D500

Posted a thread elsewhere but no response ... anyone had success/problems with transferring images from their D500 to Snapbridge on IOS?

what do you think will give me the best iq my d500 0r d750
were booked for a break in Rome so a lot of dark churches

Posted a thread elsewhere but no response ... anyone had success/problems with transferring images from their D500 to Snapbridge on IOS?

Have tried it a couple of times without success. The only files that Snapbridge 'finds' are any videos that I've shot. Not sure whether that's because I shoot in RAW and it can only handle jpeg or whether I'm just doing something wrong.

Have tried it a couple of times without success. The only files that Snapbridge 'finds' are any videos that I've shot. Not sure whether that's because I shoot in RAW and it can only handle jpeg or whether I'm just doing something wrong.
It certainly can only handle jpeg so you either have to shoot RAW + jpeg or jpeg, or edit the RAW in camera.

This reply might be totally out to lunch but, here goes. On my D750 I can send the embedded jpeg of a RAW shot to my iPhone via the Nikon wireless mobile utility if I've got wifi available. I'll admit it's not the most elegant of solutions but, if a jpeg is needed in a pinch, it works. Is Snapbridge that much clunkier?

This reply might be totally out to lunch but, here goes. On my D750 I can send the embedded jpeg of a RAW shot to my iPhone via the Nikon wireless mobile utility if I've got wifi available. I'll admit it's not the most elegant of solutions but, if a jpeg is needed in a pinch, it works. Is Snapbridge that much clunkier?

Clunky? ... Snapbridge to WMU is like a Challenger Tank to Rolls Royce Phantom!

I've finally treated myself to a grip, and chose a Neewer grip off the 'bay' for £32. :)

I panicked a bit when I first put it on without a battery and nothing worked. :eek: The buttons on the compatible grip I have for the D300S works without batteries. So I put a battery in and the same thing. :eek: First I had to take the AF Lock of next to the Shutter button, and then go into the Menu to set it to work as the normal grip. It now works as it should without batteries too. It came with two trays, one for the normal battery, and one for rechargeable AA batteries.

So if you buy a grip, don't panic if nothing seems to work initially. ;)

It doesn't feel as narrow or deep as the camera grip. The grip seems slightly large in the hand, but then the one I have for the D300S does too. I assume that an original grip would be the same.

For a over £300 saving, I'm very happy so far. Just need to get out and use it a bit. :)

Anyone used a D500 and D750 who can say how they compare for wildlife? I'm often using ISO1600 to ISO3200, I would love to know how they compare. I'm thinking of a D500 to pair with a 70-200 f2.8 VR2 and 1.4TC to get up to 400mm. I'm think of letting my 200-400 go so I thought about the D500 with 70-200+1.4TC would get to around 400mm with the crop factor. Whilst I know the D500 should beat the D750 in focus speed, AF spread, FPS it's high ISO that could be a factor for me.

Anyone used a D500 and D750 who can say how they compare for wildlife? I'm often using ISO1600 to ISO3200, I would love to know how they compare. I'm thinking of a D500 to pair with a 70-200 f2.8 VR2 and 1.4TC to get up to 400mm. I'm think of letting my 200-400 go so I thought about the D500 with 70-200+1.4TC would get to around 400mm with the crop factor. Whilst I know the D500 should beat the D750 in focus speed, AF spread, FPS it's high ISO that could be a factor for me.
I had both, but sent the D500 back as the wide AF spread is too wide for it's own good and only limited points work with the Tamron/Sigma 150-600mm lenses due to them being f6.3. No such issues with the D750. Other than that I preferred the build of the D500, but found noise handling better on the D750. That being said, if it's for wildlife you may have to crop more with the D750 which will accentuate the noise and the gap will be bridged. Conversely you may need a faster shutter with the D500 due to the longer effective FL which then pushes the ISO up. So really it depends how they are used as to how you will find the noise performance ;)

I have both.
Snerkler has made the key points.
500 has much better autofocus, faster frame rate and all important reach.
On gloomy uk winter days you have to accept noise, and 750 is better for this.
But not all days are gloomy!
I also tried a 7200 but 500 noise is better.

