D600 - £2000!

Martyn... said:
No rear button AF-ON ... is it possible to assign the AE-L button to focusing duties ?

Yes. It was too tight on the D7000 for left eye shooters but this is supposed to be easier. I need to check because it'd be a deal breaker for me.

Yes. It was too tight on the D7000 for left eye shooters but this is supposed to be easier. I need to check because it'd be a deal breaker for me.

Thanks Dean.

The lack of a dedicated AF Area selection switch on the back would be an inconvenience for me.

Amazon UK now have the D800 at just over £2k! Making it once again only £300 more than a D600.

I only ever use the shutter button half press for AF.

Back button is the way to go, try getting Dragonfly flight shots using the shutter half press ... like these LINK ;)

I have been using it for years, so much more convenient, it avoids the camera locking onto a distracting background / foreground object especially in wildlife photography.

Martyn... said:
Thanks Dean.

The lack of a dedicated AF Area selection switch on the back would be an inconvenience for me.

It's really very easy to change the AF Area mode on the D600. Press the button to the left of the lens (on the front of the body) then select your mode using the command dial. I agree it was easier on the D700 but it takes no more time and once you've done it a couple of times you'll soon remember it.

It's really very easy to change the AF Area mode on the D600. Press the button to the left of the lens (on the front of the body) then select your mode using the command dial. I agree it was easier on the D700 but it takes no more time and once you've done it a couple of times you'll soon remember it.

Thanks for that (y)

It is difficult for this old dog to learn new tricks :D

Having used a D300 and D700 for years, I can find most of the buttons / switches that I need without taking my eye from the viewfinder, which is why I said it would be an inconvenience, rather than a deal breaker.

Back button is the way to go, try getting Dragonfly flight shots using the shutter half press ... like these LINK ;)

I have been using it for years, so much more convenient, it avoids the camera locking onto a distracting background / foreground object especially in wildlife photography.

Will definitely look into it. I've heard about it before but never looked into it. I'm always up for adding a new technique to the arsenal :) Great shots btw. I fail most time I try get a bee/hoverfly/dragonfly in flight. If this AF tech helps, I will just have to learn.

Last edited:
Hi,

Handled a d600 in Jessops last Saturday.

Feels more like a d7k, lighter and smaller than the d300.
Build seems to be ok - obviously not to the d300 specs but sturdy and not plasticy.

Was disappointed at the focal points begin grouped in the middle (51 point on the d300 and they are spread out to the thirds at least...)

Overall, if upgrading from entry models to to full frame, worth it. But I don't think I liked it as much as I was hoping and the 1,800 ish price is still too high at the moment to consider it.

As I've posted on what camera to buy, you have to handle to feel it, and for me, this didn't cut it...

I'll stick with my d300 for now :)

Was disappointed at the focal points begin grouped in the middle (51 point on the d300 and they are spread out to the thirds at least...)

Isn't this a difference in all FX Nikon cameras, ie they all have AF points more in the center compared the almost edge to edge coverage in my d300s

:thinking:

Here's a great little gif overlay showing the difference between the D800 & D600. It is a bit tighter on the 600 for sure.

http://i.imgur.com/11luS.jpg

Or direct side by side comparison:

714B37A68D5B47519AC6C08B9B3923D9.jpg

In DX mode the D800 almost covers the whole frame, obviously in FX then it doesn't have points outside where the DX window would be.

Last edited:
DigiRev have their usual loose review up for this.

8:05 - looks actually a bit better than the D800 at noise handling.

Yeah, some of us don't really worry much about Dpreview. They're unreliable at best.

There's more than just an ISO improvement from the D7000 to D600, and you're better off not upgrading unless you can buy some FX lenses anyhow. None of yer 18-200 jobbies.

Guys it was just a comparison tool being shared, no need to defend the D600’s honour :)

I would never defend something I don't even own! :D It's just not a great reason not to upgrade. Because it's only a stop better in ISO. I would say that's more a compliment to the D7000 than anything else. But you also get a better sensor all-round, 100% VF, better AF [apparently] better video options, if you're into that?

