D500

I switched a 150-600 Sports for the Nikon 200-500. Weight was the issue for me. I'm happy with the change and for me the lighter weight was more important than the extra 100mm.

Do you not miss the weather sealing? I have the contemporary and often wish it was a little bit protected from wet grass/ surprise showers etc.

Not yet....but early days! Got a lens cover I've used in the past I'd bring back out, but I'm a bit of a fair weather photographer [emoji3] If I was regularly out in bad weather it would certainly have been a consideration in favour of the Sigma

Last edited:
Reactions: WWA
Hi all, I'm considering an upgrade from my d7000 and going back and forth between d7200 and d500, even thought about FX (d750) but I think I'm used to DX and I don't see a real need to switch formats

I don't think I have one particular style of shots that I take more than another, but I don't do a lot in the way of landscapes.

I only have the one body and an upgrade would really be my one camera I think. I hear most of you and all the reviews stating the d500 is great for action and wildlife, but also that a lot of you have multiple camera bodies for different types of shooting.

So I was wondering what you guys thought about having the d500 as your only camera and its appeal as an "all rounder"? For those of you who also have (had) a d7xxx has the d500 truly replaced it or would you consider a d7xxx still better over the d500 in given circumstances? Initially i'm not considering the financial decision, I'm just wondering about the merits of the d7200 for instance over the d500....I've read that IQ in some circumstances being better on the d7200 but I expect that both cameras are going to be noticeably higher IQ than my d7000.

On lens front I currently have the kit lens 18-105 that came with the camera, Nikon 35mm f1.8, Tamron 70-300mm VC, and Sigma 105mm Macro

So any thoughts and opinions on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm considering an upgrade from my d7000 and going back and forth between d7200 and d500, even thought about FX (d750) but I think I'm used to DX and I don't see a real need to switch formats

I don't think I have one particular style of shots that I take more than another, but I don't do a lot in the way of landscapes.

I only have the one body and an upgrade would really be my one camera I think. I hear most of you and all the reviews stating the d500 is great for action and wildlife, but also that a lot of you have multiple camera bodies for different types of shooting.

So I was wondering what you guys thought about having the d500 as your only camera and its appeal as an "all rounder"? For those of you who also have (had) a d7xxx has the d500 truly replaced it or would you consider a d7xxx still better over the d500 in given circumstances? Initially i'm not considering the financial decision, I'm just wondering about the merits of the d7200 for instance over the d500....I've read that IQ in some circumstances being better on the d7200 but I expect that both cameras are going to be noticeably higher IQ than my d7000.

On lens front I currently have the kit lens 18-105 that came with the camera, Nikon 35mm f1.8, Tamron 70-300mm VC, and Sigma 105mm Macro

So any thoughts and opinions on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

Honestly, if you don't need super-fast AF and shooting for sport or wildlife then save yourself a significant sum of money and get the D7200. :)

I have the D500 as my only camera. I take a variety of subjects, which includes sports and wildlife, and imho the D500 is the best camera. The AF is stunning, and the 10fps comes in very handy. ;)

The D7200 has slightly better image quality, but if you never take pics of anything fast moving, or need to focus in low light, then the D500 may not be the right camera, especially when you factor in how much can be saved with the D7200. I don't want to be limited when any situation presents itself, and I'll take slightly below ultimate image quality for the AF, fps and ergonomics. I'm coming from the D300S, so the image quality and high ISO performance are a huge improvement. :)

id go with the D500 you'll always kick your self if you don't... But sensible answer, there were a lot of posts on the D500 and 7200 and you can see from i think Thom Hogans the 500 is slightly crisper and sharper, that did it for me. As for FX vs DX there are advantages like kinda better low Light and you capture more real estate in your view, but if you take a look at how many users use APS-C and M 4/3 and crop cameras i wouldn't worry, i use an A7Rii for landscapes which is pin sharp but you know what, I'm liking this D500 that much i may sell the Sony, it just takes excellent RAW pictures focus is blinding and it also does everything Sports Landscapes etc, so as you say an All rounder. i run 3 Lens and have access to 2 others
Mine are
18-140 DX ( my do it all lens )
11-16 Tokina DX II ( my landscape lens )
150-600 Sigma C ( my sports lens ) Fine tunes with Riekan Focal pro and the dock

