D500

Hve changed the setting to full fat RAW, so be interesting to see the difference.
You probably won't unless cropping heavily, or printing huge. (Obviously if viewing 1:1 the image with more MP will 'zoom in' more).

D500 resolution settings:

Small 2784 x 1856 = 5167104 (5.2Mp)
Medium 4176 x 2784 = 11625984 (11.6Mp)
Large 5568 x 3712 = 20668416 (20.7Mp)

Many years ago I had one person in a class who had their camera set to 640 x 420 on an 8Mp camera. :eek: Apparently the images were easy to send in emails. :LOL: Can't argue with that. ;) The camera saying that it could record 9999+ images on the 4Gb card drew my attention to it. :LOL:

I had another with an 18Mp Canon 650D set to 4.5Mp. :rolleyes:

when using the group af mode it is 4 af points in a diamond shape where do you put the eye of the animal or bird you are shooting ??
does it go anywhere in the middle of the diamond shape ? or does one of the focus points need to be over the eye
im not very sure how group af works
looking for some help with this one

I only use group for moving subjects - at that point I am trying to get as many of the points on the subject as possible.

If the subject lands, offers a more stable shot or I need more accuracy then I switch to single point (it is on another button - so I can switch between both very quickly)

From memory group uses the closest point of the 5, the 5th being in the middle and not showing in the viewfinder.

I think if the animal/bird is within frame and static enough to focus on the eye, I would be using single point not group. Not noticed myself about group using the closest but as Peter (and Steve Perrys lengthy reviews) group focuses on the closest object within the group. I do find that the ability to switch from group to single using the two back button focus buttons and the move of a thumb is plenty quick enough to change from one to another, and would cover scenario of an animal becoming slow or stationary enough to get eye focus.

Shifty by Frontline Fighters.com, on Flickr

surprised how battery hungry the d500 is.anyone else having the same?

Yes, it is by far the biggest battery hog of any camera I have used before.
I don't use wifi and have it permanently in airplane mode but it won't get anything like D810/D7200 battery cycle life.

You guys had me curious and I had a check of mine earlier.... I'm using the genuine batteries from the D500 & D810 and the reading this morning was 876 shots and 42% charge remaining. I thought it wasn't my head and the batteries are lasting as long as my other Nikon cameras. My camera is a later one, not sure if that would make any difference. Also, in airplane mode and no wifi.

You guys had me curious and I had a check of mine earlier.... I'm using the genuine batteries from the D500 & D810 and the reading this morning was 876 shots and 42% charge remaining. I thought it wasn't my head and the batteries are lasting as long as my other Nikon cameras. My camera is a later one, not sure if that would make any difference. Also, in airplane mode and no wifi.
What lens are you using it with Simon?

What lens are you using it with Simon?

Roughly 90% of the time Sigma 150-600mm and for the wide end I have been using the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 and 17-70mm and the odd use of 100mm Macro and 50mm 1.8g primes. I also review photos quite often at 100% as it's mostly home use as you know and I delete as I go along.

I don't know which battery is from the D810 (I didn't think to mark it) but I have been constantly been getting good life out of the batteries and with both showing as new.. I use my after market ones in the D810 and just use the genuine two in the D500.

I mentioned it, as IMO I'm getting as good from this camera as I have done with the D810 and the three D750's before it. I'll keep a closer eye on it now it's been mentioned.

Also, I don't have a grip if that could make any difference to yours?

Roughly 90% of the time Sigma 150-600mm and for the wide end I have been using the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 and 17-70mm and the odd use of 100mm Macro and 50mm 1.8g primes. I also review photos quite often at 100% as it's mostly home use as you know and I delete as I go along.

I don't know which battery is from the D810 (I didn't think to mark it) but I have been constantly been getting good life out of the batteries and with both showing as new.. I use my after market ones in the D810 and just use the genuine two in the D500.

I mentioned it, as IMO I'm getting as good from this camera as I have done with the D810 and the three D750's before it. I'll keep a closer eye on it now it's been mentioned.

Also, I don't have a grip if that could make any difference to yours?

Interesting ... I only bought the grip to have extra battery life available.
Last use saw 400 shots leaving me with 42% capacity in the grip battery, that's with swapping between the 500 f4 and 300 f4 PF ... I probably overuse the BBF whilst waiting for the right moment/shot though. :rolleyes:

Interesting ... I only bought the grip to have extra battery life available.
Last use saw 400 shots leaving me with 42% capacity in the grip battery, that's with swapping between the 500 f4 and 300 f4 PF ... I probably overuse the BBF whilst waiting for the right moment/shot though. :rolleyes:

Evening Roger,

I only use BBF and as mentioned, I review a lot and delete as I go. So seems strange with you only getting that many shots/battery life.

Here's a snap of my battery info, at a rough count I will get about 1350 shots from this charge.

D500 battery count. by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

I have just checked my camera with my 300mm pf and Reikan is coming up with -14!

Might get some better pics now... not been that happy with any bird shots with this D500/300mm combo so far

Might re-test tomorrow to double check :)

I have just checked my camera with my 300mm pf and Reikan is coming up with -14!

Might get some better pics now... not been that happy with any bird shots with this D500/300mm combo so far

Might re-test tomorrow to double check :)
Not great that manufacturers can get away with such large tolerances, especially on high end gear. My 70-200mm f2.8 needed +16 on my first D750 IIRC. On my second D750 it doesn't need any though.

Not great that manufacturers can get away with such large tolerances, especially on high end gear. My 70-200mm f2.8 needed +16 on my first D750 IIRC. On my second D750 it doesn't need any though.

