D500

Yep, all implementations I'd like to see too, assuming you mean by hybrid you mean an optical viewfinder that has an overlay to show such things as peaking? LV AF improvements are a must imo.

Exactly. How amazing would that be?!

This is a bit of a cool selling point for action:
Nikon-D500-Viewfinder-Coverage.jpg
Certainly is, I'd love AF points to the edges like that but alas that's never going to happen on FF until they go mirrorless I wouldn't have thought.

Not having inbuilt flash would not worry me use it so little I would just use my external when / if needed
Agreed, I never use the pop up and would rather carry a speedlight.

I think most of it is probably just "marketing."

You do realize that the D500 has a pixel size of 4.22um... that's directly comparable to the 50MP 5DS at 4.14um.
The D7200 is at 3.92um and the D8xx is at 4.88um.
You'll hear many talk about how demanding the D8xx is on lens/light/technique/etc and it's all due to the tiny pixels... and every one of those other cameras are even *more demanding.*
IMHO there is some benefit to high resolution, but for wildlife/action/low light, not really. I'll still use my D810 for that stuff but very seldom is there ever a true benefit, and occasionally it is a real negative.

I think the ISO ratings are about nonsense... small pixels are small pixels. My D810 has high ISO's, but I won't use it above 1600 if I want/need large output or if there is going to be cropping involved. There's a chance that they might be implementing raw file noise reduction (ala Sony A7) to get a "higher usable," but that's probably not any better.

The focus points is also probably not that big of a deal... in order to get more of them they have to be made smaller. And that means they receive less/per and will have reduced accuracy individually. I'm guessing that in order to offset that they are "grouping" them together into the 55 selectable points; a slight gain over the previous 53pt system.

My D4 will do 10fps and my Nikon1 will do 15fps w/ AF... all that really does is fill the buffer/card in a hurry and make it harder to manage. Yeah, it's a slight increase in "chance," but it won't offset the requirement for timing/knowledge (I do about as well w/ the D810 at 5fps as I do w/ the D4 at 10fps).

All is yet to be seen, but I have not heard of any advances in technology that makes any of these "gains" possible without tradeoffs similar to what I have mentioned... They didn't even switch to BIS which *could* have given a *slight* true ISO performance gain (actually an increase in efficiency). So, we'll see... But I'm not that excited...

The release of the d500 should mean the already cheapish d7100 and d7200 may drop even further. Here's a whacky idea: Spend less on the body and more on the glass.

I think most of it is probably just "marketing."

You do realize that the D500 has a pixel size of 4.22um... that's directly comparable to the 50MP 5DS at 4.14um.
The D7200 is at 3.92um and the D8xx is at 4.88um.
You'll hear many talk about how demanding the D8xx is on lens/light/technique/etc and it's all due to the tiny pixels... and every one of those other cameras are even *more demanding.*
IMHO there is some benefit to high resolution, but for wildlife/action/low light, not really. I'll still use my D810 for that stuff but very seldom is there ever a true benefit, and occasionally it is a real negative.

I think the ISO ratings are about nonsense... small pixels are small pixels. My D810 has high ISO's, but I won't use it above 1600 if I want/need large output or if there is going to be cropping involved. There's a chance that they might be implementing raw file noise reduction (ala Sony A7) to get a "higher usable," but that's probably not any better.

The focus points is also probably not that big of a deal... in order to get more of them they have to be made smaller. And that means they receive less/per and will have reduced accuracy individually. I'm guessing that in order to offset that they are "grouping" them together into the 55 selectable points; a slight gain over the previous 53pt system.

My D4 will do 10fps and my Nikon1 will do 15fps w/ AF... all that really does is fill the buffer/card in a hurry and make it harder to manage. Yeah, it's a slight increase in "chance," but it won't offset the requirement for timing/knowledge (I do about as well w/ the D810 at 5fps as I do w/ the D4 at 10fps).

