D600 - £2000!

Just read the video specs for the D600 - disappointed that is doesn't have 50/60fps.

Overall, I'm a bit puzzled about this camera; on one hand it looks like a very good camera in terms of spec, geared towards people who want a 'do-everything' tool with a high megapixel count and good detail. In that sense it seems like the 'new' D700, which is no bad thing at all.

However, with the D4 and the D3s still in the lime-up, plus a D800/800e, it's FX overkill in my mind.... me and Dean (23thirdman) both commented yesterday that it would have made sense to directly replace the D300s to give DX users something to go at. I just can't see myself going for this camera because in effect, all it has over my D7000 is a slightly bigger body, more megapixels and an FX sensor. And why they've put a mode dial on it instead of what's on the D300/D3 is something I can't fathom.

Maybe I'm being a bit dense but this isn't a camera that fills a gap IMHO...

They still might yet. Personally I'd like to see a D400 which has 7-8fps at around 20mp with better iso performance than the D300s, but with the same professional body. Would make it an even better wildlife camera, especially for birds. The DX format is almost a requirement for taking a good photo of most birds, even if you do have extremely deep pockets and can afford the £4-8k super telephoto primes. First rule of bird photography is you can never have enough reach lol. The crop factor is an absolute blessing in that environment.

The D600 is still a good idea though as a lot of people take photos of people, rather than mostly wildlife, and the FF sensors are great for giving that bit extra bokeh for portraits and macro work etc.

Do you just return it to any dixons if its faulty?

Don't think there are any more "high street" Dixons shops .. afaik they are online only. They are part of the PC World/Currys group though.

This is what they have on their site.

How do I change product?
That’s not a problem. You can return your product in its original undamaged packaging within 21 days* and we’ll give you a exchange or full refund, provided you have your receipt – no questions asked.
If you're unable to get back to one of our Dixons Travel Stores in the UK, please visit one of our UK Currys or Currys.digital stores.
I need to return my product as it has developed a fault.
If your product develops a fault within the first 21 days we’ll always offer you the choice of an exchange or refund. If it develops a fault during the remaining guarantee period we’ll provide a prompt and professional resolution.
If you are unable to get back to one of our Dixons Travel Stores in the UK, please visit one of our UK Currys or Currys.digital stores.
If we refer you to the product manufacturer for service or repair, this is because they are our agents for the products and have been chosen because they are best placed to help our customers with queries.

http://www.dixonstravel.com/faqs.aspx

gad-westy said:
You can use the AF/AEL button on the D7000 but I find it slightly awkward. The button falls just to the left of where you expect it to be.

This is why I sold my D7000 and would never buy the 600. As a bbf user and left eye dominant it was unusable.

How do I change product?
...please visit one of our UK Currys or Currys.digital stores.

Good luck with that one. I've returned two things to them directly to the store and both times had to have a standing argument with the managers who were all under the (mistaken) impression that they were not obliged to return it.

The first eventually looked it up and realised she did. The latter time I had to return again after calling Dixon Travel who got me to take it into the store where the staff member checked it and then they refunded my credit card over the phone instead.

That was a few years ago so maybe things have changed. I hope so. But then this is Dixons/Currys we are talking about.....so maybe not! :LOL:

Last edited:
This is why I sold my D7000 and would never buy the 600. As a bbf user and left eye dominant it was unusable.

That not what i wanted to hear, learned BBF on my d300s and wouldnt want to do without now..

Price yes it's spendy but its not even in shops yet but will come down, the D7000 can be had for almost half the RRP if you don't mind grey imports.

Feature wise it's bang on what I was expecting, FPS is an annoyance but understandable given the resolution. But a AF-ON button might have been nice, as would it sharing the D7000 grip.

Certainly something I will look at, in a year once the price has dropped a few hundred.

I'm someone who is looking for a FF and was keenly anticipating this release.....I was assuming £2k with the kit lens, so this is a bit out of my estimation. Some rethink is required if looking at the D800 price. Given memory is relatively cheap and computers are rather fast, I think I may just be push to go D800. I can see D800 prices going back upwards once this is released to differentiate!

Rip off Britain £2000!

U.S. $2100 = £1300 +15% tax (est £200 ) = £1500

Typical.
Same as it ever was.
Don`t buy it

limpet9 said:
Rip off Britain £2000!

U.S. $2100 = £1300 +15% tax (est £200 ) = £1500

Typical.
Same as it ever was.
Don`t buy it

Uk tax is 20%. It'll come down from rrp quickly cause they always do anyway.

Uk tax is 20%. It'll come down from rrp quickly cause they always do anyway.

Yes I am aware.
U.S. tax seems to vary by state from virtually nothing to approaching 20% so I estimated to try to make a fair comparison.
U.S. tax at 20% would make it £1575.

Yes I am aware.
U.S. tax seems to vary by state from virtually nothing to approaching 20% so I estimated to try to make a fair comparison.
U.S. tax at 20% would make it £1575.

US tax varies from state to state from 0% in new hampshire, to 10% in a few states.

The point you seem to be missing is the UK price will fall over the next few months, where as the US one won't

US tax varies from state to state from 0% in new hampshire, to 10% in a few states.

The point you seem to be missing is the UK price will fall over the next few months, where as the US one won't

Perhaps it will, I wouldn`t be at all surprised. Then maybe after a year or so the price will only be maybe 10 or 15% more than the U.S. rather than the current 30%

So it seems Nikon are just fishing for a few mug punters early on. It`s nice that they have such a high opinion of the Brits.

