D500

Yes.. the weather has been so bad! Another majorly grey weekend here so sorting LR and flckr out. Loving this camera though.. specifically the ability to ignore the iso with 000's on the end :) a few here taken over the last 2 weeks. All with the 200-500.

Sonny by Ben, on Flickr

Coal Tit by Ben, on Flickr

Morning Mist by Ben, on Flickr

Wow just WOW... The last one is lovely image indeed that a canvas

Cheers Andrew - the last one was about 7 photos randomly taken hand held and auto merged in PS. - should have taken a wider lens with me but just wanting to play with the new toys.

Cheers Andrew - the last one was about 7 photos randomly taken hand held and auto merged in PS. - should have taken a wider lens with me but just wanting to play with the new toys.

Must learn to use PS as this Auto merge sounds good.. Not sure if LR does it too?

Yes.. the weather has been so bad! Another majorly grey weekend here so sorting LR and flckr out. Loving this camera though.. specifically the ability to ignore the iso with 000's on the end :) a few here taken over the last 2 weeks. All with the 200-500.

Sonny by Ben, on Flickr

Coal Tit by Ben, on Flickr

Morning Mist by Ben, on Flickr

Love the first one!

Must learn to use PS as this Auto merge sounds good.. Not sure if LR does it too?

Think LR does, but it can get messy quickly so rather be in photoshop :) The content aware fill helps a lot in PS unless you have lined up your shots properly in the first place for merging.

Last edited:
Well another Dog image LMFAO I bet you all be getting fed up of them lol.. I was just testing the ISO again which I needed to today.. What you reckon of this..

DSC_0799.jpg
by Andrew Rookes, on Flickr

Well another Dog image LMFAO I bet you all be getting fed up of them lol.. I was just testing the ISO again which I needed to today.. What you reckon of this..

DSC_0799.jpg
Nice pic. Do you use masking when you apply sharpening in LR?

Nice pic. Do you use masking when you apply sharpening in LR?

What you mean mate all I done is select black and white in LR and up contrast and little tweak to black and white level

What you mean mate all I done is select black and white in LR and up contrast and little tweak to black and white level
No sharpening?

With regards to sharpening it's usually best to apply some masking so that sharpening is not applied to areas with little/no detail such as the sky. This way no sharpening is applied to these areas and so you're not introducing/enhancing noise in these parts.

No sharpening?

With regards to sharpening it's usually best to apply some masking so that sharpening is not applied to areas with little/no detail such as the sky. This way no sharpening is applied to these areas and so you're not introducing/enhancing noise in these parts.

No not sharpen that at all mate? Is that bad is there somthing not right? Pls be honest

No not sharpen that at all mate? Is that bad is there somthing not right? Pls be honest
Not really, I'd just have removed the noise from the background but that's preference. RAW files generally need some form of sharpening, are you sure you're not applying any as LR does apply some by default (25 IIRC)?

Not really, I'd just have removed the noise from the background but that's preference. RAW files generally need some form of sharpening, are you sure you're not applying any as LR does apply some by default (25 IIRC)?

Will check next time. So it should be 0 and I brush in sharpness? You saying it a bit noisy that image

Will check next time. So it should be 0 and I brush in sharpness? You saying it a bit noisy that image
There's no right or wrong way of doing it, it's all how you want it. Normally LR will add 25, I sometimes take it up to 45-50 depending on subject, noise levels etc etc. I always use the masking slider so that I'm not applying sharpening to areas I don't want. On Mac if you press alt whilst moving the masking slider it shows you what you're applying sharpening to. You could just brush it in if you wish, or not add any at all if you so wish.

And no I'm not saying it's noisy, or at least it's no noisier than you'd expect at 3200 ISO (it's actually very clean for 3200). However, noise is apparent, especially in the background and also the black/shadow areas of the dog's ear.

Last edited:
There's no right or wrong way of doing it, it's all how you want it. Normally LR will add 25, I sometimes take it up to 45-50 depending on subject, noise levels etc etc. I always use the masking slider so that I'm not applying sharpening to areas I don't want. On Mac if you press alt whilst moving the masking slider it shows you what you're applying sharpening to. You could just brush it in if you wish, or not add any at all if you so wish.

And no I'm not saying it's noisy, or at least it's no noisier than you'd expect at 3200 ISO. However, noise is apparent, especially in the background and also the black/shadow areas of the dog's ear.

Well Well Well I have just learnt something new from you there Toby thank you and yes that is a nifty feature...

Can anyone recommend a remote release for the d500 that can do bulb exposure lengths through the remote, either wired or wireless?

Can anyone recommend a remote release for the d500 that can do bulb exposure lengths through the remote, either wired or wireless?

Bulb for birds shots hmmm :p

The Nikon MC-36 will do that for about £100+, :eek: but also any MC-36 compatible remote should do it from about £9-£20 depending on where you buy. I bought one years ago from 7DayShop but they don't seem to sell it any more.

I use the pixel one on the D750 and think it's great, I'm sure they'll do one for the D500.

Right guys I have been having a day with the D500 since I had some time testing a few things out..

The picture I am about to post I just can't understand when the carpet is sharper at the bottom then the top where I did focus on the bone in the centre of the bone I guess cos I took the image at a angle rather than Head on? See I am still learning and this is where I guess i need to work on and not equipment LOL..

DSC_0831.jpg

This image now is what I took using the Live View of the camera and I have found the Live view nails the AF point at the correct place than the OVF that can't be right can it really.. Hope it ok to post this image..

DSC_0876-Edit.jpg

Right guys I have been having a day with the D500 since I had some time testing a few things out..

The picture I am about to post I just can't understand when the carpet is sharper at the bottom then the top where I did focus on the bone in the centre of the bone I guess cos I took the image at a angle rather than Head on? See I am still learning and this is where I guess i need to work on and not equipment LOL..

DSC_0831.jpg

This image now is what I took using the Live View of the camera and I have found the Live view nails the AF point at the correct place than the OVF that can't be right can it really.. Hope it ok to post this image..

DSC_0876-Edit.jpg

Mate do you ever have a camera that can focus correctly? I'd say its been user error with all of them.

Are you telling me it not right?>

You shouldn't keep saying your cameras are faulty, get to know your camera, after you do that you'll panic less about the odd missed shot.

So even I focus on the correct place I need to get my angle correct too???

So even I focus on the correct place I need to get my angle correct too???

No. I said dont panic if you miss/mess up a shot / test or blame the camera and buy another to discover the same issue. Read about focus shift.

DSC_0831.jpg

This is most likely due to depth of field ? You shot from 67cm according to Flickr at 35mm f1.8 which gives a depth of field of 2.5cm - looks like the camera focused on the near spots, so the rear carpet will be more OOF

Back