D500

Have been following this thread for a while so thought it was about time that I joined in!

With the talk recently around focussing modes, the following images were taken in full Auto!

DSC_7000.jpg DSC_7032.jpg DSC_7164.jpg

All taken with 400mm f2.8 VR, TC-20e iii 2x converter, approx 90-100 metre distance, cropped to only 2 thirds of the frame!

ISOs 2000 & 3200, F8, 1/1600s.

Have been following this thread for a while so thought it was about time that I joined in!

With the talk recently around focussing modes, the following images were taken in full Auto!

View attachment 98684 View attachment 98685 View attachment 98686

All taken with 400mm f2.8 VR, TC-20e iii 2x converter, approx 90-100 metre distance, cropped to only 2 thirds of the frame!

ISOs 2000 & 3200, F8, 1/1600s.
Where does the camera say focus was? The first appears to be off a bit (on trees), the other two look to be better. But it would not surprise me if it says focus was on the heron in all 3.

Where does the camera say focus was? The first appears to be off a bit (on trees), the other two look to be better. But it would not surprise me if it says focus was on the heron in all 3.

Using Aperture, so unfortunately it doesn't give the focus point, all look fine in original files, any issues are probably down to technique given the distance etc.!

Using Aperture, so unfortunately it doesn't give the focus point, all look fine in original files, any issues are probably down to technique given the distance etc.!
If still on the card you can see the active focus point(s) on the camera screen during image review (have to enable "show focus points").

Or get a plugin for LR that shows focus point

If still on the card you can see the active focus point(s) on the camera screen during image review (have to enable "show focus points").

Not still on card unfortunately, I do find though that quite often the point bears no resemblance to whats in focus at all but Auto does seem to work very well for flying herons at least!

Not still on card unfortunately, I do find though that quite often the point bears no resemblance to whats in focus at all but Auto does seem to work very well for flying herons at least!

Particularly true of the 51pt system IME. With fast subjects/situations it often reports what point was "last in focus" if it hasn't had time to register no-focus or a new focus point.

Auto and 3D still report the used focus point... at least on my D5. What's not correctly reporting/displaying is the d9-d153 modes.

Understand that point, the issue is Aperture, it was discontinued after the D500 came out so not all features are supported, the D810 was out when Aperture was still getting updates.

Really am dragging my heels on the switch to Lightroom as I really don't like it!

Understand that point, the issue is Aperture, it was discontinued after the D500 came out so not all features are supported, the D810 was out when Aperture was still getting updates.

Really am dragging my heels on the switch to Lightroom as I really don't like it!
I was like you with regards to lightroom, but now I'm a full convert and prefer LR to Aperture. There's still a couple of things you can do on aperture that you can't on LR that I prefer, but you can do these with PS which I use now I've subscribed to Adobe CC.

I was like you with regards to lightroom, but now I'm a full convert and prefer LR to Aperture. There's still a couple of things you can do on aperture that you can't on LR that I prefer, but you can do these with PS which I use now I've subscribed to Adobe CC.

Have been a subscriber to CC for over 2 years and mainly use it to print from Photoshop using the Canon plug in for the iPF 6450 printer.

Think the main problem is the time investment required! ;)

Has the lab coat come out yet @snerkler
Not properly, just had a quick play. Can't say in AF-S I'm noticing any quicker AF with either my 24-120mm or 70-200mm tbh, but I guess it's in AF-C where it excels. Finding FOV weird at the mo lol. I like the control dials, crisper than the D750, but don't like the confirmation beep as much (it's the little things ;)). Will go through all the settings tonight and hopefully give it a full testing later this week.

Or look at Macphun softwares

Not properly, just had a quick play. Can't say in AF-S I'm noticing any quicker AF with either my 24-120mm or 70-200mm tbh, but I guess it's in AF-C where it excels. Finding FOV weird at the mo lol. I like the control dials, crisper than the D750, but don't like the confirmation beep as much (it's the little things ;)). Will go through all the settings tonight and hopefully give it a full testing later this week.
one can almost here all the Lab machinery starting to rev up at the thought ;)

Have you looked at Affinity Pro

Got it but it's more comparable to Photoshop than Lightroom / Aperture and I prefer working in a DAM software, especially shooting wildlife at 10fps!

Good rate for 16-80 split from kit?

