D500

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear, bloody Picolax;):(.........It's the head which has made a big difference IMO as it's two way and has panning. I mentioned the big foot as I find them a bit more stable than the normal foot and I had it on my Benro pod which I lost, so wanted the same again. The Gitzo you can un-lock as one turn and they are very small turns to release/lock so seem quicker to operate compared to my old one.

http://www.gitzo.co.uk/product/0/GM2542/_/Monopod_Series_2_Carbon_4_sections

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1182201-REG/sirui_bsrl20s_l_20s_2_way_pan_tilt_head.html
Lol, I thought when it was two way it'd tilt forwards and backwards and side to side but it looks as though it just tilts forwards and backwards?

I would get the Sirui L-10 and save 25%... I don't find the panning function to be a benefit on a monopod. And the smaller panning mechanisms do not tend to lock particularly firmly... it becomes a problem when you want to tilt the head but the lens isn't aligned because it twisted/turned.
I guess it's a benefit when using a foot on the monopod so can't swivel the pod itself.

Number of points, how tightly they had to be spaced, and where they are focused. The f/8 focus points are a bit more centrally located/oriented on the D750...
Yes but all points work on the D750 at all focal lengths not just the f8 ones. Even though the cluster is more central on the D750 the outer edge ones are still wider/further to the edge than the f8 ones on the D500.

Lol, I thought when it was two way it'd tilt forwards and backwards and side to side but it looks as though it just tilts forwards and backwards?

I guess it's a benefit when using a foot on the monopod so can't swivel the pod itself.
The monopod can still swivel giving you "pan/tilt" capability... I also like the big-foot (or a snow shoe) as it tends to "float" better on softer surfaces.

Correct, back and forth so you don't get the flopiness of a ballhead and the panning base helps to give you 360 panning if needed. ideal when sitting down and watching wildlife at a lake etc.....or standing in a tight space photographing marathon runners;)

The monopod can still swivel giving you "pan/tilt" capability... I also like the big-foot (or a snow shoe) as it tends to "float" better on softer surfaces.
Helps if I looked at the right thing :LOL: I need to see if you can buy those feet for existing monopods (y)

I would get the Sirui L-10 and save 25%... I don't find the panning function to be a benefit on a monopod. And the smaller panning mechanisms do not tend to lock particularly firmly... it becomes a problem when you want to tilt the head but the lens isn't aligned because it twisted/turned.

I find it works for me when sitting down, which is most of my shooting and when I lock the panning base it doesn't move, even with force on my L20s... I just tried it and the head would come of the pod before mine moves.

Yes but all points work on the D750 at all focal lengths not just the f8 ones. Even though the cluster is more central on the D750 the outer edge ones are still wider/further to the edge than the f8 ones on the D500.
This is a little harder to understand... the position of the point w/in the FOV is not directly related to the portion of the objective element it is taken from.

Starting at the beginning: Each point/area of the objective element creates a complete image. That's how aperture affects exposure... it is in fact "stacking" images/exposures on the sensor. But the AF sensors are not looking at complete images taken from separate portions of the images from those smaller areas of the objective lens... they are instead looking at/comparing that portion/point w/in those images. I.e. their position as seen in the overall FOV/viewfinder reflects their position w/in the FOV of the image taken from that smaller portion of the objective lens. The overall FOV never changes (for a given FL), although the exposure may vignette at wide apertures as the edge portions of the objective element are included (which make the barrel of the lens visible in the overall image).

This is a little harder to understand... the position of the point w/in the FOV is not directly related to the portion of the objective element it is taken from.

Starting at the beginning: Each point/area of the objective element creates a complete image. That's how aperture affects exposure... it is in fact "stacking" images/exposures on the sensor. But the AF sensors are not looking at complete images taken from separate portions of the images from those smaller areas of the objective lens... they are instead looking at/comparing that portion/point w/in those images. I.e. their position as seen in the overall FOV/viewfinder reflects their position w/in the FOV of the image taken from that smaller portion of the objective lens. The overall FOV never changes (for a given FL), although the exposure may vignette at wide apertures as the edge portions of the objective element are included (which make the barrel of the lens visible in the overall image).
My head hurts lol. In simple terms are you saying that there's more light hitting the edges of the AF sensor of the D750 compared to the D500 and therefore would expect the D750 to work beyond the D500 in the scenario that I'm referring to?

I find it works for me when sitting down, which is most of my shooting and when I lock the panning base it doesn't move, even with force on my L20s... I just tried it and the head would come of the pod before mine moves.
The L-20's bottom panning may be better built/designed than the one I tried which had a panning clamp... Thinking about it, the bottom panning would prevent the misalignment issue I noted with the top panning variety.
Still, because panning with a monopod really involves you rotating around the monopod, it's just as easy to let it "twist" on the ground as opposed to paying for additional complexities (IMO).

