D750 Issues and Panamoz & Nikon Customer Service Experience

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
I am creating this thread to document my customer service experience with Panamoz and Nikon having experienced issues with dust/oil on the D750 sensor.

For those that aren't aware, Panamoz products are grey imports. Panamoz offer a 3 year warranty, where any costs for repair work by Nikon are reimbursed by Panamoz.

After a recent landscape trip, I became aware that my few months old D750 had hundreds of spots covering the sensor - ruining many of my landscape shots or requiring hours of touch up work in PP. I contacted Panamoz who advised send it in to Nikon and they will pay any costs incurred.

Dropped my D750 in with Nikon. They had the camera for a month (!) and charged £100 for an hours service which included cleaning the sensor. Panamoz were brilliant and transferred the funds immediately upon receiving the estimate from me.

I received my camera back from Nikon yesterday, so first thing is to do a test to see if the sensor is clean. The result is it is better than when it went in, but there are still visible spots on the sensor. I was convinced it was the shutter mechanism that was throwing debris on the sensor as I rarely change lenses etc, and had clearly stated this in my request to Nikon, so decided to do another test. I shot ~200 images in high speed mode, and then repeated the test image. Sure enough, more visible spots showing up on the sensor, backing up my suspicion. Why the service team didn't perform such a simple test given the information I provided is beyond me.

I contacted Nikon this morning who advised me to bring the equipment back for re-repair and it would be looked at immediately. I dropped the equipment in by hand earlier and was assured it would be seen today. I also left a detailed note with regards to the test I had performed and what I had seen.

This afternoon I get the acknowledgement form for the repair - the fault description is "still dots in sensor image". Great - I expect I will get another crap cleaning job and no investigative work done then as to the actual cause of the issue. I phoned up the service line to find out when the camera will be looked at - now I am being told "some time in the next few days".

Even more frustrating is that, as Nikon don't cover grey imports on the warranty, they are actually being paid for this **** service.

I am pretty disappointed given that the D750 is a pro level body and how much I spent on it. I can't fault Panamoz though - so far they have been great, but I have also contacted them to see if there is anything further they can do to help.

To be honest im surprised you expected anyone to pay for the clean, why should panamoz have to pay?

Its a bit like me asking ford to pay to clean my car.

I clean my sensors myself, as do 99% of folk on here id expect.

To be honest im surprised you expected anyone to pay for the clean, why should panamoz have to pay?

Its a bit like me asking ford to pay to clean my car.

I clean my sensors myself, as do 99% of folk on here id expect.

Because the debris on the sensor (which is hundreds) is a result of a design or manufacturing fault.

As I stated I did a test upon receiving the camera back - would you expect taking 200 high speed frames to throw crap over the sensor?

I also did clean the sensor myself and couldn't even get all of it off. Neither could Nikon, apparently.

Last edited:
I had a D750 for 3 months, over 20,000 shots,half of them in high speed mode, my sensor was spotless.

I guess you got a bad one :)

I have to say that Panamoz have been great with me too. The display inside the viewfinder stopped working. I got a quote from Nikon and Panamoz paid it straight away without quibble.

Now I have to wait for Nikon to fix the damn thing which if this thread and what I've read is true, it could take some flipping time.

Nikon really should raise their game on the service side of things. CPS are far better.

I've also noticed some dust/oil a while back on my D750 which I've cleaned OK. The surprising thing was that the state of the sensor was far worse than my old D600 yet everyone moaned like buggery about that one.

I had a D750 for 3 months, over 20,000 shots,half of them in high speed mode, my sensor was spotless.

I guess you got a bad one :)

It does sound that way. I know many people have not had any issues like this with the D750, but I'm certainly not the only one either.

On the plus side - Panamoz have agreed to replace the camera if Nikon fail to fix it this time. Panamoz have honestly been excellent - I am so glad I bought from them as their customer service is second to none.

Just looked at mine Phil, after a dusty and lots of lens changing trip ........ f32 against a white wall ....... not too bad ........ nothing that a quick 5 min DIY job should not solve

I did notice them on a few f18 and + images .......... here is a 100% then a 25% crop part of an image

most dust spots seem to be on the bottom LH corner section of the sensor .. i.e. the top RH corner section of the image

the mirror was also attracting a few dust spots

My D750 is 6 months old and 10,000 shots

dust.jpg

Last edited:
Whilst I can sympathise with you over the tardy responses from Nikon you have to bear in mind that you still sent them a 'grey' import for repair!

