D300 Owners Thread - Anything related to the D300!

done the upgrade but wont be getting the lens

realspeed

Last edited:
Done the upgrade... mentions that the live view zoom etc has changed.

So I tried... now might be something I've set up wrong but when I half press the mirror goes up and I don't see anything until I release. I recall its been that way since the beginning.

Should it do this? Or should there be autofocus on screen before the mirror flips up?

Hi I have asked this on the general forum as well.
Will adding an MBD10 increase the focus speed of a screw drive lens. I know it increases the frame rate but does the extra voltage improve the torque of the focus motor?:shrug:
Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi badboy yes you did, but just had a look in your camera bag. Do you have a screw drive lens?

Peter, the MB-D10 does absolutly nothing to affect the AF speed of a lens, if it were the case we would all be buying the £400 Tamrons and not the £1500 Nikons, it doent matter wether or not the lens has its own motor or is screw driven

Hi badboy yes you did, but just had a look in your camera bag. Do you have a screw drive lens?

If you looked at my camera bag you should noticed i have the nikon 50 f1.8 AFD and the Tamron 19-35 f3.4-5.6. Both lens require camera motor to drive the AF.

Hi all
I take a lot of rallying photo's and I am having problems when taking a burst of photo's that at least 3 out of 5 would be oof, at first I thought it was my lens not auto focusing quick enough (Sigma 70-200 f2.8) so I bit the bullet and bought a Nikon 70-200 f2.8 but still have the same problem. What I would like to ask is what settings would be best in the menu for focusing?

Hi all
I take a lot of rallying photo's and I am having problems when taking a burst of photo's that at least 3 out of 5 would be oof, at first I thought it was my lens not auto focusing quick enough (Sigma 70-200 f2.8) so I bit the bullet and bought a Nikon 70-200 f2.8 but still have the same problem. What I would like to ask is what settings would be best in the menu for focusing?

What focusing mode are you using? How many focus points? :shrug:

The focus set to release may lead to more out of focus pictures, but set to focus and release may slow down the number of frames per second. :shrug:

The number of focus points for me is determined by the size of the subject in the viewfinder, but experimenting is the key for the type of subject your trying to capture.

Back button focusing may help in keeping focus if you are not doing it already.

Theres a Kirk Enterprises PZ-122 Quick Release Plate Camera Plate for Nikon D300 / D300S on Fleabay 99p at present 20min left

Forgot this thread was still running, glad you posted Shaun.
Anyway, I just bought another D300, I sold my last one 2 1/2 years ago and thought that it would be floundering in light of all the continuous development of the newer models.
How wrong I was, this camera still produces superb images. I sold my first D300 originally to get into smaller cameras and now, after a foray into Panasonics and Leicas, I have a Fuji X-T1, X30 and X-Pro1.
The D300, I thought would perform poorly against them, but it stands up very well and in many cases, I still prefer the images from my D300!
Of course, now I have also had to buy some new lenses. First up was a Sigma 70-300 DG Macro. Not as good as my old Nikon VR version, but still very good. Then a Tamron SP90 Macro. Still a brilliant macro lens and works great on the D300. Lastly, another Nikon 18-200VR complete with rubber band to counteract lens creep. The first one I had of these was good, but I always thought it could be better. This new ( used) one I have now is absolutely superb and sharp as a tack, my other one was lacking in real sharpness at 200mm, not this one.
I won't be giving up my Fuji's and the X30 is coming with me to my Daughters wedding this weekend, but, when I want to start building up muscles again, I'll take the Nikon gear out.
Allan

Last edited:
Oh sweet jesus...where has this camera been all my life........just bought a very low mileage 2nd hand one to replace an ageing but much loved D90 & am gobsmacked at the difference ....it also laughs in the face of my D7000:banana: The difference is incredible.....I now cannot wait to see the difference in a D750...

Quick question if all you D300 owners are still around....the dial that you scroll through images with & that allows you to read the image info...can you change the directions on it ? Both the 90 & 7000 scroll images by going left and right & image info goes up & down....the 300 is the opposite way round , only small thing but keeps catching me out !