You can... most monopods use standard "tripod foot" threads. But there is a bit of variability so you will want to confirm you get the right one.
Just been looking. I can't see any like the big foot that come as a separate entity, but have found one's with three feet that also allow tilt at the base. Not cheap though (unless you want to go a for a cheap looking none-brand one). Might just be cheaper to buy another monopod, such as one of these (264 or 264TR)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vanguard-V...1490883703&sr=8-37&keywords=monopod+foot&th=1

My head hurts lol. In simple terms are you saying that there's more light hitting the edges of the AF sensor of the D750 compared to the D500 and therefore would expect the D750 to work beyond the D500 in the scenario that I'm referring to?
I can't say exactly what the differences are as I haven't seen/compared those two modules/systems directly. What I suspect is happening is that the larger spacing/points of the D750 are looking at larger portions of the objective element/images at any given aperture... Not exactly more light per se, but probably more information/more complete images.

Imagine the size of image (and focus point locations) you see in the viewfinder lined up as multiple images (w/ focus points) in a grid covering the objective element... the wide aperture focus points only exist in the images nearer to the periphery, and the small aperture points only exist in the images near the center. As those images "stack" you get more focus points combined. That's essentially how it works.

Last edited:
Just been looking. I can't see any like the big foot that come as a separate entity, but have found one's with three feet that also allow tilt at the base. Not cheap though (unless you want to go a for a cheap looking none-brand one). Might just be cheaper to buy another monopod, such as one of these (264 or 264TR)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vanguard-VEO-AM-295-Aluminium-Monopod/dp/B00YD85CVC/ref=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&qid=1490883703&sr=8-37&keywords=monopod+foot&th=1
Nope, not cheap... about $30 ea for gitzo "big foot."
For outdoor use you might want to try something like these DIY's I posted (plus they can be easily removed/stored when not needed).

http://photographic-academy.com/tips-and-tricks/99-tips-and-tricks/156-tripod-muck-shoes

Or do you mean "captive animals"? :D

You know what I did with my Tamron 150-600mm, to solve the problems?

Sold it last week! :)
I do shoot the occasional wild animal :LOL:

Did you have issues with the D500 as well then? I just hope that it is a lens/camera combo issue and not a fault with my D500 in that the AF points aren't as sensitive as they're supposed to be :eek:

I do shoot the occasional wild animal :LOL:

Did you have issues with the D500 as well then? I just hope that it is a lens/camera combo issue and not a fault with my D500 in that the AF points aren't as sensitive as they're supposed to be :eek:

Mine just wasn't sharp between 500-600mm unless it was at F9 or 10 and I didn't really want a lens that I'd only use at 500mm as I get much better IQ from my 300mm PF + 1.7 tc which had me at 500mm anyway. So I got rid of it in the end as had problems with it on my D810 too but that's another story! :)

Mine just wasn't sharp between 500-600mm unless it was at F9 or 10 and I didn't really want a lens that I'd only use at 500mm as I get much better IQ from my 300mm PF + 1.7 tc which had me at 500mm anyway. So I got rid of it in the end as had problems with it on my D810 too but that's another story! :)
Mine's good up to 550mm. I just wish I had another D500 to test with it to make sure it's not a camera fault. Did you try it with the D500 and did you try all AF or did you just use centre focus?

Picked up the D500 today. Very, very happy. So was the other chap with the D810. I went to the local skate park (Victoria Park) just to give the D500 a quick blast. The photos below have had very little done to them. I just wanted to say really that the D500 nailed over 95% of my shots in focus (CL mode). I'll have a proper look at ratios later. FYI, the two lenses I tried were the Tamron 85mm SP VC and the Tamron 70-200mm SP VC G2. I've not even set the camera up to how I like it yet so bear with me.

Oh, and my wife bought her Df along too.

Who on here got the sigma 150-600 lens. anyone having issues like @snerkler having with his tamron??

Was about to say the skater pics look a bit poop but clicking through shows them much better (y)

Just a couple of things. I took 57 shots, mostly in CL mode. Only 2 were out of focus on a tricky subject which roughly equates to 3.5%
I'll happily live with a 96.5% success rate.

I very rarely shoot in CL and almost never in CH. Nice to have these modes at 10fps or whatever the D500 is. Impossible, I know, but it felt faster than my D5. Maybe because I have only tried it on my D5 once and that was about a year ago and I don't really remember what its like!!

I was given an XQD card. It's the Lexar 1400x (210mbs) 64gb. I have 3 of the 400mbs cards. I know some say the difference is negligible, but I think I'd disagree. It felt like it took an age for the preview compared to the 400mbs cards in the D5. However, I was shooting a backup onto a genuine Sandisk 95mbs SD card, maybe that's where the holdup was. I think I am going to look for some super-duper quick SD cards.

More testing is required on a lot of fronts, plus, I need to make the settings my own. The skater pics are practically SOOC, just straightened as I don't want you all to see how wonky the world looks to me through a viewfinder!!!!!!!! I'm off to Santa Pod in about 10 days for a drifting day (spectator). Not really my thing but I thought I could try the D5/D500 combo with a couple of my lenses (Nikon 200ƒ/2, Nikon 300ƒ/4 PF, Tamron 70-200mm G2).

All in all, very, very happy I swapped the D810. Watch this space.

Back