D500

Oh well moot point anyway, installed Snapbridge and tried to pair ... just goes round in circles and says cannot pair. electronics has become a complete farce!

Perhaps that's what the new firmware update is for.

On another note, I like my D500 so much that I might sell my Sony A7ii and get the 16-80 for the D500. Although it is bigger but I much prefer the layout and handling. I did buy the D500 purely for wildlife photography but I love using it with the 18-140 for everyday stuff.

On another note, I like my D500 so much that I might sell my Sony A7ii and get the 16-80 for the D500. Although it is bigger but I much prefer the layout and handling. I did buy the D500 purely for wildlife photography but I love using it with the 18-140 for everyday stuff.

16-80 is a cracking lens

Mike

Reactions: WWA
I second that :plus1:

Anyone else having difficulties connecting the D500 (post firmware update) to the new IOS app like Gramps ?

Was really hoping this would work flawlessly out of the box or GPS logging on the D500 (not bothered about sending images back and forth etc.).

I'm also having trouble connecting.

When I go to the "Connect to smart device" option on the camera it asks me for a password, but I have no idea which one it's referring to?

My Bluetooth option is also greyed out and turned off (airplane mode is off).

Well I eventually got mine connected.
I didn't find it terrible intuitive and I'm not really sure what it's doing now!
I haven't been out to take any pics to download etc but will try a bit later.

Well I eventually got mine connected.
I didn't find it terrible intuitive and I'm not really sure what it's doing now!
I haven't been out to take any pics to download etc but will try a bit later.

I have a horrible feeling it won't help your battery issues! Any love from Nikon yet?

I have a horrible feeling it won't help your battery issues! Any love from Nikon yet?

No real help from Nikon aside from the suggestion that the Lexar cards were the source of the problem.
Unfortunately I then had a good day with 1250 shots on a single battery charge and it looked as though not using the Lexar SD cards had sorted the problem but next time out I was back to short numbers, though not quite as bad as originally. Hopefully the firmware update will address the issue by the backdoor!

No real help from Nikon aside from the suggestion that the Lexar cards were the source of the problem.
Unfortunately I then had a good day with 1250 shots on a single battery charge and it looked as though not using the Lexar SD cards had sorted the problem but next time out I was back to short numbers, though not quite as bad as originally. Hopefully the firmware update will address the issue by the backdoor!

Yes I hope it gets sorted for you.

So what are the recommendations for memory cards in the D500 then? Will a fast SD card give the required performance and fps or have you all forked out for xqd?

I haven't pulled the trigger yet on a d500, but pretty much decided I will. Just working out what I need to factor into the cost.

So what are the recommendations for memory cards in the D500 then? Will a fast SD card give the required performance and fps or have you all forked out for xqd?

I haven't pulled the trigger yet on a d500, but pretty much decided I will. Just working out what I need to factor into the cost.

Don't know how fast you need it to be but my advice before spending loads more money is try it with something like a 95 mb/s standard card.

Well just tried the IOS version of Snapbridge, and so far, everything is great and it connected first time and all functions appear to be working. Just need to see how much battery juice this sucker consumes now.

Well just tried the IOS version of Snapbridge, and so far, everything is great and it connected first time and all functions appear to be working. Just need to see how much battery juice this sucker consumes now.
Can you upload images from the D500 to your IOS ... mine sees the camera and the card slot but fails to display any images :(

Yep, upload from the camera working OK as is browsing the images on the camera

Yep, upload from the camera working OK as is browsing the images on the camera

Are you uploading jpegs?
Elsewhere says it can't work with RAW files so you have to take RAW + jpeg in order to upload them with Snapbridge.

New D500 Firmware available from http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/323/D500.html
Changes in 1.10
  • • Added support for the iOS version of SnapBridge.
  • • Changed some help text.
  • • Fixed the following issues:
    • - Images would not display correctly if playback zoom was used during image review.
    • - The focus point display would not light if the shutter-release button was pressed halfway after the standby timer had expired.
    • - The camera would stop responding if a command dial was used in the CUSTOM SETTING MENU > f Controls > f1 Custom control assignment > Movie record button +
      command_dial.jpg
      menu.
    • - If an option other than Off was selected for Active D-Lighting in the PHOTO SHOOTING MENU, pictures taken with an optional flash unit in auto aperture (AA), non-TTL auto (A), or distance-priority manual (GN) flash mode would be underexposed.