I'm looking to it as a back up, if I ever get into weddings. Or get more gig jobs. I'd get me an assistant and they would use the 600. I've no need for it otherwise.

Guys it was just a comparison tool being shared, no need to defend the D600’s honour :)

I would say your the one that sounds like a broken record trying to compare and defend your d7000's iso to every camera.
All I've seen you post recently is about how your d7000 is as good as all the full frame cameras available,this is at least the third thread.

Going full frame isn't just about the iso as stated theres a lot of other improvements in these bodes that the d7000 doesn't and can't offer.Also 1 stop can mean getting a good picture or not and a lot of people would value that.

If you were shooting a gig you would really appreciate the performance at 6400 on FX over 3200 on DX.

The whole ISO thing is overblown. Though I do like to know I can push it, most of my shooting is done at lower ISO levels. And I certainly notice a huge jump in image quality, which is more important to me, from the D90 to D800.

pmac said:
I would say your the one that sounds like a broken record trying to compare and defend your d7000's iso to every camera.
All I've seen you post recently is about how your d7000 is as good as all the full frame cameras available,this is at least the third thread.

Going full frame isn't just about the iso as stated theres a lot of other improvements in these bodes that the d7000 doesn't and can't offer.Also 1 stop can mean getting a good picture or not and a lot of people would value that.

It would be unfair for me to compare it against a camera I don't own? I know what can be achieved from the D7000 so it's a good benchmark to assume what would be achieved from D600.

I'm not too fussed about MP, fps, weather sealing, more buttons, VF coverage etc...

The reason I'd upgrade is for ISO performance and I'm sure you have your own reasons too. It just so happens that there have been a few threads that have interlinked that spark of interest in that area - no need to get in a huff about it...?

I picked up a D600 yesterday. It was the first new camera I've bought since the D3s three years ago.

I can't really comment on image quality because I can't shoot and upload any RAW files to LR3. But I can see that it feels ok in the hand (not as good as a D3 series but it's obviously smaller). The LCD screen is brilliant. I don't like two things so far:-

1) You can't add Auto ISO settings to the 'My Menu' screen. That's a real shame as I dip in and out of Auto ISO all the time and am constantly changing what I want the minimum shutter speed to be.

2) You can't make the little 'OK' button in the centre of the direction pad zoom in on the focus point when you're in image review. I found this a wonderful little trick for instantly checking sharpness on my D700/D3s.

That's all I can say for now. The fastest shutter speed is odd at 1/4000 sec but having a native ISO of 100 cancels that out in a way. Having a max sync speed of 1/200th is rather daft but again a lower ISO might help towards that. Of course putting a 1 stop ND filter over the lens will cure both issues in a flash.

It's lighter than a D700 but not terribly so - it stills feels like a well built camera.

It's smaller than a D700 but again not a great deal. The AE-L/AF-L button can be used as an AF-ON button (which is good) but it's a bit close to my right eye when I shoot (I shoot with my left eye).

No huge issues. I'm looking forward to seeing some big prints (in albums mainly) to see what difference the extra pixels makes.

I had another go with the D600 yesterday shooting my niece in the park. I also used it for a paid job last Friday night. For the job last week I was shooting a 25th wedding anniversary with the 70-200. It did ok but I'm fairly sure there's a little back-focusing going on. Funnily enough I saw someone else mention this on a flickr group last week and he got shot down in flames by the rest for even suggesting such a thing. It's nothing a micro-adjustment won't handle I suppose. I was very happy with ISO although I don't recall going over 1600. And of course the images I'm seeing are JPEGs from the camera and will probably have noise cleaned up by the internal software.

AF was better then I originally thought though. Shooting a toddler on the swings is one of the most demanding tests of AF imo. And the D600 nailed a few shots at F4, 200mm. The image below is a JPEG straight from the camera. I've not touched it at all.

8032446493_c29c6940e7_b.jpg

The full size image is on flickr if you want to see a large/close up of it.

AF points are rubbish. They really are too close together. When shooting at large apertures (50mm F1.4 say) I'm going to have to crop to get the composition I want I think. Focus and recompose won't cut it.

