D500

yeah no mention of it being available for normal still images, just video - which means its probably useless for the majority of users.

I like the look of that...would have been enough to stop me going FX...too late now I've already got a D750!!!!!

Round view finder as well this one will be added to the collection

Quite possibly, but not everyone wants FX, i know i don't (been there, tried it, went back to DX), but as the native ISO is now up to 51200 (over the 25600 of the D7200) i suspect it will be the best DX sensor in terms of high ISO capablility

Well the d7200 might have native ISO of 25600, I wouldn't even go higher than about 800 most of the time due to the noise! So to be honest that doesn't really tell me anything. I was just thinking of getting a d810 for duller days and using the 7200 which I already have for the extra reach on nice days. I just wondered whether a d810 would be the way to go noise wise, as I can possibly justify to myself having a DX and FX body as each have their own merits, but I couldn't justify having a d7200 AND d500 and won't be able to sell the 7200 at a reasonable price so I was hoping the d500 won't cause me a dilemma :p

It's an interesting camera. Canon definitely made Nikon release this to compete with the 7D2. I can see it being a good upgrade from a d300/300s for someone that wants to stay with a crop body. If the price is £1729 then it's out there to compete with the 7d2.

I do thing nikons marketing is absolutely rubbish, their product line is all over the place now with d3xxx, d5xxx, d7xxx, d500, d600/610, d750, d800/810 all confusing the numbering sequence.

Well the d7200 might have native ISO of 25600, I wouldn't even go higher than about 800 most of the time due to the noise! So to be honest that doesn't really tell me anything. I was just thinking of getting a d810 for duller days and using the 7200 which I already have for the extra reach on nice days. I just wondered whether a d810 would be the way to go noise wise, as I can possibly justify to myself having a DX and FX body as each have their own merits, but I couldn't justify having a d7200 AND d500 and won't be able to sell the 7200 at a reasonable price so I was hoping the d500 won't cause me a dilemma :p
If the d7200 fits nicely in with your style and method of shooting there is no reason to upgrade. I only picked up a used d7200 last month, it worked out to be less than £400 so the price difference for me between the d7200 and d500 would be a 70-200 f2.8 lens! Perhaps wait a while and pick one up once prices start to drop in a years time.

For me the AF points at f6.3 are of interest with my Tamron 150-600, 37 focus points and 25 cross sensor,that is if it will work with the Tamron,we all know Nikons ability to try to hold us to ransom.

If you're interested in video, this has a maximum recording time of just 3 minutes for 4k video, from what i just read.

Really, i can quite happily shoot up to 2200 on my D7100, i would have thought the D7200 would have been better still

We'll just have to wait and see when it's released and see how it compares, but i'd be very surprised it it wasn't a substantial jump up from the D7100/7200

Sounds interesting. If I shot a lot of airshows or safaris, I'd be all over like your mum! I think some people may struggle to get over the price of a cropped body. Not everybody wants to go FX and there's nothing wrong with having a semi-pro DX body.

I wish Nikon could scrap the model number mess though and start again!

This is the best news, I had a 100, 200, 300 and 's, made me buy a 700, but I enjoy the lighter dx format.

This is the camera I wanted in 2014 to replace my D300s. Damn Nikon you clever, as I got a FX camera instead :)

For what you shoot fx or even medium format is more useful.

Wildlife/airshow/bird guys will love this but for landscapes a high pixel count on a large sensor is better

Ironic that the D750 and D810 deals ended today, glad I held off - I won't be an early adopter but the D500 will be ideal for Madagascar in October

For what you shoot fx or even medium format is more useful.

Wildlife/airshow/bird guys will love this but for landscapes a high pixel count on a large sensor is better
Oh yes, but two years ago everything I had was DX only so had to replace the whole lot and was very expensive. If this camera was out then I may have just stuck with DX.

Wasn't expecting this ... reminiscent of the D3/D300 launch and that was a game changer for Nikon, wonder if this will have a similar impact ...

If the price is £1729 then it's out there to compete with the 7d2.

I do thing nikons marketing is absolutely rubbish, their product line is all over the place now with d3xxx, d5xxx, d7xxx, d500, d600/610, d750, d800/810 all confusing the numbering sequence.

Or about £1k from Panamoz in a few months time!

Agree with you on the product line thing.

Looks good spec and seems long overdue. The spec seems its a big leap over the D300s, better than the small improvements in the D7xxx series. Looks like they may have taken a leaf out of Canon updates of the 7D range.

Hopefully this will drop the used prices of the D300s and the D7xxx range as I want to get back to a Nikon DX body but this new one will be well out of my price range.

drop used prices of D300s? they are already like £250-£300 but hey i`ll take em cheaper, ideal camera for abusing at football games

I have felt the need for a built in flash, never had them on the SLRs so not really an issue in my opinion.

If you're interested in video, this has a maximum recording time of just 3 minutes for 4k video, from what i just read.

That is the D5. The D500 has 30 minutes.

This would have been good for video but the 4K recording is heavily cropped as discussed here.

This would have been good for video but the 4K recording is heavily cropped as discussed here.

But how many people actually buy DSLR's to use as Video recorder................. not very many i'd wager

It's more an added extra/bonus than anything else in the DSLR world

Yeah sorry got mixed up there, the D5 is the 6.5 grand one.

I do but recognise these cameras are not targeted at video folk...... get a mirrorless.

Last edited:
@rpsmith79 hybrid shooters are on the rise but yes many will buy for the photo features. I had invested in DSLR for video due to the great footage it can produce.

@twist mirrorless may be be the way forward for my video needs. Nikon for stills.

Back