D500

a good friend off mine disliked this image as he doesnt like vignetting.im ok with that and accept his critique...BUT its my image,i like the effect and also i had to clone a sign out and a trolley handle.Rookie its your shots to do with want you want and critique helps you.

DSC_1525 by Frontline Fighters.com, on Flickr
Beautiful shot, excellent rendition

Well gonna log a call with Nikon for D500, a few Months ago i had the ERR message and the shutter jamming sound like a stutter, after a few tries it eventually cleared itself, its been fine for 3 months until today been sat on a shelf for a few weeks picked it up got ERR again and shutter stutter, after 2 presses it cleared and has been fine all day.

Somethings gotta be bad with it, any of you had this a few times ?

Well gonna log a call with Nikon for D500, a few Months ago i had the ERR message and the shutter jamming sound like a stutter, after a few tries it eventually cleared itself, its been fine for 3 months until today been sat on a shelf for a few weeks picked it up got ERR again and shutter stutter, after 2 presses it cleared and has been fine all day.

Not had this with mine.

Sounds like ti could be plagued with the same issue as the D750 :eek:

Don't worry it been a dull day again but I still went out with it :)

But they were taken with a different camera ;)

Great images those what you look for on dull days
Yes I know it was a different camera, just wanted to show the day didnt put me off, the link is under the Rural and Architecture thread.:)

I am watching this thread quite closely because I am thinking of upgrading to D500 or D750, at the moment thee D750 has my vote for what I want to use the camera for, if I was into the fast stuff like Rob-mac, I think the D500 would go to top of the list.

Last edited:
Yes I know it was a different camera, just wanted to show the day didnt put me off, the link is under the Rural and Architecture thread.:)

Ah I understand sorry

I am watching this thread quite closely because I am thinking of upgrading to D500 or D750, at the moment thee D750 has my vote for what I want to use the camera for, if I was into the fast stuff like Rob-mac, I think the D500 would go to top of the list.
The D750 can do fast stuff :p

They are both very nice good camera.. It all down what end results you would like.. I would like a D750 again... but if I will I don't know yet as I am just building my lens up first and I been having a good play with the D500 the past couple of days and some lovely images are coming out of it

was out with my new d500 trying to shoot some red kites a lot of shots where not sharp !
i was using 1/1200 sec shutter shutter priority single point focus centre one
can i ask what your settings are for birds in flight ?

does anyone use group focus points ?

Yes I like the group focus too, it seems to lock on well.
I do find that with group I need to re-engage the focus to get the lock initially more than with single point, but not sure if this is just me using the ae-l button for single and the joystick for group, or the behaviour of those modes, or more likely just me making wrong assumptions after not much use :)

was out with my new d500 trying to shoot some red kites a lot of shots where not sharp !
i was using 1/1200 sec shutter shutter priority single point focus centre one
can i ask what your settings are for birds in flight ?

does anyone use group focus points ?
I use manual mode with minimum 1/1000 shutter, f8 and auto ISO. I swap between single point and group.

I use manual mode, shutter 800 or 1000 and aperture f6.3 (or 5.6). Auto ISO takes care of the exposure.
AF-C with a1 set to focus plus release. (It may be worth your while trying the different options for this)
I prefer d25 rather than group, although I have not done that much bif.
AF-On of course.
I use the joystick to shift the focus points around the screen. e.g. If the bird I'd flying left to right I have it towards the right, aiming to get the eye in focus.

Last edited:
Getting withdrawal symptoms now ... SWMBO had a hip replacement last week and can't be left for several weeks until she is more mobile so I'm an enforced house-husband & nurse for now and all I can do is look at my D500 & 'new/old' Nikon 28-70 f2.8 that I haven't tested out yet :(

Getting withdrawal symptoms now ... SWMBO had a hip replacement last week and can't be left for several weeks until she is more mobile so I'm an enforced house-husband & nurse for now and all I can do is look at my D500 & 'new/old' Nikon 28-70 f2.8 that I haven't tested out yet :(

Sorry to hear that, Roger. Hope she's on the mend soon :(

However, I'm more than willing to look after your 500mm for you until you can get back out. To do you a favour, of course :p

Sorry to hear that, Roger. Hope she's on the mend soon :(

However, I'm more than willing to look after your 500mm for you until you can get back out. To do you a favour, of course :p

Thanks Wez, she's making progress but still gets a lot of pain ... as for the 500mm, I keep hearing cries of "Let me out!" when I walk past the Lens Trekker backpack! :D

Just give you a heads up guys, Spoke to Nikon this morning, D500s going in for a service and to check whats causing the intermittent ERR message. Will keep you posted on her progress.

Just had to involve GAS didn't it! I like it. How did you go about the shot?

Thanks.. I put the lens on a Black board and placed it near the window ad let the light from the windows shine onto the lens and click away :) I added black to it in LR that about it really...

Whilst the D500 is an amazing bird and wildlife camera, with it's amazing DR (for a DX camera), it's also not too shabby as a landscape camera too. The following is far from a great shot (more a snapshot) but considering this is from the cameras JPG file (not Raw), I'm pretty amazed at what this camera can capture

Back