D500

Oh yeah it wouldn't be on the action, it'd probably be on a fence post or something.
Anything's better than another selfie :exit:

Who on here got the sigma 150-600 lens. anyone having issues like @snerkler having with his tamron??

I carried out some testing and its the same/similar with the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary as Snerkler is getting with the Tamron..........The furthest outer points on side were hit and miss , the corners just hunting >f6, unless zooming back and forth from f5 > f6.3 and sometimes they would lock and the top and bottom rows seem to lock focus at f6.3 when lens is fully zoomed out.

Nikon in their design only have f5.6 zoom lenses IIRC and these should work fine. I suppose why should they produce something which maybe a benefit to Sigma or Tamron if you want to use the outer points from f6.3?????

Would be interesting how the 200-500mm f5.6 lens performs with a 1.4TC fitted though, anyone have the combo to try?

Last edited:
I carried out some testing and its the same/similar with the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary as Snerkler is getting with the Tamron..........The furthest outer points on side were hit and miss , the corners just hunting >f6, unless zooming back and forth from f5 > f6.3 and sometimes they would lock and the top and bottom rows seem to lock focus at f6.3 when lens is fully zoomed out.

Nikon in their design only have f5.6 zoom lenses IIRC and these should work fine. I suppose why should they produce something which maybe a benefit to Sigma or Tamron if you want to use the outer points from f6.3?????

Would be interesting how the 200-500mm f5.6 lens performs with a 1.4TC fitted though, anyone have the combo to try?
Thanks for this. When you say it works at f6.3 fully zoomed out so you mean at 150mm therefore it's actually focussing at f5?

I find this pretty disappointing tbh. When I tried my mate's D7200 with my Tamron 150-600mm I don't recall any issues although I can't be 100% sure I tried the outer points. I'll try it again next time I see him though. But if it does work then it's not great that Nikon's "pro" camera is more restricted than their enthusiast one. It would suggest that the D500 will be more restricted with TC's too :(

I've actually contacted several people on Flickr, some didn't seem to understand what I was saying, some have only ever used centre point and some have reported having no issue, but whether they have specifically tested the outer AF points at 600mm I can't obviously be sure. It would seem strange that myself and Swanseajack are seeing issues and other not though, unless both Sugma and Tamron have firmware updates. Ideally I'd try another D500 with mine, and also try a new Tamron with my D500 but I don't think that's going to happen.

Thanks for this. When you say it works at f6.3 fully zoomed out so you mean at 150mm therefore it's actually focussing at f5?

I find this pretty disappointing tbh. When I tried my mate's D7200 with my Tamron 150-600mm I don't recall any issues although I can't be 100% sure I tried the outer points. I'll try it again next time I see him though. But if it does work then it's not great that Nikon's "pro" camera is more restricted than their enthusiast one. It would suggest that the D500 will be more restricted with TC's too :(

I've actually contacted several people on Flickr, some didn't seem to understand what I was saying, some have only ever used centre point and some have reported having no issue, but whether they have specifically tested the outer AF points at 600mm I can't obviously be sure. It would seem strange that myself and Swanseajack are seeing issues and other not though, unless both Sugma and Tamron have firmware updates. Ideally I'd try another D500 with mine, and also try a new Tamron with my D500 but I don't think that's going to happen.

Yes f5 at 150mm f6.3 at 600mm. I use manual mode and let the aperture stop down automatically as I zoom, unless I want to take it further, i.e f8.

I just done a quick, rough check >

f5 150 mm
f5.3 185mm
f5.6 270mm
f6.0 380mm
f6.3 500mm >600mm

So in summary, at 600mm f6.3, it hunts and usually fails in corners, sides usually acquire focus but hunts, top and bottom acquires focus..........If I pull the zoom back to say 270mm in corners @ f5.6 and zoom quickly back out to 600mm and f6.3, it sometimes acquires focus, as If I was zooming too quick for the camera and fooling it, hope that makes sense.

Just tried my D810 and hit focus at every outer point @ 600mm and f6.3. in corners it sometimes went one full AF cycle, but always achieved focus.

So does seem a little strange for the D500 to struggle, have you contacted Nikon @snerkler ??

