weekly Crotal Bell 52 for 2023 Wk 52 Favourite from 2023.

Another nice 6 speed knob!!

Nice composition with the central take and the 3 rotary knobs oof to the rear.

Only "don't like" is the red below the 4. I found my hands reflecting in mine so actually wore black gloves, simple desaturation of this area would also work.

Another nice 6 speed knob!!

Nice composition with the central take and the 3 rotary knobs oof to the rear.

Only "don't like" is the red below the 4. I found my hands reflecting in mine so actually wore black gloves, simple desaturation of this area would also work.
Thanks, I must confess I never noticed the red, it must have come from the smartphone.

This is a Short Cross Silver Farthing, often referred to as a "Cut Quarter".
Some of the full round silver pennies were cut into halves and quarters for smaller coins/values- Pennies, Halfpennies, Farthings.
This example is a "Short Cross", so it is from 1180-1247, so slightly under or slightly over 800 years old. It's not always easy to identify the King when there is so little of the old style letters to go on, this is probably Henry II or Henry III

As a metal detectorist, finding one of these brings on a mixture of fascination and immense joy. Not quite the same feeling when you find a 5p.

002 21 02 23.jpg

Great shot, made even better by the back-story! I never knew that.

Inclusion of the modern 5p works well for scale and you've caught the detail in that nicely.

Great shot, made even better by the back-story! I never knew that.

Inclusion of the modern 5p works well for scale and you've caught the detail in that nicely.
Thanks Graham, I thought the 5p worked well for Juxtaposition too, old letters, new letters, and the contrast of old coins being precious metal and worth so much compared to modern coinage. I took one of them side by side but for me it didn't work as well as the angled foreground/background shot.
Glad you liked it, I was pleased with the outcome.

Last edited:
Lovely shot and a very interesting back story.

Nice and colourful and perfect for the theme.

Like the coin shot and interesting background info.
Kitchen shot fits the theme and the angle gives it a bit more impact

Managing some comment catch-up!

Snappers Choice - Great view of the buzzard, with the bird well placed in the photo.

Knob(s) - Did you move the heating dials to vertical positions or was it just where they were? Helps to focus my attention on the gear stick.

Letters - Interesting back story, the coin looks in good condition, once they are in the ground do they normally remain in their original state?

Kitchen - Seeing the letters I was wondering if you had other to I before E except after C? Would also have worked in the previous theme.

Broken - The pointy section looks very precarious, has it remained in that state for a while? Not sure if I would have bumped the contrast up a bit on the remains.

Managing some comment catch-up!

Snappers Choice - Great view of the buzzard, with the bird well placed in the photo.

Knob(s) - Did you move the heating dials to vertical positions or was it just where they were? Helps to focus my attention on the gear stick.

Letters - Interesting back story, the coin looks in good condition, once they are in the ground do they normally remain in their original state?

Kitchen - Seeing the letters I was wondering if you had other to I before E except after C? Would also have worked in the previous theme.

Broken - The pointy section looks very precarious, has it remained in that state for a while? Not sure if I would have bumped the contrast up a bit on the remains.
Hi Stuart

Snappers choice - thanks I love that image.
Knob/s That's just the way they were buddy
Letters Silver and Gold lasts well in the earth, coppers and Bronzes suffer disease and degradation.
Kitchen I just lined them up and was more focussed on the colours
Broken Yes it's been like that for years and does look a bit precarious, nice idea on the contrast thanks.

Thanks Gav, the link never works, no Idea what I do wrong :headbang:

Here's what I do (Windows, but I don't think that is significant):
After Posting the reply in my thread, right click on the number top right of the newly posted reply (#61 for your latest image), click Copy Link Address
Write your reply in the main thread, and click on the Insert Link icon (chain symbol in the line of icons in the edit section). Right click in the URL box and click Paste, Enter some text in the Text box. Click Insert. Example link to your latest image is below.
Linky
Finish writing your entry and insert the image and click Post Reply
I then test that the link takes me back to my personal thread.

Here's what I do (Windows, but I don't think that is significant):
After Posting the reply in my thread, right click on the number top right of the newly posted reply (#61 for your latest image), click Copy Link Address
Write your reply in the main thread, and click on the Insert Link icon (chain symbol in the line of icons in the edit section). Right click in the URL box and click Paste, Enter some text in the Text box. Click Insert. Example link to your latest image is below.
Linky
Finish writing your entry and insert the image and click Post Reply
I then test that the link takes me back to my personal thread.
Thanks boots, I was right clicking the wrong corner tab. Just tried the number and all good now.

Good image for the theme and B/w suits.
I would crop some of the grass in the foreground, but I seem to cop nearly all of my images.

Interesting 'building', amazing how that corner has remained.

I think with nothing in the sky, having the grass in the foreground helps.

Interesting Building with lots of details.
I wanted to walk around inside but there was a scaffold team in there.
Not that there appeared to be any restrictions, and there was no signage to say you couldn't enter !

Nice one Keith. I've got one of those, but the sparrows empty it daily!

Nice one Keith. I've got one of those, but the sparrows empty it daily!
I've been amazed by the lack of Sparrows this year, they're in the area but strangely not coming into my garden.
Plenty of Goldfinches and Tits emptying the feeder though, and a very persistent Squirrel that keeps hanging onto it.

Like that. Nice blend of the two, the scruffy swirl of the tree bark with the neat spiral of the snail.

Works well.

Like that. Nice blend of the two, the scruffy swirl of the tree bark with the neat spiral of the snail.

Works well.
Thanks Graham, yes I must admit, as soon as I saw it, it struck me as a nice image (then a little voice screamed the week 52 Patterns)

Full.. sunflower hearts.. they leave everything else so I've given up with any alternatives. Looks good in mono.
Patterns... that's a lovely shot, nicely composed and exposed. Lots of natures own patterns there.

Back