I'm still considering going for the D500 for the autofocus and frame rate. But the quality of images from the D750 are just really nice. Saying that I don't have my own D500 images to compare!

I'm not a wildlife photographer, but do equestrian stuff. But horses are moving around 30mph max which is no bother for the D750. I don't think I have often missed focus with the 750, in actual fact I can't remember the last time I missed focus of equestrian. I do wish I had more reach withought having to buy a bazooka though!

I don't know, I want both lol.

Last edited:
Doesn't look that great tbh. I think using an apple SD card reader or an Apple camera kit would be better for transferring the photos.

For remote shooting, might be better using a computer and tethering through direct connection? Is that a feature on Nikon? I know you can use Canon eos software to do it with a canon.

I'm still considering going for the D500 for the autofocus and frame rate. But the quality of images from the D750 are just really nice. Saying that I don't have my own D500 images to compare!

I'm not a wildlife photographer, but do equestrian stuff. But horses are moving around 30mph max which is no bother for the D750. I don't think I have often missed focus with the 750, in actual fact I can't remember the last time I missed focus of equestrian. I do wish I had more reach withought having to buy a bazooka though!

The reach advantage isn't that important unless cropping really really heavy. I've cropped some D750 images pretty much down to 1:1 and still got perfectly useable images, in fact they were arguably better than the D7200 I tested again which were cropped down to the same framing (so obviously not 1:1 on the D7200).

I wouldn't base your potential purchase on reach, but more on AF system, frame rate and build. As always YMMV.

The reach advantage isn't that important unless cropping really really heavy. I've cropped some D750 images pretty much down to 1:1 and still got perfectly useable images, in fact they were arguably better than the D7200 I tested again which were cropped down to the same framing (so obviously not 1:1 on the D7200).

I wouldn't base your potential purchase on reach, but more on AF system, frame rate and build. As always YMMV.

The AF system does sound super capable, but having not actually used the D500 for any equestrian work I have no idea if it would actually do be any better for that. I usually take way too many shots... I would hate to think how many images I would have to sort through with 10fps lol

The AF system does sound super capable, but having not actually used the D500 for any equestrian work I have no idea if it would actually do be any better for that. I usually take way too many shots... I would hate to think how many images I would have to sort through with 10fps lol
Tbh there's so many variables with lens AF, light etc that's its difficult to quantify how much better the AF of the D500 is but from my experience the difference isn't huge, even when I was shooting boxing in very poor light (ISO 10000-12800). It's marginal. As you know the D750 is already very capable and almost instant so you can't get hugely better. Frame rate is a plus and a minus. It can help get that perfect frame, but as you say it gives you nearly double the number of shots to sort through.

The D500 AF is superb, not only does it snap onto subjects better than any other camera I've used but for fast stuff it is superb!

Sand Martin in flight.

Sand Martin
by Roger, on Flickr

Juvenile Goshawk chasing a Rook.

Juvenile Goshawk
by Roger, on Flickr

The D500 AF is superb, not only does it snap onto subjects better than any other camera I've used but for fast stuff it is superb!

Sand Martin in flight.

Sand Martin
by Roger, on Flickr

Juvenile Goshawk chasing a Rook.

Juvenile Goshawk
by Roger, on Flickr

Gorgeous shots. I have lens lust and subject envy all at the same time.

I know this is an old topic but I shot my first wedding for 6 years at the weekend (gave it up as I just didn't have the time), and used my D500 as my primary camera with the Nikon D7200 as backup. Lens wise it was the Nikon 17-55, 70-200, 35mm 1.8, 50mm F4 and the 85mm F1.8, and a couple of SB-900's. The camera performed brilliantly as expected, but my god, battery life was atrocious. Took 4 batteries (all Lion 02 versions, all charged to 100%). Airplane mode on, auto ISO on and single frame shooting, 14 bit raw+ large jpeg. Lexar 64gb XQD and 1000x pro SD card.