All is yet to be seen, but I have not heard of any advances in technology that makes any of these "gains" possible without tradeoffs similar to what I have mentioned... They didn't even switch to BIS which *could* have given a *slight* true ISO performance gain (actually an increase in efficiency). So, we'll see... But I'm not that excited...
Depends how you view it. It's not marketing in that these things are in place and are technically an advancement (some of which is quite impressive). Where the marketing comes in is making us believe that we want/need them ;)

BIF with a digiscope should be fun! ;)
birds static were bad enough,many times i nearly threw the scope at them..used to drive me nuts, press shutter "come on take picture " bird moved missed the shot, then try to find bird again in view-finder , got the shot!! of a blurred something...
those were the days....

The release of the d500 should mean the already cheapish d7100 and d7200 may drop even further. Here's a whacky idea: Spend less on the body and more on the glass.

Depends what your priorities are. And you would have to assume that those looking at a £1700 camera probably have some decent lenses already. As I said before, it looks to be positioned very much as a D5 backup body. D3s/D300s used to be a lovely combo.

Don't think it has it's own thread, but the SB-9000 is a bit of a disappointment. Was hoping nikon would do a flash with a big Li-ion battery in it by this stage.

Depends what your priorities are. And you would have to assume that those looking at a £1700 camera probably have some decent lenses already. As I said before, it looks to be positioned very much as a D5 backup body. D3s/D300s used to be a lovely combo.

I've pre ordered the D5 and yes, will probably get the D500 as a back up. I originally had the D3 and D300. worked well as a pair.

I've pre ordered the D5 and yes, will probably get the D500 as a back up. I originally had the D3 and D300. worked well as a pair.
Nice. Fingers crossed there's no early release gremlins that need to ironed out on this model.

This could be a great camera for me and whilst I don't really need it yet, by the time I'll be looking it'll a) have hopefully had initial recalls done b) come down in price a little and c) become available at Panamoz for half the UK price :)

Nice. Fingers crossed there's no early release gremlins that need to ironed out on this model.

I've been lucky so far. None with the D3, 3s, 4 or 4s. They seem to get it right with these models.
Need to at the prices they charge!

Thinking about it, non with the D300 either. Or my original D80!! :) :)

Last edited:
If you don't need the features of the D500, get a D3000 or D5500 and save even more money. :rolleyes: ;)

I'm one of these seemingly weird people, reading a lot of internet Forums anyway, ;) who wants one camera to take pictures of everything they do, the D300S does it now, and the D500 will hopefully do everything better. :)

If you don't need the features of the D500, get a D3000 or D5500 and save even more money. :rolleyes: ;)

I'm one of these seemingly weird people, reading a lot of internet Forums anyway, ;) who wants one camera to take pictures of everything they do, the D300S does it now, and the D500 will hopefully do everything better. :)
So will the D7200 for a lot less money :p

I have a telescope and a Nikon mount adapter that came with it. Never thought about using my telescope for long-reach bird photography.
Scrap that, I've just had a thought that it's a refractor telescope and I think the image I get would be upside-down?
Oh no. What a shame. If only there was some way to... I dunno... turn an image upside down after you'd taken it. Think how cool that would be. You would get your upside down image with the telescope - you'd put it through this... gadget for want of a better word... and it would come out the right way up!!! If only...

EDIT - Something like this perhaps: http://dilbert.com/strip/1998-12-20

Last edited:
Oh no. What a shame. If only there was some way to... I dunno... turn an image upside down after you'd taken it. Think how cool that would be. You would get your upside down image with the telescope - you'd put it through this... gadget for want of a better word... and it would come out the right way up!!! If only...

EDIT - Something like this perhaps: http://dilbert.com/strip/1998-12-20

You sarcy bugger lol.

I know, I thought the same thing when I typed it but, if I'm taking pics of birds that keep flying about to different spots, then I couldn't be doing with having to try tracking it whilst the image is upside down in the viewfinder. Would do my head in!

If I'm taking pics of birds that keep flying about to different spots, then I couldn't be doing with having to try tracking it whilst the image is upside down in the viewfinder. Would do my head in!
Absolutely. Our brains just don't work like that.

This could actually be a viable option for us as a backup camera. My wife wants to switch to a 35mm lens and was considering selling our 24mm and buying another D750. If the high ISO performance is good we'll probably get one of these instead and keep the 24mm for it. Would give our 85 and 50 a nice added bit of reach.

