D500

Nope, no live view at all.

Having read up on it like Gramps, before I send it off, I've just tried a full reset and also turned off the touchscreen (as well as airplane mode). I'll see how it goes over the next battery.

I'm shooting a lot of football, with 4 genuine batteries and they're nearly exhausted after about 600 shots with each battery!

D3S (as my backup cam) battery, on the other hand, lasts for well over 1000 shots!
That doesn't sound good either. :thinking:

I would have expected more shots on the D3S with the battery in that too. :confused:

That doesn't sound good either. :thinking:

I would have expected more shots on the D3S with the battery in that too. :confused:

I've never used my D500 enough to every exhaust a battery. My battery normally lasts a couple of outings before I need to swap out so can't really help you with how long it should last. Saying that I'm probably quite a light user.

This really isn't a question of one or two users getting poor battery capacity, there are loads of users having the same problem.
Some say it must be the way the user uses the camera but almost all confirm that they use it much the same way they have used previous Nikons, some have taken to using D4 batteries in a battery grip.
I've read some claiming 2000-3000 shots on a battery and some claiming a couple of hundred ... definitely D500 variability.

This really isn't a question of one or two users getting poor battery capacity, there are loads of users having the same problem.
Some say it must be the way the user uses the camera but almost all confirm that they use it much the same way they have used previous Nikons, some have taken to using D4 batteries in a battery grip.
I've read some claiming 2000-3000 shots on a battery and some claiming a couple of hundred ... definitely D500 variability.
Is this yet another Nikon QC issue then do you think?

Is this yet another Nikon QC issue then do you think?

TBH I can't think of any other explanation, there are too many reports.
If this was only people who didn't use cameras before or weren't aware of battery conservation then I could understand it but it isn't, many have almost everything turned off ... having said all that maybe this just reflects changes in technology, I mean I see some 'alternative' (mirrorless etc) cameras etc offering 300+ shots a charge as standard.

TBH I can't think of any other explanation, there are too many reports.
If this was only people who didn't use cameras before or weren't aware of battery conservation then I could understand it but it isn't, many have almost everything turned off ... having said all that maybe this just reflects changes in technology, I mean I see some 'alternative' (mirrorless etc) cameras etc offering 300+ shots a charge as standard.
Mirrorless is always poor, but that's because is in liveview 100% of the time albeit sometimes via the much smaller EVF. However, you kind of expect a rough average. If I 'only' get 1100 shots from my D750 I'm not going to be concerned as I may have chimped more, or done a bit of in camera RAW editing etc. But if I suddenly got 700 I wouldn't be happy. Are there any reports of people contacting Nikon about this?

Are there any reports of people contacting Nikon about this?
I've seen a couple but not heard of any acceptance by Nikon (as you would expect).
For my part I have 4 x Nikon Li-ion 20 batteries and I always use the camera with a battery grip so there would be more hassle for me in sending it back and possibly get the 'No fault found' than continuing to use it with the grip. On a normal day I would never max out 2 batteries but if I was doing a big 'event/workshop' I would just take the other two batteries with me.
I very much doubt I will sell this camera so resale isn't an issue for me either.

I've seen a couple but not heard of any acceptance by Nikon (as you would expect).
For my part I have 4 x Nikon Li-ion 20 batteries and I always use the camera with a battery grip so there would be more hassle for me in sending it back and possibly get the 'No fault found' than continuing to use it with the grip. On a normal day I would never max out 2 batteries but if I was doing a big 'event/workshop' I would just take the other two batteries with me.
I very much doubt I will sell this camera so resale isn't an issue for me either.
No it's far from the end of the world, I mean I cope with my EM1 no probs when I take that out. Thank god Ex-Pro make batteries though ;) Would be a shame if it does come out that it's yet another Nikon with a fault though as the D500 has been a great success, it's such a good camera.

No it's far from the end of the world, I mean I cope with my EM1 no probs when I take that out. Thank god Ex-Pro make batteries though ;) Would be a shame if it does come out that it's yet another Nikon with a fault though as the D500 has been a great success, it's such a good camera.

There are some things I don't like about it (one less now I've actually got Snapbridge to work on my new iPhone) but the AF is superb and features like customisable buttons are great too.

There are some things I don't like about it (one less now I've actually got Snapbridge to work on my new iPhone) but the AF is superb and features like customisable buttons are great too.
I never tried snapbidge tbh, but the only reason that I didn't keep it was due to the AF issues with the Tamron 150-600mm. Was a shame this, I'd rather Nikon have made the AF spread not quite so wide and be compatible with f6.3 lenses. But I guess Nikon want you to buy theirs ;)

I never tried snapbidge tbh, but the only reason that I didn't keep it was due to the AF issues with the Tamron 150-600mm. Was a shame this, I'd rather Nikon have made the AF spread not quite so wide and be compatible with f6.3 lenses. But I guess Nikon want you to buy theirs ;)

Yes a bit odd that, did you ever discover if the Sigma alternative had the same issue?
Mind you some togs find the D500 and Nikon 200-500 to be a marriage made in heaven ... I'm tempted from some of the results I've seen but I don't think I could replace my 500 f4 VR until it just gets too heavy for me to carry. :)

Yes a bit odd that, did you ever discover if the Sigma alternative had the same issue?
Mind you some togs find the D500 and Nikon 200-500 to be a marriage made in heaven ... I'm tempted from some of the results I've seen but I don't think I could replace my 500 f4 VR until it just gets too heavy for me to carry. :)
Yeah, many report the Sigma has the same issue, as does the Gen 2 Tamron. One of the reasons I've not contemplated the 200-500mm is that I find the Tammy heavy enough for day's use hand held without adding another 400g.

