D500

Yeah, I love that I can make slight changes to the U1/U2 settings but it always resets to the saved value. It's become integral to my shooting style now. My wife relies on them less so the D500 probably won't bother her.

I do like the touchsceen for swiping through images, but at the same time, I have the command dials configured to scroll through them which is lightning fast (shutter dial scrolls one image at a time, aperture dial skips through ten at a time).

Yeah, I love that I can make slight changes to the U1/U2 settings but it always resets to the saved value. It's become integral to my shooting style now. My wife relies on them less so the D500 probably won't bother her.

I do like the touchsceen for swiping through images, but at the same time, I have the command dials configured to scroll through them which is lightning fast (shutter dial scrolls one image at a time, aperture dial skips through ten at a time).
Yep, I find having the command dials like this very quick and easy to use.

Only had a quick look at the specs, but why couldn't we have had this 3 or 4 years ago!!!!

Looks great, and while it will drop in price, it will still be £1200 or so + in a a years time. Happily have my D750 and although I shoot aircraft, I can't see myself going back to DX. Yes, I know the D750 is 18months old or so, but would still choose that over a D500. Now, if we could have the D750 in that body...

Only had a quick look at the specs, but why couldn't we have had this 3 or 4 years ago!!!!

Looks great, and while it will drop in price, it will still be £1200 or so + in a a years time. Happily have my D750 and although I shoot aircraft, I can't see myself going back to DX. Yes, I know the D750 is 18months old or so, but would still choose that over a D500. Now, if we could have the D750 in that body...

I can't quite work out if Nikon not bringing this out sooner was a big mistake or a stroke of genius. Like many others it seems, when upgrading from D300 I switched to FX and have stayed there ever since and hence spent a fortune on lenses!

Not read it fully tbh, was skeptical when he said that high ISO was as good FF though.

Not read it fully tbh, was skeptical when he said that high ISO was as good FF though.
His website shows he normally uses D800's and the 2.8 trinity. I'm more interested in D4 and D750 comparisons. I'm might have missed it but he didn't actually state which lenses he used with the D500. Not really much help as a p/review then....

His website shows he normally uses D800's and the 2.8 trinity. I'm more interested in D4 and D750 comparisons. I'm might have missed it but he didn't actually state which lenses he used with the D500. Not really much help as a p/review then....
I'm even more skeptical now then ;)

I'm sure you mean D5? ;)

I'm even more skeptical now then ;)

I'm sure you mean D5? ;)
Nope, only interested in comparisons to current cameras, new flagship should be the best Nikon or why would anyone pay all that money:rolleyes:. Plus I had my tea leaves read and there is no D5 in my future, nor a full time professional career in photography.

Nope, only interested in comparisons to current cameras, new flagship should be the best Nikon or why would anyone pay all that money:rolleyes:. Plus I had my tea leaves read and there is no D5 in my future, nor a full time professional career in photography.
Ahh, I assume you mean D4 and D750 vs D500 then, not D4 vs D750 as there's loads of those around already? ;)

I'm not sure Nikon had the technology to do anything like this 3-4 years ago. And the Floods Earthquakes an Tsunami's affected their plans, and a 'D400' was a camera that lost out at the time.

I stayed with the D300S, and though it didn't look like it was ever going to happen, the D500 looks a very impressive to.

Can't wait for some tests to appear, and see what Panamoz et al can sell it for. :)

Ahh, I assume you mean D4 and D750 vs D500 then, not D4 vs D750 as there's loads of those around already? ;)
Bingo! Specifically I'm wondering how the D500 and 16-80 measures against a D750 with 24-120 or 24-70. In an average event situation with a flash, surely there can't be much difference in image quality. Maybe it's just me but I expect the D500 to be better :exit:

Cripes let me clarify, performance to be better! Not overall image quality. I think all the small improvements will add up to a completely different experience.

Last edited:

D810?

