D500

@Mike.P .... I’s this the native 105mm micro?

Guys I have a question that needs answering if you would....

As you can see from my signature I am a Fuji shooter with a nice lens collection, I am however looking to scratch a GAS itch....

I am thinking of keeping my X-H1 and 35mm f1.4, 56mm 1.2, 90mm f2 and the 50-140mm f2.8.

Then trading my X-T1, X-T3 and 23mm f2, 10-24mm f4 and my 100-400mm f4.5-f5.6 to purchase the D500 and Sigma 150-600mm and Sigma 105mm Macro.

My question, is replacing the X-T3 with the D500 a smart decision? I’ve always wanted the D500 and have heard and read many good things about it.

I think it depends on why you want to try the D500.

Ever since I started with digital I have used Pentax, I love their lenses and the IQ is (IMO) excellent but the AF speed and tracking is frankly average at best. I had 3 Pentax bodies but now just have the full frame K-1 and the 15-30mm f/2.8, 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8, 100mm f/2.8 macro and the 150-450mm f/5.6 (plus various others which basically aren't used). Because of the Pentax tracking and the fact I mainly shoot wildlife, birds in flight and aircraft I have ended up with the D500 (after a few years with the Canon 7D MKI) and I have to say it's a beast of a camera, the 3D tracking is superb (Sigma 150-600mm Sport & Nikon 70-300mm) and I'm looking forward to trying it out tomorrow or Sunday (weather permitting) at RIAT.

So basically what I am saying is if you need something with possibly the fastest AF/tracking ability at reasonable money then the D500 is probably it but for most other stuff any make of camera, including your Fuji, will do just as well.

Last edited:
So I've taken the plunge and purchased a D500 and I'm looking for a vertical grip. I'm not going down the genuine Nikon route as they are not worth it having used a generic one on my old D800 which worked fine so out of the array of grips out there which is considered the best?

I use a Neewer grip and I’m more than happy, with it. Just be aware, that the D500, can have issues, with 3rd party batteries.

A Neewer grip for me too. I don't use it that often, but have had no problems. :)

You may want to factor in a couple of batteries. The D500 was not as good as the D300S with batteries, and especially new, as the batteries take a little bit of time to get as good as they can be, which is again, is not as good as the previous camera. They may have sorted that out, as I don't hear that as a problem now. I got D500 compatibles as soon as they appeared.

You can sometimes get a deal with a grip and batteries. I haven't had to look for awhile. I have 3 batteries, one original and two compatibles, and that has been enough for me and no problems. :) Make sure any batteries are D500 compatible though. ;)

I have a Meike grip and it has a remote control with it (came with my used D500 from here)

Although well made it seems to draw current from the battery even when switched off which is a right pain as I nearly always use a grip. If you leave the battery out then is sucks the juice from the battery in the camera instead. Wouldn't recommend it tbh.

I have a Meike grip and it has a remote control with it (came with my used D500 from here)

Although well made it seems to draw current from the battery even when switched off which is a right pain as I nearly always use a grip. If you leave the battery out then is sucks the juice from the battery in the camera instead. Wouldn't recommend it tbh.

Yep. Remember that. Used to remove it.

Guys I have a question that needs answering if you would....

As you can see from my signature I am a Fuji shooter with a nice lens collection, I am however looking to scratch a GAS itch....

I am thinking of keeping my X-H1 and 35mm f1.4, 56mm 1.2, 90mm f2 and the 50-140mm f2.8.

Then trading my X-T1, X-T3 and 23mm f2, 10-24mm f4 and my 100-400mm f4.5-f5.6 to purchase the D500 and Sigma 150-600mm and Sigma 105mm Macro.

My question, is replacing the X-T3 with the D500 a smart decision? I’ve always wanted the D500 and have heard and read many good things about it.
I will be interested in your findings if you do change over to the D500. I'm having similar thoughts regarding my XT2 with the 100-400, I just struggle to get constant keepers when birding/BIF's etc and yes it could be me, even though I've tried every setting permutation!
The XT2 with my 18-55 and 55-200 are excellent performers, but I do visit RSPB reserves regularly and have looked over the shoulder of D500 + 200-500 owners and thought.....WOW.

