D500

Happy enough with image quality. Can only use it in good light.

Low light been fine for me. It only around 1 stop worse I believe so ok for odd times

Better stop it twitching lol

Any recommendations for good books to read about the D500 - got to stop the twitching somehow...
I know the Thom Hogan books are highly thought of but I'd prefer something physical and ideally secondhand and therefor cheaper..

Last edited:
How about Mastering the Nikon D500
Amazon sell physical and Kindle versions

I absolutely love the D500 but that battery life is killing me, especially when i take it out at night for some long exposure fun! I appreciate that this has probably (almost certainly) been discussed over the past 98 pages, but to save me trawling does anyone have any experience of the Meike MK500 grip and batteries? The price seems great when compared to the Nikon grip. Thanks for any info.

I absolutely love the D500 but that battery life is killing me, especially when i take it out at night for some long exposure fun! I appreciate that this has probably (almost certainly) been discussed over the past 98 pages, but to save me trawling does anyone have any experience of the Meike MK500 grip and batteries? The price seems great when compared to the Nikon grip. Thanks for any info.

I be interested to hear about this too. I always got branded grip but like you seem a bit steep.. Where you looking to get it from please how much

Cheap compare to £329 for Nikon

I be interested to hear about this too. I always got branded grip but like you seem a bit steep.. Where you looking to get it from please how much

The Meike MK-D500 battery grip works fine, I've had one on mine since day 1 and having two batteries with you does make a big difference.

Well, I've just spent a lot of today reading up on all sorts of things, and may just be looking into getting a D500.
I've got a D750 which I'm perfectly happy with, but there seems to be a few things the d500 brings that I could use to hide my lack of skill.
97 pages is a lot to work ones way through so apologies in advance if I ask some that have been asked before, but I guess the starter has to be aimed at anyone here who has got or had a D750 and now has a D500 - can you please list and pros and cons?
Low light and speed of focus have always been priorities, but I've also just started trying a few BIF shots, and a crop body with faster focusing seems to indicate the D500..

I'm currently in the D750 camp and considering the D500. I would say 80% of my photography is equestrian and now the misses is starting to compete this will only go up!

The indoor ISO capabilities of the D750 are top draw so this is what is holding me back doing the switch!

Honestly there really not much in it ISO wise maybe one stop that all. Easy to fix.

But saying that the D500 is one hell of a crop camera that can do good clean iso

So have myself a D500 for the weekend. Just a couple of questions!

What focus point/mode are people finding best for moving subjects? Horses are large and take up a lot of the frame but when it comes to dogs they are fast little buggers! Was just using single point AFC on the D750 but the D500 has more options point wise.

Just wondering what people got the best results with?

I tend to use d25 and AFC for smaller subjects. I "might" use d72 come motorsport season but I haven't a whole lot of practice since I got my d500 at the end of last year.

I still find 3D too erratic to use successfully

What focus point/mode are people finding best for moving subjects? Horses are large and take up a lot of the frame but when it comes to dogs they are fast little buggers! Was just using single point AFC on the D750 but the D500 has more options point wise.

Group Area AF works best for moving birds in my case so I am sure that it will work well for moving dogs too ... also remember that you can programme buttons for different functions e.g. fn1 for Single Point, so you could use default Group Area AF to track and press fn1 for Single Point at the last minute.

I'm currently in the D750 camp and considering the D500. I would say 80% of my photography is equestrian and now the misses is starting to compete this will only go up!

The indoor ISO capabilities of the D750 are top draw so this is what is holding me back doing the switch!

Used both the D500 and D750 for indoors equestrian and the D750 just ran out of ISO. Sold the D750 and bought a second D500

Mike

Nikons advice http://nps.nikonimaging.com/technical_solutions/d500_tips/af/custom_settings/

Mike

Amazon have the Neewer grip with batteries etc on lightening deal for £42 atm. Is it any good?

Amazon have the Neewer grip with batteries etc on lightening deal for £42 atm. Is it any good?
I got a Neewer grip off the bay for about £32, and it has worked flawlessly so far. :)

The Meike one mentioned earlier seems a bit expensive in comparison, but it is a more well known name. I've had Meike grips before for previous cameras, but I'll buy the cheapest. ;)

What are people using as their standard zoom? 16-80, 16-85, 17-55? Other options from Tamron or Sigma any good?

My standard prob wont suite you is the Sigma 18-35 1.8 Art love it... Ive though about a 16-85 but never really need it as when I want longer I just put on the 50mm prime or the 70-200

How did you get on with your D500 then this weekend

@JJ! I use the 16-80, it’s good a sharp but distorts at the wide end

Last edited:
What are people using as their standard zoom? 16-80, 16-85, 17-55? Other options from Tamron or Sigma any good?
I was using the 16-85mm, and had been for about decade before I got the D500, and was always very happy with it. Until the D500, 95% of my images were taken with that lens. I've been using the 70-300mm more with the D500, and have also bought a Sigma 10-20mm which gets occasional use too.

With the wear and tear of 10+ years of use, I was looking to get the 16-80mm in a good deal with the D500, but when it came out it was no cheaper to get them together or apart, and I felt the lens was too expensive. I was lucky enough to get a 16-80mm months later for a good price, and have been very happy with it. :)

For me the 16-85mm is the best general lens for a Nikon DX for the combination of quality, range, size, weight and cost. The 16mm is surprisingly wider than the many 18mm lenses if one has not tried one. The 16-80mm is almost all of that bar cost. It is probably slightly better quality, but not huge amount in my experience.

Using the 17-55mm f2.8 Nikkor with good results.

GC

Tamron 17-50 VC
Seems pretty good to me.
Bought it on here around £100

Damn XQD cards are expensive!!!

Last edited:
Back