So we now got a lemon ??

Yes f5 at 150mm f6.3 at 600mm. I use manual mode and let the aperture stop down automatically as I zoom, unless I want to take it further, i.e f8.

I just done a quick, rough check >

f5 150 mm
f5.3 185mm
f5.6 270mm
f6.0 380mm
f6.3 500mm >600mm

So in summary, at 600mm f6.3, it hunts and usually fails in corners, sides usually acquire focus but hunts, top and bottom acquires focus..........If I pull the zoom back to say 270mm in corners @ f5.6 and zoom quickly back out to 600mm and f6.3, it sometimes acquires focus, as If I was zooming too quick for the camera and fooling it, hope that makes sense.

Just tried my D810 and hit focus at every outer point @ 600mm and f6.3. in corners it sometimes went one full AF cycle, but always achieved focus.

So does seem a little strange for the D500 to struggle, have you contacted Nikon @snerkler ??
Ahh, much appreciated. Seems to work better with the sigma then as the only ones that work at 600mm with the Tamron are the centre 9 cluster and then the very centre row running left to right. So none of the top row, none of the second row barring the central 3, all of the middle row, none of the fourth row barring the central 3, and none of the bottom row.

Nails everytime on the D750. I'll hopefully try my mate's D7200 over the next week.

I contacted Nikon and they said they can't comment as they don't test with third party lenses. They just said to test it with Nikon lenses and also to contact Tamron.

It does appear then that this all singing all dancing AF system could well be flawed when using certain 3rd party lenses. I wonder if it's the same with all f6.3 lenses therefore neither sigma 150-600mm's will work properly, neither Tamrons, and the new Sigma 100-400mm? I wonder if the D5 suffers the same, or whether it's just the wide spread of the crop body not letting enough light hit the outer AF sensors?

So we now got a lemon ??

Not quite, I would say as I mentioned above in post 3282 and from Snerklers response from Nikon, the camera will work with Nikon lenses. It's Sigma and Tamron who should make their lenses work on the D500, just saying and thinking from Nikon's view point.

Bit of a bummer though for people who use the extreme outer points with these superzooms, it doesn't affect me for my shooting, but thought I would test to help out.

Last edited:
Be interested hear how the Nikon 200/500 does

Be interested hear how the Nikon 200/500 does
It will work I'm sure. Not only is it 'only' f5.6 it's only 500mm. I can use my Tamron up to 520mm with all focus points so it still offers a slight reach advantage, plus I can use a limited amount of focus points up to 600mm so if I can focus/recompose or compose in a way that I can use the f8 sensitive AF points then I have even more of a reach advantage.

I still think it's disappointing though for such a highly regarded AF system. I'd still like to try another D500 just to put my mind at rest though ;)

Guessing if it the same your d500 going back

Guessing if it the same your d500 going back
Probably not, as that's not why I've bought it. If it's normal behaviour of the D500, as disappointing as it is I will keep it as I've bought it as a backup for sporting events, although it might get primary use for some, and as a second body for Silverstone. My main concern was that my D500 was faulty and so trying to determine whether it is or not as I'd want to exchange it if it was, especially considering that I will be selling it later in the year. However, it appears that mine is normal and the D500's AF system is slightly flawed with third third party long zooms.

Last edited:
Didn't realise your already thinking selling it later in year lol

lol well I did read you want it for these sport event. Don't you think you end up keeping

lol well I did read you want it for these sport event. Don't you think you end up keeping
Never bought with that intention. Buying and selling should work out cheaper than renting a few times, plus I get the chance to play with it in the meantime ;)

@snerkler do you actually need the corner/end AF points to work at f6.3 and 600mm??? What situation would you use for this, it's not a composition setting I have ever used so just wondering?

Obviously forgetting the rights and wrongs with camera AF.

Last edited:
Oh ok my friend. U never know [emoji6]

@snerkler do you actually need the corner/end AF points to work at f6.3 and 600mm??? What situation would you use for this, it's not a composition setting I have ever used so just wondering?
They could be useful for dynamic tracking *IF* they hadn't broken d9-d153. As it is, there is almost no benefit to them unless using 3d or auto.
Currently on my D5 (I would set the D500 the same) I am using either 3d or group with matrix metering as my primary selection. I have d9 w/ AF-on on the sub selector, and I have CW/spot set on the Pre/Fn1 buttons. I have fairly well given up on d9-d153 for tracking... which rather sucks IMO.

