Beginner D5200 photos aren't sharp?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all!

I bought my first DSLR camera not long ago (Nikon D5200) and I've been trying out different modes and settings. My photos just don't seem to be as sharp as I was hoping for my first DSLR. I've seen pictures taken by other people with D5200's and I know this camera can produce great photos! The lens I'm using is the AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR. I realise that as a very beginner photographer my photos aren't going to be incredible, but I was hoping someone might have some tips or suggestions to help me improve or to suggest why I might be getting soft shots.

Thanks very much!

Hi

Welcome to TP.

What focus mode are you using, shutter speed etc?

Might be worth uploading a picture which you are not happy with included the exif data and I am sure the experts will help.

Thanks

Hi all!

I bought my first DSLR camera not long ago (Nikon D5200) and I've been trying out different modes and settings. My photos just don't seem to be as sharp as I was hoping for my first DSLR. I've seen pictures taken by other people with D5200's and I know this camera can produce great photos! The lens I'm using is the AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR. I realise that as a very beginner photographer my photos aren't going to be incredible, but I was hoping someone might have some tips or suggestions to help me improve or to suggest why I might be getting soft shots.

Thanks very much!

Welcome to TP :)

There a couple of possibilities. Either the subject is not properly focused, or there is movement blur from either subject movement or camera-shake, or both, caused by too long a shutter speed.

Post a sample image with camera settings info - it's usually quite easy to tell what the problem is.

Hey guys, really sorry to be a newbie, how do I attach a photo to my comment? Thanks for the replies!!

With a lens that big and slow, and the absence of any settings. I'm guessing camera shake (too slow a shutter speed or lack of tripod). Let us know what settings you used and I'm sure we'll soon have you on the road to sharp images. :)

Brilliant thank you! Here are some images I took of varying success. If I'm expecting too much out of my photos then that's fine, I just feel like some of them could be sharper?
datetaken

datetaken

datetaken

datetaken

... Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6...
That is a big long lens with limited aperture. I often got soft photos as 300mm too (different systems)

The huge EXIF listing on your first flickr photo might (it is confusing) show a shutterspeed of 1/50 ... which is too slow for a beginner at 300mm, but fine for wider angles in great lighting and close range.

Last edited:
Okay sorry about all that, still haven't quite got the hang of this. Those are a few pictures I've taken with the D5200 and the aforementioned lens, any advice on them would be hugely appreciated! Thanks! :D

That is a big long lens with limited aperture. I often got soft photos as 300mm too (different systems)
Do you think a slightly more expensive lens with a better aperture will improve my results, or will the camera body limit the shots too?

Ok, it's actually a number of factors.

Light isn't good
Images are underexposed slightly which make them look darker than you'd like
Shutter speeds are slow so there is a chance of camera shake and movement blur would be an issue at these shutter speeds if the cat was moving
ISO is high so will smudge fine detail
You've missed focus

All of which are contributing to your disappointment.

Ok, it's actually a number of factors.

Light isn't good
Images are underexposed slightly which make them look darker than you'd like
Shutter speeds are slow so there is a chance of camera shake and movement blur would be an issue at these shutter speeds if the cat was moving
ISO is high so will smudge fine detail
You've missed focus

All of which are contributing to your disappointment.
Thanks for the reply! Okay, clearly there's quite a few issues here! :oops: :$
What's the best way to start combating these issues? Is the "S-Mode" the best mode to be shooting in if I want to have high shutter speeds? For a beginner like me, should I stick to the auto setting and just get used to the camera a bit? Sorry for the complete beginner obvious questions :confused:

Thanks for the reply! Okay, clearly there's quite a few issues here! :oops: :$
What's the best way to start combating these issues? Is the "S-Mode" the best mode to be shooting in if I want to have high shutter speeds? For a beginner like me, should I stick to the auto setting and just get used to the camera a bit? Sorry for the complete beginner obvious questions :confused:

First thing to do is learn about the exposure triangle:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-exposure.htm

And then about metering:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-exposure.htm

And then learn to use the camera - RTM

And you should be good.

The main issue here is that the light isn't good enough for your kit, shoot in better light and you will find most of the issues disappear.

Use a shutter speed of atleast 1.5 X focal length so if you're shooting at 300mm, shoot at 1/500s ( 1/450s doesn't exist ). Some will recommend twice the focal length ie 1/640s - it depends how steady your hands are.

Avoid low light as you'll need to up the ISO to get the shutter speed - this will lead to noisy pictures. Or use a tripod and timer if you're dead set on taking a certain shot.

I'd avoid auto - ok, it's fine to start with but you're much better learning correct exposure and focussing. Shutter mode is fine as the camera will do the rest ( depending on where you've set the ISO limits of course )

Thanks so much guys! Very helpful info! I'll get some book work and some more practicing in over the next few days and see if i can make any improvements :D

When I first started I used aperture mode rather than shutter.
Practice, reading, more practice , more reading.

I'm still learning everyday. Keep at it thou. It may not feel like it now. But it's worth it in the end

Practice, reading, more practice , more reading.

I'm still learning everyday. Keep at it thou. It may not feel like it now. But it's worth it in the end
Thanks Kingo, I'll try aperture mode and see how I get on :D I appreciate the support, hopefully I'll improve and start taking some okay shots!

Just keep asking if your unsure about anything. I'm sure someone will be able to help. Also post pictures as it's easier to try and diagnose rather than just text

Shutter mode is fine as the camera will do the rest
In theory, it doesn't matter. Choose the shutter speed and the camera calculates the "correct" aperture; or choose the aperture and the camera calculates the "correct" shutter speed. Either way, you get to the same exposure.

But if you're using the camera set to a fixed ISO, there's a subtle difference. Most cameras will offer you a range of shutter speeds that covers 30 seconds to 1/4000th, which is 17 stops of exposure. But most consumer lenses will only offer you a range of apertures from about f/4 to f/22, which is 5 stops of exposure. Even a professional fast prime lens won't offer a range of more than 8 stops.

What this means in practice is that, if you work in aperture priority, it's almost certain that the camera will be able to set the "correct" shutter speed to get the exposure right. It might not be an "appropriate" shutter speed for all sorts of reasons - too slow and you could get camera shake, or moving objects which you'd like to be sharp aren't; too fast and objects which you'd like to see moving (water, clouds etc) won't. But at least you get a picture to look at, and you can judge whether the settings were right.

But if you work in shutter priority, it's more likely that you'll choose a shutter speed for which the camera can't set the "correct" aperture because the range of apertures offered by the lens simply isn't wide enough. What happens then may depend on which camera you're using. On Canon DSLRs, for example, the aperture display in the viewfinder blinks but it still allows you to take the shot, which will be underexposed or overexposed. That's arguably not so useful for learning as it's not necessarily obvious to a beginner how much under or over exposure there is.

I'm not saying one way is right and one way is wrong. Just that they potentially have different behaviours, and you may prefer one to the other.

Last edited:
Is the "S-Mode" the best mode to be shooting in if I want to have high shutter speeds?
I think, in your case, YES.
For long-lens aimed at chimneys I use a certain camera and a certain lens in "S" mode and force it to give me 1/800th (for example),
I play about with the shutterspeed until I find what suits that camera+lens most.

If the subject is a person at close range I would use "A".

If I'm passing my camera to someone else I switch it to "AUTO".

Horses for courses and all that.

Back