I should imagine that, once it's perceived as 'not coming from here chum' it goes to the back of the urgent repair pile.

If you suspected oil spots right from the start then maybe you should've insisted on a replacement straight away. In fact, I'm puzzled as to why Panamoz didn't offer to replace it in the first place.

Are you a member of NPS (Nikon Professional Service)? You do get a better class of Service under NPS as as opposed to just 'Consumers'.

Last edited:
This shows where the dust cluster was on my sensor - top RH quarter section of image .. which I believe is the bottom LH quarter section of the sensor

screen shot from LR .....I have darkened the image to show the cloning rings (spots)

I suppose that I would regard this amount of dust spots as normal considering the amount of lens changing I do .... and 90% of my shots are at f4 to f8 .... so I do not see them untilI check

does that say anything? - i.e. the position of the dust spots?

taken at f20

cluster.jpg

Last edited:
Whilst I can sympathise with you over the tardy responses from Nikon you have to bear in mind that you still sent them a 'grey' import for repair!

I should imagine that, once it's perceived as 'not coming from here chum' it goes to the back of the urgent repair pile.

If you suspected oil spots right from the start then maybe you should've insisted on a replacement straight away. In fact, I'm puzzled as to why Panamoz didn't offer to replace it in the first place.

Are you a member of NPS (Nikon Professional Service)? You do get a better class of Service under NPS as as opposed to just 'Consumers'.

You may be right - I'm not sure. All I know is that they themselves quote a 2 week turn around time, and they are being paid for that service.

There has always been a debate over whether it is oil or dust. I had also read online that some brand new cameras can throw a bit of debris around during a "break in" period - and I also decided it was reasonable to allow them (Panamoz, via Nikon) to try and fix the fault first (after all, it is not like they could then re-sell this body as new...), so figured I would send it in for investigation and cleaning etc and then monitor the situation.

I am not a member of NPS - whilst it is something I am working towards, currently I am not a professional photographer.

does that say anything? - i.e. the position of the dust spots?

I'm not sure to be honest - can't say I have noticed any particular pattern to mine. It seems to affect the whole sensor and they only really show up on sky areas at high apertures, but given that I like shooting landscapes that ends up being the majority of my pictures.

The best way I found to get a clear picture of where the spots are is to take a picture of an A4 piece of paper on the wall, camera on tripod in aperture priority mode, set to F/22, ISO 100, and manual focus ensuring the picture is taken out of focus. Then import in to lightroom and use the visualise spots tool.

bottom LH corner section of the sensor .. i.e. the top RH corner section of the image

Bill, I think it's, top left = bottom left. Top R = Bottom R.
(Not sure what the relevance is though, in relation to shutter etc, )

Bill, I think it's, top left = bottom left. Top R = Bottom R.
(Not sure what the relevance is though, in relation to shutter etc, )

Thanks Carl - I've no idea either but I thought that I would mention it as it seems strange to be concentrated in one main area

I would only use Nikon for repairs as a last resort that includes NPS. I have heard some horror stories about them. The very long time it takes to do a repair is appaling. I have taken my cameras including Nikons to Sendean and they are usually repared within a week. Can Panamoz use a repairer other than Nikon?

OK so an update to this thread, and the growing list of **** ups

I phoned Nikon Monday to chase up (having been told it was going to be done on Friday when I dropped it off...) and was told it would be sorted the same day and I would hear back regarding the issues - I don't hear anything. Chase up again yesterday - they manage to get the camera sorted and shipped out yesterday.

Only problem is, they dispatch it to the wrong address. They have addressed it to my billing address rather than the shipping address I specified. The reason I provided a different shipping address is I know full well that no one will be at home to receive the package. It is also now too late for Nikon to change the address for next day delivery - if they change the address it will delay delivery by a day. So I rearrange the delivery with DPD to a drop off point round the corner from work - great. No impact to delivery - so the camera should have arrived today.

Of course not. The wrong driver takes the package, who is not covering the drop off point I selected on his route. After speaking with DPD, they assure me the driver will drop it off on the way back from his shift at my selected drop off point. End of the day, not heard anything, so phone back up - and now advised it will be delivered tomorrow. (I appreciate this part isn't the fault of Nikon, although I suspect if they had addressed the package correctly initially there would have been no issues)

In terms of the work that has been done on the camera, the form I was sent via email is very vague, same as last time - it pretty much just states standard service items and that "the fault was identified and fixed" which is the same as what it said last time.