Access to IE my Fathers

24/70 F2.8 FX
70/200 F2.8 FX

I'll step in here and await to be shot down, but having used a D7200 for about a year and a D500 for 2 months now, I actually think that the D500 files are better (certainly at the higher ISO's) and more pleasing with less PP required than the D7200. I've yet to see the 3mp advantage in resolution that the D7200 has nor the slight DR advantage it has on paper. For me personally, the D500 is the best DSLR (for multi purposes) I've ever owned. I tend to spend far too much on gear and change bodies like most change underpants, and aside from my D3s I had a few years ago (which was another wow camera), the D500 just give me a similar wow factor. From the handling, the pro layout, the gorgeous rear screen, the incredible AF and FPS etc, it for me is a much better camera overall. Don't get me wrong, if the D500 hadn't have come along I would have been perfectly happy with my D7200, it really is a very good camera in it's own right, and one of the very best APS-C units available (from any manufacture) but never really a true replacement for the D300(s) or a real competitor for the Canon 7D MK II.

To be fair the D7200 does have better battery life, and a much simpler WIFI setup (but one that currently actually works unlike the D500 Snapbridge which is flaky at best), and is a fair bit lighter. Despite that, as I said for me, the D500 is almost perfect (nothing that a little firmware update can't cure), and really is a beast of a camera. Well worth the extra £ in my mind. In fact I'm finding I'm using it more than my D810 now (yes back to DX), but almost lamenting me selling my 17-55 F2.8 AFS some years ago (although my copy of the 16-80 F2.8-4 VR is simply superb and easily a match so no real hardship).

So I still had my Siggy 10-20 (15-30 Equiv), The Nikon 16-80 (24-120 Equiv), just need to decide if I keep my 70-200 F2.8 VR II (which is fantastic but big and heavy), or trade it in against the F4 version. Anyone any ideas on that front ?

Last edited:
I'll step in here and await to be shot down, but having used a D7200 for about a year and a D500 for 2 months now, I actually think that the D500 files are better (certainly at the higher ISO's) and more pleasing with less PP required than the D7200. I've yet to see the 3mp advantage in resolution that the D7200 has nor the slight DR advantage it has on paper. For me personally, the D500 is the best DSLR (for multi purposes) I've ever owned. I tend to spend far too much on gear and change bodies like most change underpants, and aside from my D3s I had a few years ago (which was another wow camera), the D500 just give me a similar wow factor. From the handling, the pro layout, the gorgeous rear screen, the incredible AF and FPS etc, it for me is a much better camera overall. Don't get me wrong, if the D500 hadn't have come along I would have been perfectly happy with my D7200, it really is a very good camera in it's own right, and one of the very best APS-C units available (from any manufacture) but never really a true replacement for the D300(s) or a real competitor for the Canon 7D MK II.

To be fair the D7200 does have better battery life, and a much simpler WIFI setup (but one that currently actually works unlike the D500 Snapbridge which is flaky at best), and is a fair bit lighter. Despite that, as I said for me, the D500 is almost perfect (nothing that a little firmware update can't cure), and really is a beast of a camera. Well worth the extra £ in my mind. In fact I'm finding I'm using it more than my D810 now (yes back to DX), but almost lamenting me selling my 17-55 F2.8 AFS some years ago (although my copy of the 16-80 F2.8-4 VR is simply superb and easily a match so no real hardship).

So I still had my Siggy 10-20 (15-30 Equiv), The Nikon 16-80 (24-120 Equiv), just need to decide if I keep my 70-200 F2.8 VR II (which is fantastic but big and heavy), or trade it in against the F4 version. Anyone any ideas on that front ?

Anyone who has had both like you will not be shooting you down with that statement the D7200 was excellent value for money in comparison but the D500 really is in another league imho mainly where focus and high speed shutter is concerned

I spoke to Thom Hogan a few weeks ago and he still recommends the 18-140 as the best DX walkabout, don't get me wrong a lot of people have great results with the 18-200 or 18-300.

I use the 18-140 and it's nice and sharp, anything over that I tend to just go all in and use a 150-600 I do need a middle lens and my goal is the 80-400

There are sufficient bad reviews of eglobal on eBay to put me off. They are selling the Nikon 200-500 for £900 which is a good price

The D500 is now down to £1430 at Panamoz which is a tempting price.

Does anyone know how we are supposed to get these Nikon Li-Ion 01 batteries replaced by Nikon when it is not permitted to post Lithium batteries on their own?

Does anyone know how we are supposed to get these Nikon Li-Ion 01 batteries replaced by Nikon when it is not permitted to post Lithium batteries on their own?

