D500

The new firmware update has just been released ... addresses the IOS connection problem, though I haven't tested it yet (no issues with the update).

Don't think I do mine as never use the iOS app

The new firmware update has just been released ... addresses the IOS connection problem, though I haven't tested it yet (no issues with the update).

Just tried using the remote on it and transferred the pic straight to my phone. It seems good to me, connected perfectly (y)

Just tried using the remote on it and transferred the pic straight to my phone. It seems good to me, connected perfectly (y)
That's good to hear Stef, Snapbridge has been the source of much angst for most users :)

As some will know I've been contemplating getting a D500 to compliment my D750 and and today been looking at the AF spread again and I started to question when I would use the outer 2 rows of AF points. I thought the larger spread would be useful for say sports in portrait mode so that I could fill the frame more, but then the runner's head would be very close to the edge of the frame and I actually worked out for my ideal composition I would want to use the third row in. However, these are not cross type sensors and only line type so focus won't be as accurate/easy in tricky situations. Whilst it's a great feat from Nikon to get such a wide spread I can't help think they may have may have been better to make those that are more rules of thirds composition cross type instead of the edge ones. Has anyone found this, and in what situation would you use the extreme outer points?

Last edited:
surprised how battery hungry the d500 is.anyone else having the same?

Yes, it is by far the biggest battery hog of any camera I have used before.
I don't use wifi and have it permanently in airplane mode but it won't get anything like D810/D7200 battery cycle life.

Yes, it is by far the biggest battery hog of any camera I have used before.
I don't use wifi and have it permanently in airplane mode but it won't get anything like D810/D7200 battery cycle life.

When I bought my D750 the shop owner was talking about the D500 being battery hungry, you can apparently buy a Nilon larger amp/hr battery for it. It has been common knowledge for a while about the battery in a D500.

When I bought my D750 the shop owner was talking about the D500 being battery hungry, you can apparently buy a Nilon larger amp/hr battery for it. It has been common knowledge for a while about the battery in a D500.
Did they say why?

I get around 1100 images with my D500...

um-ok-meme-41547.jpg

I don't think you can get a larger capacity standard camera battery but by using a battery grip with a BL-5 and an EN-EL18a (I think) battery you can.

I'm using the grip with 8 eneloop aa's and the battery seems to to be lasting for ages, not sure the exact length but never given it any thought. The bonus also you can buy a lot of eneloop for the price of 1 Nikon battery.

I'm using the grip with 8 eneloop aa's and the battery seems to to be lasting for ages, not sure the exact length but never given it any thought. The bonus also you can buy a lot of eneloop for the price of 1 Nikon battery.
Yes that's another good option ... I think the lens used has an impact on battery life.

Did they say why?

We were talking batteries and he just mentioned D500 were a bit battery hungry and a few customers had had trouble with after market batteries such as hahnel etc and had to buy the more expensive Nikon batteries.

We were talking batteries and he just mentioned D500 were a bit battery hungry and a few customers had had trouble with after market batteries such as hahnel etc and had to buy the more expensive Nikon batteries.
It's only recently that after market batteries have been compatible so maybe he/she is referring to the original debacle of Li-ion 01 batteries being incompatible ... in my case I have only ever used the new Nikon batteries.

While talking batteries, I don't find the D750 brilliant, but I do review a lot of shots.
I get 1200+ from the D750, superb imo, and that's reviewing some shots too. Obviously if you use liveview it eats batteries though. Coming from mirrorless and Sony SLT where I'd struggle to get much more than 300 shots per battery the D750 is outstanding ;)

What size RAW are you guys using ? Im using the Medium currently.
Didn't realise you could get different sized RAW other than using 12 bit or 14 bit?

Edit just seen that the D500 has different RAW sizes. How does this work then, is it just reduced resolution, i.e. Not the full 20mp?

Last edited:
Didn't realise you could get different sized RAW other than using 12 bit or 14 bit?

Edit just seen that the D500 has different RAW sizes. How does this work then, is it just reduced resolution, i.e. Not the full 20mp?

Ive no idea, hence me asking! I did wonder if I losing anything.

Back