One of the things I was most excited about when the D4 was released was something Joe McNally said about skin tones being improved. Something I was never overly happy with when I switched from Canon 4 years ago. Well, with the D600 my initial reaction is that skin tones are better with this model too.

I will almost certainly add a grip to this D600. It's too small for me personally although I realise some will prefer the smaller/lighter feel. Even with the D700 I felt that a 70-200 was very unbalanced without the grip.

I hope these rambling thoughts are of use to someone….

Why didn't you buy a D800? Since you do more demanding shoots?

Lovely image btw :) if a little 'cool'. I shoot a lot of kids ... [insert usual joke here] - running and jumping about. Shot our 5yr old's birthday party last Sunday and didn't miss one shot. I got them dancing, leaping, diving, almost cracking their skull ... etc ... :D

AF with the 24-70 is astonishing. If the D600 is anything close it's more than capable for most situations.

I didn't want such big files.

And WB was auto on the picture

When you say AF is astonishing, what are you comparing it too?

Last edited:
I upgraded to the D600 from my D90 on Friday.

Haven't had much of a chance to try yet but did manage to take a few snaps (when very hungover yesterday).

My initial impression is very positive, love the ISO capabilities and also the IQ with my 24-70 is looking great. A big step up from my D90.

Just need to read the manual now to find out how to work the thing :)

I do agree with Ryan on the focus points though. Really not sure why they couldn't have gone onto the thirds at least?! Just seems strange to me.

Murph said:
I upgraded to the D600 from my D90 on Friday.

Haven't had much of a chance to try yet but did manage to take a few snaps (when very hungover yesterday).

My initial impression is very positive, love the ISO capabilities and also the IQ with my 24-70 is looking great. A big step up from my D90.

Just need to read the manual now to find out how to work the thing :)

I do agree with Ryan on the focus points though. Really not sure why they couldn't have gone onto the thirds at least?! Just seems strange to me.

I'd be interested to see how you get on as I currently have a D90 and want to go ff. Things that put me off the d600 (on paper) are the af points, max shutter speed and flash sync speed. Not sure if it makes a real world difference though.

Ta

S

I went from D90 to D800 just a couple of weeks back. The difference is staggering, in all areas. I'm sure it's much the same with the D600, only not so much an advancement in body structure. The D800 feels like a weapon in comparison.

Brings up that whole "which is better, new glass or new body?" issue for many. You can buy this FX body now for about the price of a 70-200 VR II.

Brings up that whole "which is better, new glass or new body?" issue for many. You can buy this FX body now for about the price of a 70-200 VR II.

Very good point. The way I look at it, don't get a full frame camera until you have decent full frame glass.

The Mansurovs are promising a full D600 review by the end of the week with comparions to D7000. I'll be waiting for that as I like their reviews. Seem very objective.

Very good point. The way I look at it, don't get a full frame camera until you have decent full frame glass.

Exactly - no point in forking out all that cash on FX and then sticking kit f/4-5.6 lenses on it. Quality glass on DX will produce far better results.

I was staggered by what my D90 produced when I screwed the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II onto it - it was a huge jump in quality.

I seriously can't get over the AF coverage when I saw it in jessops on Monday. Shocking...

It is surprising to say the least. One of my biggest gripes with my D700 is the lack of width of the 50 odd AF points and yet the D600 seems to pack them into a substantially narrower area. My D2X only had 11 AF points I think, yet two of them were off near the sides of the image. I'd swear those 11 AF points were more useful in terms of composition than the D700's.

So given that people (as I know I'm not the only one) were already moaning about the concentration of AF points on FF models, it seems bizarre that Nikon have crammed them in even tighter.

As it happens I've actually turned the D700 down to just 11 points as it makes jumping between them quicker and who needs another 40 odd that are all more or less the same!

£2000。。。what a rip of...... with that price you can get 5Dmkiii... or 5Dmkii with 24-105.....handle pretty much likes D7000.... i rather get a D7000/D300S with a decent lens...

Back