in the garden this year. hopefully there'll be more around.

There is a thin tree line & green out the back of me, separating back gardens by a good 50 feet, or so
It also a cut through from one part of the estate to the other.
So technically not in anyone's garden.
That close and still no visits? That's tough going :(

That close and still no visits? That's tough going :(
Oh don't get me wrong, he'll often drop by for a lump of bread, soak it in the bird bath briefly ( mucky sod :D )
and take it back to the wife and kids.

Any Hoggy food ( meat mealworms etc) still there in the morning, he'll have that too.
Its his territory, and no other corvids dare come near, well that is the magpies do, if they think he's not watching :D

Last edited:
...and then there are the squirrels!!! Too many to count at the moment and next-door-but-one thinks she's feeding the birds; think again lady.

Last edited:
We have more goldfinch this year than ever before, and some pesky magpies which are new to my garden. My usual two jays, two crows and GS woodpeckers all still around. I had heard that the local rookery seemed to be declining in numbers.

The magpies are a nuisance as they are greedy and they are aggressive towards the other birds. I'm constantly trying to scare the magpies and occasional jackdaws away.

...and then there are the squirrels!!! Too many to count at the moment and next-door-but-one thinks she's feeding the birds; think again lady.
Squizzles don't stay long in my garden.. the Bengal is always watching :LOL:

We have more goldfinch this year than ever before, and some pesky magpies which are new to my garden. My usual two jays, two crows and GS woodpeckers all still around. I had heard that the local rookery seemed to be declining in numbers.

Good to hear (y)
The magpies are a nuisance as they are greedy and they are aggressive towards the other birds. I'm constantly trying to scare the magpies and occasional jackdaws away.
I do the same

Oh don't get me wrong, he'll often drop by for a lump of bread, soak it in the bird bath briefly ( mucky sod :D )
and take it back to the wife and kids.

Any Hoggy food ( meat mealworms etc) still there in the morning, he'll have that too.
Its his territory, and no other corvids dare come near, well that is the magpies do, if they think he's not watching :D
So he's the City thug :p

It's one of those things, now you mention it.

Jackdaw numbers seem to be up.

Crows, hmmm, not really.

Raven, just the same, the odd one flies over daily.

I have heard a few more Jays, even saw one a couple of weeks ago.

Rooks, well, we have 2 that pick the scraps up from under our feeders. We get rookeries here, at least 4 close by but I've never had Rooks in the garden until this year. I'm not sure if that's a change in habits or an increase in numbers, there are tons about here normally anyway.

Edit: - just remembered, we have the odd Hooded Crow at the coast. We also have had Chough recently.

Last edited:
and then there are the squirrels!!

As per a previous post, there were 2 then there was none ;)

As for the rest, assorted Sparrows, ( about a dozen at anyone time)
Going at the hanging feeders and as previously suspected they are 100% going at the salt barriers I have put down to deter slugs.
Plus the small handful of grit that I leave out most days.

Starlings probing the lawn, a couple of dozen at anyone time,
A couple of blackbirds kicking over loose soil or the bamboo sheadings for worms and assorted grubs.

The odd passing goldfinch taking a dip in the pond.
Blue tits seem to be a rarity this year, next door has a nest box occupied, they took one look at mine this year and moved on.
Of course wood pigeons and ferals, picking up the scraps from under the seed feeders, and any bread crusts that I throw out.
That's about it really.

Oh and apart from the snow storm of feathers I find a couple of times a week, Spars feeding kids no doubt, and the red kites looking for what ever they can get.
They are rather partial to a chicken carcass

When I was working, all this activity largely went unnoticed.
Retirement has its advantages :)

Last edited:
It's one of those things, now you mention it.

Jackdaw numbers seem to be up.

Crows, hmmm, not really.

Raven, just the same, the odd one flies over daily.

I have heard a few more Jays, even saw one a couple of weeks ago.

Rooks, well, we have 2 that pick the scraps up from under our feeders. We get rookeries here, at least 4 close by but I've never had Rooks in the garden until this year. I'm not sure if that's a change in habits or an increase in numbers, there are tons about here normally anyway.

Edit: - just remembered, we have the odd Hooded Crow at the coast. We also have had Chough recently.
Cheers Dale (y) it just got me thinking so thought I'd put it out there, I'll go back to face in mud now :LOL:

As per a previous post, there were 2 then there was none ;)
(y) that's 2 closer to getting red squizzles back .. well.. a man can dream :D
As for the rest, assorted Sparrows, ( about a dozen at anyone time)
Going at the hanging feeders and as previously suspected they are 100% going at the salt barriers I have put down to deter slugs.
Plus the small handful of grit that I leave out most days.

Starlings probing the lawn, a couple of dozen at anyone time,
A couple of blackbirds kicking over loose soil or the bamboo sheadings for worms and assorted grubs.

The odd passing goldfinch taking a dip in the pond.
Blue tits seem to be a rarity this year, next door has a nest box occupied, they took one look at mine this year and moved on.
Of course wood pigeons and ferals, picking up the scraps from under the seed feeders, and any bread crusts that I throw out.
That's about it really.

Oh and apart from the snow storm of feathers I find a couple of times a week, Spars feeding kids no doubt, and the red kites looking for what ever they can get.
They are rather partial to a chicken carcass

When I was working, all this activity largely went unnoticed.
Retirement has its advantages :)
Good to hear.

that's 2 closer to getting red squizzles back .. well.. a man can dream :D
:LOL:
I do what I can :D
I know years ago, there used to be reds, in the woods near the golf course and in Woburn park itself.
I've not been there in years, so I don't know if they are in either location any more.