So initial testing IQ is quite impressive. Tested with the 70-200mm f2.8 VRII at ISO 100 f4, shutter 1/3200 and compared with the D750 with the tripod in the same location, tripod same location with D750 in DX mode, and with the tripod moved closer with the D750 to try and match the original DX framing. Subject was a heavily embroidered Rossi cap. AF was performed using live view so there were no focus inaccuracies.

With the tripod in the same location, D750 zoomed to 1:1 and D500 zoomed to match the D750 at 1:1 the D500 is sharper IMO. If I then zoom the D500 to 1:1 I still think it's sharper, but that might just be perception as the subject appears closer. With the D750 moved closer to match the DX frame (although in reviewing I didn't quite move it close enough) I'm struggling to see any difference in IQ at 1:1 (just so happens that because I hadn't moved the camera close enough, at 1:1 'zoom'/magnification is pretty close), the stitching looks to have the same level in detail in both. It would seem that the lack of AA filter on the D500 makes up for the sensor size.

It was far from my most scientific test as it was done over lunch, but it was close enough for me to realise that the IQ of the 2 is very very close. Obviously as ISO ramps up I would imagine there'll be more of a difference. Also, in terms of overall reach I've discovered that 20mp on a crop doesn't offer as much more reach over a 24mp FF as I was expecting. Will be interesting to see how much difference this 'extra reach' gives me in the real world though.

tumblr_nwjfq8Qgan1sebccso1_500.gif

;)

Sounds like you had fun, Toby!

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you did, but won't the 750 in dx mode have a far lower number of mp than than the 500 in its standard mode?

Persoanlly I think IQ will be fine. it will be noise levels in low light where you will see the difference.

So initial testing IQ is quite impressive. Tested with the 70-200mm f2.8 VRII at ISO 100 f4, shutter 1/3200 and compared with the D750 with the tripod in the same location, tripod same location with D750 in DX mode, and with the tripod moved closer with the D750 to try and match the original DX framing. Subject was a heavily embroidered Rossi cap. AF was performed using live view so there were no focus inaccuracies.

With the tripod in the same location, D750 zoomed to 1:1 and D500 zoomed to match the D750 at 1:1 the D500 is sharper IMO. If I then zoom the D500 to 1:1 I still think it's sharper, but that might just be perception as the subject appears closer. With the D750 moved closer to match the DX frame (although in reviewing I didn't quite move it close enough) I'm struggling to see any difference in IQ at 1:1 (just so happens that because I hadn't moved the camera close enough, at 1:1 'zoom'/magnification is pretty close), the stitching looks to have the same level in detail in both. It would seem that the lack of AA filter on the D500 makes up for the sensor size.

It was far from my most scientific test as it was done over lunch, but it was close enough for me to realise that the IQ of the 2 is very very close. Obviously as ISO ramps up I would imagine there'll be more of a difference. Also, in terms of overall reach I've discovered that 20mp on a crop doesn't offer as much more reach over a 24mp FF as I was expecting. Will be interesting to see how much difference this 'extra reach' gives me in the real world though.

I don't know what all the fuss is about, I understand that perfectly ... well, except perhaps what's a 'Rossi' cap? :thinking:

:LOL:

I see Minnnt has changed his avatar picture, if he had just taken a few more steps backwards it could have been a much more interesting photo!!

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you did, but won't the 750 in dx mode have a far lower number of mp than than the 500 in its standard mode?

Persoanlly I think IQ will be fine. it will be noise levels in low light where you will see the difference.
There's been much debate as to whether you can crop FX bodies to give the same reach as DX and still give the same level of IQ despite the extra MP difference. It was certainly the case when I tested the D750 vs the D7200, the D750 cropped better and gave better results imo hence why I didn't buy the D7200 ;)

Think you need stop looking for faults and enjoy the camera [emoji106] I've learnt that now

It's called 'justifying your purchase by cheating' :D
Lol, not trying to justify anything :p The D500 is a nice backup body for the few events I'm doing this year :D

Think you need stop looking for faults and enjoy the camera [emoji106] I've learnt that now
I'm not looking for faults, just learning what each has to offer (y)

There's been much debate as to whether you can crop FX bodies to give the same reach as DX and still give the same level of IQ despite the extra MP difference. It was certainly the case when I tested the D750 vs the D7200, the D750 cropped better and gave better results imo hence why I didn't buy the D7200 ;)
Most of the differences will only be apparent when you use the images differently (i.e. print/display the D500 images larger), and most of the differences will be dependent on technique (aperture/SS/etc) with the D500 being more demanding.

Back