Bingo! Specifically I'm wondering how the D500 and 16-80 measures against a D750 with 24-120 or 24-70. In an average event situation with a flash, surely there can't be much difference in image quality. Maybe it's just me but I expect the D500 to be better :exit:

Cripes let me clarify, performance to be better! Not overall image quality. I think all the small improvements will add up to a completely different experience.
What did you expect to be better? :thinking: Just interested. :)
I don't think any crop sensor camera will match a similar vintage FF camera for ISO without a big reduction in pixels, and unless they did something amazing, this will not be a large enough reduction like the 16mp D4S

For a camera I had virtually given up on, this exceeds what I realistically imagined.
If it came I expected the D7200 24mp sensor, hopefully slightly improved :-: It is 20.9mp. If it gains a stop of ISO over the D7200 that would be good. Coming from 12mp it will be a huge increase anyway for me in everything. ;) :LOL:
Similar ISO to the D7200 100 - 25600 :-: It is 100 - 51200. Do the top/high ISO's give similar, better or worse performance? Time will tell.
Similar AF to the D750 which users have said is excellent with 51 focus points :-: Possibly ground breaking 153 focus points. Again time will tell whether this is an improvement, but I like the focus point spread across the frame.
I thought 8-10 fps (probably 8fps) for 3-4 seconds at whatever rate was the highest :-: 10fps for 200 shots (20 seconds) :eek:
I expected SD and CF card slots :-: SD and XQD slots bang goes my CF cards. :(
Maybe 4k video :-: It has 4k video, though it doesn't seem to be implemented well from initial reports. I don't use the video so makes no difference to me. I did hope for some high speed 1080 options for playing about with slow motion.

I didn't expect an articulating screen in this type of camera. And I didn't expect it to be a touch screen either.
I maybe expected GPS and WiFi. No GPS, though the Snapbridge option sounds interesting if you have a Smartphone/Tablet, in that it can GPS tag pictures via Bluetooth. I didn't expect the Bluetooth. The camera can also be controlled from the phone/tablet I think.
I hoped for the illuminated buttons, as I think it is a good useful idea, and thankfully they have implemented it. :)

Last edited:
I've never been in this position of anticipation before. ^_^ Do dealers (whether magnificent creatures like Grays, or the more routine, like Jessop's) tend to get demo units in any earlier than the broad release? I'm itching to see how the AF system really compares - rabbits are a special challenge, given they tend not to like being in the forefront, and have relatively mild contrast. If I can find the D500 to be an improvement over the D7100, I'll be very pleased indeed, let alone that fantastic minimum frame interval.

I'll hang back and see what it's like when it hits the shops, not keen on the lack of flash, it's a real pain if you have to carry one around.
ATM my photography is on hold waiting results of a scan so we'll see where it goes from there, but yep defo interested although I do like the
results I get from the D7100.

Anyone know whether the D500 will have the sensor filter back ?
Does any serious photographer use the onboard flash??

Does any serious photographer use the onboard flash??

Not often, but if I'm in the middle of nowhere, having walked a few miles, then just on the odd occasion it does come in handy
if you spot something in a dark place.
I don't always want the extra hassle of carrying a flash unit, spare batteries for it etc.

Given the specs it did make me briefly question whether I'd be willing to swap my D750 for it as I shoot sports quite a bit and a great Af system is always one of the first things I look for, and included in this is AF spread. The D500 wins hands down here (as you would expect with a crop body, although the AF spread on the D500 is insane) as to focus on the head of runners with the outer point in portrait the runner is smaller in the frame than I'd like so have to crop a bit. Also, the lack of cross type on the outer points of the D750 is a disappointment. So as you can tell, the D500 is tempting (once the price goes down). However, I'm really picky about noise, and my preference is for really shallow DOF/subject 'pop'. So whilst the D500 will be better in the AF front, the D750 isn't really shabby is it (we just get spoilt and picky ;)) and it has the benefit of DOF and noise (I don't believe the review I posted saying the D500 is as good in high ISO as FF ;)).

So to summarise I think that the D500 could very well be a better camera than the D750 overall and it will be interesting to see how far off high ISO performance is. Obviously DOF is personal preference and is one of the main (if not the main) differences between FF and Crop these days imo.

Most of the Nikon pop ups can be used in the Commander Mode to sequence a Nikon flash off-camera. It's a useful tool at times.
I use CLS a LOT. However, the D500 has radio transmission I believe which I think will work the same. Plus I think it will be better because in certain situations you do still get a bit of light from the pop up flash even though it's being used purely as a control (marked --) in the settings and I often have to cover it with something. Of course this means having to buy the new flash and transmitter too :rolleyes: That being said, I guess I could use the transmitter with the D750, although all reviews of the new SB5000 just mention using it with the D5/D500.