:LOL:
I do what I can :D
So would the cat if she could climb a drain pipe :p.. she did try first time :ROFLMAO:

I know years ago, there used to be reds, in the woods near the golf course and in Woburn park itself.
I've not been there in years, so I don't know if they are in either location any more.
I've only seen Blacks in there now, the Greys seem to be 'outside' the area. Never heard of reds here, but nice to know there could have been not long ago :)

So would the cat if she could climb a drain pipe :p
She needs more training (y)

I've only seen Blacks in there now
I saw black ones the last time I went that way, a good couple of years ago now.

Never heard of reds here, but nice to know there could have been not long ago :)
That was many many years ago but I guess they must have gone the way of the rest :(
I'm talking about the back road from Gt Brickhill to Woburn, btw.

She needs more training (y)
Silicon boots :ROFLMAO:

I saw black ones the last time I went that way, a good couple of years ago now.

That was many many years ago but I guess they must have gone the way of the rest :(
I'm talking about the back road from Gt Brickhill to Woburn, btw.
Sadly :(

I can imagine that nothing would hang around very long when confronted by a large tiger :D

Locally, Magpies and Jackdaws have had a very successful breading season.

Everywhere I've travelled around Scotland this year, there seems to be more Blackbirds than ever before.

We have more Goldfinches this year than previous years.
Something I've noticed on my travels as well
Blue Tit numbers are well down.
Greenfinches have disappeared altogether - they used to be really common in our garden.

I live within sight of a large rookery and the number of birds has been growing year on year. Housing development has encroached on previously agricultural land which used to be under the control of gamekeepers who would, of course manage the influx of rooks (plus jays and magpies) predating on ground-nesting birds which locally would mean pheasant, partridge and curlew plus tree-nesting song birds. I watched them come to roost a couple of nights ago and conservatively I'd guess at over ten thousand birds.

I don't know how long it is since farmers received an allowance "from the Ministry" toward the cost of shotgun cartridges to at least act as a deterrent.

In the gardens around me we seem to have had a good fledge of various tits, blackbirds, dunnock and finches but my robin's nest has been unused this year. Two weeks after the tits fledged 4 or 5 in my nest box a mob of magpies turned up, two adult birds and four fledglings. Noisy, ravenous flesh eaters.

Migrating house martins, swallows and swifts we haven't seen many of at all this year and I guess the cold spring and persistent winds from the north has kept them further south. The other end of the village has got a growing population of ring neck parakeets which I saw for the first time when the local golf course was closed during the covid emergency: I counted four pairs last week.

Locally, Magpies and Jackdaws have had a very successful breading season.

Everywhere I've travelled around Scotland this year, there seems to be more Blackbirds than ever before.

We have more Goldfinches this year than previous years.
Something I've noticed on my travels as well
Blue Tit numbers are well down.
Greenfinches have disappeared altogether - they used to be really common in our garden.
Cheers Mike, sad to hear about the Blue & Green ones.

I live within sight of a large rookery and the number of birds has been growing year on year. Housing development has encroached on previously agricultural land which used to be under the control of gamekeepers who would, of course manage the influx of rooks (plus jays and magpies) predating on ground-nesting birds which locally would mean pheasant, partridge and curlew plus tree-nesting song birds. I watched them come to roost a couple of nights ago and conservatively I'd guess at over ten thousand birds.

I don't know how long it is since farmers received an allowance "from the Ministry" toward the cost of shotgun cartridges to at least act as a deterrent.

In the gardens around me we seem to have had a good fledge of various tits, blackbirds, dunnock and finches but my robin's nest has been unused this year. Two weeks after the tits fledged 4 or 5 in my nest box a mob of magpies turned up, two adult birds and four fledglings. Noisy, ravenous flesh eaters.

Migrating house martins, swallows and swifts we haven't seen many of at all this year and I guess the cold spring and persistent winds from the north has kept them further south. The other end of the village has got a growing population of ring neck parakeets which I saw for the first time when the local golf course was closed during the covid emergency: I counted four pairs last week.
Cheers, I've seen a fait amount of Swallows and the odd Swift here, but no real numbers yet..
There's a lot of new housing estate going up here too, that may have something to do with it.

We've had a bird feeder for many years. The last 2 years there have been very few goldfinches. Around 6 weeks ago we suddenly stopped seeing tits, sparrows and other small birds generally. There are the usual few jackdaws, magpies, pigeons still, even the odd woodpecker. We have noticed that red kites are a lot more active here recently and wonder if that's why.

We've had a bird feeder for many years. The last 2 years there have been very few goldfinches. Around 6 weeks ago we suddenly stopped seeing tits, sparrows and other small birds generally. There are the usual few jackdaws, magpies, pigeons still, even the odd woodpecker. We have noticed that red kites are a lot more active here recently and wonder if that's why.
I guess a Redkite could spook the small birds from the area.

We have noticed that red kites are a lot more active here recently and wonder if that's why.
I've got a fair few kites here, it doesn't seem to have affected the LBJ's.
The kites have been here a few years, maybe the others have got used to them.
I have nothing to compare that with, here, though.

Having said that, I've seen 100's of starlings feeding next to kites on landfill sites,

The kites have been in the area a long time, but no flying directly over the house so much.
I'm guessing they headed down the M40 corridor about the same time as they went North from Bledlow Ridge.
There is a landfill not that far from me, which is probably their main food source.
I feed them sometimes, but not as much as I used to when I had day old chicks for my BoP's.

Back