Battery one got me 325 shots until 10% indicated left, battery 2 was 274 shots to go down to 7%. battery 3 a little better at 437 shots to 11%, and ended up on battery 4 at 75% for 27 shots !

Deffo think it's time to bite the bullet and get It looked at. it was purchased from Panamoz just over a year ago, but came with a 3 year warranty (anyone ever had to use Panamoz's warranty/repair services).

I never thought it would be that close with 4 batteries. My D750, D810, D7200 etc all used to yield well over 1000 shots per charge !

Last edited:

D750 has an awesome autofocus system albeit one that looks poor in comparison to the D500!

If it ain't broke though...

I know this is an old topic but I shot my first wedding for 6 years at the weekend (gave it up as I just didn't have the time), and used my D500 as my primary camera with the Nikon D7200 as backup. Lens wise it was the Nikon 17-55, 70-200, 35mm 1.8, 50mm F4 and the 85mm F1.8, and a couple of SB-900's. The camera performed brilliantly as expected, but my god, battery life was atrocious. Took 4 batteries (all Lion 02 versions, all charged to 100%). Airplane mode on, auto ISO on and single frame shooting, 14 bit raw+ large jpeg. Lexar 64gb XQD and 1000x pro SD card.

Battery one got me 325 shots until 10% indicated left, battery 2 was 274 shots to go down to 7%. battery 3 a little better at 437 shots to 11%, and ended up on battery 4 at 75% for 27 shots !

Deffo think it's time to bite the bullet and get It looked at. it was purchased from Panamoz just over a year ago, but came with a 3 year warranty (anyone ever had to use Panamoz's warranty/repair services).

I never thought it would be that close with 4 batteries. My D750, D810, D7200 etc all used to yield well over 1000 shots per charge !

That doesn't sound right, I seem to get around 1200+ images out of my d500 before that battery gets low, that is with airplane mode on. Although a fair chunk of those shots will be bursts, which probably means less time chimping per frame.

Battery life with the D500 is poor for many people, myself included, even after a few cycles of the batteries.
It seems that if you are doing motorsport or other fast action photography then battery life will be okay but for those who just focus extensively and shoot minimal images battery life is poor.
For me I have a battery grip and always go out with two batteries, 1 in the camera and 1 in the grip.

Battery life with the D500 is poor for many people, myself included, even after a few cycles of the batteries.
It seems that if you are doing motorsport or other fast action photography then battery life will be okay but for those who just focus extensively and shoot minimal images battery life is poor.
For me I have a battery grip and always go out with two batteries, 1 in the camera and 1 in the grip.
But it still should yield 800-900, not 300-350. Assuming he's not using live view all the time ;)

D750 has an awesome autofocus system albeit one that looks poor in comparison to the D500!

If it ain't broke though...
Lol, I wouldn't say the D750's is poor ;)

But it still should yield 800-900, not 300-350. Assuming he's not using live view all the time ;)

There are many D500 users who would not expect 800-900, reports all over the forums ... I've just done 329 with 34% remaining, though with airplane mode off and transferring one image via Snapbridge (at last!!!).

That doesn't sound right. :thinking: I took about 1100 pics on Saturday, 5-10 shot bursts. Airplane mode was off, though I couldn't get a connection to my tablet. :( :rolleyes: I think I had about 30-35% left on the battery. The D500 seems to be very variable on batteries dependent on use, but I haven't seen anyone anywhere with problems like this for awhile.

Btw, do you have the latest firmware?

There are many D500 users who would not expect 800-900, reports all over the forums ... I've just done 329 with 34% remaining, though with airplane mode off and transferring one image via Snapbridge (at last!!!).
Then I'd be checking the battery and/or camera tbh. I actually managed over 1000 with the D500, albeit with burst shooting at boxing. I personally wouldn't accept a modern high end DSLR that gave less than 800 shots for no obvious reason such as extended live view use. But as always YMMV (y)

Back