Last edited:

Obviously forgetting the rights and wrongs with camera AF.
I use them quite often at wildlife parks, I like to fill the frame and focus on the eye which is often towards the edge of the frame.

Had several users on flickr tell me they've not had any issues using the Tamron 150-600mm with D500 now, very confusing. I really could do with getting my hands on another D500 if I can.

Had several users on flickr tell me they've not had any issues using the Tamron 150-600mm with D500 now, very confusing. I really could do with getting my hands on another D500 if I can.
Doesn't surprise me at all... and it's quite possible that their setup is behaving exactly the same.

Doesn't surprise me at all... and it's quite possible that their setup is behaving exactly the same.
Some have said they only use centre points so have dismissed those, but some have said they've not had issues with the other focus points. However, I can't know for sure whether or not they have tried them in the specific scenarios I've mentioned, hence the only reason I can know for sure is to get hold of another D500 and try myself. Trouble is not stores near me have one.

I don't think there is an issue with your camera. There *should be* some AF limitations above f/5.6, particularly with vertical details/contrast. It's quite likely that the larger points of the D750 are also being affected at f/6.3, but just not as significantly (smaller % loss). There is a chance that a different pairing of the D500/Tamron 150-600 would behave slightly differently, it's not uncommon. But that's kind of "luck of the draw" as to how manufacturing tolerances pair up.

Where's near you? If you were close to me you could have a play about with my D500.
That's very kind indeed, but I think I'm quite a way away. Chesterfield, Derbyshire.

Good win for us yesterday btw :D

I don't think there is an issue with your camera. There *should be* some AF limitations above f/5.6, particularly with vertical details/contrast. It's quite likely that the larger points of the D750 are also being affected at f/6.3, but just not as significantly (smaller % loss). There is a chance that a different pairing of the D500/Tamron 150-600 would behave slightly differently, it's not uncommon. But that's kind of "luck of the draw" as to how manufacturing tolerances pair up.
Interesting thanks.

That's very kind indeed, but I think I'm quite a way away. Chesterfield, Derbyshire.

Good win for us yesterday btw :D

Ah well, hopefully you will figure out whether it is a generic camera / lens problem, or your specific camera / lens problem.

Great result for Liverpool, though apparently according to Koeman, Everton played well and he was very proud of their performance. :eek: :confused: :LOL: He also seemed a bit upset that the Liverpool bench were trying to get some of his players sent off for their X-rated fouls. :thinking: :rolleyes: The more carp he talks, the less respect I have for him. Sad. :(

Ah well, hopefully you will figure out whether it is a generic camera / lens problem, or your specific camera / lens problem.

Great result for Liverpool, though apparently according to Koeman, Everton played well and he was very proud of their performance. :eek: :confused: :LOL: He also seemed a bit upset that the Liverpool bench were trying to get some of his players sent off for their X-rated fouls. :thinking: :rolleyes: The more carp he talks, the less respect I have for him. Sad. :(
I've now had 6 responses from flickr users and none report the issue. It doesn't even seem hit and miss whether the D500 will work with the Tamron :confused: (albeit a small sample size).

Yeah, I though Koeman came across well when at Southampton but he's had a few whinges this year and said a few bizarre things. I'd be disappointed as a fan if our manager came out with high praise after a performance that bad.

Morning all
posted my D500 back to Nikon yesterday because I was unable to access live view, I don't use it normally only to do a AF fine tune on another lens I picked up it's been about five months since last used
has anyone else had this fault?, the only change to the camera since last used has been to update the firmware I don't know if that is relevant or not,
I expect a few people who have recently updated will be checking their own cameras soon but don't panic I'm sure it's an isolated fault.

Regards Bob

l
OOPS, nothing wrong with the camera after all I somehow managed to disable the live view function, don't know how or why " WHAT A PLONKER"
apologies to Nikon.

Back