D600 - £2000!

This thread seems to have several long running debates:
old technology v latest
RRP v street price
And official UK v grey market

In respect to the 3 above people will shop where ever they want to. If they feel there getting the best deal for them than so be it.

As for the D600 I think once the price settles a bit and the street price is more around £1600 it will be a good intro for many people into the world of Full frame who feel that a brand new camera is best for them. Yes pro's will still use the D700 and D300(s) but then that's what there built for. The D600 is built for the occasional user or as WEX say the "serious enthusiast" and I think it will probably appeal to that market people who want to go full frame but don't want the weight and size of a pro body. I think with something like the 28-300mm it would make a good travel camera.

ian-83 said:
This thread seems to have several long running debates:
old technology v latest
RRP v street price
And official UK v grey market

In respect to the 3 above people will shop where ever they want to. If they feel there getting the best deal for them than so be it.

As for the D600 I think once the price settles a bit and the street price is more around £1600 it will be a good intro for many people into the world of Full frame who feel that a brand new camera is best for them. Yes pro's will still use the D700 and D300(s) but then that's what there built for. The D600 is built for the occasional user or as WEX say the "serious enthusiast" and I think it will probably appeal to that market people who want to go full frame but don't want the weight and size of a pro body. I think with something like the 28-300mm it would make a good travel camera.

Agree entirely. Horses for courses and all that. Also, people keep saying the D800 can be found for sub £2000; I don't see that. If you want Nikon WW warranty and include delivery etc the best I've seen is nearly £2300. Where's the sub £2k D800 from?

Soda Farl said:
To be fair the D700 and D300 are Nikons best ever bang for buck digital slr's.

I have owned a D7000 and while being a decent camera it does have it's flaws. The D800 is also a great camera if used for what it is designed for but is not as good an all rounder as the D700 in my opinion. I have also used a D800 and again it has it's flaws.

I prefer the D700 to the D800 mainly because of the variety of different photographs I take. The D700 gives me 8 fps when I need it, the D800 would not. The D800, the D7000 and probably the D600 (same as the D7000) has well known issues with it's autofocus system, so for me my D700 is perfect.

The D700 with a grip essentially gives me a similar performance to a D3, but I also have the option of removing the grip when I don't need the extra fps. If Nikon offered a camera that was a cut down version of the D4 but at the same size as the D800 with the grip giving me the option for the extra fps I would buy one until then the D700 is the best fit for me within Nikon's range.

Other people will be different, but at the moment the D800 and the D600 would not suit me at all. If my D700 bit the dust and I only had the choice of the newer models I would have to buy a D4, which is a scary thought considering the cost and even it would not be ideal as I would not be able to remove the built in grip. For me personally the new models are a waste of time because they offer me no upgrade path, however they will likely be suited to many others.

So for me the D700 is king and the D300 as a second body compliments it well. It has the same focus system, the same battery, grip etc and it's easy to jump from one to the other when needed.

I also have no interest at all in shooting video so the lack of video on my camera's suits me well.

Couldn't agree more with this and I plan to buy another D700 soon.

Its not UK stock though.........UK stock canbe had at that money from Dixons duty free

No it can't, not that low + you have to go to the terminal duty free to get it!

Its a weird strategy from Nikon. They introduce a d800 (the expected d700 replacement) and give it everything you'd want from a d700 replacement except they lumbered it with a huge 36mp sensor and only 4fps shooting. Now the d600 comes out with the sensor size i'd have prefered the D800 to have had but lacking many of the d800's good points, packaged in a pimped d7000 body but priced at the same level as the d700.

I'd rather they'd gone for a d800 with 16-20mp sensor and left the 36mp sensor to the d800e.

Last edited:
I waited patiently for the D600 and was hoping for £1500 launch price, so that I could get one for around that money by Xmas.

It didn't pan out :( As others have noted, £2000 is frankly silly when the D800 is selling in many places for £2200 right now with immediate availability.

Bought a D800 from Amazon today. Not a perfect combo, but better than waiting another 6 months for this mess to get sorted out.

How are you finding the 5dmk2 in comparison?

Basically it produces wonderful images just like the D700 but it's much slower in the AF department and far less accurate too. But to be honest it's not a major issue. The only thing I don't like is that I find the Nikon better in the hands as I preferred the control layout over the canon.

I didn't buy the canon as I wanted to swap, I was forced to sell my Nikon gear to get me through a divorce so I bought the only FF I could afford which at the time was the Canon.

As soon as the dust has settled I shall be heading back to the Nikon camp but I will be buying a D700 as its now a LOT of bang for your buck

Well I would seriously consider a D600 but not at £2k ! My D700 is going nowhere....but if the real street price (once it has settled down) is under £1700 then I might be tempted. It would be a lot of camera for that kind of money.

At least the new Canon 6D is making the D600 look a lot tastier. But, still not for me. Save the extra and get a D800 - that's my thinking.

Its a weird strategy from Nikon. They introduce a d800 (the expected d700 replacement) and give it everything you'd want from a d700 replacement except they lumbered it with a huge 36mp sensor and only 4fps shooting. Now the d600 comes out with the sensor size i'd have prefered the D800 to have had but lacking many of the d800's good points, packaged in a pimped d7000 body but priced at the same level as the d700.

I'd rather they'd gone for a d800 with 16-20mp sensor and left the 36mp sensor to the d800e.

I think Nikon made the D700 too good. It was a D3, smaller. Not a lot else difference wise that would matter to many.

By focusing the new cameras more there's a more obvious camera for a certain job. Sadly this does mean you can't just drop £2000 on a D700 and be done any more.

That said I believe the D600 will be more camera than 90% of people will need. Also 24 MP is not much more than the 20MP ish, really, people are calling the sweet spot.