Last edited:
Most of the Nikon pop ups can be used in the Commander Mode to sequence a Nikon flash off-camera. It's a useful tool at times.
That's an entirely different thing. I'll be amazed if you can't do the same somehow with the D500.

That's an entirely different thing. I'll be amazed if you can't do the same somehow with the D500.

Well it's not entirely different it's just another function of the pop up flash, just like flash-bracketing for example.

Last edited:
Of course this means having to buy the new flash and transmitter too :rolleyes: That being said, I guess I could use the transmitter with the D750, although all reviews of the new SB5000 just mention using it with the D5/D500.
Why get tied up into a proprietary system? Especially at "proprietary prices"... Just get some third party RF TTL triggers/transceivers.

Sure, a used SB-800 (~$200), an SU-800 (~$250), or a WR-1 for RF (~$460). And don't forget the SB-5000 at ~$600 (being that it's RF I wonder if it will be IR CLS compatible).

Alternatively you could go with something like a YN-622N system with controller and 2 receivers for ~$150 and use any flash you like.

Last edited:
Why get tied up into a proprietary system? Especially at "proprietary prices"... Just get some third party RF TTL triggers/transceivers.
Well either way it means buying new gear, for me anyway ;)

So to summarise I think that the D500 could very well be a better camera than the D750 overall and it will be interesting to see how far off high ISO performance is. Obviously DOF is personal preference and is one of the main (if not the main) differences between FF and Crop these days imo.

Don't forget FPS is much better, also has an extra stop of speed, Bluetooth - I'm loving the specs of this D500

Don't forget FPS is much better, also has an extra stop of speed, Bluetooth - I'm loving the specs of this D500
One of the reasons I stated that the D500 may be a better camera overall :p

I see this camera as a new revolution in DX cameras.... It truly looks to be all you need - basically a cheaper D4S.... Can't wait to play with it...

I see this camera as a new revolution in DX cameras.... It truly looks to be all you need - basically a cheaper D4S.... Can't wait to play with it...
More of an evolution IMO, but yes a very capable camera indeed potentially.

I use CLS a LOT. However, the D500 has radio transmission I believe which I think will work the same. Plus I think it will be better because in certain situations you do still get a bit of light from the pop up flash even though it's being used purely as a control (marked --) in the settings and I often have to cover it with something. Of course this means having to buy the new flash and transmitter too :rolleyes: That being said, I guess I could use the transmitter with the D750, although all reviews of the new SB5000 just mention using it with the D5/D500.
The D500 and D5 and SB5000 radio flash system is a real kludge. It requires an attachment that plugs into the front of the new cameras (so not backward compatible), so it's expensive and very limiting, you're better of with a set of YN622n

I dare say when Joe McNally gets hold of it, it'll be the best thing since sliced bread, despite the fact radio control has been unnecessary for the last 10 years as the CLS system was so awesome. :D

The new SB5000 is excellent and has great potential, you can run up to 18 flashguns up to 30 meters away !

The only trouble with that is the cost, to do so would be £8,982 at the current price therefore to use the system at its full potential it's going to be cost-prohibitive for most people including me !

The new SB5000 is excellent and has great potential, you can run up to 18 flashguns up to 30 meters away !

The only trouble with that is the cost, to do so would be £8,982 at the current price therefore to use the system at its full potential it's going to be cost-prohibitive for most people including me !
Didn't realise the price, £500 per flashgun plus then you need the transmitter :eek: you could buy 2 SB700's with radio triggers for the price of one SB5000 so what would make you choose the SB5000?

Just checked out the price of XQD cards. A somewhat rude awakening having got used to cheap SD cards. Looks like along with waiting for the camera to drop in price I'll also be waiting for the memory cards to reach somewhere closer to reasonable. Ah what a relief, I can let go of that GAS that was threatening to build up.

MyMemory are selling 64GB x1400 XQD cards for £83

That's not a bad price but for 1-2 pairs it quickly adds up. On more remote trips without a full office in a backpack, you can't beat a few spare cards. I better go back and read the buffer restrictions using Sd cards.

Back