D500

I was thinking of more the GPS location data Gramps, as that's the only part of it that's really of interest to me.

There is a thread running over on DPR about this. Not good it seems.
(I don't have enough posts to post links).

is anyone using a Nikon 18-105mm f3.5-5.6 DX with their d500?
Just wondering how it performs on the d500 and whether, seeing as I already have one, replacing it with the newer Nikon 16-80 as a walkabout lens when I order the d500 would be a good move or not for the price.

Also anyone got links to d500 image libraries that aren't just mainly full of birds please? [emoji6]

Maybe you could type D500 in to Flickr and look at the pics that come up....unless they're all bird pics :D

Guys any of you perfected taking fireworks with the D500, i have the world championships tonight in the UK about 2 hrs drive and I'm thinking of going

I just wondered if any of you had any pointers and what settings etc.

I will of course be using a tripod and most probably my Tokina 11-16
any general pointers as ive been spoilt in the past with Olympus Live composite mode that just works easily..
What settings are you all using i presume Manual but what shutter length and F numbers ISO etc.

Thanks in advance.

Guys any of you perfected taking fireworks with the D500, i have the world championships tonight in the UK about 2 hrs drive and I'm thinking of going
You'd be better off posting this in a more general thread. The settings you'd use on a D500 are exactly the same as the settings you'd use on any other camera, so why not get the widest possible audience for your question?

I just wondered if any of you had any pointers and what settings etc.

I will of course be using a tripod and most probably my Tokina 11-16
any general pointers as ive been spoilt in the past with Olympus Live composite mode that just works easily..
What settings are you all using i presume Manual but what shutter length and F numbers ISO etc.

Thanks in advance.

I haven't used the D500 for Fireworks pics yet, but as Stewart said, it will be the same as any other camera. Here is the guide I give out to people for Fireworks. Hope it helps. BTW, I would say though that unless you are very close the 11-16mm lens may be too wide.

What you will need -
Camera - batteries charged, memory cards empty
Tripod
Remote Control (should you have one)
Torch
Warm clothes. ;)

Camera Settings
Camera
Mode - Manual (Fireworks mode if your camera
does not have Manual control)
ISO - Lowest possible (100 or 200)
Shutter - 5 or 6 seconds
Aperture - f11- f16 maybe higher
White Balance - Tungsten/Incandescent or set for any artificial light in your scene
Flash - Set to off
Image Stabilisation/Vibration Reduction - Set to off

Get there early to find a location. Be aware that when the crowds arrive you may have trouble with people knocking your tripod, so find somewhere with space if possible. Make note of the wind direction, you don't want the smoke going into your face.

Including any interesting scenery such as buildings, bridges etc as they can add interest, and it is a good idea to set your exposure for the object before the start if it is floodlit to get that exposed correctly.

Try to be familiar with how to change your camera settings before the event as trying to change things in the dark can be stressful, which is why the torch can be useful.
Use the remote control setting on your camera or the Self Timer setting.

I focus on the 1st explosion, or any practise explosions, and then set the camera to manual focus so that focus is locked. Some say set the lens to infinity but I've had soft results even when the fireworks were quite a distance away. I normally leave a bit of space at the top of the frame for the higher explosions they tend to throw in, but then most of your fireworks will only cover a small part of your image, it's up to you to decide how you want to frame the explosions. If you zoom in or out, focus again, switching to auto focus, and then back to manual focus when focus is set. Check your exposure after the first few explosions using the aperture to let more or less light in if needed. If you are under exposing set a wider Aperture (lower f number). If you are over exposing set a smaller Aperture (higher f number).

If it is a timed display and you know it is coming to an end, maybe because it is set to music, then shut the aperture down 2-3 stops (higher f number), and maybe the shutter speed lower too, (faster shutter speed) as they tend to throw everything up into the air at the end and you may end up with a big white blob as too many explosions over expose.

Good luck.

I'm at work atm, but here is an album of pics of Fireworks I did about 10 years ago using the method above. I didn't realise that album was still active. :thinking: :LOL:

Thanks for this, ive been doing some research and with this and what ive found i have what i need, just need to get the remote releases from my Dads then I'm good to go, just hope weather holds up..

thanks Red

Thanks. In a roundabout way I managed to find a better way to search by camera that wasn't immediately obvious. I had been looking at the d500 groups until now. However, if on any picture that says it is taken with the D500 you click on the camera name it gives you a run down of the camera and some stats about Flickr users using it plus a search tool that gets you to this.....
https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=&cm=nikon/d500

Gramps this isn't a comment on your set, but is it just me or does the collection of d500 stuff on Flickr overall luck a bit lack lustre? Not sure how to even define what I mean....the same search for d7200 for example gives not only a broader variety of images but they tend to look generally more impressive results. I know the d500 is newer but I can't generally think of a reason why i should get that impression......maybe I need my eyes testing! [emoji851]

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned but...