2 things that have swayed our thinking:
1. Better AF in LV and touchscreen focusing. We LV shoot quite a bit.
2. Automatic AF fine tune. If this works it would save me a lot of hassle faffing around with Focal.

Obviously all the other specs are bang on (barring no U1/U2 slots).

Absolutely. Our brains just don't work like that.

They do work like that. But you have to train them to do it. And once you've trained yourself so that left is right and up is down, the normal way of operating then becomes difficult.*

*finally I get to show off something I learned during my degree...

This could actually be a viable option for us as a backup camera. My wife wants to switch to a 35mm lens and was considering selling our 24mm and buying another D750. If the high ISO performance is good we'll probably get one of these instead and keep the 24mm for it. Would give our 85 and 50 a nice added bit of reach.

2. Automatic AF fine tune. If this works it would save me a lot of hassle faffing around with Focal.

Didn't realise that it didn't have U1/2 slots, that's quite a big omission for me. Auto AF fine tune sounds good, but does it allow you to do it manually as well just in case? (I'm a bit of a control freak like that ;)) LV AF is quicker is it, I've not seen any videos on it tbh but it's about time ;) The AF-ON button looks much better placed than on my D750 (AEL customised to AF-ON).

I don't actually want to go back to crop body, but this is certainly a camera I'll keep an eye on as a backup when the price drops.

Lack of the U1/2 settings, might suggest user saved settings are stored in the custom menu bank and shooting menu bank each of which has 5 slots of available. That's how it is on the D810 (if I have explained it right), Could be completely different on d500 though.

Last edited:
Lack of the U1/2 settings, might suggest user saved settings are stored in the custom menu bank and shooting menu bank each of which has 5 slots of available. That's how it is on the D810 (if I have explained it right), Could be completely different on d500 though.

Yeah I presume it's that. That system is fiddly and awkward compared to the quickfire U1/U2 of the D750.

I also like the look of the AF-ON button and the doing away with the secondary AE-L button. I'm a back-button focuser and have AE-L programmed to a button on the front. I find that more intuitive.

Exactly how it worked on the D300 too

But with the addition of the touch screen and custom button mapping i don't see it being any sort of drawback over the U1/U2 functions, especially as a D7100 user myself, i would like more than just the 2 custom setting modes i currently have available, i welcome the return of the D300/D810 way of doing it (if indeed that is what the are using on the D500, and i highly suspect it will be, or at least something very similar)

Unfortuntately for me, I hated and still hate that system. Especially because the Nikon UI/menus are so badly designed. I program my U1/U2 on the fly. I shoot weddings and do so manually. These U1/U2 settings on the diall allow me to set exposure for, say dark church and bright outdoors, and let's me quickly change without taking my eyes from the VF. Not even 10 of the old banks would be better than U1/U2 for me. Pity Nikon disagrees, as both systems could easily be implemented in the one body.

I guess this may now be my next camera - damm the specs look good.

ahh right so you can still store user settings then for different shooting conditions such as ISO 100, f11, A priority, BBF etc that I have set for landscape?

Similar thoughts here, with ISO performance being the concern guess will just have to wait until they are available.

Similar thoughts here, with ISO performance being the concern guess will just have to wait until they are available.
Can only see ISO being very slightly better than the D7200 tbh, which itself is pretty good tbh for a crop body.

ahh right so you can still store user settings then for different shooting conditions such as ISO 100, f11, A priority, BBF etc that I have set for landscape?

Yes but if you change bank b to your fave settings for example, then make changes in bank b the new settings are remembered not your original settings. i.e the settings last used are remembered not your faves.

Yes but if you change bank b to your fave settings for example, then make changes in bank b the new settings are remembered not your original settings. i.e the settings last used are remembered not your faves.
Ahh right, don't like the idea of that. WIth my U1/2 settings I do sometimes make adjustments on the fly but I'd always want it to default back to what I originally set, if it just stays at what was last used it's not much different to just using normal shooting mode.

Back