D500

Will be going on holidays soon ( ish ) and don't want to take all my kit ( oh, x100t where are you :( ) - is there a reasonable sized rucksack / sling for the d500 / 16-80 / 35 / 50 / 10.5 + batteries and filters ? I have a lowepro 202 and it's too bit for all of this - not massively just wondering if there's anything 2/3 sized ?

Maybe he will as a treat when he's taken 1000 images with his D500 (although that could be 1000 more than you've managed with the A9 :D:D:D:D:D
:D lol
<< runs to check how many snaps the Sony A9 has actually taken..... over 6000-6500 snaps phew lol

Last edited:
Sounds like me lol am taking my time ;)

Not really! I have not sold or moved to a different camera! In actual fact have stuck by my D750 for looooooooooong time!

D500 costing me nothing so gives me a chance to try it without spending!

:D lol
<< runs to check how many snaps the Sony A9 has actually taken..... over 6000-6500 snaps phew lol

snaps yes, but how many keepers.......

Seriously though @rookies unless something really p*ss*s you off about the D500, at less than 1K images, you are still learning the system, you have a brilliant camera, and some stunning glass (especially the 18-35 F1.8), go and use it a lot more before thinking of changing. (This is all IMO but look in the mirror, do you sense a GAS attack??? Photography is really all about practice, practice and practice, changing systems is a hindrance in improving your photography - unless as I said something really p*ss*s you off, and you just don't want to use the camera)

snaps yes, but how many keepers.......

Seriously though @rookies unless something really p*ss*s you off about the D500, at less than 1K images, you are still learning the system, you have a brilliant camera, and some stunning glass (especially the 18-35 F1.8), go and use it a lot more before thinking of changing. (This is all IMO but look in the mirror, do you sense a GAS attack??? Photography is really all about practice, practice and practice, changing systems is a hindrance in improving your photography - unless as I said something really p*ss*s you off, and you just don't want to use the camera)

This is excellent advice and I agree 100%.
I am only winding you up @rookies
Personally I think the AF ability of the D500 will be better than the A7 III.

The only one thing that p*** me off and i only just found out with the sigma 18-35 lens it no good with the outer focus points of the camera best using centre Only found that out the other day when i was using it and looked it up..

Who says ive only taken 1k images

I know i have taken under 1k images... And I know now how you found out lol i didn't realise it shows the file name ha ha

I don’t get the obsession with “soft outer points” - generally our subjects are fairly central so unless the target is edge to edge then..

Well I am pleased to say I have just ordered one for myself from Panamoz to replace my D7200 as a B day pressie to myself.
I am looking forward to it arriving only ordered it yesterday evening but the TNT tracking is saying it will land Thursday :D
My Lenses I own are the Sigma 17-50 2.8 os. and the Sigma 150-600C.
Does anyone use these lenses on the D500 if so how do they perform on it please.
I am also looking at getting the Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS (2nd hand due to budget) for it any opinions on this welcome too please :)

I don't have the sigma but I trialled the tamron 150-600 g2 with my d500 and it was awesome. I think the sigma and the Tammy are pretty similar in terms of IQ

Well I am pleased to say I have just ordered one for myself from Panamoz to replace my D7200 as a B day pressie to myself.
I am looking forward to it arriving only ordered it yesterday evening but the TNT tracking is saying it will land Thursday :D
My Lenses I own are the Sigma 17-50 2.8 os. and the Sigma 150-600C.
Does anyone use these lenses on the D500 if so how do they perform on it please.
I am also looking at getting the Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS (2nd hand due to budget) for it any opinions on this welcome too please :)

I have the Siggy. Just love it. I’m not one for micro adjustment. It works as is plenty good enough for me .

Firmware update posted today at Nikon V1.14 and looks to be nothing significant but as always they might have slipped something else in without comment

Fixed an issue that prevented images being copied using the Copy image(s) item in the PLAYBACK MENU if an exhausted battery or no battery was inserted in the camera, even when a battery with sufficient charge was inserted in the MB-D17 battery pack.

well very upset today :(
delivery due by 6pm TNT rings up 4.50pm due to technical reasons they cant deliver today and will now be tomorrow :mad:
i cant see how it can be that technical delivering a parcel and the Mrs stayed in today waiting for it for me :(

well very upset today :(
delivery due by 6pm TNT rings up 4.50pm due to technical reasons they cant deliver today and will now be tomorrow :mad:
i cant see how it can be that technical delivering a parcel and the Mrs stayed in today waiting for it for me :(

Bummer. But the excitement will be even greater..

Mine was due today, but actually received it yesterday, but won't have a change to have a good look until the weekend.
Excellent transaction with Panamoz.

Any thoughts on either a 17-55 or 16-80mm or other come to it for this body?
I've sold off a lot of gear and kept my d500 and 200-500mm as that's what i use but for walkabout / general family stuff?
I do have the 35mm dx and can't seem to see past the nikon lenses above...

Any thoughts on either a 17-55 or 16-80mm or other come to it for this body?
I've sold off a lot of gear and kept my d500 and 200-500mm as that's what i use but for walkabout / general family stuff?
I do have the 35mm dx and can't seem to see past the nikon lenses above...

If you want to stay within the DX offerings, I understand the 16-80 is quite good.

Back