D500

On Nikon Rumours today they have an article about the D5 and that fact you can spec it with different Card reading slots, 2 x CF or 2 x XQD, and this module is replaceable at any Nikon service depot, not sure if this will filter down to the D500 though

http://nikonrumors.com/2016/01/10/t...on-d5-camera-xqd-or-cf-can-be-exchanged.aspx/
The choice of memory cards was announced with the original official announcement of the D5 and is either dual CF card or dual XQD card. However, the D500 is a dual slot but 1 XQD and 1 SD I believe and so can't see this being altered any time soon. If they were thinking about having different card options then I would have thought they would have announced it on release as they did with the D5.

I really like the performance of the XQD (D4), but I seldom ever shoot enough to actually benefit from it really.
I really like that I can just pop an SD card (V1/D810) into the slot on my MBP and avoid cables/network/etc.
I really like that all of my DSLR's can use the same CF cards.

I really dislike the qtty/variety of cards I have now...

I really like the performance of the XQD (D4), but I seldom ever shoot enough to actually benefit from it really.
I really like that I can just pop an SD card (V1/D810) into the slot on my MBP and avoid cables/network/etc.
I really like that all of my DSLR's can use the same CF cards.

I really dislike the qtty/variety of cards I have now...
I've only ever shot with SD, but it works well with my workflow being able to use the SD card slot on my MBP/iMac. Maybe they'll all start moving over to XQD and at some point I'll be forced to use adapters.

I'm not worrying too much about the price of XQD cards until closer the release, when tests have hopefully been done, and the effect of different cards and card speeds of FPS and Buffer size.

I will get at least 1 XQD card, but does it need to the new fastest card? And what size? Until I see the size of files out of the camera at various settings before I decide on anything. :)

The newer cameras (D4s and later) support the higher bus speed of the new cards... it makes no sense not to use them IMO.
Personally I think it's better to use multiple smaller cards as protection against loosing everything due to corruption/failure.

SD cards are convenient, but not up to professional handling IMO.

Lexar & Sony have introduced new XQD cards for the D5/D500 to get the quoted speeds ... will be interesting to see how price compares.

Last edited:
Jeeze, now I'm not so sure they're worth the money... since the lower rated versions are ≤ 1/2 the cost. And it seems the Cfast 2 spec CF cards are even a little faster and cheaper.

Oh, wait... Nikon isn't supporting Cfast with these models.

Last edited:
Buying the latest camera and then cheaping out on cards seems counter productive, at least to me. If I'm upgrading, I want everything to be faster, smoother or simply better, that includes workflow.

Buying the latest camera and then cheaping out on cards seems counter productive, at least to me. If I'm upgrading, I want everything to be faster, smoother or simply better, that includes workflow.
I guess it's something you just need to factor in with the cost of the camera.

Not what I read somewhere on the Nikon blurb, full spec speed needed newest cards.
However IMO only the insane would max a card out.

The buffer will allow the camera to do 10fps, it is the speed of the card which should determine how fast the buffer is cleared, and how long it can keep at that 10fps rate. Not everyone may need the 10fps for 200 images.

I posted this in the D5 thread earlier, which may be relevant to the D500, if it using the same electronics as the D500.

I read an article by Ole J Liodden about using the D5 to shoot 50,000 images. :eek: This site goes into a bit more detail about the D5 than anything I have read yet here. ISO performance seems very good, even using only Jpegs.

He talks of file sizes and use with a 95Mbs CF card.

"File size (NEF uncompressed) on the Nikon D5 camera is 42-45 MB and 10-14 MB for jpg-files (highest quality)."

"The buffer capacity is also very good. With an «old» Sandisk Extreme Pro 90 MB/s card I can shoot 63 NEF-files (RAW Large) continuously, and it takes 23 second for the camera to write all files to the CF card and be ready for a new «full burst». With Jpg (highest quality) I get 163 continuous images (12 images / second) before the buffer is full, then it takes 15 seconds to write everything to the CF-card, and the camera is ready for another 163 series of images. The writing speed should be even better with newer and faster CF or XQD cards."

As you can see, he got 63 uncompressed RAW files (I'm assuming 14bit, but don't know for sure) with a 90mb/s CF card, so hopefully a similar speed SD will give similar performance on the D500. That is just over 6 seconds at 10fps. That would do me until I can get a XQD card, at hopefully cheaper prices than what they are going for now. If you want cutting edge though, you can pay the price for it. ;)

I can't wait for some test results to start coming in. :)

Reactions: xmh
The buffer will allow the camera to do 10fps, it is the speed of the card which should determine how fast the buffer is cleared, and how long it can keep at that 10fps rate. Not everyone may need the 10fps for 200 images.

I posted this in the D5 thread earlier, which may be relevant to the D500, if it using the same electronics as the D500.

I read an article by Ole J Liodden about using the D5 to shoot 50,000 images. :eek: This site goes into a bit more detail about the D5 than anything I have read yet here. ISO performance seems very good, even using only Jpegs.

"File size (NEF uncompressed) on the Nikon D5 camera is 42-45 MB and 10-14 MB for jpg-files (highest quality)."

"The buffer capacity is also very good. With an «old» Sandisk Extreme Pro 90 MB/s card I can shoot 63 NEF-files (RAW Large) continuously, and it takes 23 second for the camera to write all files to the CF card and be ready for a new «full burst». With Jpg (highest quality) I get 163 continuous images (12 images / second) before the buffer is full, then it takes 15 seconds to write everything to the CF-card, and the camera is ready for another 163 series of images. The writing speed should be even better with newer and faster CF or XQD cards."