I will be interested in your findings if you do change over to the D500. I'm having similar thoughts regarding my XT2 with the 100-400, I just struggle to get constant keepers when birding/BIF's etc and yes it could be me, even though I've tried every setting permutation!
The XT2 with my 18-55 and 55-200 are excellent performers, but I do visit RSPB reserves regularly and have looked over the shoulder of D500 + 200-500 owners and thought.....WOW.
Did you talk to them and see if you could have a go? May save some cash if it turned out to be you. ;) :LOL:

Did you talk to them and see if you could have a go? May save some cash if it turned out to be you. ;) :LOL:
I did have a chat with them, with many positive replies, but I didn't ask to have a play......food for thought the next time, that's assuming somebody will let me hold their pride and joy with my sweaty fingers;)

A Neewer grip for me too. I don't use it that often, but have had no problems. :)

You may want to factor in a couple of batteries. The D500 was not as good as the D300S with batteries, and especially new, as the batteries take a little bit of time to get as good as they can be, which is again, is not as good as the previous camera. They may have sorted that out, as I don't hear that as a problem now. I got D500 compatibles as soon as they appeared.

You can sometimes get a deal with a grip and batteries. I haven't had to look for awhile. I have 3 batteries, one original and two compatibles, and that has been enough for me and no problems. :) Make sure any batteries are D500 compatible though. ;)

I have zero issues with batteries - 1500+ shots per charge. Maybe more...

Yes same here I can happily wander round an Rspb site for 8-10hrs and all I carry is an extra battery, not sure if I’ve ever used it to be honest

The D500 is hands down the best camera I’ve owned for AF. The 200-500mm is nice but heavy, the combo will weigh over 3kg :(

I did have a chat with them, with many positive replies, but I didn't ask to have a play......food for thought the next time, that's assuming somebody will let me hold their pride and joy with my sweaty fingers;)
Yes same here I can happily wander round an Rspb site for 8-10hrs and all I carry is an extra battery, not sure if I’ve ever used it to be honest
The batteries were a bit dodgy at the beginning, but they may have rectified this with newer models and firmware updates. I have used 2x batteries if I am out all day, and then taking long exposures at night on holiday. I still don't think it is a good camera/battery combo for long exposures. But then that is why I have three batteries. ;) :LOL:

The D500 is hands down the best camera I’ve owned for AF. The 200-500mm is nice but heavy, the combo will weigh over 3kg :(
The weight is certainly one of the issues I'm concerned about, I've had a D610 +150-600 in the past and yes that combo got a bit wearing. I suppose a mono-pod and different type of strap would help.....none neck hanging type!

The weight is certainly one of the issues I'm concerned about, I've had a D610 +150-600 in the past and yes that combo got a bit wearing. I suppose a mono-pod and different type of strap would help.....none neck hanging type!
The solution: Nikon 300mm f/4 PF VR

I even found the D750 with 150-600mm on a sling strap a bit wearing tbh. The D500 is a heavier body, and the 200-500mm is 400g heavier than the Tamron and Sigma C 150-600mm.

You could of course get the Tamron 100-400mm as this would give you 150-600mm equivalent on a DX body.

Anyone used the Tamron 100-400 ? I have the 70-300 af-p but I rarely use it at 70mm and I have a 24-120

The solution: Nikon 300mm f/4 PF VR
I even found the D750 with 150-600mm on a sling strap a bit wearing tbh. The D500 is a heavier body, and the 200-500mm is 400g heavier than the Tamron and Sigma C 150-600mm.

You could of course get the Tamron 100-400mm as this would give you 150-600mm equivalent on a DX body.
I like wandering around RSPB sites so 200-500 would be the one I'd aim for......if I go down this path. Thanks for the advice.

