D500

No, you'll enjoy watching it yourself.... :p
Ok so I've watched it, and that's what I was saying. Folk say that because you get more MP using a DX body than a circa 24mp FX body in DX mode then the DX body will give better IQ in this scenario. However, when I tested with the D7200 I found that whilst at 1:1 the image was more 'zoomed in' than on the D750 the actual IQ wasn't as good and I got better results cropping the D750 heavily vs the D7200 cropped not so much. However, with the D500 my initial tests show the opposite despite the D500 having less MP than the D7200. Proves to me (which I kinda knew anyway) that MP aren't the overall determining factor in IQ (y)

That's convinced me to buy a d500, 400mm 2.8 and a 1.4tc I'm getting on Amazon now
The fact that the 400mm can resolve 33mp of the D810's 36mp is pretty impressive to say the least :eek:

Ok so I've watched it, and that's what I was saying. Folk say that because you get more MP using a DX body than a circa 24mp FX body in DX mode then the DX body will give better IQ in this scenario. However, when I tested with the D7200 I found that whilst at 1:1 the image was more 'zoomed in' than on the D750 the actual IQ wasn't as good and I got better results cropping the D750 heavily vs the D7200 cropped not so much. However, with the D500 my initial tests show the opposite despite the D500 having less MP than the D7200. Proves to me (which I kinda knew anyway) that MP aren't the overall determining factor in IQ (y)
You and Tony Northrup would get along just great. I can just feel it. (y)

The fact that the 400mm can resolve 33mp of the D810's 36mp is pretty impressive to say the least :eek:
And it can resolve the full 24mp of the D750 :eek:

Doesn't do so well with DX bodies though, 'only' 15mp on the D500 and 17mp on the D7100.

Huh? :eek: That's not what Tony said at all! DXO mark results shows that you are getting substantially LESS PMP from the full frame cropped than from the crop body. The lapels on your lab coat must have been obscuring your vision in your tests...

Huh? :eek: That's not what Tony said at all! DXO mark results shows that you are getting substantially LESS PMP from the full frame cropped than from the crop body. The lapels on your lab coat must have been obscuring your vision in your tests...

Err, that's what I said. I think you may need to re-read what I wrote :p

And it can resolve the full 24mp of the D750 :eek:

Doesn't do so well with DX bodies though, 'only' 15mp on the D500 and 17mp on the D7100.
It's due to the size of the dots it projects relative to the size of pixels recording them... you will note that DXO's resolution/sharpness measurements are almost always best when the lens is wide open (or nearly). You'll get less recorded resolution when stopped down (but probably still plenty enough).

Your findings were that your d750 heavily cropped still had better IQ than the cropped camera... Tony and dxo mark says that is not the case.

Your findings were that your d750 heavily cropped still had better IQ than the cropped camera... Tony and dxo mark says that is not the case.
Some of what Snerkler found w/ the D750/7200 comparison might be technique... the 24mp APS sensor is incredibly demanding. And DXO is measuring a standardized output size.

Last edited:
DXO shows that you get more MP resolution not that you get better IQ ;)

I don't know the reason but if I cropped the D750 to 1:1 and then the D7200 to match the 1:1 of the D750, the D750 image still looked better to my eyes even though the crop of the D7200 would have had more MP.

As I said, the opposite was true of the D500, the cropped image looked better than the D750 at 1:1. I'm assuming this is down to newer tech and/or lack of AA filter.

Some of what Snerkler found w/ the D750/7200 comparison might be technique... the 24mp APS sensor is incredibly demanding. And DXO is measuring a standardized output size.
Could always be user error to be fair, although when I've been doing these tests it's been using a tripod and focussing using liveview. I should be seeing my mate with the D7200 again soon, might run the tests again out of curiosity :LOL:

Could always be user error to be fair, although when I've been doing these tests it's been using a tripod and focussing using liveview. I should be seeing my mate with the D7200 again soon, might run the tests again out of curiosity :LOL:
In your comparisons, if you had compared same size output as opposed to 1:1 the D7200 would have fared better. But that also goes to part of my issue w/ "equivalence"... I don't use different cameras to do "the same thing," I use them because they (hopefully) allow me to do something I otherwise couldn't as well.

In your comparisons, if you had compared same size output as opposed to 1:1 the D7200 would have fared better. But that also goes to part of my issue w/ "equivalence"... I don't use different cameras to do "the same thing," I use them because they (hopefully) allow me to do something I otherwise couldn't as well.
I'm not sure what you mean by same size output? By having the D750 at 1:1 but the D7200 not cropped as much and having a highe MP count this should've worked in the D7200's favour?

But I wasn't testing equivalence, I was just seeing what the final image was like to see if the D7200 gave me any perceived reach advantage over my D750 but I decided that I preferred just to crop my D750 more heavily.

I'm not sure what you mean by same size output? By having the D750 at 1:1 but the D7200 not cropped as much and having a highe MP count this should've worked in the D7200's favour?

But I wasn't testing equivalence, I was just seeing what the final image was like to see if the D7200 gave me any perceived reach advantage over my D750 but I decided that I preferred just to crop my D750 more heavily.
If you output the uncropped D7200 image at the same size as the cropped D750 image, then the D7200 gets an advantage. Or, conversely if you were to enlarge the cropped D750 image to the size of the uncropped D7200 image. It's kind of like perceived sharpness and DOF...

If you output the uncropped D7200 image at the same size as the cropped D750 image, then the D7200 gets an advantage. Or, conversely if you were to enlarge the cropped D750 image to the size of the uncropped D7200 image. It's kind of like perceived sharpness and DOF...
I did that but the D750 still looked better to my eyes. There was a touch more detail in the D7200 shot but the actual quality/rendering wasn't as nice. I don't know how best to explain it tbh. It's like an iphone pic, at normal viewing in looks OK, start to zoom in even a little bit and it starts to look dodgy ;)

He wants a couple of pictures not a Darwin award [emoji3] [emoji3]

He must be on first name terms, they can just let him in to play with the puddy cats!

Richard Attenborough style!

Last edited:
Back