Critique

whilst I would agree ...... I have just edited an image and said

"I'd have a go at cloning out the gull in the BIF shot and re-crop .. easily done with the cloning and crop tools in, (I use PS), but other apps will do the job"

do you mean I should explain how to use the several cloning tools in PS plus how to add canvas ............ it would take me quite some time and there are far better videos on Utube on how to use the PS tools ...... which explain "how to"

Of course some folk do not want their images to be edited and that's their perfectly reasonable choice but offering suggestions and/or if you do know of a useful video to explain the process then that would be great.
However there is a caveat, sometimes we can change the whole 'meaning' of the image with a suggested edit, for example Bill, in your edit of Gary's Gull & Heron image, did you see that Gary had spoken about the Heron being mobbed by Gulls?
Taking the Gull out removed the whole point of the image being posted, (IMO), albeit leaving a cleaner image.

whilst I would agree ...... I have just edited an image and said

"I'd have a go at cloning out the gull in the BIF shot and re-crop .. easily done with the cloning and crop tools in, (I use PS), but other apps will do the job"

do you mean I should explain how to use the several cloning tools in PS plus how to add canvas ............ it would take me quite some time and there are far better videos on Utube on how to use the PS tools ...... which explain "how to"
No I think a comment with an image would suffice where the comment isnt easily understood. Personally if I didnt understand "how to" then I would YouTube or Lynda, but having the "finished" article would help no end in understanding what might be achieved.
Might be nice to not limit yourself to BIF, if you have the time of course, unpaid teachers are hard to find :)

Of course some folk do not want their images to be edited and that's their perfectly reasonable choice but offering suggestions and/or if you do know of a useful video to explain the process then that would be great.
However there is a caveat, sometimes we can change the whole 'meaning' of the image with a suggested edit, for example Bill, in your edit of Gary's Gull & Heron image, did you see that Gary had spoken about the Heron being mobbed by Gulls?
Taking the Gull out removed the whole point of the image being posted, (IMO), albeit leaving a cleaner image.
As I said earlier, someone commenting and then editting the image might result in an image the author didnt want, on the other hand maybe it would show a "different" image that they would have liked but not considered but I think a revised image might be better received than a curt comment (even if it was well meant).

I did see Gary's comment - difficult to miss as it was mentioned twice in the opening lines

"Taking the gull out" produced a different image and that is what I suggested, to me the original image does not look like a "Heron being mobbed by Gulls" .. it may be true but the image, IMHO, does not show this, nor does the OOF gull help the image in any way ....... but hey that's just my opinion ....... and that's what I mean .. maybe the whole point of the thread

Last edited:
I nearly hit the like button ;)
Although I was one that voted against the like button when it was discussed in the staffroom, for the reasons already mentioned, I found myself hitting it a few times in this thread ;)

is there one recorded?
There is a top ten, or something, also if you click on a persons avatar it'll tell you how many "likes" they have received.

As for the original point, @BillN_33 there will always be a group of friends that will like each others images, its the social media mentality,
and to my disgrace, one "trap" that I said that I would never fall into. Whether I know that person or not, if I like it, I "like" it. If I like it a lot, I'll comment.
Conversely if I think I can help someone I'll either say or show them how, if the edit button is ticked of course, or ask permission if its not.

There are a few Prima Donna's on here that absolutely will not take criticism, even if its well founded, and helpful, finding reasons why the helper is talking out of their arse.

There are some well meaning posters, that try and help, that get slapped down,
there are some very good, very knowledgeable photographers on here also, that will do their damnedest to help, especially in their preferred genera.
Even they get slated at times, ( for their input) its only human nature that eventually even they will get fed up / give up trying to help, and just post images for their own enjoyment..

With circa 60,000 members and probably less 5% of those are active, I don't have the figures to back it up, but I bet no more than 20% of those 5% actually bother posting images, for what ever reason.

Or self deprecating humour ;) I think that comment went over your head :)
In French, when addressing others, it usually excludes the
speaker except when "we" is used. Here, I just wanted to
make sure that my non native sentence would include me
as beneficiary of the
exercise.

The every fact that you both had to spend the following six posts discussing what was meant rather makes my point for me!

I actually like the 'Like' button, not for the sake of wanting constant reassurance, but it's often good to know that a bit of banter has been taken the right way or that a bit of humour has gone down OK. As someone has already mentioned, things can be 'said' one way but 'read' totally differently and I think the like button can provide a bit of assurance in that respect. Likes for photos? Take them for what they're worth, at least it shows someone has looked at the photo and taken the time to express a brief opinion about it. :)

The every fact that you both had to spend the following six posts discussing what was meant rather makes my point for me!

