D500

Might sell all my gear, get a d500 and show these whippersnappers a thing or too

Obviously, with m43 i don't have a narrow DoF issue :D

Well I focus on the white dot on the right looking at the image

So there's your answer, which agrees with what I said. There's no issue, just narrow DoF.

You'd need to spend some top dollar to replace your range of lenses!

TBH it's probably a good move for you.

Tell me about it...just went through it with the insurance company half hour ago.. £3750 of m43 stuff.. Ouch

Problem is, lose 40% to sell up and £22-2300 doesn't get a lot of stuff nowaday

Last edited:
Atleast I didn't buy anything new so I didn't pay anything like that but I was stunned at the cost of replacement

Anyway, best let Andrew get back to taking photos of carpet :)

Oh, I really must resist the temptation to click the "show ignored content" button at the bottom of the last couple of pages, I get the feeling someone is being daft again:rolleyes:

Right guys I have been having a day with the D500 since I had some time testing a few things out..

The picture I am about to post I just can't understand when the carpet is sharper at the bottom then the top where I did focus on the bone in the centre of the bone I guess cos I took the image at a angle rather than Head on? See I am still learning and this is where I guess i need to work on and not equipment LOL..

DSC_0831.jpg
by Andrew Rookes, on Flickr

This image now is what I took using the Live View of the camera and I have found the Live view nails the AF point at the correct place than the OVF that can't be right can it really.. Hope it ok to post this image..

DSC_0876-Edit.jpg
by Andrew Rookes, on Flickr
With the first pic think about the plane of focus and then you will understand why the carpet at the bottom is sharp and the top is OOF. It's normal.

As mentioned LV will be more accurate as it's using contrast detect, just like mirrorless.

Was testing the AF that all any way I shut up now guys I know when I go too far so that enough from me

Not at all I was testing things as I am more of less sticking for time being and building my lens up and hope to bond and if no no I wait for the next FF to release then go from there. But I am hoping to bond to this. FED up of spending

Andrew, we all have questions about stuff. I don't understand anything technical whatsoever so I just read up....then decide I still don't understand and go look at pretty pictures.

I think the point everyone is trying to make is that you should make the most of what you have, not look for faults and issues ( that don't actually exist ) all the time or you'll never get on. I enjoyed my old xf1 - it was £120 worth of point and shoot with a small sensor and poop at anything over iso800 but I learnt to use it, I didn't constantly pixel peep and go " oh, FFS this is crap ".

You have bought an awesome camera with amazing lenses - have no doubt in their ability. Many people would give their left arm for this combo. Just use them and learn how to get the best from them and you'll be fine.

Enjoy :)

Andrew, we all have questions about stuff. I don't understand anything technical whatsoever so I just read up....then decide I still don't understand and go look at pretty pictures.

I think the point everyone is trying to make is that you should make the most of what you have, not look for faults and issues ( that don't actually exist ) all the time or you'll never get on. I enjoyed my old xf1 - it was £120 worth of point and shoot with a small sensor and poop at anything over iso800 but I learnt to use it, I didn't constantly pixel peep and go " oh, FFS this is crap ".

You have bought an awesome camera with amazing lenses - have no doubt in their ability. Many people would give their left arm for this combo. Just use them and learn how to get the best from them and you'll be fine.

Enjoy :)

Thank you and I aim to mate

Firstly Rookies very clean carpet mate, is it new, mine would have Ribena stains on and Tikka Masala....

Anyway try this also
http://www.lightroomfocuspointsplugin.com/

shows you the focus point in the photo, also you can switch on the focus point on the camera and look at it on the rear.