Yeah, many report the Sigma has the same issue, as does the Gen 2 Tamron. One of the reasons I've not contemplated the 200-500mm is that I find the Tammy heavy enough for day's use hand held without adding another 400g.

I wonder if it's a case of 'physics' or design ... where are @sk66 and @HoppyUK when you need them? :D

I wonder if it's a case of 'physics' or design ... where are @sk66 and @HoppyUK when you need them? :D

Not usually found browsing Nikon threads ;) but what's the question? AF issues at f/6.3? That's definitely physics with phase-detect AF (contrast-detect is not effected by aperture, at least not in the same way). When the physical diameter of the aperture gets too small, there's not enough difference side-to-side for phase detect to work reliably, and off-centre AF points may not work at all. Canon doesn't make any lenses higher than f/5.6 max and above that results are very dependent on the camera/lens/conditions/user.

Not usually found browsing Nikon threads ;) but what's the question? AF issues at f/6.3? That's definitely physics with phase-detect AF (contrast-detect is not effected by aperture, at least not in the same way). When the physical diameter of the aperture gets too small, there's not enough difference side-to-side for phase detect to work reliably, and off-centre AF points may not work at all. Canon doesn't make any lenses higher than f/5.6 max and above that results are very dependent on the camera/lens/conditions/user.

Ah thanks, so any lens with min f6.3 would suffer the same effect, regardless of manufacturer ... explains why Nikon stopped at the 200-500 f5.6 :)

Ah thanks, so any lens with min f6.3 would suffer the same effect, regardless of manufacturer ... explains why Nikon stopped at the 200-500 f5.6 :)

Yes, pretty much. The underlying factor is very much the physics of it, but as the task gets harder, improved design/technology can push the boundary a bit further. For example, only a few years ago there were no cameras that would reliably AF with phase-detect above f/5.6, but now there are quite a few that will run to f/8 with the centre-point only, though they may be slower, less reliable, need extra care to pick out high-contrast areas to lock on to, etc.

Just a guess, but I suspect we might have reached the limit of development here with DSLRs and all the R&D effort will now be concentrated on mirrorless and the different challenges which that technology presents. Looking at the Sony A9, the future is bright :)

Yes, pretty much. The underlying factor is very much the physics of it, but as the task gets harder, improved design/technology can push the boundary a bit further. For example, only a few years ago there were no cameras that would reliably AF with phase-detect above f/5.6, but now there are quite a few that will run to f/8 with the centre-point only, though they may be slower, less reliable, need extra care to pick out high-contrast areas to lock on to, etc.

Just a guess, but I suspect we might have reached the limit of development here with DSLRs and all the R&D effort will now be concentrated on mirrorless and the different challenges which that technology presents. Looking at the Sony A9, the future is bright :)

Many thanks Richard :)

Well I contacted Panamoz about this and they came straight back to me saying to get it checked out by Nikon UK (as I still have 2 years of the 3 years warranty with them left), and if I want to go ahead, send them the estimate from Nikon and they will transfer the money to my account. Sounds pretty good service (if it works and the repair bill isn't half the cost of a new camera !).

I've therefore just contacted Nikon UK though the customer support portal and explained everything and asked for their comments / advise. I fully expect to get either "we can't possibly comment until we have seen the camera" (which is fair I suppose), or "that's not untypical battery life under the condition" (which would irritate me some !)

I'll let you know what they say and what I decide to do as I have a month between the next wedding (and have enough other backup cameras).

Well I contacted Panamoz about this and they came straight back to me saying to get it checked out by Nikon UK (as I still have 2 years of the 3 years warranty with them left), and if I want to go ahead, send them the estimate from Nikon and they will transfer the money to my account. Sounds pretty good service (if it works and the repair bill isn't half the cost of a new camera !).

I've therefore just contacted Nikon UK though the customer support portal and explained everything and asked for their comments / advise. I fully expect to get either "we can't possibly comment until we have seen the camera" (which is fair I suppose), or "that's not untypical battery life under the condition" (which would irritate me some !)

I'll let you know what they say and what I decide to do as I have a month between the next wedding (and have enough other backup cameras).

Any response yet?

Yes, they came back to me fairy quickly in fact. Here's what they had to say.

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your email.

I am really sorry to learn of the problem you are experiencing.

From your description it seems that the camera may have indeed developed a problem with power management, or a short circuit. This would explain why the battery seem to drain with the camera turned off.

Can you please test if the problem can be replicated after:

1. The camera firmware has been updated to version 1.13 (please note the update has to be done twice)
2. Memory cards, the lens and all other accessories have been removed.