D500 from Panamoz is £1390 body only
http://panamoz.com/index.php/nikon-d500-dslr-camera-body-only.html
or Hdew have it with the 200-500mm for £2389. They want £949 for the 200-500 on its own at the moment.
http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/nikon-d500--200-500-vr-kit-4532-p.asp

--
I am tempted to get one from Panamoz..
I'm using the D7200 with D7000 as backup at the moment.. The D7200 is doing me fine but I want that extra FPS..

Besides from the extra FPS, what benefits have you guys noticed when it comes to wildlife with using the D500?

Last edited:
I am looking at ( maybe ) returning to Nikon - I had been thinking of a d750 due to its low light capabilities but I want AF accuracy for Motorsport and bmx. Of course I'll lose the size advantage of m43 and appreciate that in good light there will be little difference in IQ ( DoF and ability to crop aside )

So last night I watched a few YouTube videos about the d500, specifically high ISO. I saw a few where they used ISO up to the max ( not realistically going to ever use hi 5 ) and a couple of comparisons of iso6400 with the d750. The d500 was a little worse but not by much although they weren't in low light, just high ISO. Sites like dxo show the d750 to be twice as good in low light..

So who's portraying the "truth". The "easy" thing for me would be if Olympus pull a rabbit and get their AF up to scratch, better DR and better high ISO although a new body will likely cost in excess of £1000 for me to upgrade so I'm wondering if a system change would ultimately be a good idea.

Besides from the extra FPS, what benefits have you guys noticed when it comes to wildlife with using the D500?

Alison, IMO the only advantages of the D500 over the D7200 are the extra FPS (which is crazy!) and the far more positive AF, both of which count for wildlife but have questionable value for a duck on the pond or a finch on a twig.
Images from the D7200 I feel have better colour and when worked within its accepted range produce a clearer image ... the D500 can produce heavy noise almost like Gaussian blur, it's finer so more easily dealt with in NR but it can be very noticeable in OOF areas.
If you use WMU for image transfer on your D7200 you will be very disappointed with Snapbridge on the D500.

So last night I watched a few YouTube videos about the d500, specifically high ISO. I saw a few where they used ISO up to the max ( not realistically going to ever use hi 5 ) and a couple of comparisons of iso6400 with the d750. The d500 was a little worse but not by much although they weren't in low light, just high ISO. Sites like dxo show the d750 to be twice as good in low light..

So who's portraying the "truth".

I haven't used the D750 but I would be surprised if it wasn't better in low light than the D500.
Before the D500 came out we saw promotional caving images allegedly produced at ISO 51,200 with practically no visible noise, now these ISO figures were subsequently disputed but even so the images didn't look like anything I could capture with my D500. High ISO in the D500 produces noise which is very noticeable but (as above) is also very fine in texture, so more easily treated in NR software than with say the D7200 which produces a 'globular' type of noise.
Given ideal lighting and expertly controlled exposure the D500 may excel in low light but it wouldn't be my choice for anything other than its speed and AF.

Ok, thanks for your comments - maybe I need to improve my technique with the e-m1 ( I'm always looking for that perfect panning shot, even with bmx so perhaps my shots are let down by shake rather than focus ).

I guess I could always hire a d750 or d500 and see what's what

Guys can i ask a few simple questions around the D500 as I'm flitting between that and my Sony i forget stuff

If I'm in Manual Mode the ISO is set by me correct, Can you have Auto ISO ? or is it truly Manual ?
If I'm in aperture Priority mode and press ISO i can set it, but soon as i release it it goes back to Auto, is this normal, thus do i have to keep my finger on the ISO button to lock it in whilst i take the photo ?

thanks and apologies :)

Rob,

1, In manual mode you can have the ISO either truly manual (i.e. set by yourself) if Auto ISO is set to off, or still set automatically based upon your manually selected Aperture and shutter speed if Auto ISO is set to ON.

2. It sounds like you are trying to change the ISO manually (pressing the ISO button and rotating the Sub Command dial), with Auto ISO still on. In this mode you basically are selecting the MINIMUM ISO to be used in Auto ISO mode. If you want to just manually select ISO, without Auto ISO affecting it, then you need to turn Auto ISO off by pressing the ISO button and turn the main command dial - (front one), left or right for an On/Off effect.

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned but...

D500 from Panamoz is £1390 body only
http://panamoz.com/index.php/nikon-d500-dslr-camera-body-only.html
or Hdew have it with the 200-500mm for £2389. They want £949 for the 200-500 on its own at the moment.
http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/nikon-d500--200-500-vr-kit-4532-p.asp

--
I am tempted to get one from Panamoz..
I'm using the D7200 with D7000 as backup at the moment.. The D7200 is doing me fine but I want that extra FPS..

Honestly, I wasn't seeing a massive difference between my D500 and the D750 (certainly less than a stop), and so much more different to how the on-line reviews have it. Yes the D750 is better (then it is FF), but not as much as I was expecting.