As the guys said F1.8 is a real fine line, closer you get the harder it is. I remember when i got that 18-35 i thought it was broken because it didn't seem to be sharp where i though id pointed it. but i was mega close to the subject.

take the same picture at 2.8 and 5.6 and see if you can tell..... or if it looks better to you.

damian come on man get the D500 :)

i'd love a d500 Rob but i could only afford the body and 2 lenses ( £1869 from Panamoz with the 16-80 ) . At the moment, i have 7.5 to 210mm covered ( or 15 - 420 f4 ) so i'd want a 35mm f1.8 ( which is ok for the budget ) and a 70-something. Ideally that should be f2.8 and then i'd need a TC like i have now

Firstly Rookies very clean carpet mate, is it new, mine would have Ribena stains on and Tikka Masala....

Anyway try this also

shows you the focus point in the photo, also you can switch on the focus point on the camera and look at it on the rear.

As the guys said F1.8 is a real fine line, closer you get the harder it is. I remember when i got that 18-35 i thought it was broken because it didn't seem to be sharp where i though id pointed it. but i was mega close to the subject.

take the same picture at 2.8 and 5.6 and see if you can tell..... or if it looks better to you.

Thank you very much for posting this link! I gave up on this plugin a while back.

Used to use that plugin all the time, But it never got updated for the D500, probably is now though as it says 2017 edition! Very happy, off to download now :)

i'd love a d500 Rob but i could only afford the body and 2 lenses ( £1869 from Panamoz with the 16-80 ) . At the moment, i have 7.5 to 210mm covered ( or 15 - 420 f4 ) so i'd want a 35mm f1.8 ( which is ok for the budget ) and a 70-something. Ideally that should be f2.8 and then i'd need a TC like i have now

Ive got these and I'm covered

600mm Sigma C
18-35mm F1.8 same as rookies, ( id get this as its like having 3 or 4 primes in 1 ) a tad big but very good and sharp.
18-140mm 3.5 to 5.6 ( give me effective 27-210) appreciate not F2.8 but Thom hogan advised me for cheapness this is as far as he'd go with superzooms before moving FX. Its sharp
11-16 Tokina for ultra wide, ( rarely use this )

I do have access Damian to the F2.8 70-200 and 24-70 but i dont need them, i dont feel they look any better and are just heavy...

Last edited:

Anyway try this also

No the carpet is 6 years old WOOL and it such a lovely carpet. We are very clean in this house ha ha ha...

Anyway I have downloaded that plug in and thank you I like that very much as we use to be able to see these details in Aperture when apple had it out.. God knows why they stopped working on it

the 18-35 is £550 from Panamoz so thats my budget gone... think i'll have to stay put

Waterhead jpeg 12.1.17 (1 of 1).jpg

16-80 at 80. Handheld.
This shot is really for Rookies who expressed interest in the lens.
It was a gloomy day and the image is cropped.
Makes a change from dogs.

Last edited:
It's seasonal. In the autumn and winter, it's <100mm. From Easter when the drag racing season starts I need a longer lens but if I think about it probably not more than 150mm.

I like to have a zoom but I suppose it's not essential. I go to lots of car meets with my kids so a f1.8 is good ( I have a 30mm 1.4 at the moment and used to have a 35 when I had the Nikon )

A 17-55mm f2.8 and a well priced 70-200mm f4 would be perfect mate wouldn't it? You could then use a 1.4tc if needs be.

Almost makes me want to swap. :D

Do it do it [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

A 17-55mm f2.8 and a well priced 70-200mm f4 would be perfect mate wouldn't it? You could then use a 1.4tc if needs be.

Almost makes me want to swap. :D

problem with the price.. unless i found everything used

The Sigma pair of 18-35 F1.8 and 50-100 F1.8 and some FAT 600mm would be perfect.

the Thing that got me was the Nikon 70-200 would always put people off cos its mega expensive, that being said Sigmas and tamrons variants are pretty damn good and half the price.... that Nikon 80-400 is 1 i sometime lust after...

Gotta say though D that 70-200 F4 would be enough, its what i used on the A7Rii and coped fine in any event.

The 1.8 is mega for the Bokeh on the cars etc...

well, MPB have offered me £1760 for my stuff excluding 1 lens so thats the possibility to change gone

Back