D500

Go on, someone show its 10 fps tracking of a fast moving object. I heard the camera is bloody good at it

HI guys, since selling off most of my DSLR system, I'm left with just my D500 and a few lenses (many long ones for birding / wildlife etc. However I do still have my Nikon 16-80 F2.8-4 VR and the Sigma 10-20 but having got rid of my 70-200 F2.8 (which was too good of a lens to not be used frequently), I now have a hole in the 80-200ish FL.

Whilst I don't use the D500 massively for "general" shooting, I'd still like to fill the gap so I have a simple 3 lens "kit", however I don't want to spend a fortune (yes I'd love a 70-200 F4 VR but it wouldn't get used enough to justify the cost).

I've been reading good things about the incredibly cheap "Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3 G ED VR DX lens" (wow that's a mouthful). It's currently available for under £290 new with £65 cashback from Nikon. Anyone used one of these on a D500 (or D7100/7200 for that matter) and can comment on it's optical quality.

HI guys, since selling off most of my DSLR system, I'm left with just my D500 and a few lenses (many long ones for birding / wildlife etc. However I do still have my Nikon 16-80 F2.8-4 VR and the Sigma 10-20 but having got rid of my 70-200 F2.8 (which was too good of a lens to not be used frequently), I now have a hole in the 80-200ish FL.

Whilst I don't use the D500 massively for "general" shooting, I'd still like to fill the gap so I have a simple 3 lens "kit", however I don't want to spend a fortune (yes I'd love a 70-200 F4 VR but it wouldn't get used enough to justify the cost).

I've been reading good things about the incredibly cheap "Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3 G ED VR DX lens" (wow that's a mouthful). It's currently available for under £290 new with £65 cashback from Nikon. Anyone used one of these on a D500 (or D7100/7200 for that matter) and can comment on it's optical quality.
Don't discount the older Nikon 80-200 f2.8 which has the superb IQ of great lenses like the 70-200 f2.8.

I use the 70-300 AF-P on my D500. All the positive reports are correct.
It is surprisingly good at 300mm.
Excellent value for money.
See post 3405 on the previous page.

Last edited:
I've found my Nikon 70-300 VR has come to life on the D500. I know I am using it a lot more than I did on my D300S, but it seems like a new lens as it is so sharp, even wide open. :D

I took some pics at the Africa Oye music festival in Liverpool over the weekend. I've never really bothered taking music pics outdoors in daylight before, but I quite enjoyed it. And again, the D500 is not just a Sports camera. ;)

18419-1498149740-98a8c6407d2c95ede449344bae316ca5.jpg

Daby Toure, Africa Oye 2017

18415-1498148087-18d3d8a4f72bd4afa6bd0762bedc4c2b.jpg

Daby Toure, Africa Oye 2017

18418-1498149112-6e5167246413c43b7b6bf1dea02b14e7.jpg

Diabel Cissokho, Africa Oye 2017

18416-1498148193-cceb9d65091ab02b5a8991158fe53f39.jpg

18417-1498148440-3015e97155854929498b961d27915177.jpg

Well there a few images on my Flickr I took at YWP if anyone want to look [emoji1303]

Just ordered 16-80mm. Figured I had the D500 that I should get a decent lens!!

Last edited:
Anybody got it? Any nice landscapes to show off?

Anybody got it? Any nice landscapes to show off?
I got the 16-80mm earlier in the year. I don't have any images resized and online to show, but the last 22 images of my Venice gallery on 500px were taken with it if you're interested.

I've found it a bit snappier to focus and a bit sharper than the Nikon 16-85mm. I was very pleased with the 16-85mm for many years though, but had the opportunity to get the 16-80mm at a very good price, and the 16-85mm was getting a bit tired after 6-7 years.

I got the 16-80mm earlier in the year. I don't have any images resized and online to show, but the last 22 images of my Venice gallery on 500px were taken with it if you're interested.

I've found it a bit snappier to focus and a bit sharper than the Nikon 16-85mm. I was very pleased with the 16-85mm for many years though, but had the opportunity to get the 16-80mm at a very good price, and the 16-85mm was getting a bit tired after 6-7 years.
Look great on the mobile. Need to check them out in the morning on the big screen. Thanks for sharing!!

Fantastic shots - I particularly like Squero San Trovaso, Venice and
Early Morning Santa Maria della Salute

Really looking forward to getting my hands on the lens - hopefully before the weekend and my trip to Pembrokshire.

Right first question

What macro lens people using on there d500 if yo got one.