They still might yet. Personally I'd like to see a D400 which has 7-8fps at around 20mp with better iso performance than the D300s, but with the same professional body. Would make it an even better wildlife camera, especially for birds. The DX format is almost a requirement for taking a good photo of most birds, even if you do have extremely deep pockets and can afford the £4-8k super telephoto primes. First rule of bird photography is you can never have enough reach lol. The crop factor is an absolute blessing in that environment.

The D600 is still a good idea though as a lot of people take photos of people, rather than mostly wildlife, and the FF sensors are great for giving that bit extra bokeh for portraits and macro work etc.

DX format is also great for macro - I much prefer it to FF when doing macro.

They will probably release another couple of DX models as they have yet to exploit the new 24mp sensor in that D3200 in better bodies. All they need is an entry DX (D3200) mid range (D7100) and pro (D400). Knowing Nikon they'll probably release a D5200 and D400 will never happen:thumbsdown:

I've been wanting to upgrade my D90 to something in a pro body, with more mps and better AF for over 12 months now. If they don't release an improvement on the D300s I will jump ship even if it means parting with my D700 and pro Nikkor lenses.

Dave in Wales said:
Arghhhhhhhhhhhh....!

£2k and it has a SCENE mode, how Naff is that.

I know. I mean, how many people will pay £1500 plus and use these modes. Without appearing snobbish I Would never dream of using one.

A d400 is the best I can now hope for. All I want is a newer d300 with better iso. FF would be preferred.

rjbell said:
This guy would!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5IYahsPK2k">YouTube Link</a>

All the gear and no idea!

Glitzy gold Tag watch, golfy jumper, etc. made me smile....

Just seen continental prices a lot more reasonable! 2700 euros inclusive of kit lens and 2150 euros body only.....I've been waiting for this and could now cave in....will be flying end of next week, so will see how airport prices are. All Indications are this will be released on tues/wed!

No matter the camera, the first thing you do when you can't see through the viewfinder is to check if the cap is on. More money than sense.

I certainly did not. Or may have, I've used many old fim cameras, some of them could have been RFs. Care to elaborate? If it's not clicking, to take the shot, you're going to check to see if the cap is off right? Even if you cannot see that it is through the VF

Clearly he hasn't :)

This guy looks like he knows something isn't right as he's using his Leica but he's not sure, is the metering in the viewfinder similar to how an M6 is?

You can still see everything through the viewfinder on the rangefinder even if the lens cap is on, if he was doing the same with his Nikon it would be dark and you'd notice a lot sooner. A lot of RF users who use lens caps would probably admit to doing this once or twice, the guy was probably wondering why the metering was going crazy forgetting the viewfinder wouldn't go dark like his Nikon with the cap on.

Clearly he hasn't :)

This guy looks like he knows something isn't right as he's using his Leica but he's not sure, is the metering in the viewfinder similar to how an M6 is?

Every few months this video comes up on rangefinder forums people always sheepishly say 'it happened to me too'. It's been responsible for quite a few dark frames in its time, all part of the learning process.

This type of camera you describe would interest me, is it on the horizon?

No news on a D400, though people keep talking about it as if it's on the way. I wonder if nikon will even bother? Looks like they're keeping DX to the 3xxx/5xxx/7xxx and FX to 6xx/8xx/x. I reckon you'll see a D7100 long before a D400, if ever,.

Every few months this video comes up on rangefinder forums people always sheepishly say 'it happened to me too'. It's been responsible for quite a few dark frames in its time, all part of the learning process.

In this instance it is quite easy to see why he's made the mistake, with a DSLR round his neck at the same time.

This type of camera you describe would interest me, is it on the horizon?

Not yet (as far as I'm aware), just stating what I feel is the one and only major gap in nikons camera line up now. If the D800 had more FPS in DX mode, it would negate the need entirely for a new D300s.

Reading this post you'd think the only decent cameras Nikon had produced are the D700 and the D300s.

Everything else just seems to get slated, the D7000, the D800 mainly be people who've never even held one, let alone used one and now the D600 is getting panned before its even out in the shops.

Is this all based on genuine facts or is it just D700 owners desperately trying to keep value in their cameras ?????

I've been fancying a D800 for ages now so I've been reading loads of reviews, forums etc and I am still none the wiser.

Reading this post you'd think the only decent cameras Nikon had produced are the D700 and the D300s.

Everything else just seems to get slated, the D7000, the D800 mainly be people who've never even held one, let alone used one and now the D600 is getting panned before its even out in the shops.

Is this all based on genuine facts or is it just D700 owners desperately trying to keep value in their cameras ?????

I've been fancying a D800 for ages now so I've been reading loads of reviews, forums etc and I am still none the wiser.

Well I don't think I've actually seen anyone slating the D600 or D800 on here! The D600 is, at the moment at least, deemed to be over priced for what is said to be on offer. It is basically a FF D7000. Now the D7000 is a decent enough camera but if you are spending a couple of grand you don't want a "decent enough camera" you want something special. The D800 is something special and is available for not much more than the price that the D600 is reported to be coming in at.

The D700 is a classic. It is still highly thought of and for good reason! Would I swap my D700 for a D800, absolutely! Would I sell my D700 for £1100 or whatever and then find another £800-900 to upgrade to a D800, no! The reason is that I personally don't see anything in the D800 that is worth ANOTHER £800-900......

Back