I have images on here (a Jay) that was shot as ISO 12,800 in dim light, that i have printed to 16" x 12" and with a little noise reduction (which I would also have had to do with my D750 as well), it printed superbly, with absolutely no noticeable grain and brilliant feather fine detail.

As had been said before, the D500 certainly has noise (grain) at high ISO, but it's so fine, it cleans up really well, in fact I've been so impressed with the D500, I sold my D750 and just retained the D810 as my FF / DX combo.

Here's the Jay shot I was referring to.

SOOT you are a star i didn't think about the front wheel LOL...
What threw me also was because i was using BULB and long shutters the ISO was indeed 100 anyway as it detected it was the best for me.. Such a NAB

But appreciated Andy thanks, Just getting ready for Blackpool Fireworks this weekend used the Sony Friday, this Friday its Nikons turn...

i know a Nikon thread but here my fireworks from the weekend
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/blackpool-fireworks-2016.635702/

need to sort out my Verticals but not too bad...

i'd be more than happy with that Jay at ISO12800 ( if i was looking of course ;) )

I do miss the pro body, from when I had a D300. But full frame non-pro body D610 is a good compromise, for me.

I'm looking to buy a Nikon 16-80mm Lens. I know that it is offered as a kit lens with the D500 so if anyone has it and is thinking about selling then please let me know.

Anyone moved back from FX? Seriously considering a D500 to replace a D750.

I am not doing weddings any more and a lot more equestrian work.

I think it makes sense.

Anyone want a swap?!

Copied from the - "GAS - Spend my money on Nikon Gear" thread.....

I went from a D750 to a D500, and aside from a better Wi-Fi implementation (no Snapbridge required), I've found I haven't missed the D750 at all. As I also have a D810 though, I do have the FF side already covered, but I love the fact that the controls are very similar between the D500 and D810. As far as high ISO goes, I personally am certainly not seeing a 1-2 stop advantage that the D750 was supposed to have (more like ½-¾ of a stop at best). I have been really happy with the D500 up to and including ISO12,800 for good feather detail in bird photography, which is about as far as I ever pushed the D750 anyway. I know others will disagree but there you go.

As an aside, I do also love the Nikon 16-80 F2.8-4 VR lens that I got with my D500. It's super sharp and contrasty at all FL's and VR works great. It's been a much better lens that I had been lead to believe by some reviews (albeit still quite expensive), and better than my previous gold standard Nikon 17-55 F2.8. About the only advantage of that lens was the constant F2.8 aperture, but my copy was particularly susceptible to field curvature, where as the 16-80 doesn't appear to be.

Hmmmmm... tough decision to make! I love my D750... but think I might love the D500 more...

As I understand it it's better on the d500 in terms of tracking moving subjects such as BiF and for sports, the reach helps with both of those too. That doesn't mean the d750 is bad.

I'm flip flopping between the two at the moment. I am finding it a difficult decision as I'm not considering having two cameras for two different tasks.....so I'm thinking which is great at what I do the most of? Because I don't think either is bad for other purposes

As I understand it it's better on the d500 in terms of tracking moving subjects such as BiF and for sports, the reach helps with both of those too. That doesn't mean the d750 is bad.

I'm flip flopping between the two at the moment. I am finding it a difficult decision as I'm not considering having two cameras for two different tasks.....so I'm thinking which is great at what I do the most of? Because I don't think either is bad for other purposes

Im in exactly the same boat, and coming from D300....

For me it's more of a leap from d7000..... Also contemplated d7200, but one of my frustrations (and I admit in part down to my own skill at least) is addressed with the d750 face recognition. I don't think I do any BiF or sports to speak of.....the only downside is having to purchase some additional FF glass for the d750. On the other hand not all the DX lenses I have are that great, so even if I went d500 I reckon I'd end up swapping some lenses

It all swings and roundabouts!

Last edited:
Well I'm moving back to DX. D750 up for sale so it's time to go D500 shopping!!!

What made you finally decide to jump ? Is the d750 slow to focus for moving subjects ?

What made you finally decide to jump ? Is the d750 slow to focus for moving subjects ?

Nope, it's not slow at all but I have some new and exciting bookings next week involving the local race yard and some events at the race ground.

The D500 just makes sense for me. Looking to invest in a 70-200 next.

Anyone thinking of buying a battery grip for their D500 who don't want to pay out nikon prices might like to look at the EXpro version, I received mine today and am very pleased with the apparent good quality of it
the fit and finish are excellent, I decided to try them for a grip because I have used their batteries before in a number of cameras and have never had a problem, they are more expensive than the usual copies
I paid £79.97 for the grip and two batteries but I think they are very good value the batteries work fine with the D500 in the grip and in the body, the company is based in the UK and I was able to get next day delivery
extra £7.46. www.exprodirect.com usual disclaimers apply.

Last edited:
Back