I will wait and see what happens having tested the camera tomorrow (assuming it turns up) but I don't have much faith the issue will be sorted, and I suspect Panamoz will end up replacing it.

This is my first Nikon DSLR having previously been a Canon shooter - certainly an eye opening experience in terms of Nikon customer service. If I ever go pro I would have to think long and hard if I would be happy using Nikon kit.

OK so an update to this thread, and the growing list of **** ups

I phoned Nikon Monday to chase up (having been told it was going to be done on Friday when I dropped it off...) and was told it would be sorted the same day and I would hear back regarding the issues - I don't hear anything. Chase up again yesterday - they manage to get the camera sorted and shipped out yesterday.

Only problem is, they dispatch it to the wrong address. They have addressed it to my billing address rather than the shipping address I specified. The reason I provided a different shipping address is I know full well that no one will be at home to receive the package. It is also now too late for Nikon to change the address for next day delivery - if they change the address it will delay delivery by a day. So I rearrange the delivery with DPD to a drop off point round the corner from work - great. No impact to delivery - so the camera should have arrived today.

Of course not. The wrong driver takes the package, who is not covering the drop off point I selected on his route. After speaking with DPD, they assure me the driver will drop it off on the way back from his shift at my selected drop off point. End of the day, not heard anything, so phone back up - and now advised it will be delivered tomorrow. (I appreciate this part isn't the fault of Nikon, although I suspect if they had addressed the package correctly initially there would have been no issues)

In terms of the work that has been done on the camera, the form I was sent via email is very vague, same as last time - it pretty much just states standard service items and that "the fault was identified and fixed" which is the same as what it said last time.

I will wait and see what happens having tested the camera tomorrow (assuming it turns up) but I don't have much faith the issue will be sorted, and I suspect Panamoz will end up replacing it.

This is my first Nikon DSLR having previously been a Canon shooter - certainly an eye opening experience in terms of Nikon customer service. If I ever go pro I would have to think long and hard if I would be happy using Nikon kit.
As I said Nikon as a last resort.

Finally received the camera back.

Same test as before - initial test image still shows visible spots within the image. Then do 200 high speed frames and take another test shot - whilst this one didn't show up as much fresh debris as last time around, there are still fresh spots on the sensor. Therefore, it does not seem that Nikon have resolved the issue, or completely cleaned the sensor/internals.

In fact, looking at the first test image from the last time I got it back and this time, the sensor is now dirtier than before it went in o_O

Waiting to hear back from Panamoz regarding a replacement. Hoping it won't take too long as have now been without the camera for 5 weeks.

Last edited:
Panamoz have agreed to replace the body under their warranty, and advised it could take up to 2 weeks, although hoping it will be resolved by the end of this week.

The camera was picked up yesterday, as promised by Panamoz, and has already made it to Hong Kong, and will be delivered back to them tomorrow.

I have also made a complaint to Nikon with regards to their service so will have to see what they say, although not expecting much based on my experience so far!

Unlikely! I am so happy I went with Panamoz, cannot fault them at all - not only did I save a significant amount with them, but also get superior customer service, and extended 3 year warranty. There would be zero hesitation from me to recommend them to anyone and they will be my first port of call for future purchases.

Sorry to hear of your issues Phil but glad Panamoz were true to their word.

Based on what I have read in these pages over time I have recommended Panamoz to a number of my friends, all of whom have nothing but joy to report at the manner by which the company has firstly handled the transaction and then as may be necessary, attended to issues.

Hope you can get back to trouble-free shooting before long. Ever thought of going back to Canon? ;)

Update:

As I said I had made a complaint to Nikon last Monday, and also requested a refund (with the hope of getting the money back to Panamoz). I still had not received a response, so prompted them again today, shortly after which I received a response. They basically acknowledged that, as per my sample images, there was still dust on the sensor, but the equipment was fully tested when it left their workshop, and they cannot guarantee that the sensor is dust free as it is not a sealed system. They have refused a refund, but instead requested the camera back for a third time.

During the time it has taken Nikon to simply respond to my complaint, Panamoz had arranged for collection of the D750, had it delivered back to Hong Kong, inspected, approved a brand new replacement, shipped it from Hong Kong and delivered to me - it arrived this morning.

I responded to Nikon with the following email - I am not hopeful for a response...

-------------------------

Hi (blanked),

I am disappointed that Nikon do not see it fit to put this situation right. As I said I will be documenting these experiences on social media, but in the interest of fairness and accuracy, I would just like clarification on a few points - and as such this is easier to do via email.