Looking forward to your reply,

Kind Regards,

Nikon Customer Support

So, I've done as they asked, charged a battery to 100% removed everything (cards, grip, lens), and left the camera for 24 hours. Normally I'd get around 15-20% battery discharge per day with the camera turned off. I checked it before after just over 24 hours and the battery is still at 100%, which is a first. So I've now added the lens back and will see how that goes. If everything's OK then I'll add the SD card then the XQD card.

My gut is that it's the Lexar XQD card (a 64gb 2933x 440mb/s) unit which although is on the list of compatible cards by Nikon for the camera, I have noticed that when inserted, things like camera switch on and image review are not instant like they are with just the SD card, but introduces about a 1-1.5 second delay ?

We'll see.

You just run through the motions for the firmware twice, don't know why but it does allow you to do it?

I'm definitely around if you feel like donating it gramps!!

You just run through the motions for the firmware twice, don't know why but it does allow you to do it?

Just done it twice, then remembered I had already done it once so did it again to make sure I hadn't gone back to 'step 1' ... I could still do it again if I wanted to, normally once updated there is no option to do it again but it looks like with this update it will always see it and allow you to do it again and again ... weird! :thinking:

There is nothing I can see about doing it twice in the update instructions, I wonder if anyone else has done that?

It does actually say it in the description part on the Nikon Euro website Gramps

Updating from “C” Firmware Versions 1.00 Through1.12
  • If the camera “C” firmware is currently version 1.00–1.12, you will need to perform the update twice. During the first update, the camera may or may not display the message, “Update failed. Contact a Nikon-authorized service representative.” Continue with the second update regardless. Performing the update for a second time completes the firmware update.
  • To perform the update a second time, complete Steps 4 through 6 of “Updating the Camera Firmware”.
  • When performing the second update, note that the firmware version may or may not change as a result of the first update. If the firmware version has changed, the “Current” and “New” versions displayed in the “Update?” dialog will be the same; otherwise, the two versions will be different. In either case, the firmware version will be updated when you perform the update a second time.

Last edited:
It does actually say it in the description part on the Nikon Euro website Gramps

Updating from “C” Firmware Versions 1.00 Through1.12
  • If the camera “C” firmware is currently version 1.00–1.12, you will need to perform the update twice. During the first update, the camera may or may not display the message, “Update failed. Contact a Nikon-authorized service representative.” Continue with the second update regardless. Performing the update for a second time completes the firmware update.
  • To perform the update a second time, complete Steps 4 through 6 of “Updating the Camera Firmware”.
  • When performing the second update, note that the firmware version may or may not change as a result of the first update. If the firmware version has changed, the “Current” and “New” versions displayed in the “Update?” dialog will be the same; otherwise, the two versions will be different. In either case, the firmware version will be updated when you perform the update a second time.
Thanks Andrew, see this is the trouble ... when all else fails, read the instructions! :banghead:

I wonder just how many people, like me, have been wandering around with a half-updated D500. :(

I'm wondering whether to sell my m43 gear and get a d500. Reading the above makes me nervous :eek:

I'm wondering whether to sell my m43 gear and get a d500. Reading the above makes me nervous :eek:

Dont be...
I get at least 1k shots from a battery at motorsport.
Would prbably have to change a battery out on a full days birding as you spend a lot of time with the BBF pressed....

I love mine, and now I have a 70-200 2.8 I cant wait for the Euros !

I did 2 and a bit batteries on Saturday alone in 600 shots :( my concern about Nikon may be illfounded - sodding around with adjusting lens focus, various recalls etc.

And then what lens(es) to get ? A 70-200 of some variety and I'd need something closer. And money IS an issue..I don't have unlimited funds

70-200 2.8 and 16-85 3.5 is all I use at SPR....

I ALWAYS shoot RAW as well.....

Yes, they came back to me fairy quickly in fact. Here's what they had to say.

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your email.

I am really sorry to learn of the problem you are experiencing.

From your description it seems that the camera may have indeed developed a problem with power management, or a short circuit. This would explain why the battery seem to drain with the camera turned off.

Can you please test if the problem can be replicated after:

1. The camera firmware has been updated to version 1.13 (please note the update has to be done twice)
2. Memory cards, the lens and all other accessories have been removed.

Looking forward to your reply,

Kind Regards,

Nikon Customer Support

So, I've done as they asked, charged a battery to 100% removed everything (cards, grip, lens), and left the camera for 24 hours. Normally I'd get around 15-20% battery discharge per day with the camera turned off. I checked it before after just over 24 hours and the battery is still at 100%, which is a first. So I've now added the lens back and will see how that goes. If everything's OK then I'll add the SD card then the XQD card.

My gut is that it's the Lexar XQD card (a 64gb 2933x 440mb/s) unit which although is on the list of compatible cards by Nikon for the camera, I have noticed that when inserted, things like camera switch on and image review are not instant like they are with just the SD card, but introduces about a 1-1.5 second delay ?

We'll see.

Coincidentally, I've just checked my emails before work, and I've got one from Nikon overnight, about updating to 1.13.

Hopefully it'll fix the battery issues, though I'm sure they would've put it in the release notes if it did.

Back