D500

We just picked up the Sigma 18-35 from Currys of all places, can't wait to get out and take some shots with it that aren't the dogs nose at 1.8 :D

Posted elsewhere on the forum, but sticking in here as it is the first time I have used the D500 in a few months :)

Loving this camera and the results I get from it. I can use the 500 F4 wide open - used to always stop it down with the D810 for excellent sharpness.

Zoom! by Dave Semmens, on Flickr
Dave how do you find the initial AF lock on with the D500 compared to the D810. I know the D500 tracks well but if you see something like this hare/rabbit and turn to it sharply, does the AF lock on instantly?

Dave how do you find the initial AF lock on with the D500 compared to the D810. I know the D500 tracks well but if you see something like this hare/rabbit and turn to it sharply, does the AF lock on instantly?

More or less yes mine does

The D500 locks straight on and sticks like glue. I managed to test the D810 and D500 side by side when I first got the D500. Same lens, tripod, subject and the D500 performed that well that I retired the D810 to landscapes there and then.

HTH :)

I should add - if I could only have one camera it would be the D500 - I am sure I could get good landscapes from it ;)

Yes I agree with you Dave.. The D500 is a brilliant all in one camera I am so glad I was able to come back to it as this camera is amazing me every day now..

The D500 locks straight on and sticks like glue. I managed to test the D810 and D500 side by side when I first got the D500. Same lens, tripod, subject and the D500 performed that well that I retired the D810 to landscapes there and then.

HTH :)
Thanks, useful info. Keep toying with the D500 to compliment my D750 for events to save having to swap lenses, and also gives me a choice of focal lengths effectively. Was going to hire one but by the time I've hired one a couple of times I'd be better off buying used/grey and selling. Thinking this would give me more options than two D750's. Decisions decisions ;)

Thanks, useful info. Keep toying with the D500 to compliment my D750 for events to save having to swap lenses, and also gives me a choice of focal lengths effectively. Was going to hire one but by the time I've hired one a couple of times I'd be better off buying used/grey and selling. Thinking this would give me more options than two D750's. Decisions decisions ;)

TBH Toby yes if you must have a 2nd body i would get a D500 to go with that D750 then you have the best of both... That what I think but again it up to you my friend..

I do love mine - I used the D810 for wildlife for 2+ years and had reasonable results with it - so the swap to the D500 was a big step for me. I tried D7100 and D7200 in that time as well but the D810 won out. I have not regretted it - but have not really used it much yet as I have been focusing on landscapes for most of the winter (wildlife takes a back seat in the winter for me)

Last edited:
TBH Toby yes if you must have a 2nd body i would get a D500 to go with that D750 then you have the best of both... That what I think but again it up to you my friend..
Well I love the D750 and would be happy with two, but then I keep thinking a crop gives me options. Ideally I could do with hiring one to compare how well the D500 crops compared to the D750. I did tests with the D7200 and the D750 cropped so much better it completely negated the extra perceived reach and so I didn't end up getting one. Also noise on the D7200 was an issue for me. Such a PITA that Nikon don't do a try before you buy scheme like Olympus do.

I do love mine - I used the D810 for wildlife for 2+ years and had reasonable results with it - so the swap to the D500 was a big step for me. I tried D7100 and D7200 in that time as well but the D810 won out. I have not regretted it - but have not really used it much yet as I have been focusing on landscapes for most of the winter (wildlife takes a back seat in the winter for me)

maybe start trying some landscape with it for a bit and see how you get on with it for landscape...

Well I love the D750 and would be happy with two, but then I keep thinking a crop gives me options. Ideally I could do with hiring one to compare how well the D500 crops compared to the D750. I did tests with the D7200 and the D750 cropped so much better it completely negated the extra perceived reach and so I didn't end up getting one. Also noise on the D7200 was an issue for me. Such a PITA that Nikon don't do a try before you buy scheme like Olympus do.

But it not just the crop on the D500 it also the laser fast AF and snap on like dave says too

Last edited:
Thanks, based on this what would you say to my last post?

But it not just the crop on the D500 it also the laser fast AF and snap on like david says too
Not really, AF's more than good enough on the D750 so as long as the D500 is as good as the D750 that's fine. It'd then come down to IQ and noise after cropping. I guess it depends on the extent of the croppping ;)

Not really, AF's more than good enough on the D750 so as long as the D500 is as good as the D750 that's fine. It'd then come down to IQ and noise after cropping. I guess it depends on the extent of the croppping ;)

Ok i just though you wanted somthing that snap on when you turn round and point as you were asking about it.. The d750 didn't snap on as quick as this D500 I've got I've said that before

I have both and the Auto Focus/Tracking on the D500 is much better than the (excellent) Auto Focus on my D750.

Thanks, based on this what would you say to my last post?
Noise will still be an issue if it was with the D7200 - it can be dealt with but the D500 is not going to match a full frame sensor.

I have no problem with it as I don't want to shoot wildlife in crap light - I want good light on the subject to add to the overall picture. I can take record shots at high iso - but these are for me and I won't be planning on using them publicly (unless a woodpecker starts riding a weasel around the field ;) )

As far as cropping - I am happy moving from the cropability of the D810 - so I would defo be more than happy moving from a 24mp camera.

While you fixate on specific things you will always hold back - the D500 has to be measured by the sum of all it brings to the table. If you want / need most of these features then it is a winner - it is not a full frame noise master though.

Noise will still be an issue if it was with the D7200 - it can be dealt with but the D500 is not going to match a full frame sensor.

I have no problem with it as I don't want to shoot wildlife in crap light - I want good light on the subject to add to the overall picture. I can take record shots at high iso - but these are for me and I won't be planning on using them publicly (unless a woodpecker starts riding a weasel around the field ;) )

As far as cropping - I am happy moving from the cropability of the D810 - so I would defo be more than happy moving from a 24mp camera.

While you fixate on specific things you will always hold back - the D500 has to be measured by the sum of all it brings to the table. If you want / need most of these features then it is a winner - it is not a full frame noise master though.
Thanks, once again useful. As I said just a shame you can't try these things out properly before parting with your hard earned cash.

Ok i just though you wanted somthing that snap on when you turn round and point as you were asking about it.. The d750 didn't snap on as quick as this D500 I've got I've said that before
I do, but as I said as long as it's as good as the D750 in this regards (which I've now gathered it is) then that's fine and I've moved on to other aspects of the camera (y)

I do, but as I said as long as it's as good as the D750 in this regards (which I've now gathered it is) then that's fine and I've moved on to other aspects of the camera (y)

It not as good. It better lol

Im still struggliing to get my head round the different AF modes.

I took this at the weekend and used single point to try and emphasise the right hand cartridge. I was stopped doen to F29 and had hoped for the writing to be in better focus.

What did I do wrong ? what would have been the better AF mode?

Numbers-2 by Mark P, on Flickr

I took this at the weekend and used single point to try and emphasise the right hand cartridge. I was stopped doen to F29 and had hoped for the writing to be in better focus.

Looks well in focus at the front, could it need a micro adjust?

Looks like it's front focussing as the cartridge at the front (bottom edge of the frame) is sharp. Also, Nikon do tend to front focus from my experience when focussing close up for some reason.

If you want accurate focusing in such a situation I would have used Live View, either using Auto Focus, or doing it manually via a zoomed in view on the point you wanted.

Also, f29 will not be the sharpest whatever as it will be prone to the effects of diffraction at such small apertures, Try it at f8 and see how sharp it is.

The new firmware update has just been released ... addresses the IOS connection problem, though I haven't tested it yet (no issues with the update).

Back