1) What, specifically, have I received for the money that I paid Nikon? It wasn't a clean sensor, nor was it a fix for the underlying issue (but I did get 5 weeks of inconvenience).

2) How exactly was the equipment tested before being returned to me? The testing did not pick up on the fact that the underlying issue was still present - which was that taking a single test image, followed by 200 high speed frames, followed by another test image - which showed up fresh debris on the sensor. Note that between the 2 test images, there was no lens changes, zooming, or anything else other than simply taking pictures.

3) Do Nikon regard it as normal for debris to be deposited on the imaging sensor, purely through taking images, with no lens changes, zooming, within a clean environment etc?

4) Given that Nikon have already had my camera for an inordinate amount of time, how is it reasonable that you request it back for yet another attempt, rather than refund the money paid for a failed service, on 2 separate occasions?

5) If I did still have the camera, and did send it back in, what would be done differently this time? Given it has already been in twice, with a very clear explanation of both the underlying issue (debris deposited on sensor through regular shooting) and the symptom (the debris on the sensor)? Why was this not done on the second occasion after the first failed attempt?

6) I assume that yourself and management are now fully aware of how this entire situation has played out - do you feel that I have received good customer service and/or value for money?

I appreciate that some of these questions may be difficult to answer, but I would like a response. The D750 is my first Nikon camera, having recently moved over from a Canon system. This experience, combined with the response below (which to be honest comes across like a cop out), has had a very negative impact on my perception of Nikons brand reputation, to the point I would highly consider not purchasing Nikon again.

Kind regards,
Phil

You've put together a well-rounded and reasoned set of questions, all of which need to be addressed. I'm very interested to see how they respond to this.

This is another avenue which needs some investigating too.... most (if not all) the strange camera defects I've come across through various Fora have involved 'grey' imports.

There's a cynic residing deep within me that is wondering whether these cameras from our friends in Hong Kong and the like are not duping us with dodgy kit? Almost like they've been 'identified' as suspect in QC inspections but then thrown to the cheap exporters for palming off to the Grey market. I've noticed more and more kit coming from China where prior to this it was genuine Japanese product. It's not the first there would've been hookey practices under a Red Flag.

There's a cynic residing deep within me that is wondering whether these cameras from our friends in Hong Kong and the like are not duping us with dodgy kit? Almost like they've been 'identified' as suspect in QC inspections but then thrown to the cheap exporters for palming off to the Grey market. I've noticed more and more kit coming from China where prior to this it was genuine Japanese product. It's not the first there would've been hookey practices under a Red Flag.

I'm not so sure, there are numerous happy customers of the Hong Kong 'brigade' ... what does stand out, particularly with Panamoz, is the prevalence of positive reports of their customer service.

Panamoz to the rescue Phil. Great customer service. Imagine a UK retailer doing that?

I can imagine UK retailers doing far better, I've had an item checked and replaced in around 10 minutes in a UK retailer, I've even had a UK retailer give me a full refund after around 6 weeks of ownership just because I didn't like the item...

what does stand out, particularly with Panamoz, is the prevalence of positive reports of their customer service

Which tends to support my somewhat wacky theory ;)

I know it's not a scientific study but I seem to read more stuff like you're stating @gramps than local (UK) dealers and the like. There are plenty of 'faking' scandals than I'd like to hear of.... Nikon batteries is one I can recall off the top of my head.

Indeed Nikon reported fake D8xxx series cameras, though clearly identifiable from the camera's software.
IMO memory cards and batteries are one thing, I'm not so sure that fake cameras are in the same camp ... indeed in this instance, (as in many others from the grey market), the camera has been in the hands of the manufacturer to examine, inspect and report on, yet I have heard no reports of such a fake being discovered :)

Indeed Nikon reported fake D8xxx series cameras, though clearly identifiable from the camera's software.
IMO memory cards and batteries are one thing, I'm not so sure that fake cameras are in the same camp ... indeed in this instance, (as in many others from the grey market), the camera has been in the hands of the manufacturer to examine, inspect and report on, yet I have heard no reports of such a fake being discovered :)

Maybe so..... but I'm still not convinced they're not 'second-rate' bits of kit that are coming through a back-door. I'm not saying Nikon are complicit in this, just wondering if they're 'escaping' the factories somehow and still having bona-fides!

If you recall.... not many manufactures could fix their "Friday Cars" because they were inherently badly built - I'm wondering if some inscrutable rascals are somehow smuggling out QA failures then selling them on cheap to the Grey exporters.

I love a conspiracy theory me! :)

Back