D500

@gramps @BillN_33

What do you guys think, you are both Nikon using birders?

Nikon 300mm f4 PF VR, - I have had the lens for a few months and posted quite a few images on here in the Bird and general section - used mainly with a D750 ........ but now also with a D7200

It is quite a unique lens - size, weight, VR and can be used with the TC14Ell with little loss of IQ

I have found it to be very good and versatile with the D750 .................(yet to form an opinion with the D7200)

I would say that the IQ is up there with the older 300mm f4 AFS which is one of Nikons best ....... but the PF is of course lighter, smaller and has VR

I would recommend it ......... you get 300mm f4 VR or 420mm f4 VR with an FX and more reach with a DX ........

The 300mm f4 PF VR is a lens I was waiting for Nikon to produce

Reactions: ST4
Just when you think you're conquered your GAS problems, Nikon go and announce this wonderful camera :rolleyes::D

This camera has been desperately needed from Nikon for some years now! The D7000 range with max 6fps was not acceptable when Canon have had 8fps since 5yrs ago at least and 10fps for the last year. The D500 looks like a good camera we will just have to wait untill they sort all the light leaks out, greenish screens and what not's.LOL

The high IO good results willbe helped by the fact that its not a traditional Nikon 1.5x crop sensor but a 1.3x crop sensor which may or may not dissapoint birders/wildlife/sports togs but at least their existing wide lenses will be even wider so to speak

Last edited:
The high IO good results willbe helped by the fact that its not a traditional Nikon 1.5x crop sensor but a 1.3x crop sensor which may or may not dissapoint birders/wildlife/sports togs but at least their existing wide lenses will be even wider so to speak

IMHO for "birders" it will live or die by the ability to produce low noise images at high ISO, in just ordinary light conditions .. I'm not convinced that any "DX" sensor can do that, none of the Nikon DX's have been able to do that so far

Its still a 1.5x crop sensor, just with an additional 1.3x crop mode

1.3x sensor not 1.5x that's me out of buying one then! So what will the MP be in relation to a 1.5 x crop?

Gary

It is not really low light that I would comment about - it is a tight crop in just ordinary dismal daylight ...... IMHO, all the D7xxx, (I have had all three plus the D300), have failed so far versus the FX bodies

It is not really low light that I would comment about - it is a tight crop in just ordinary dismal daylight ...... IMHO, all the D7xxx have failed so far versus the FX bodies

Surely thats no surprise,they have not failed they are a different tool,its like complaining your 300mm lens never has the reach of your 400.

Would have been interested in this 3 years ago maybe. My D800E will have to do for another few year at least. Isn't a cropped sensor just the same as cropping an image in PP? For birders.

Surely thats no surprise,they have not failed they are a different tool,its like complaining your 300mm lens never has the reach of your 400.

I see a major difference in noise from a cropped D750 image, versus a cropped D7100/D7200 ...... when both are cropped to comparative ratios ........ technically the DX sensor D7200 should have more pixel per whatever, (inch)

I see a major difference in noise from a cropped D750 image, versus a cropped D7100/D7200 ...... when both are cropped to comparative ratios ........ technically the DX sensor D7200 should have more pixel per whatever, (inch)

Its my understanding smaller tighter pixels will give more noise,its a trade off against better detail.

did I say that Gary?

Post #94

don't think that I did??

Last edited:
Have a look at post #94 above .. you quoted me

"However, in low light/any light the new AF system will blow the D7200 out of the water"
LOL, no idea what happened there, it was me who said it but for some reason its saying im quoting you when you never even said it

I see the battery grip takes different batteries to the camera. Interesting.

The grip will take the same battery too.

From the Nikon USA site:
Battery: EN-EL15 Lithium-ion Battery

Optional MB-D17 multi-power battery pack with one rechargeable Nikon EN-EL18a or EN-EL18 Li-ion battery (available separately), one rechargeable Nikon EN-EL15 Li-ion battery, or eight AA alkaline, Ni-MH, or lithium batteries. A BL-5 battery-chamber cover is required when using EN-EL18a or EN-EL18 batteries.

Amazing spec. If you're updating from a D300s, it'll blow your mind! Not wild keen on XQD cards due to the price, but they're otherwise an improvement on CF and SD. Everything else is great.

I'd love to see that AF and buffer make it into the next D750.

so where is the D500 going to stand versus the d750 and D810 .... which have great low noise high quality IQ sensors

and

as a bird shooter I use spot focus most of the time ........ never need all these multi-focus points

so where is the D500 going to stand versus the d750 and D810 .... which have great low noise high quality IQ sensors

and

as a bird shooter I use spot focus most of the time ........ never need all these multi-focus points
Well, it should be the top DX. It's not FX.
:confused:

Gary

It is not really low light that I would comment about - it is a tight crop in just ordinary dismal daylight ...... IMHO, all the D7xxx, (I have had all three plus the D300), have failed so far versus the FX bodies

I've never used an FX body but my d7000 and d7200 are both noisier than I'd like so thanks for your comment, that's convinced me that a d810 is the way to go along with my d7200 when I need extra reach :)

I've never used an FX body but my d7000 and d7200 are both noisier than I'd like so thanks for your comment, that's convinced me that a d810 is the way to go along with my d7200 when I need extra reach :)

That's what I plan, D810 - unless the D4S grey price falls even further ......... the D7200 is good for normal stuff but it is when you crop, even just to 50% that you really notice the noise even at quite low ISO levels

That's what I plan, D810 - unless the D4S grey price falls even further ......... the D7200 is good for normal stuff but it is when you crop, even just to 50% that you really notice the noise even at quite low ISO levels

Completely agree! Since I work full time I have to take whatever weather comes at the weekends when I can get out and often it's less than ideal. Those little birds don't let you get close so as you know, you're always having to crop quite a bit and I know what you mean. I expected more from the d7200, just depends if I can afford a d810 AND sigma 150-600 S!

@gramps @BillN_33

What do you guys think, you are both Nikon using birders?

I've only had a brief look at the specs but assuming the ISO lives up to expectations with regard to noise, the buffer, frame rate and AF improvements seem to be just what has been wanted However at £1729 (Clifton Cameras pre-order) it's a far cry from the existing best DX body, the D7200, at around £750 ... that's a pretty impressive price increase to live up to.
Time will tell, not only if it lives up to the hype but also whether or not Nikon have got a new release right first time, this time!

Just noticed dual slots but XQD and SD, I didn't like the different cards in the D4/D4S and I don't like the idea in this new model, much more sensible in the D5 with the option for XQD or CF dual slots (as I understand it) ... 32GB XQD card is around £100 a piece and who uses only 1?

Back