As you can see, he got 63 uncompressed RAW files (I'm assuming 14bit, but don't know for sure) with a 90mb/s CF card, so hopefully a similar speed SD will give similar performance on the D500. That is just over 6 seconds at 10fps. That would do me until I can get a XQD card, at hopefully cheaper prices than what they are going for now. If you want cutting edge though, you can pay the price for it. ;)

I did read that article, pretty good review. I rarely reach the buffer on any of my cameras and have always been willing to compromise if necessary, 12 bit, JPEG etc to keep going. I have been in moments where every second counts, 2 song limit in a concert for example and I've definitely been time pushed to get photos to the right person quickly. Right now I'm more interested in the wifi implementation for JPEG and the speed in which photos can be pushed out then the buffer capacity or card limit. Still, fast download to a computer to aid faster RAW workflow isn't to be sniffed at. A D5 isn't on my horizon or necessary as generally the competition isn't using the top body either.

Going to be interesting for sure.

150MB write speed... http://nikonrumors.com/2016/01/07/s...igned-for-the-nikon-d5-and-d500-cameras.aspx/

My original H series XQD's are 125MB (R/W).

I missed the bit at the end 1st time I read it which says "In addition to the new XQD-M series, Sony offers XQD-G series which is able to record up to 200 frames in continuous burst shooting with the latest high-speed cameras including models like Nikon’s D5."

Which means if you do want/need a 200 shot burst, you need a fast xqd card, as the XQD-G series are rated for 350MB's write.

"It turns out that both Nikon D500 and D5 have a brand new “Auto AF Fine Tune” feature, which after achieving focus in live view, automatically adjusts AF Fine Tune settings for the attached lens"

That's interesting.

"It turns out that both Nikon D500 and D5 have a brand new “Auto AF Fine Tune” feature, which after achieving focus in live view, automatically adjusts AF Fine Tune settings for the attached lens"

That's interesting.
Yes, it's been discussed during the thread, David. If it works accurately it'll be a great feature.

What I'm now really curious about is at what speed the SD Card makes a difference. I normally have my SD setup for Jpg and the cf as RAW but if using the fastest SD cards what do you get then....
I was planning on selling my D800E and getting a D4S but not now - the D7100 is going....

I missed the bit at the end 1st time I read it which says "In addition to the new XQD-M series, Sony offers XQD-G series which is able to record up to 200 frames in continuous burst shooting with the latest high-speed cameras including models like Nikon’s D5."

Which means if you do want/need a 200 shot burst, you need a fast xqd card, as the XQD-G series are rated for 350MB's write.
I missed that as well.
The D4s buffer increased by ~20 images when used w/ the G series VS the S series (180MB). So, it looks like there is something to it. I don't see a need for 200 images at a time; I can't really imagine it. But if you do a lot of events I imagine the read/download speed will have more value to you. I wonder if my Lexar HR1 would support it...

I missed that as well.
The D4s buffer increased by ~20 images when used w/ the G series VS the S series (180MB). So, it looks like there is something to it. I don't see a need for 200 images at a time; I can't really imagine it. But if you do a lot of events I imagine the read/download speed will have more value to you. I wonder if my Lexar HR1 would support it...
I must admit I actually found the D750 buffer limiting at the last running event I went to, but that's the first time and what do you get, 12 shots or something. 200 is serious overkill for me ;)

When I saw the announcement and spec I was so happy. But I promised myself that I am not going to buy a new camera this year and instead go on some trips. I spent way too much on gear last year.

But now I feel like I need this extra fps to guarantee I get the most of of the trips... I think I'll hang on and hope the grey market prices get closer to £1200..

When I saw the announcement and spec I was so happy. But I promised myself that I am not going to buy a new camera this year and instead go on some trips. I spent way too much on gear last year.

But now I feel like I need this extra fps to guarantee I get the most of of the trips... I think I'll hang on and hope the grey market prices get closer to £1200..
What do you shoot on trips that requires high fps?

Looking through our tax return, one month we spent £400 on two XQD 32gb cards. They're insanely good cards but the price is ridiculous. Plus, at that stage we had a mix of SD, CF and XQD cards across the two different body types we used. Now we have nothing but d750s and it's great having just one card type. And while SD cards aren't as robust or as fast as XQD, they're virtually a tenth of the price.

I must admit I actually found the D750 buffer limiting at the last running event I went to, but that's the first time and what do you get, 12 shots or something. 200 is serious overkill for me ;)

Yeah, I think I can get 15 to 20 before it starts clogging up. It's crap if you've come from a D4. The rest of the D750 specs (and price) make up for it for me. 200 would be overkill, but 40-50 would be useful.

(nice avatar btw:clap:)

Latest SD UHSII cards are reported to be very fast (250mb/s) but I have no personal experience of them.

Latest SD UHSII cards are reported to be very fast (250mb/s) but I have no personal experience of them.

Will be great in about a year or so when they've come down in price. Again, from looking at accounts, SD cards are virtually halving in price every year. If that's the general trend we should see 64gb 250mb/s cards for around £30 in a year or so.

I don't think the D750 can take advantage of the SD UHS II speeds, but the next gen surely will.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think I can get 15 to 20 before it starts clogging up. It's crap if you've come from a D4. The rest of the D750 specs (and price) make up for it for me. 200 would be overkill, but 40-50 would be useful.

(nice avatar btw:clap:)
Never had something that shoots more tbh so have nothing to compare it to, but as I said this was the first time I've found it limiting.

Lol, ditto ;) I just wish the team showed as much energy and enthusiasm as him.

Never had something that shoots more tbh so have nothing to compare it to, but as I said this was the first time I've found it limiting.

Lol, ditto ;) I just wish the team showed as much energy and enthusiasm as him.

His third season will be when it all clicks:)

Speaking of clicking, the buffer lets me down during some stuff at weddings, but not enough to detract from all the positives.

Back