I said I was wrong in one of the 12 subsequent posts. Sorry can't do more for you.

This is a reason I rarely comment now, totally ignored by the OP whilst they answer a more favourable comment

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/most-frustrating-shoot.663104/

Although I mentioned an example above, I do not think quoting specific threads is useful ............ there will always be such, mostly through oversight ...... when you post as much as Daniel does he will miss replying to the odd comment ............ but hey that's what thread is all about ......... how we feel about Critique given or not given

Last edited:
Bit harsh Ingrid, the other comment wasn't favourable and the answer explained the scenario and limitations ... there have been other far better examples of ignoring comments, even leaving the forum because of not getting the desired or any comments!

Not harsh at all, I asked a question and never got and answer, why not use a shrter lens or even wide angle
Although I mentioned an example above, I do not think quoting specific threads is useful ............ there will always be such, mostly through oversight ...... when you post as much as Daniel does he will miss replying to the odd comment ............ but hey that's what thread is all about ......... how we feel about Critique given or not given

2 replies and only bother to answer 1
Ok as ever I am in the wrong and will refrain from giving critique as it seems it isn't appreciated, but sorry to say I won't be leaving the forum and will
continue to react to those that appreciate it (y)

Not harsh at all, I asked a question and never got and answer, why not use a shrter lens or even wide angle

2 replies and only bother to answer 1
Ok as ever I am in the wrong and will refrain from giving critique as it seems it isn't appreciated, but sorry to say I won't be leaving the forum and will
continue to react to those that appreciate it (y)

As I said Daniel posts so many times he just probably missed that one by accident, as it is not his style not to reply, (in fact he is usually quite the reverse in answering every point given in detail when met with a comment like yours - he has posted almost 15,000 times in 2 years, so he may miss one or two)......... if you judge him on that, IMHO you are a very poor judge

but as I said ....... your comments, assumptions and strong feelings are part of what this thread is all about, in my ind anyway

The more I read, albeit from a few, the more I feel that the written word can fail significantly when it comes to giving Critique

Last edited:
Perhaps there should be some sort of structure to a Critique response:

eg.
  • Composition
  • Technical skill
  • Subject matter
  • Artistic/emotional response
  • Originality

I think that I have suggested something similar that once upon a time ........... very so often I feel that "things" are becoming a little stale and slow moving ...... so I try to throw in or out something different .........

Like everything else in photography, quantity in no way guarantees any form of quality.

I have watched Daniel's posts over the two years ....... as far as bird shots are concerned, the only ones I really look, I feel that there has been a significant improvement as far as I can judge....... and I am not saying that I am an expert but over the years I looked at many images on here.

OK he has his own style, "down at the Marsh" but those images seem to more to do with "light and shade" than my favoured "bird on a stick" images

but I don't really want to discuss individuals ........

but I must have a look at the bird images that you have posted;)

but we are getting off subject ..... which is usually the case on here, I'm the worst

Last edited:
You have nearly 11,000 posts to your name :p

Yes I do. At a posting rate of 1500 per annum. The majority of those are pre 2012 and are indeed utter garbage to a large extent. Since then, my posting rate has dropped through the floor, probably to somewhere nearer 600 pa.

Despite that, none of the above comes close to a posting average of 7.500 pa or 21 posts a day.

Yes I do. At a posting rate of 1500 per annum. The majority of those are pre 2012 and are indeed utter garbage to a large extent. Since then, my posting rate has dropped through the floor, probably to somewhere nearer 600 pa.

Despite that, none of the above comes close to a posting average of 7.500 pa or 21 posts a day.

If you look at my opening post you will see that I have just lost the appetite to post images or comments to the same degree that I did in the past

As I said Daniel posts so many times he just probably missed that one by accident, as it is not his style not to reply

In a thread with many answers I would agree, but only 2 replies and answer the second one, ignoring a question/suggestion in the first ?

If I like something, then I say I like it. Sometimes it may be hard to put my finger on just WHY I like something.

I find it easier to offer and give critique on a genre of photography I enjoy as I may actually know (or think I know) what I'm talking about.

I certainly don't offer pleasantries to try and raise my classifieds ratio. One I don't need to and two, I'm not a tool.

