D500

Just noticed dual slots but XQD and SD, I didn't like the different cards in the D4/D4S and I don't like the idea in this new model, much more sensible in the D5 with the option for XQD or CF dual slots (as I understand it) ... 32GB XQD card is around £100 a piece and who uses only 1?
I can understand XQD for the D5, but not the D500 so much. If you're going to shell out £6k for a body then £100 for a card is nothing, but for us 'normal' folk £100 is extortionate for a card :eek: I'd be sticking SD cards in a not having the speed.

But how many people actually buy DSLR's to use as Video recorder................. not very many i'd wager

It's more an added extra/bonus than anything else in the DSLR world

I don't think I've ever used the video function.

Maybe not for you or I (or most Nikon users as they never really did it right) but there's a significant number of film makers who buy DSLRs just to shoot video, they mostly buy Canon though, who understand their priorities.

It's a completely seperate market to the stills market. But a 5dIII or a 70d is a very capable video camera at a bargain price when compared to the professional 'video cameras' that they compete with.

Reactions: BBR
I did not ask what sensor size the D500 has

So why compare with a different format?

Why not compare with 4/3?

What are you actually asking?
Genuinely confused...

and not having the overflow/backup :)
Oh is it one XQD and one SD, and not like the D5 where you choose dual slots of one or the other type of card (albeit CF rather than SD)

I'm confused by all this talk of a 1.3x crop sensor rather the traditional 1.5x DX crop sensor.
It is conventional DX 1.5 crop but also has a 1.3 in-camera crop like other bodies.

Oh is it one XQD and one SD, and not like the D5 where you choose dual slots of one or the other type of card (albeit CF rather than SD)
Correct ... D5 is optional XQD or CF for both slots, the D500 has different slots so needs different cards for each slot.

It is conventional DX 1.5 crop but also has a 1.3 in-camera crop like other bodies.

Correct ... D5 is optional XQD or CF for both slots, the D500 has different slots so needs different cards for each slot.
Hmm, odd that iMO.

Yep, just like the D7100/7200, it's a 1.5x crop sensor (like all Nikon DX sensors) with an in camera 1.3x mode, making a total of near enough 2x crop, nothing new there

https://photographylife.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-nikon-d500

I think this, from above link, will be a godsend;

It turns out that both Nikon D500 and D5 have a brand new “Auto AF Fine Tune” feature, which after achieving focus in live view, automatically adjusts AF Fine Tune settings for the attached lens. And you can apparently do this with only a few button operations! This looks extremely promising, because fine tuning lenses has historically been a painful experience, requiring specific tools and lots of wasted time. I can only imagine how cool it would be to instantly calibrate lenses on the fly when I work with a subject, for that particular focusing distance!

I would imagine that the built-in wireless can be used instead of a second memory card.

I think this, from above link, will be a godsend;

It turns out that both Nikon D500 and D5 have a brand new “Auto AF Fine Tune” feature, which after achieving focus in live view, automatically adjusts AF Fine Tune settings for the attached lens. And you can apparently do this with only a few button operations! This looks extremely promising, because fine tuning lenses has historically been a painful experience, requiring specific tools and lots of wasted time. I can only imagine how cool it would be to instantly calibrate lenses on the fly when I work with a subject, for that particular focusing distance!

That's an interesting concept because I have found using the FoCal method that it can vary depending on the distance ............ so if it does this "on the fly" while you are hitting the shutter button that will be quite remarkable ........ say you are using a 300mm lens, hand held for a BIF and then you move quickly to a bird on the lake which is near to you

Last edited:
That's an interesting concept because I have found using the FoCal method that it can vary depending on the distance ............ so if it does this "on the fly" while you are hitting the shutter button that will be quite remarkable ........ say you are using a 300mm lens, hand held for a BIF and then you move quickly to a bird on the lake which is near to you

You reckon it'll be that easy Bill?
I can't see it personally, I think it'll be a 'process' that takes a bit of time :)

You reckon it'll be that easy Bill?
I can't see it personally, I think it'll be a 'process' that takes a bit of time :)

I agree - I was just being a little mischievous for what appears to be another "wonder" body ...............

I cannot understand why they have produced a £2k DX body ... is it to compete with Canon?

Last edited:
You know... like when it's dark.
Well yeah, but your fingers automatically go for the buttons without having to look so I'm not sure when I need it and not sure if having things light up would bug me, like the D750 screen does when it automatically switches on when you change ISO.

Well yeah, but your fingers automatically go for the buttons without having to look so I'm not sure when I need it and not sure if having things light up would bug me, like the D750 screen does when it automatically switches on when you change ISO.
The light up buttons are great in bad light or night photography.

