COVID vaccine announced

It's ONE of the many things we need to adopt. We need to stop infections coming in completely if we are to eliminate infection on the island.

It all started with "the few" travelling back from January and the continuously "a few" becomes many, many many thousands. You need to cut it off at both ends. There really is no point debating about it, all the countries that has Covid under control has adopted this travel restriction strategy, this proof is in the pudding at this point. You can say you don't need to, but then those countries that hasn't, Covid isn't under control.

There is a difference between many of these countries though, but you do have a point. Its a combination of measures that works, and a travel ban could reduce the R by say 0.2, then doing x is another 0.1 and y is another 0.2, already you have knocked 0.5 off the R rate. I guess though we would need super bailouts of the travel industry especially aviation and the like.

If we had any sense we'd do what has worked well in the countries that have Covid under control. In practice, we'll probably carry on much as before and hope the vaccine deals with it.

Restricting access from Denmark was absolutely right, in case the new strain was antigenically different enough not to be recognised by immune systems that had previously met Covid, and was different enough the vaccine wouldn't work.

If we had any sense we'd do what has worked well in the countries that have Covid under control. In practice, we'll probably carry on much as before and hope the vaccine deals with it.

If we had or should it be our government had any scene we would of done this at the start instead of p***ing about and hoping, Johnson's answer to everything.
There was a piece on the news this evening giving a small incite into this governments procurement arrangements during this crisis and their complete lack of ability in dealing with supply contracts and showing the tip of the iceberg of the money they have wasted on this and other contracts,

Indeed, which is why I predict there will in fact be MORE tier 3 areas than before the lockdown by December 3rd :-(

It's ONE of the many things we need to adopt. We need to stop infections coming in completely if we are to eliminate infection on the island.

It all started with "the few" travelling back from January and the continuously "a few" becomes many, many many thousands. You need to cut it off at both ends. There really is no point debating about it, all the countries that has Covid under control has adopted this travel restriction strategy, this proof is in the pudding at this point. You can say you don't need to, but then those countries that hasn't, Covid isn't under control.
Yes but in the first months of the year we (the countries) were all at 0. Now we are all fighting severe spread within our own societies. Failing to implement the precautions thatll work to lower the spread like masks, social distancing, lockdown of high risk activities and so forth renders isolation of a few travellers worthless. It would make sense if you talk an island with no to few infected responding to flight from countries with a significantly higher number.

Yes but in the first months of the year we (the countries) were all at 0. Now we are all fighting severe spread within our own societies. Failing to implement the precautions thatll work to lower the spread like masks, social distancing, lockdown of high risk activities and so forth renders isolation of a few travellers worthless. It would make sense if you talk an island with no to few infected responding to flight from countries with a significantly higher number.

Frist months of the year much of the world were all at 0, we weren't alone. Almost everywhere in the world had lock down, yet look at them, look at us.

ps I put travel as ONE of, with the word ONE in capital. I am sure you know when I wrote that I knew FULL WELL other measures are also important but to think we could keep letting travellers in without quarantine, it would be like you keep taking antibiotics yet keep letting the dogs with rabies bite you.

Last edited:
Pfizer/BioNTech trial completed:

Seems like various bottlenecks may delay production of the various vaccines for differing reasons :( :

Pfizer/BioNTech trial completed:

Seems like various bottlenecks may delay production of the various vaccines for differing reasons :( :

If we take the risk of Covid to young healthy people (like 99%+ don't die from it) and then add to this 95% effective stats....it should be enough to protect us.

If we take the risk of Covid to young healthy people (like 99%+ don't die from it) and then add to this 95% effective stats....it should be enough to protect us.
They have to get vaccinated first :(, however playing with statistics can be a dangerous game :) and produce erroneous results if you don’t know what you are doing :(. (There are other risks, known & unknown, for young people with COVID besides dying :().

They have to get vaccinated first :(, however playing with statistics can be a dangerous game :) and produce erroneous results if you don’t know what you are doing :(. (There are other risks, known & unknown, for young people with COVID besides dying :().

That's why I leave the actual for the doctors, I just listen and rants online :p

That's why I leave the actual for the doctors, I just listen and rants online :p
The thing to remember about all cummunicable diseases is that the ones who are infected but don't show the symptoms are the real danger. :naughty:

Restricting access from Denmark was absolutely right, in case the new strain was antigenically different enough not to be recognised by immune systems that had previously met Covid, and was different enough the vaccine wouldn't work.
If it was acute and breaking news yes
But cluster 5 hasnt been seen since mid september! By the time the story got out was all over allready. And even more crazy, here months after our Prime minister suddenly finds All minks needs to be put down within a few days :thinking: so we have dead minks dropped in the roads, massgraves down by lakes used for swimming and living minks burried in the load of dead ones.

But cluster 5 hasnt been seen since mid september! By the time the story got out was all over allready. And even more crazy, here months after our Prime minister suddenly finds All minks needs to be put down within a few days :thinking: so we have dead minks dropped in the roads, massgraves down by lakes used for swimming and living minks burried in the load of dead ones.

If that's all the facts then the decision your PM made is bizarre and inexplicable, as well as ruinous financially. Could there be additional info you aren't aware of?

Here Kristian Anderson from Scripps argues that the cull is necessary anyway:
View: https://BANNED/K_G_Andersen/status/1325149383931822081

Burying mink is a good way to try to spread the virus to rats :( if that is their aim.

If that's all the facts then the decision your PM made is bizarre and inexplicable, as well as ruinous financially. Could there be additional info you aren't aware of?
Its not the decision to but them down which btw was iligal but I do agree its the right thing to do.
Its the haste, after 2 months without cluster 5 what difference would a few more Weeks do?

It appears the UK isn't the only country with an apparently incoherent government approach to dealing with Covid.

I may be wrong, but it reads like an article written by someone who has a wish to spread doubt about the Oxford-Astra Zeneca trial. It would be much more interesting to learn the view of the MHRA and FDA on these trials, and I find it curious that a company like AZ would be involved in what is presented as an accidental hotch-potch of methodologies.

I really hope you are wrong....

i’ve read similar in Politico & NYT, they are focussing on the 90% figure I think but really the 70% is very good but looks bad because of the prior 95% results of the other vaccines :(. Time will tell. There may also be a bit of “not invented here” (appropriately abbreviated to NIH :)) since in the US they were reporting the other vaccines as though they were American I thought.

You hope that the Oxford vaccine is a disaster, and that the author of the article is correct? I hope this author is wrong, and the vaccine trials are all useful and valid, despite some apparent mistakes.

You hope that the Oxford vaccine is a disaster, and that the author of the article is correct? I hope this author is wrong, and the vaccine trials are all useful and valid, despite some apparent mistakes.
Good point, I read Nigel’s post that he was hoping people aren’t playing politics/finances over the vaccine results, now I’m not sure :(.

If I was cynical ;) I might wonder if the US pharma industry are trying to protect their income from 'their' vaccines, as the Oxford/Astrazeneca vaccine is a fraction of the price of the US versions ?

:rolleyes:...My bad, I misread your post (whilst trying to keep a reasonable distance between myself and another passenger on the bus who seem intent on removing his mask to shout to his mate 3 or 4 rows in front of him every 2 minutes) I sincerly hope the Oxford-Az vaccine is a mighty success.

Back