Snapbridge now available in the App store for IOS.

I couldn't find it in a search but instead did a browser search on my phone for snapbridge.Nikon.com - from there there's link to the IOS app that opens up in the app store. Just downloaded it but my camera is at home - bummer !

Thanks both for the heads up for the firmware update and Snapbridge IOS.

All working and can see images on iPhone taken with D500.

@gramps just as an update - Ive now used 95% of the battery and it is reporting 741 shots. This is still from the same battery charge that I posted on your battery usage thread a week ago (or more). Lots of tinkering with settings as i get used to the new toy and plenty of in camera image review with touch screen on.

Reactions: xmh
I'm also having trouble connecting.

When I go to the "Connect to smart device" option on the camera it asks me for a password, but I have no idea which one it's referring to?

My Bluetooth option is also greyed out and turned off (airplane mode is off).

Check in the wifi option menu in camera. Password can be found there. :)

@Osmo are you able to see RAW images via Snapbridge or is it just jpegs?

just as an update - Ive now used 95% of the battery and it is reporting 741 shots. This is still from the same battery charge that I posted on your battery usage thread a week ago (or more). Lots of tinkering with settings as i get used to the new toy and plenty of in camera image review with touch screen on.

741 shots is still not good on an almost full charge, should be around 1200+

At the risk of sounding like a moron, how would I check image format on the phone? Also, why would I need RAW on the phone? No intention of using the phone for PP - what cool thing am i missing?? :)

I was happy with 741, when I said a 'lot' and 'plenty' I meant it. Also, set up snapbridge with airplane mode off and tested image transfer and remote camera operation.
I think when I posted in your other thread it was the 17th August and even then I had only used 62%, so in two more weeks of tinkering and testing I've only now got to a nearly fully drained battery. The amount of use this new camera has had is a lot from this last battery charge, the image count may not reflect that, but as Ive read the manual (or continuing to read) and then tested I've had the camera on a lot. For my purposes and compared to the D810 and D800 I had before that, no complaints from me.

Edited to add: The one thing I think i did notice was that i think i saw snapbridge tell me i had 20% left when the camera reported 5%!

Last edited:
At the risk of sounding like a moron, how would I check image format on the phone? Also, why would I need RAW on the phone? No intention of using the phone for PP - what cool thing am i missing?? :)

I was happy with 741, when I said a 'lot' and 'plenty' I meant it. Also, set up snapbridge with airplane mode off and tested image transfer and remote camera operation.
I think when I posted in your other thread it was the 17th August and even then I had only used 62%, so in two more weeks of tinkering and testing I've only now got to a nearly fully drained battery. The amount of use this new camera has had is a lot from this last battery charge, the image count may not reflect that, but as Ive read the manual (or continuing to read) and then tested I've had the camera on a lot. For my purposes and compared to the D810 and D800 I had before that, no complaints from me.

Okay, I wasn't getting at you!
Nikon put the shots per charge for the D500 at over 1200, all I am saying is that there are an awful lot of people getting a lot less than that.

When you setup your camera you decide what image format you will take, RAW, jpeg, RAW+jpeg ... if you only shoot in RAW the images won't appear in Snapbridge as it only shows jpegs. For me this is useless, I have to change from shooting RAW in order to have a WiFi connection on my D500 ... something I can do perfectly straightforwardly on my D7200 without changing the way I shoot.

Sure. I wasn't getting at you either. Just trying to explain, that not too much attention should be with shot count for this battery cycle for me, but with overall use. I thought that I saw one of your posts where you said you had only got about 500 shots out of a full charge.

My friendly point here is that I could have completely exhausted the battery with 100 shots, would have taken about two months of course with playing with settings and making changes and all the other stuff we all do with a new camera. We already know just how many variables there are with how people use their cameras. I'm pretty convinced that without all of my messing about with the camera and using in a normal way, you know to take pictures, i reckon 1200 wouldn't have been an unrealistic estimate. Now that I'm a bit more confident with it, the next charge should be a more accurate reflection of shots per charge!