I use to own a Nikon 105mm when I had the d750. I sold it all up when I moved system.

But thinking about the sigma version as it cheaper

D500 is very touchy with batteries, newer 3rd party 'chipped' for the D500 should work fine but standard batteries won't work.

Dug this post out to ask if you use expro in your D500 as i know you have been happy with them in the past.

Dug this post out to ask if you use expro in your D500 as i know you have been happy with them in the past.

I haven't tried them in the D500 Mike, I have four of the new ones thanks partly to Nikon exchange so I don't need more yet. :)

Just a little confused as far as cards and camera speed are concerned.

First thing is i cant do any tests for myself at the moment as the weather is against me here,bought the D500 with an XQD card,i always back up to a second card and at the moment i have Sandisk 95mbs cards which are ready for replacing,will the speed of the sd card dictate the operating speed of the camera as in buffer clearing ect.
If this is the case buying the fastest sd card would make sense or at least a 250mbs card,i dont feel i will ever need the full speed or buffer capacity of the D500,this makes me think why use the XQD as my primary card if the camera is only as quick as the slowest card,my XQD could be considered internal memory and only pulled if my sd failed or once a month to to keep contacts clear.

The XQD reader money could be spent on sd cards and if the unfortunate situation arose that my sd failed i could use the cable (whick i know could be slow) not penny pinchinching here and i will buy the reader if i have got this wrong but i am retried now so dont want to spend senselessly.

Just a little confused as far as cards and camera speed are concerned.

First thing is i cant do any tests for myself at the moment as the weather is against me here,bought the D500 with an XQD card,i always back up to a second card and at the moment i have Sandisk 95mbs cards which are ready for replacing,will the speed of the sd card dictate the operating speed of the camera as in buffer clearing ect.
If this is the case buying the fastest sd card would make sense or at least a 250mbs card,i dont feel i will ever need the full speed or buffer capacity of the D500,this makes me think why use the XQD as my primary card if the camera is only as quick as the slowest card,my XQD could be considered internal memory and only pulled if my sd failed or once a month to to keep contacts clear.

The XQD reader money could be spent on sd cards and if the unfortunate situation arose that my sd failed i could use the cable (whick i know could be slow) not penny pinchinching here and i will buy the reader if i have got this wrong but i am retried now so dont want to spend senselessly.

My D500 uses a 1440x XQD card and a 95Mb/s UHS-1 SD card and I can't imagine ever needing to shoot faster or for longer than I already can ... unless you are machine-gunning or perhaps shooting very fast sports you won't notice any lacking from what you have.

First thing is i cant do any tests for myself at the moment as the weather is against me here...
You can take photos indoors, you know. If it's just to test card write speed, burst speed, that sort of thing, why not take advantage of the bad weather to do it now, so you'll have some answers before your next fair-weather outing?

You can take photos indoors, you know. If it's just to test card write speed, burst speed, that sort of thing, why not take advantage of the bad weather to do it now, so you'll have some answers before your next fair-weather outing?

What bit of testing i have done indicates the SD speed will be fast enough for my needs,just need to check real world situations and wanted to see if i was understanding this card situation.

Not been doing much wildlife recently - so the D500 hasn't been getting out much.

Managed to get a lucky shot of a Vixen last weekend - the light was dropping fast and I had to up the ISO a bit - nothing silly, but I was happy with the results at ISO1600. The subject was stood - so I slowed the shutter speed down as much as I dare to get as good an ISO as possible.

I have added selective noise reduction and sharpening in Photoshop.

Vixen by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Last edited:
anyone know where I can gat an A4 size owners manual for the d500. can't read the small version that comes with the camera

Last edited:
Took this last night of our super active 2 year old Cocker Spaniel - Charlie in deep shade.

It's a jpeg from the D500 with just the lightest NR at ISO6400 (NR set to off in camera). The detail it retains (for a jpg) is quite amazing for a DX crop camera. No additional sharpening applied.

do you ever use Release priority when shooting fast moving subjects
i.e fast birds or planes
reason I'm asking my focus hit rate seems low when I've been using focus priority especially if I'm on 10fps
i use a f c single point back button focus focus priority

do you ever use Release priority when shooting fast moving subjects
i.e fast birds or planes
reason I'm asking my focus hit rate seems low when I've been using focus priority especially if I'm on 10fps
i use a f c single point back button focus focus priority
Why not give Group Area-AF a try, you may be surprised at just how good it can be ... occasionally it will lock onto a near wing rather than the head of a bird but I think you will have more success than with single point.

Back