& I've found I can back button focus on this without a problem whereas I could not get the hang of it on the 7000...most strange but jeez....what a cracking sweet camera :love::love:

Oh sweet jesus...where has this camera been all my life........just bought a very low mileage 2nd hand one to replace an ageing but much loved D90 & am gobsmacked at the difference ....it also laughs in the face of my D7000:banana: The difference is incredible.....I now cannot wait to see the difference in a D750...

Quick question if all you D300 owners are still around....the dial that you scroll through images with & that allows you to read the image info...can you change the directions on it ? Both the 90 & 7000 scroll images by going left and right & image info goes up & down....the 300 is the opposite way round , only small thing but keeps catching me out !

& I've found I can back button focus on this without a problem whereas I could not get the hang of it on the 7000...most strange but jeez....what a cracking sweet camera :love::love:

You can change that. No longer have a d300 to check but try menu item f3.

Great cameras. A real high point for nikon. Enjoy.

Like you Lynne, I also bought low shutter count D300 (Thank you PeteMo) and love it. I bought it because of the good price and the solid feel of it. I'm not hankering for a modern multi-pixel model as this camera still produces cracking shots for my style of shooting.

ive been using the D300 for the last few years to shoot motosport and it never fails to impress me especially for what they cost to buy now, i have just upgraded to a D4 but still have one of my D300 as well. I can honestly say in good light i dout i could tell you what picture was taken with what camera.

In fact, here is 2 images taken at the same place in similar light but taken a year apart, one with the D300 one with the D4. without looking at the exif which one do you think was taken with the D300..

CW8_9364 by Harry Picturebike Lessman, on Flickr

HPB_1709 by Harry Picturebike Lessman, on Flickr

Hi Lynne
Glad you like the D300
I have 2 D300s that I use for Quad Moto X for the last 3 years.
You should fit a Battery grip MB10 and get some EN-EL4A 's battery to go in it this will up your frame rate do not get the EN-EL4 battery as they do not up the frame rate.
I go all of the meeting on just one Battery in each and that’s about 2000 + shoots, I all so have the normal battery in the camera but never seem to get to use it.
The back button focus is down to the position of the button on the D300s for me it’s just in the right place on the D90 I find I have to stretch to use the button.
I was at the Mega Meet; I have the Corrado that you liked.
Paul

are you sure the EN-EL4A batteries fit the the D300, they look very different to my EN-EL3e batteries ?

I've just picked up a used D300 and need to buy a couple of CF cards.

Will something like the Sandisk Ultra 8GB 50mb/s (SDCFHS-008G-G46) be sufficient for sports shooting?

Also, I'm struggling to come to terms with the autofocus settings for a sport like horse racing. Am I right in saying that 21 points (and even 9) will be fine? Horses are predictable in their movement so would using 51 points just confuse the camera?

The worrying thing is that I won't have chance to give the camera a test run before I go to a horse racing meeting on the 19th August. I'm half tempted just to use the single centre point so I at least get something in focus! I don't really want to experiment too much on the day.

Thanks.

I've just picked up a used D300 and need to buy a couple of CF cards.

Will something like the Sandisk Ultra 8GB 50mb/s (SDCFHS-008G-G46) be sufficient for sports shooting?

Also, I'm struggling to come to terms with the autofocus settings for a sport like horse racing. Am I right in saying that 21 points (and even 9) will be fine? Horses are predictable in their movement so would using 51 points just confuse the camera?

The worrying thing is that I won't have chance to give the camera a test run before I go to a horse racing meeting on the 19th August. I'm half tempted just to use the single centre point so I at least get something in focus! I don't really want to experiment too much on the day.

Thanks.

Single point and back button focusing using AF-C. Always found it by far the most reliable way to shoot moving subjects.

Single point and back button focusing using AF-C. Always found it by far the most reliable way to shoot moving subjects.

Yeah, I think I'm best keeping it simple and not rely too much on the camera to make the decisions. I've been out of the loop for over a year so it'll take a while for me to get back into the swing of things.

Any recommendations on compact flash card? I'll likely get 2 x 4 or 8GB. What's the best 'bang per buck' at the moment? Planning on spending around £30 in total.