Far better than the Sig/Tam 150-600 in my opinion but heavy after a while
I prefer these lenses too but on the 151 point Nikon AF system the outer points are unreliable on these lenses, and often only the f8 sensitive points work beyond 500mm. It's as though Nikon's AF system took a step back after the D750 in this regard. That being said up to 500mm it's still fine, and the Nikon only goes up to 500mm, and the Sigma C and Tamron are 400g lighter. Add to this that you can go up to 600mm using limited AF points I would personally choose one of these over the Nikon. YMMV (y)

I prefer these lenses too but on the 151 point Nikon AF system the outer points are unreliable on these lenses, and often only the f8 sensitive points work beyond 500mm. It's as though Nikon's AF system took a step back after the D750 in this regard. That being said up to 500mm it's still fine, and the Nikon only goes up to 500mm, and the Sigma C and Tamron are 400g lighter. Add to this that you can go up to 600mm using limited AF points I would personally choose one of these over the Nikon. YMMV (y)
I'm considering a new purchase as MFT in my opinion cant compete. I guess its all down to personal preference but having seen the insane crops you can achieve from the 300mm prime it does seem very attractive.

Last edited:
I'm considering a new purchase as MFT in my opinion cant compete. I guess its all down to personal preference but having seen the insane crops you can achieve from the 300mm prime it does seem very attractive.
Gotta go with whatever you're happiest with (y) M4/3 is definitely my primary sports and wildlife system now and I'm really happy with it, IQ's right up there imo, at least when we're talking the relatively slow aperture zoom FF lenses. I still don't think m4/3 can compete when it comes to fast primes. In terms of AF I don't think m4/3 can match the D500, but let's be honest there's not many DSLRs that can. The EM1-II is as good as the D750 in terms of AF imo, good enough for me anyhow ;)

Anyone use XQD cards ? We were doing some rolling shots yesterday and the write speed of my SD card isn’t quite quick enough..

Am wondering whether to dig deep for a XQD..

Anyone use XQD cards ? We were doing some rolling shots yesterday and the write speed of my SD card isn’t quite quick enough..

Am wondering whether to dig deep for a XQD..

What write speed SD are you using?

I'm using Sony G series 440 MB/s XQD backing up to SanDisk Extreme Pro 300 MB/s in slot 2. Backing up to the SD does slow things down a bit, starting around 20 frames. No issues at all just shooting to the XQD.

The other thing to bear in mind is Nikon are meant to be introducing CF Express compatibility via a firmware update but the timing isn't known just yet.

GC

When I had my D500 (which I sort of regret selling - but that's a different story), I was using it with a Lexar 440mb/sec 32gb XQD card, and when shooting bursts (i.e flying birds or fast jets), never ran into a buffer - ever, and the camera just seemed to be able to shoot at 10fps forever (unless the card got full or you hit Nikon's built in hard stop of 200 frames). And that was shooting raw+jpeg.

95mb/s SD card...

Just did a quick test, the SD are actually a bit better than I remembered.

95 MB/s SD card only = 41 shots before slowing

300 MB/s SD card only = 66 shots before slowing

440 MB/s XQD card only = 200 shots (D500 max buffer)

All of the above are 14-bit lossless compressed RAW.

GC

Last edited:
Thanks both. It might be rare but if I can get a used XQD on here it’ll probably be worth it

People keep harping on about XQD cards being hideously expensive, but in my experience they are anywhere between just a bit more or a bit less than the equivalent SDXC units price when compared with branded 300mb/sec SD cards.

From Camera price buster today

Sony TOUGH 128GB 299MB/s SDHC Card Cheapest £239.00

Sandisk 128GB Extreme Pro 300MBs SDXC Card Cheapest £173.00

Sony 120GB G Series XQD Memory Card Cheapest £209.00

Also from E-Infinity -

SONY 120GB XQD G Series Memory Card £149.90

Back