I don't normally like to offer critique on a completely crap shot. I try to find something positive to say but on some I'm not able to do that and it'll come across as either having a go at the contributor or looking big headed. Neither of which I'm likely to do.

Daniel is a very positive contributor to this forum, posting photos, giving and accepting critique and sharing in other avenues in a generally polite and respectful way despite the sometimes lack of grasp of the English language ... by far of more benefit than some who post nothing but jibes at others.
It is a shame that he is being picked out for such treatment as he does not deserve it.

In a thread with many answers I would agree, but only 2 replies and answer the second one, ignoring a question/suggestion in the first ?

as has been pointed out Daniel posts a lot, don't you think that he just missed this by accident, I do

Despite that, none of the above comes close to a posting average of 7.500 pa
I'm on just under 8000 per annum but over half my posts are either in the staffroom or are staff related posts. And there was me thinking I just talked a load of 8ollox :D

Last edited:

lovely day here, think I'll clean my motor Bike .. calms my nerves

R80_10th_1.jpg

you do realise I was just having a bit of fun?

Is that the 650, Bill?

BMW R80 - from 1984 - 800cc - I have had the Bike most of it's life

40,000 kms

monoshock model

all it sees these days is the morning run to the bread shop and back

Last edited:
BMW R80 - from 1984 - 800cc - I have had the Bike most of it's life

The same year I bought my GL1200…
I it gave to my older son on his birthday!

My grandma said often not to trust a man with a beard.
My mom said to always stay away from long haired bikers.

What have I done with myself? :rolleyes:

This is a reason I rarely comment now, totally ignored by the OP whilst they answer a more favourable comment

Sometimes, long gone, and perhaps even forgotten differences of opinion can cause people to use the ignore function on the forum... you can't reply to comments that you don't see.

I often think that the "Ignore button" should have a time-out of a couple of months, forcing you to opt back into re-selecting if you think they're still being cockwombles.

The same year I bought my GL1200…
I it gave to my older son on his birthday!

My grandma said often not to trust a man with a beard.
My mom said to always stay away from long haired bikers.

What have I done with myself? :rolleyes:

I've still got a few Bikes - I dare not give one to my son or even talk to him about motor bikes ....... my wife and his wife would kill me!!!!:(

I never got to clean the Bike, the head Gardener, my wife, waylaid me, sat me on the Lawn Mower turned the key and we now have a beautifully mowed back garden

Last edited:
Sometimes, long gone, and perhaps even forgotten differences of opinion can cause people to use the ignore function on the forum... you can't reply to comments that you don't see.

I often think that the "Ignore button" should have a time-out of a couple of months, forcing you to opt back into re-selecting if you think they're still being cockwombles.

I'm too damn nosey to put anyone on ignore :D
But I believe you could see ignored people if they were quoted ?
In which case perhaps the courtesy of an explanation ?

Back to critique, on a Critique Forum

whilst all shots benefit from critique, rather conversely to some, I would say that the very good shots and above are the shots that most benefit from critique ...... but, on here, what is usually given is a stream of platitudes saying how marvellous the shots are ..... any critique which is perceived as negative is almost always put down by the assembled throng, most of which, dare I say, have no idea what critique is. We know a few like having smoke blown up their fundamental orifice ...... so that's all they want

Why would a very good shot, or, a potentially prize winning shot, benefit from honest critique ......... if you don't know there is no point in me telling you ......... a string of the same "sugary" positive comments never made a shot any better

I do think sometimes the critique can be difficult to hear and not always wanted as has been pointed out it does say Sharing and Critique so to me that can be sharing with or without critique so maybe people should say if they wan or do not want it when posting?, I know the first camera club comp I sat in was shocking and seemed rude from the judge but the more I sat in I realised they were offering their own interpretation
, and what they would have done but it’s all personal with some delivering it in a more polite way than others.

I love this forum and had some amazing support from individuals on here mainly through PM with full tutorial explanations and I really appreciate that.

One reason I’ve not posted as many this year is the iPad and Flickr I find a nightmare to get the BB code from and once my images are uploaded to Flickr my laptop is shutdown and put away, I’d appreciate people’s experience in. Posting images from Flickr to here with iPad?

As for likes I am afraid that’s the way of the modern world now and if someone makes a comment I usually hit like to acknowledge that I took the time to read it and I guess a thank you, if they put a detailed response I reply (not always done this but in my mind that’s how I intend to do it)

Anyway I hav a new lens coming tomorrow and my wife is feeling better after her operation so hoping to get out and get some images up after the weekend.

Last edited:
Back