D500

done firmware and done a full run in focal, all seems ok for now, but i,ll keep my eyes on it
thanks

ill do that thanks Gramps

whats the 2 button reset ?

I can't remember which buttons it is. But two of the buttons on the camera have a green dot by them. Hold these two buttons down for 10sec or whatever the time is and it hard resets the camera.

Ive decided to add a D500 to my 150-600 Sigma S order with Lens fir Hire for Motogp.....

If I dont come back with what I want then I shant be buying one.

If its as good as promised, then Ive just dug myself a £3800 hole... ;)

Reactions: WWA
Ive decided to add a D500 to my 150-600 Sigma S order with Lens fir Hire for Motogp.....

If I dont come back with what I want then I shant be buying one.

If its as good as promised, then Ive just dug myself a £3800 hole... ;)

Will you be hand holding the Sigma S, or tripod?

:D I'll be looking forward to hearing how you get on. I have the d500 and sigma C but sometimes long for the S because of the weather sealing.
I just use a weather bag....I couldn't do with the sports weight when running round the track, fine for wildlife though, the C gets heavy after an hour or 2

Any tips on setttings that I might need to know about for Motogp @ Silverstone ?

whats the still iq like from the video ??
can you view the video stop it then basically take a screen shot or how does it work ? start taking a video then press the shutter release at the right moment ??????????????

Seems the popular option for sure.....

Will a single last all day do you think ?

Ive three Nikon batts for my D300, will they fit ?

Seems the popular option for sure.....

Will a single last all day do you think ?

Ive three Nikon batts for my D300, will they fit ?

No!
The D500 specifically needs the new Li-ion 20 version of the EN-EL15 battery.
The D500 is power hungry and some, myself included, are getting variable results ... I wouldn't go out on a full days photography like motor racing without at least one spare battery unless you don't think you will take more than say 400 photos. You could be fortunate and get 1000 shots but be prepared for much less.

I went out on Saturday and took 748 images, in 2-6 image bursts, reviewing after every burst, with the camera connected to SnapBridge on my Tablet recording the GPS and had 61% left. After I got home I connected the camera to the computer to download the images, and then left the camera connected for about 20 mins, and the power went down another 13%. :thinking: The power consumption seems to be variable, and hard to predict how long a battery will last.

Some users seem to be getting differing results from others doing similar things. :thinking: The variability doesn't seem right to me. :(

To those that have bought 3ed party grips, did they come with a tray for the AA batteries? And if they did, have you tried it with them in the camera yet?

I don't have one but was genning up on the grips, both the pixel and Meike one can take AA batteries and interestingly the Meike has a wireless remote built in also.

To those that have bought 3ed party grips, did they come with a tray for the AA batteries? And if they did, have you tried it with them in the camera yet?
Pixel came with the tray but I don't use AA's so I haven't tested it ... can't see why it wouldn't though :)

The variability doesn't seem right to me. :(

It isn't ... there will of course be some variation in the way people use the camera but it shouldn't be like it is.
It isn't even different people, one day with just the XQD I took 1200 shots and had 12% left (a lot of fast burst action) ... next time out 270 and had 51% left. :thinking:

Hopefully the rumoured September firmware update will happen AND address the issue.

Any tips on setttings that I might need to know about for Motogp @ Silverstone ?
I did a full day at Oulton park took Batt to 70%, turn flight mode on and i didn't use snap bridge, but to be safe take a spare, i did. Was well Impressed

Also update on issue, all seems fine now Nikon replied to emails and said if its cleared leave it and monitor it.. Weird though i was panicing :)

@gramps.... Is that running in airplane mode too?

It is Chris, yes.
I've been out today with the grip fitted ... 98% in camera and 100% in the grip when I started, after 334 shots the camera battery is the same and the grip is at 36%, so in theory one battery would have given me around 500 shots or less than half the estimated number!

New D500 Firmware available from http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/323/D500.html
http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/323/D500.html
Changes in 1.10
  • • Added support for the iOS version of SnapBridge.
  • • Changed some help text.
  • • Fixed the following issues:
    • - Images would not display correctly if playback zoom was used during image review.
    • - The focus point display would not light if the shutter-release button was pressed halfway after the standby timer had expired.
    • - The camera would stop responding if a command dial was used in the CUSTOM SETTING MENU > f Controls > f1 Custom control assignment > Movie record button +
      command_dial.jpg
      menu.
    • - If an option other than Off was selected for Active D-Lighting in the PHOTO SHOOTING MENU, pictures taken with an optional flash unit in auto aperture (AA), non-TTL auto (A), or distance-priority manual (GN) flash mode would be underexposed.

New D500 Firmware available from http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/323/D500.html
Changes in 1.10
  • • Added support for the iOS version of SnapBridge.
  • • Changed some help text.
  • • Fixed the following issues:
    • - Images would not display correctly if playback zoom was used during image review.
    • - The focus point display would not light if the shutter-release button was pressed halfway after the standby timer had expired.
    • - The camera would stop responding if a command dial was used in the CUSTOM SETTING MENU > f Controls > f1 Custom control assignment > Movie record button +
      command_dial.jpg
      menu.
    • - If an option other than Off was selected for Active D-Lighting in the PHOTO SHOOTING MENU, pictures taken with an optional flash unit in auto aperture (AA), non-TTL auto (A), or distance-priority manual (GN) flash mode would be underexposed.

Underwhelmed ... was hoping for at least something for the battery issues!
Can't imagine Snapbridge helping with the battery issues unresolved either.

Thanks for the heads-up :)

Thanks for the heads up.

Does anyone know when snapbridge will be available for iOS? Getting impatient now.

I was hoping for a bit more and the 9 point focus setting like the D5 got.

How ever maybe there is some magic under the covers :)

Snapbridge now available in the App store for IOS.

I couldn't find it in a search but instead did a browser search on my phone for snapbridge.Nikon.com - from there there's link to the IOS app that opens up in the app store. Just downloaded it but my camera is at home - bummer !

Reactions: WWA
Remind me: If using Snapbridge doesn't the camera have to have wifi switched on permanently & therefore Aircraft Mode switched off?

Yes, Airplane mode inhibits both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth is what Snapbridge uses for communication

Oh well moot point anyway, installed Snapbridge and tried to pair ... just goes round in circles and says cannot pair. electronics has become a complete farce!

Last edited:
Snapbridge now available in the App store for IOS.

I couldn't find it in a search but instead did a browser search on my phone for snapbridge.Nikon.com - from there there's link to the IOS app that opens up in the app store. Just downloaded it but my camera is at home - bummer !

Thanks for the info. Will give it a go later.

Back