After the D800 delivery fiasco I have been planning my D600 purchase for some time, and expected to perhaps wait until Christmas before actually receiving the camera.

Just got an email from Jessops...shipped, expected to arrive tomorrow (Tuesday)!

A bit sooner than I'd planned...

With Panamoz's price of £1728 for the kit of D600 + AF-s 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR Lens against their price of £2010 for the D800 body that is enough of a difference that people are going to buy the D600 when they do not need the extra features. This is the kind of difference in price that makes the D600 a possible worthwhile purchase. When the reported difference was £200 or less for bodies only I don't think it was worth it getting the cheaper model.

By the way, I actually quite like the idea of a D600 over a D800 as I simply don't want to need a new computer to cope with the output - 36mp is too much for me really.

However, people are saying the D7000 AF system (and therefore D600) isn't up to much - anyone care to elaborate?

And those of us who want a proper size metal body have to fork out £2k for a d800???

DigitalRev are selling the D600 at £1599. I know they arent UK stock but Ive had good service in the past. May go for one.

Ah cheers Kevin. I thought I read somewhere it didn't and that would have been put me off totally. As it is I'm quite interested :)

I have to say I douted the d800 on release.But after having it for only a week I can say it tops the d700 in every way except fps. It is well worth the upgrade.
The tech in cameras is going to slow diwn the d700/d3 was a huge jump and I dout we will see anyyhing like that again(the d800 is a big jump in my eyes).

Everything is going to get more expensive aswell. prices dont go down they go up. If people dont want to or cant pay it then stick with what they have.

Looking at both camps there are so many people complaining about there brand and what the others have when realy there isnt that much of a big difference now in bodys.

The next complaints are going to be when/if the d400 is released... I bet that will be nearer the d800 price which will cause even more moaning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine's just arrived! The Panamoz price is excellent, and made me regret buying from Jessops. I've never bought from Jessops before, but have been planning my D600 purchase for a while and, having followed the D800 launch, understood that Jessops are the preferred UK distributor for Nikon and normally have stock first. I anticipated needing to order immediately on launch (some D800 orders only just being fulfilled now!) in order to maybe get it by Christmas. I wanted UK stock, so hadn't considered Panamoz or DigitalRev etc, but for £500 difference I wish I had.

Oh well. I'll unpack it later and have a go, though I haven't got any FX lenses to use yet!

If people are interested I'll give some feedback later.

Mine's just arrived!

Congrats. Look forward to your feedback. Are you going to test it with DX lens?

Mine's just arrived! The Panamoz price is excellent, and made me regret buying from Jessops. I've never bought from Jessops before, but have been planning my D600 purchase for a while and, having followed the D800 launch, understood that Jessops are the preferred UK distributor for Nikon and normally have stock first. I anticipated needing to order immediately on launch (some D800 orders only just being fulfilled now!) in order to maybe get it by Christmas. I wanted UK stock, so hadn't considered Panamoz or DigitalRev etc, but for £500 difference I wish I had.

Oh well. I'll unpack it later and have a go, though I haven't got any FX lenses to use yet!

Quick buy a AF50mm f1.8D cheap as chips, well not really, and brilliant on FX cameras :)

Ordered the 50mm f1.8D 2 days ago (once I suspected this would arrive soonish)! Should arrive this week. I also have a 16-35mm WA zoom on order, but they're a bit more difficult to find (and that's me out of money!).

Just unboxing now; bigger than the D7000, noticeably so (but not dramatically so). First thing I've noticed annoys me...the button on the top of the l/h selector dial is a locking button, presumably so you don't accidentally switch between shooting modes. On my D7000 I had U1 and U2 modes setup differently, and could switch between them v easily without leaving the viewfinder. Now it is more difficult as the hand position to push down the locking button whilst turning it is awkward. The rear screen is incredibly bright and sharp.

More to follow...

Had a quick go. Takes a while to reprogram with my custom settings from new. Rear cursor control smaller and a bit 'wobblier' than the D7000, but not enough to may me think it will break. Rear AE-L/AF-L button marginally closer to rear command dial (someone mentioned that it didn't fall naturally under their thumb). I'd never noticed (on the D7000) that it was too far away, but this is certainly better for BBF (about 4mm closer I reckon). Shutter button seems quite stiff to half depress, then quite sensitive to take the shot. I found half-depressing to recompose would often not lock the focus; if I pressed any harder the shutter would operate. Probably will get used it as I use it more.

Picture quality seems good; it's difficult to compare as my software hasn't been updated with D600 support and the images won't load (at least I hope that's why they won't load!), plus I'm waiting for some FX glass.

Any questions let me know.

For anyone who's not used a full frame camera the difference in coverage is immense. At 16mm with my Tokina 11-16mm I get full coverage on the D600; a quick comparison of my office at FX vs DX is like standing 5ft further back. I wanted to go FX to shoot interiors, this will make a huge difference.

daktar1 said:
For anyone who's not used a full frame camera the difference in coverage is immense. At 16mm with my Tokina 11-16mm I get full coverage on the D600; a quick comparison of my office at FX vs DX is like standing 5ft further back. I wanted to go FX to shoot interiors, this will make a huge difference.

The tokina 11-16 field of view will be no different mate. It's a dx lens.....

As many of you may remember from the other week, I posted a thread pondering whether to step up to the D700. Now I've been made aware of Panamoz and their astonishing deal on the D600 I'm thinking that's the way to go.... Under £1400 (incl the 5% discount) for a new D600 when I'd have to pay around £1200 for a D700 in fairly good condition that's probably done 20000-30000 actuations. I'm right in thinking there's probably only one way to go aren't I?

Back