Not when you think it's nearly 2 months wages for me just for the lens... you kinda expect a bit better eh?

I'm hoping for better results now tho after shelling out another £70 for doing what should already be standard [emoji4]

Evening Roger,

I only use BBF and as mentioned, I review a lot and delete as I go. So seems strange with you only getting that many shots/battery life.

Here's a snap of my battery info, at a rough count I will get about 1350 shots from this charge.

D500 battery count. by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

With my D750, I have taken just under 700 images in a month since new, and changed batteries three times. I have been experimenting with long exposures, flash photography, live view, you name it etc, reviewing shots after taking, so really and truthfully think it's doing OK.

Tested on a tripod with the suggested -14 and with 0 and the minus 14 is worse if anything. I'm at a complete loss with it.

The astigmatism % says it's higher than average and the lens elements may be misaligned [emoji53]

Tested on another D500 body and results are coming back the same (-14 and the misaligned message)

Ive also put this in the thread on FoCal software too but just thought you brains in here might know anything if you don't read that thread.

Is it worth just sending it off under warranty to get checked?

Tested on a tripod with the suggested -14 and with 0 and the minus 14 is worse if anything. I'm at a complete loss with it.

The astigmatism % says it's higher than average and the lens elements may be misaligned [emoji53]

Tested on another D500 body and results are coming back the same (-14 and the misaligned message)

Ive also put this in the thread on FoCal software too but just thought you brains in here might know anything if you don't read that thread.

If you have done several checks with Focal AND tried it with a different body, getting the same results then I would send it off ... especially as 'out of the box' you weren't happy with the image quality.

Missed this thread the last few days.

Regarding the battery issue, the D500 is battery hungry. I normally use a fully charged one in the camera (to use in case the grip one runs out, which it doesn't) and a fully charged one in the grip. Shooting a football match, roughly between 500-700 shots and there isn't a lot of battery left.

I'll do a little test on it this Saturday afternoon at the next game (y)

It does eat batteries a lot faster though than my old D600 and D810.

If you're not happy with it then definitely get it checked, and also mention the focal tests. That being said my experience with Nikon and their ability to address focussing issues was poor to say the least. I've tried different software programs, DOT tune etc but the most reliable for me is still spyderlenscal and then double checking in the real world.

Had a play today on the D500 at the Photography Show. I knew I shouldn't have, fatal mistake. My D810 is now up for sale!!! On a side note, you'd have thought Nikon would have put better lenses on than 18-300 or whatever crap it was at the show today. Looking forward to getting a D500 now.

Had a play today on the D500 at the Photography Show. I knew I shouldn't have, fatal mistake. My D810 is now up for sale!!! On a side note, you'd have thought Nikon would have put better lenses on than 18-300 or whatever crap it was at the show today. Looking forward to getting a D500 now.
It had the 16-80mm f2.8-4 when I tried it which is the 'higher end' kit zoom. What is it you prefer over the D810, other than the obvious frame rate?

Not really, AF's more than good enough on the D750 so as long as the D500 is as good as the D750 that's fine. It'd then come down to IQ and noise after cropping. I guess it depends on the extent of the croppping ;)

Go buy one and do the tests.... I want to see the results lol

Go buy one and do the tests.... I want to see the results lol

Be good hear what he thinks as we all know how bloody picky he is lol

I'll do my best but not sure how I'll get a side by side comparison as I'm sure my wife will not be willing to run around the garden whilst I test the various settings :LOL:

Couple of questions re the D500, is the XQD slot just XQD or can you use SD cards in this slot as well? If you can use SD cards does it affect the frame rate or just the number of shots you can take at 10fps before it slows? If it's the latter, roughly how many shots will it take in a ROW at 10fps assuming RAW ins slot one at full resolution and 14bit, and jpeg fine in the second slot?

Xqd slot is for Xqd cards only. They are pretty expensive, but they download into LR faster than SD.
I've never needed to fire at 10fps until the buffer is full. The birds around here fly too fast. You soon fill your card doing this.
I always have a card in each slot so I've not tried Sd only.

AF on D500 is better than 750. More accurate. My 750 has been back to Nikon UK twice for AF issues and they say it is within spec.

Xqd slot is for Xqd cards only. They are pretty expensive, but they download into LR faster than SD.
I've never needed to fire at 10fps until the buffer is full. The birds around here fly too fast. You soon fill your card doing this.
I always have a card in each slot so I've not tried Sd only.

AF on D500 is better than 750. More accurate. My 750 has been back to Nikon UK twice for AF issues and they say it is within spec.
Thanks, for some reason I thought the XQD slots were both, dunno why :LOL: Will be interesting to try out the AF. TBH I don't have an issue with the D750, for sports and wildlife I probably get a 98-99% hit rate, although I don't do BIF which is the ultimate test ;)

Thanks, for some reason I thought the XQD slots were both, dunno why :LOL: Will be interesting to try out the AF. TBH I don't have an issue with the D750, for sports and wildlife I probably get a 98-99% hit rate, although I don't do BIF which is the ultimate test ;)

I honestlty dont think any camera will be hitting 100%, but I guess with the D500 and 10fps you might get 98-99% of 10 rather than 6.5 lol

Xqd card is similar size to a cf card. It's a bigger slot than Sd.
Can you mix and match cards? I see the lexar XQD's get a lot of love, but then all my SD cards are Sandisk. Can you use different makes in the different slots?

Can you mix and match cards? I see the lexar XQD's get a lot of love, but then all my SD cards are Sandisk. Can you use different makes in the different slots?

You can mix and match - when I tested I had Lexar in XQD and my Sandisk in SD.

Back