D500

my D500 says the 300mm f2.8 VR II is minus 16...we`ll see
What's the 300mm been on other cameras? My first D750 needed huge (+12 to +18) calibration on my fast lenses but it had other issues and was eventually exchanged and my new one needs no AF adjustments on any of my lenses.

that's a lot Rob, id be suspect of anything that much, do a few and see what it averages out, you could always to the dot tune thingy....see if its telling the truth...

im going at the week end to try some birds in flight shots with the d500 what do you find is best for af
single point or group ?
also set to continuous ?

continuous and try the grp first then widen the grp area, as birds can be erratic thus i sometimes play with 3D and youll be amazed at how many it nails.....

im going at the week end to try some birds in flight shots with the d500 what do you find is best for af
single point or group ?
also set to continuous ?
Continuous AF, generally group for BIF. It's the only time I use anything other than single point.

When I photograph BiF's with my D500, Group AF is great when the bird is against the sky.

When the BG is foliage or fields, I have far too many shots from the Group AF locking on to the BG rather than the bird, resulting in totally OOF birds. But, it's most certainly me causing the error. However, I find that with that type of BG, the 153-point mode works better at keeping track of the bird, once tracking it with the centre point (y)

When I photograph BiF's with my D500, Group AF is great when the bird is against the sky.

When the BG is foliage or fields, I have far too many shots from the Group AF locking on to the BG rather than the bird, resulting in totally OOF birds. But, it's most certainly me causing the error. However, I find that with that type of BG, the 153-point mode works better at keeping track of the bird, once tracking it with the centre point (y)

I find that Group can focus on foliage around the bird when it is close sometimes but I tend to final focus with single-point on a programmed button :)

Does the camera fine tune the lens itself when you go to the menu setting or do you have to do it with trial and error on say a ruler?

I'll try that, thanks for the tip with switching to single-point when subject is closer. I too have mine setup on the preview button on the front (y)
I meant when the foliage is close to the bird rather than when the bird is close to me :)

whats the the best battery grip to use apart from the over priced nikon one
also where are you buying exta batterys from ?

Last edited:

I've got the Meike. Several of us use it.
Got extra batteries with the camera from Panamoz. Not sure that 3rd party ones work.

I've had this one (Pixel Vertax) since August 21st and it hasn't been off of my D500 and still going strong.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01J5TBPMI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I know Gramps had a problem with his within a few days, which made me a bit dubious in the first few days that I had it, but would highly recommend and wouldn't hesitate to buy another (y)

I use the meike with 8 eneloops, taken over 2000 shots and only had to recharge them once and the main battery is still 90%, very impressed with the grip and the battery performance.

What cards does everyone recommend?

So whilst waiting for my flight at Gatwick I went in to the electronics store and they they had the the D810, D750 and D500 next to each other.

D500 looks bigger when sitting next to the D750 but when in hand it didn't actually feel that much bigger.

Not sure if anyone been in there but you can attach the lenses on display to each body and try them all out.

The D500 FPS is insane! When I tried it alongside the D750 is sounded so much quicker than the 3.5 FPS it has over the D750.

What cards does everyone recommend?
Depends how mental you want to go, a mid-range XQD will get you 100 shots then 3.3 secs before you can take another 100 ... on the other hand I've yet to exceed the capability of a Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-I 95 Mb/s SD card.
I use a low-range Lexar 1440x XQD and a Sandisk 95 purely for convenience.

Depends how mental you want to go, a mid-range XQD will get you 100 shots then 3.3 secs before you can take another 100 ... on the other hand I've yet to exceed the capability of a Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS-I 95 Mb/s SD card.
I use a low-range Lexar 1440x XQD and a Sandisk 95 purely for convenience.

I have loads of SD so it would be xqd ones I need. Wouldn't need a anything near 100 shots TBH!

I have loads of SD so it would be xqd ones I need. Wouldn't need a anything near 100 shots TBH!

Lexar 32GB 1400X 210Mb/s should be fine at around £50 but the 2933X have now dropped to around £60+

That's not too bad! Can you set SD as primary out of interest?

Playing with both cameras together this morning has made my mind up about what to do!

So whilst waiting for my flight at Gatwick I went in to the electronics store and they they had the the D810, D750 and D500 next to each other.

D500 looks bigger when sitting next to the D750 but when in hand it didn't actually feel that much bigger.

Not sure if anyone been in there but you can attach the lenses on display to each body and try them all out.

The D500 FPS is insane! When I tried it alongside the D750 is sounded so much quicker than the 3.5 FPS it has over the D750.

Wasn't it cheap enough to buy from there?

How does the 35mm ED perform on DX? Does it perform as well as the DX 35mm?

Looking for primes that work on both FX and DX.

Another corker Rob, I miss my 500 at times and crave a 400 but know if I changed my either one I'd miss the 300, interesting to see you had both and gone back to the 300 2.8 again guess you really missed it ?

recouping money tbh Adam.just didnt use it enough
That was the mian reason for selling my 500 and to be honest it crosses my mind about the 300 but with 2 weeks in Scotland in April with chance of pine martens visiting the lodge we staying at I'm holiding on until after the trip, it certainly loves the D500!

Surely any prime that works on FX also works (albeit differently) on DX? And there are very few DX-only primes, so to my mind "primes that work on both FX and DX" is (with very few exceptions) just the same as "primes". Or am I missing something?

PS - *Complete* list of DX-only primes. It's not very impressive.
Sigma 4.5mm f/2.8 Fisheye
Sigma 10mm f/2.8 Fisheye
Nikon 10.5mm f/2.8 Fisheye
Sigma 30mm f/1.4
Nikon 35mm f/1.8
Nikon 40mm f/2.8 Micro
Tamron 60mm f/2 Macro
Nikon 85mm f/3.5 VR Micro

Last edited:
How does the 35mm ED perform on DX? Does it perform as well as the DX 35mm?

When I was using my D7000 a few years ago, I always bought full frame lenses as the imaging area is smaller on DX, you're not using the outer part of the full frame lens. As you know lenses are usually softer on the outer areas, so you're reducing this on DX. So your 35mm FX lens should work well on your DX D500.

Just a quick test shot with the D500 from yesterday. Pleased with the result, considering it was taken through our kitchen window, using a Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro lens, fitted with a Kenko 1.4TC and ISO 2000.

A quick observation from me, it seems as if the WB is a lot warmer on the D500 compared to my D810 using auto WB. Anyone else notice this?

F8, ISO 2000, 1/800

Trying out my Nikon D500. by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Last edited:
Very nice sharp image there

Strange you said that about WB I found mine a Brit cooler than the d750 which is pleasing to me

Do you have Auto WB 1 and Auto WB 2 on the D500 like the D750 where 2 is a bit warmer?

Back