@shapeshifter Royal Mail will take them as long as you declare them to have the terminals covered and you ask them to use a sticker notifying that the parcel contains a battery (batteries).

Look forward to reading your review Roger as its one I looked at too
@AdamSi @wezza13

Mine came yesterday but as I was out went back to the sorting office ... today got a dicky tummy so not going anywhere! :eek:
Wez did you get your Pixel grip?

What walkaround lens are people using with this?

I bought the D500 with the new 16-80 F2.8-F4 VR (24-120 equiv), and have found it to be a fantastic lens. Tack sharp across all FL's, no AF fine tuning required on my D500 (at both ends of the zoom scale), great contrast, very quick and silent AF and excellent VR. I used to have the 17-55 on my D300s and D2Xs (when I had them), and to be honest, apart from the 17-55 being constructed from metal and built like a brick sh1thouse and of course constant aperture, the 16-80 is wider, longer (in FL's), smaller, lighter sharper (my copy at least), doesn't suffer from field curvature like my 17-55 did, and of course has VR.

About the only downside is the price, but then I got my D500 from Panamoz, and got it with the lens for a similar price that UK companies were charging for the body on it's own (just under £2k).

Last edited:
@AdamSi @wezza13

Mine came yesterday but as I was out went back to the sorting office ... today got a dicky tummy so not going anywhere! :eek:
Wez did you get your Pixel grip?

Hope you're well enough so that you can pick it up before the weekend!

Mine came a couple of days ago. It certainly bulks the camera up a lot, nothing that can't be hand-held, but feels a lot better balanced with my 150-600 on it. Where I've been using the selector-joystick on the main body for Dynamic 153, I can't seem to assign the one on the grip to act as the same on the body. If anyone knows how to, please let me know :)

Haven't had a real chance to test it yet, as have had lots of new work come in this week, but am hoping to go out Saturday morning for a few hours and Sunday for also a few hours (y)

just need to decide if I keep my 70-200 F2.8 VR II (which is fantastic but big and heavy), or trade it in against the F4 version. Anyone any ideas on that front ?
I would keep the F2.8. I had the F4, a very good lens until I tried to focus anywhere near MFD when IQ was soft, particularly at 200mm zoom. I swapped it for the F2.8 for that reason and don't regret doing so.

I would keep the F2.8. I had the F4, a very good lens until I tried to focus anywhere near MFD when IQ was soft, particularly at 200mm zoom. I swapped it for the F2.8 for that reason and don't regret doing so.

I have the 70-200 F4 and love it. I haven't tried using it at MFD but will give it a go. I mainly use it for landscape and as a general walk around lens. It is light and compact (compared to the 2.8). Only really used it on my D810 so far, but very happy with it.

From what I have read the F4 does not suffer from focus breathing - so if you are using your 2.8 at MFD then to compare like for like you would set the F4 to around 150mm.

Last edited:
@wezza13 @AdamSi

Picked my Pixel grip up today and it seems a fairly solid piece of kit, I've used a Meike before and this strikes me as being a better build.
Everything works as it should but like Wez I can't find how to assign functions to the selector/joystick ... I've looked at the manual and there is no mention there and I can't find any information anywhere on assigning the functions even on the OEM version, so I am guessing that it isn't possible.

One other thing of note is that the OEM version is compatible with the EN-EL18a battery, when used with the BL-5 battery door, which would provide a considerable increase in power available. I have contacted the supplier to establish whether their version can also be used in this way ... it needs to be checked as there is a voltage difference between the EN-EL15 and EN-EL18a.

@wezza13 @AdamSi

Picked my Pixel grip up today and it seems a fairly solid piece of kit, I've used a Meike before and this strikes me as being a better build.
Everything works as it should but like Wez I can't find how to assign functions to the selector/joystick ... I've looked at the manual and there is no mention there and I can't find any information anywhere on assigning the functions even on the OEM version, so I am guessing that it isn't possible.

One other thing of note is that the OEM version is compatible with the EN-EL18a battery, when used with the BL-5 battery door, which would provide a considerable increase in power available. I have contacted the supplier to establish whether their version can also be used in this way ... it needs to be checked as there is a voltage difference between the EN-EL15 and EN-EL18a.

I have the OEM battery grip and I'm pretty sure that when you plug it in the menu lets you custom assign the joy stick. I'll check tonight though beacuse I could be wrong.