The light up buttons are great in bad light or night photography.
Maybe, I'd have to try it for myself I guess. Can't say I've ever struggled with my D750 and wished buttons lit up though ;) I'm guessing they're only subtly lit which would be OK I guess ;)

Maybe, I'd have to try it for myself I guess. Can't say I've ever struggled with my D750 and wished buttons lit up though ;) I'm guessing they're only subtly lit which would be OK I guess ;)
You will probably have an option to turn them off, like the 'beep'.

why do you need all these extra more and more sophisticated multiple focus points?

for birds I tend to use just single most of the time, lock in with the BB and re-frame

BIF sometimes small group . say 5

general photography the same - focus on what I want press BB and reframe - shoot in manual mode and use fvalue to control DOF and shutter speed as required

It doesn't do it on the fly by my understanding. You have to focus using liveview and then the correction is stored, at least that's how I understand it ;)

why do you need all these extra more and more sophisticated multiple focus points?

for birds I tend to use just single most of the time, lock in with the BB and re-frame

general photography the same - focus on what I want press BB and reframe - shoot in manual mode and use fvalue to control DOF and shutter speed as required

Beats me.
I find that about 10ish is enough for me.
Maybe it's a modern MP race thing?

Yep I use single point AF 99.9% of the time but it's AF spread that's important to me rather than the number. For example if I'm taking shots of runners I like to have the AF point on the face obviously, but when shooting portrait even if I select the outer points they're not high enough in the frame so either the people are smaller in the frame than I'd like, or you chop their legs off to get a closer shot ;) Obviously though the wider you go the more points you need to fill in the gaps for those folk who use tracking. 123 is overkill though ;)

Last edited:
I wonder if it will prove to be like my experience with 3D ... the AF being totally unaware of what it is I am trying to track?

Reactions: BBR
I wonder if it will prove to be like my experience with 3D ... the AF being totally unaware of what it is I am trying to track?
What camera do you use? 3D tracking works pretty well on my D750, although it's not perfect as when you track runners it tends to jump to their torso rather than tracking the face, which I initially select.

What camera do you use? 3D tracking works pretty well on my D750, although it's not perfect as when you track runners it tends to jump to their torso rather than tracking the face, which I initially select.

Every camera I've had has been the same, though I've only used it for BIF ... it never tracks the bird but always bounces around the screen finding other things to latch onto :thinking:

Well I can't wait :) I bet there's a lot of us sucked into the hype and get one ;) - well I'll wait a short while to hear the reviews from people here I trust rather than some of the reviews on the net that claim they "buy" their own gear and have no special loyalties so please donate ;)

Every camera I've had has been the same, though I've only used it for BIF ... it never tracks the bird but always bounces around the screen finding other things to latch onto :thinking:
I guess it depends how big they are in the frame. According to the Nikon bumf when you use 3D tracking it registers colours so if the background is a similar colour or the subject is small in the frame you may not get the desired results. Well they word it something like that anyway ;)

Well I can't wait :) I bet there's a lot of us sucked into the hype and get one ;) - well I'll wait a short while to hear the reviews from people here I trust rather than some of the reviews on the net that claim they "buy" their own gear and have no special loyalties so please donate ;)
After rushing out and buying the D750 at launch I'd advise anyone to wait at least 6 months after launch before buying a Nikon camera ;)

I cannot understand why they have produced a £2k DX body ... is it to compete with Canon?
But it is not a £2k body, it's a £1729 body. Atm The same as the D300 and the D300S were. The 7DII was £1600 when it was released. That it can currently be had for £1100 makes the D500 look expensive, as does the D7200 for £888. (originally £940) That is Nikon's fault for taking so long to bring out the camera. :rolleyes:

This is the camera I have been waiting for as a long long time D300S user. I had almost given up on Nikon, and was about to swap to Canon for the 7DII, so this announcement was very timely. ;) :)

It has gone way beyond my wildest dreams as to what I would have found acceptable for a 'D400'. Maybe waiting so long was worth it. :LOL:

Likes;
The AF looks amazing. 153 focus points :eek: Hopefully lives up to expectations.
10fps with a very large buffer :)
Similar body to the D300S :D
Lighter than the D300S
20mp blows my 12mp away
ISO range. 100 - 51200 compared to the 200 - 3200 of the D300S :jawdrop:
The new eyepiece
The buttons light up ;)

Not quite sure;
XQD cards. Would have preferred CF, but hopefully the price of XQD cards come down a bit.
The price. Whilst £1700 is what I expected, but the $2000 US conversion price is £1368.

Back