Hi all.
Hust aquired a lovely condition lowish shot D300 to go with the modern D3300,
seems to be an amazing camera all in.gotta explore it a lot deeper though.

Chris if you add the Nikon battery pack MB-D10 and Battery EN_EL4a the frame rate goes up to around 7/8 FPS, also helps balance the camera better with a larger lens. Taking pictures vertically is easier as well due to the side shutter button on it. I have had mine since new.

Only thing replaced was the rubber Grip below the on/of button. Seems the sweat from the hand did on some affect the resin used. Easy to replace though. Inside the camera where the battery goes right at the back is a screw which has to be removed

Link to my posting about it

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/nikon-d300-front-grip-problem.473628/#post-5460990

I tend to use the D300 with a sigma 70-200mm f2.8 lens even though it does not have the anti shake on it (version 1) . Taking action shots I find it not necessary

fast enough to get shots like this so horses should be a doddle to take

Last edited:
are you sure the EN-EL4A batteries fit the the D300, they look very different to my EN-EL3e batteries ?

The EN-EL 4a battery is for the grip as alternative to the EN-EL3e . It plugs into Nikon BL-3 unit

Yeah, I think I'm best keeping it simple and not rely too much on the camera to make the decisions. I've been out of the loop for over a year so it'll take a while for me to get back into the swing of things.

Any recommendations on compact flash card? I'll likely get 2 x 4 or 8GB. What's the best 'bang per buck' at the moment? Planning on spending around £30 in total.

Typical error everyone makes, that is just looking at the GB of a card when really the main thing is the MB/s . A slow MB/s card can stall a camera in continuous shooting mode ( I found out to my expense). Should be looking at 45 MB/s as the minimum and faster if using video and a class4 card is also the minimum recommended for this purpose

Typical error everyone makes, that is just looking at the GB of a card when really the main thing is the MB/s . A slow MB/s card can stall a camera in continuous shooting mode ( I found out to my expense). Should be looking at 45 MB/s as the minimum and faster if using video and a class4 card is also the minimum recommended for this purpose

There was no error. I was simply saying what size card(s) I was looking at getting. I'm well aware that read and write times are what matter.

Am I correct in saying my D300 can only write at 35 MB/sec? Would a Lexar Professional 8GB 800x card be overkill?

I think Fozzybear said he picked up a D300, so no video, and no SD card, only CF. ;)

Had my D300S about 6 years, and have used the video twice, so I'm not an expert on video, but I think the recommendation is a Class 10 minimum for video with an SD card. That was for 1080, god knows how fast it would need to be for 4k. :eek:

Last edited:
Not sure about D300 write speed to be honest, it may depend on the buffer zone how many photos you can take before it stalls . All I can say is I always have the grip on mine for faster FPS and I have not had it stall when in continuous shoot mode, but I do use a fast card anyway at 60 mb/s on 16 or 32. gig cards. The D300s came out later after I had bought mine. I still think it is a great camera anyway and no way would I part with mine. With a quality lens the only thing to make a bad picture is the nose behind the camera.

Although my D800 has video capabilities I prefer to use my camcorder , maybe because I am more used to it and it has a fantastic Zoom

Last edited:
I've recently got into the Back-button focusing operation and my D300 is SO MUCH better and easier than my D7000! I think there is a lot of mileage in the D300's despite being an ageing camera.

Maybe a silly question, but I'm just wondering if firmware A/B 1.11 already includes 1.10 or not?

My D300 still seems to be on 1.03. Is it worth updating or not?

^
Cheers for the info realspeed.

I would put the latest firmware onto the camera. Always the first thing I check when I have purchase a used camera. I think the latest version should included all previous updates.

Hi Kev.Mine was on 1.10 so i upped it to the 1.11.as Ian says the 1.11 would include all the other updates. don't forget to do the 2 separately,1.11a and 1.11b

This service provides software for upgrading D300 A to ver 1.11 and B firmware to ver.1.11 from ((any }}previous
version. If this latest firmware version is already installed in your camera, you need not proceed with download or installation of this Firmware Upgrade. Current firmware versions can be verified from the Firmware version item in the camera's setup menu.

Last edited:
Have to say the amount of options is staggering,no wonder this camera has had so much positive feedback.

Back