Gramps- like you I bought my D500 from Panamoz. I saw that they were offering the OEM battery grip for £35 when bought with the camera, I though it too good to be true but took the gamble and it all came and it's all good. I could of never justified £350 on the grip but Panamoz made it very affordable.

Think he meant the battery not the grip for £35? Just been on and double checked as panicked I really had messed up buying uk this time

Not sure Adam, battery has been £35 with them from the start ... @WWA was it the genuine Nikon grip?

Not sure Adam, battery has been £35 with them from the start ... @WWA was it the genuine Nikon grip?

Genuine grip, yep. Couldn't believe it. I thought it would be a fake but the camera recognises it as genuine and had all the right packaging etc. I'll see if I can find a copy of my invoice.

Genuine grip, yep. Couldn't believe it. I thought it would be a fake but the camera recognises it as genuine and had all the right packaging etc. I'll see if I can find a copy of my invoice.

Don't worry about the invoice, we believe you! :)
Just noticed that the OEM version has an additional button, have you been able to programme that for other functions?

Just noticed that the OEM version has an additional button, have you been able to programme that for other functions?

Ah to be honest Gramps I've hardly had time to use the camera with the grip on, or at all since I got it. Been flat out with the harvest on the farm. I'll have a look at it all when I get a chance and report back.

Just looked now and I paid £1,556 which got me the camera and grip and a cheapo multi card usb reader. Guess I got very lucky then?

So I've just had a look. Youve got three buttons, one function button by the shutter release, the AF on button and the joystick.

The fn button can be assigned to a lot of different menu items, all sorts, and you can also select what the fn and front dial do when used at the same time- exposure comp etc. The AF on can be assigned to mimic camera or to all sorts of focus related options and the joystick can be same as camera or a few options. Hope that helps.

So I've just had a look. Youve got three buttons, one function button by the shutter release, the AF on button and the joystick.

The fn button can be assigned to a lot of different menu items, all sorts, and you can also select what the fn and front dial do when used at the same time- exposure comp etc. The AF on can be assigned to mimic camera or to all sorts of focus related options and the joystick can be same as camera or a few options. Hope that helps.

Thanks, the OEM version obviously has a few more features than the clones in this instance :)

Reactions: WWA

Had confirmation from Pixel that their grip does not support the use of the BL-5 door and EN-EL18a battery.

Interesting that a footnote to their email stated:-
(Kindly note that you are not advised to purchase PIXEL products from AliExpress according to the feedback from our customers about their poor post-sale service.)

Last edited:
Well think my D500 is broke, had the ERR message on the top and in VF, when I press the shutter button I can hear the shutter stuttering, it then sometimes clears itself and is fine.

Tested is before bed last night all ok, tried again this morning first time on ERR again shutter stutter then cleared.
Going to ring calumet today and ask what procedure is but I presume I send direct to Nikon..sad, as if.e done nothing with it at all....

Well think my D500 is broke, had the ERR message on the top and in VF, when I press the shutter button I can hear the shutter stuttering, it then sometimes clears itself and is fine.

Tested is before bed last night all ok, tried again this morning first time on ERR again shutter stutter then cleared.
Going to ring calumet today and ask what procedure is but I presume I send direct to Nikon..sad, as if.e done nothing with it at all....

@littleted
How long have you had it?
What cards are in when this happens?

card is the same card from new 64gb kingston SD

When i switch on the Camera on the odd occasion i get the err message near where the shutter speed is, if i then press the shutter release i hear the shutter kind of stutter a couple of times, then it will either clear and be fine for hours or keep doing it.
Done it 3 times now, I've just updated the firmware to 1.02 and I'm testing it like mad.

i haven't used it for 4 weeks as I've been away, i went and did some testing with focal pro yesterday and since then its been crap. Maybe the softwares done something. Ive totally reset it from the menus, is there any other way to lets say Hard reset them ?

You done the 2 button press reset? And tried a totally different card? Also might be worth reflashing 1.02

i went and did some testing with focal pro yesterday and since then its been crap. Maybe the softwares done something. Ive totally reset it from the menus, is there any other way to lets say Hard reset them ?
@littleted
Ah, Focal needs to be properly closed down or you may have issues with the camera not restoring to its normal settings ... I suggest re-connecting it to Focal and going through a complete test, then close down and disconnect IN THE SOFTWARE before switching off the camera.

ill do that thanks Gramps

whats the 2 button reset ?

Back