Also, camera manufacturer claims versus reality often reminds me of the epic mpg claims car manufactures make versus reality, even on an economy run! :)

To answer your jpg questions...I can't at the moment, i have the settings set as raw+jpg in the camera, so with what you have said, I'm as sure as i can be that it will only be the jpg I'm seeing in IOS. Does Nikon claim that RAW can be transferred across, if so, I hadn't seen that?

Does Nikon claim that RAW can be transferred across, if so, I hadn't seen that?

Not that I am aware of but it is widely assumed that it would, probably for the same reason as I assumed it would i.e. if it can work with RAW in the D7200 why not in the supposedly 'state of the art' D500?

The shots per charge claim comes from CIPA, 1240 shots per charge :)

I've thought this about my a7rii I might trade it in and get a 24-70 VR or more importantly the 80-400. Or wait for nikons d810 replacement, I'm finding I hardly have to process the files they just look good soc

I use SD Cards.

Sandisk 64gb 90 MB/s

+

Sandisk 32gb 95 MB/s

I normally shoot in 2-3 bursts and haven't seen any slowdown with them yet (y)

Downloaded the firmware update and got snapbridge working as should be. I can imagine it being useful on a family day out or such but maybe not when firing off hundreds of shots at birds etc. Certainly can see the appeal of having it on a smaller camera like the D3400 will have. I will certainly find it useful on the D500 at times. Seems strange that they have done away with RAW wifi transfer, as Gramps says seems a step backwards.

@littleted yes the images out of the Nikon are superb. The 18-140 is noticeably softer than my Sony lenses (as you'd expect!) so might sell the Sony gear and get some better Nikon glass. Any maybe a D3300/3400 for carrying about on days out?!

Got the Snapbridge working last night. Turns out the Password Protect option was on, although I don't remember playing with it before and none of my usual passwords worked. In the end I reset the camera and all was well.

Got it to connect to my phone first time, played with the options and watched as the photos I selected during playback were uploaded automatically to my Camera Roll (if anyone knows if/how I can get them to go to a custom folder instead please let me know). It does only work with jpegs, the option to transfer them becomes greyed out with RAW. That's fine with me as the times I'd want to transfer images is when I'm trackside/pitchside and I shoot in jpeg anyway, but the option would be nice.

2nd D500 has been ordered and should be with me soon :D .

My rental arrived today...

Quick play around and most seems good. Bit miffed its now two buttons to change from AFS - AFC , but I can live with that.
Im sure theres workarounds, but Im not going to look into those right now.

And - my god the Siggy 150-600 is a tardy lump!

Nevermind, tomorrow -

SIlverstone Motogp!

What's everyone's experience of shooting BiF's with the D500?

On average I tend to be on Centre-weighted metering, 1/2000, F8 with Auto-ISO. Normally use +1 Exp Comp for light coloured birds and +2 for dark coloured birds. My ISO is always high though, between 1000 and 1800 (roughly).

Any tips?

Thanks

What's everyone's experience of shooting BiF's with the D500?

On average I tend to be on Centre-weighted metering, 1/2000, F8 with Auto-ISO. Normally use +1 Exp Comp for light coloured birds and +2 for dark coloured birds. My ISO is always high though, between 1000 and 1800 (roughly).

Any tips?

Thanks

Variable TBH, don't know what lens you are using but I'm rarely at f8 on my 500 f4.
1/2000 is fine but not necessary with all birds, good 'catchall' though unless ISO is an issue ... Ev depends on circumstances.

Variable TBH, don't know what lens you are using but I'm rarely at f8 on my 500 f4.
1/2000 is fine but not necessary with all birds, good 'catchall' though unless ISO is an issue ... Ev depends on circumstances.

Normally have my 300 F4 on with 1.4 tc, so can use the aperture at F5.6. But I tend to get a lot higher keep rate when using f8, which is why I tried to stick at it as a base setting.

Mainly hand-held too.

I find that it's not even worth attempting BiF with an overcast/grey sky.

Never get frame-fillers though and normally have to crop a fair bit. I probably try to crop a bit too much, being used to the D810, and coupled with the high ISO, can't be good for the image.

Back