D810 Owners thread anything to do with the D810

pete
i was thinking, yes it does hurt, have you considered the lens you are using for photographing aircraft.The further away you can still get a plane in shot the easier it is to get it in frame. Trying to get a close up using a long telephoto lens is going to be trickier.
You have 36mp to play with so use them with cropping???that aircraft I photoed gives some example although far from perfect, but give some idea
At the moment I am trying out high speed flash with my Nikon SB900 flash gun. A new experience doing it high speed

Yes I have Bazza but a lot of the aircraft I shoot use props so a slow shutter is needed, maybe a 70-200f2.8 would be better for IQ and a bigger crop

1/320sec @f3.2 lens 24-70mm high speed sync ISO 64 seems to work but higher not really. need higher ISO setting on the camera
without flash diffuser. Used greenhouse to show actual flash, at than speed did darken everything else though.

Might be a photo trick to use later on to create a semi night scene ???? it was daylight just now when i took this.
Still playing with flash at the moment

zJvlcah.jpg

i haven't used this SB900 for some time and forgotten how many settings it has. Thank goodness it has a reset in the menu

Last edited:
I don't know without having a play around, I bought it and never used it but will get it out now

Those pro level bodies really are for a specific job it seems. The mid level cameras like the D810 and so do everything well but do not excel in one particular area like the pro bodies do I find. If you mainly shoot fast moving aircraft then the pro body is always going to be better. This is what I'm finding when I shoot wildlife. I am thinking about a D4s too mate.

D810 excels for landscape and studio. A d4 wouldn’t be on my list at all

Oh god...……….now I have a dilemma, just spoke to a guy at Sandtoft, he had a D4s coupled to a Sigma 150-500 same as the lens I use, his D4s really was at home shooting aircraft yet my D810 struggled a little to keep focus or rattle off 4fps, I know his is a sport and fast action body but it just did exactly what I want my D810 to do...……….. do I sell my 810 in favour of the D4 or keep it for the higher resolution knowing I will never use it for any weddings or studio work......speed envy I guess, HAHA

When you say it was struggling to rattle off 4 FPS, what do you have a1 set to? If it’s anything other than ‘Release’ then you’re going to encounter delays as the camera is prioritising focus before allowing the shutter to be released.

I’ve been using a D810 primarily for aviation for over 3 years now and although I’d like to be able to upgrade to a D850, the numbers just don’t make sense to me. A slightly deeper buffer would be nice, but otherwise it works superbly. The D810 supposedly has the same AF system as the D4s (according to Google) so you shouldn’t be seeing a night and day difference between your camera and the guy you were talking to.

Do you use the AF-ON button to focus or the shutter button?

Last edited:
i have a1 and a2 set to focus so the shutter doesn't release until the camrea is in focus. I generally use the shutter button only because that is what I am used to with the other cameras. Also have it set for 6 fps.

Last edited:
Just returned from another 3 days at the Peak District for a bit of walking, climbing and togging (well mainly scouting new locations).
Here's one from yesterday, late morning, nicely difused sunlight with a bit of haze, quite good conditions.
Taken with the D810 + Nikon 28-70 2.8 @ 32mm, f11 + Lee 2 stop hard + Lee 2 stop soft grads.

Chrome Hill view by Neil Almond, on Flickr

Last edited:
Just returned from another 3 days at the Peak District for a bit of walking, climbing and togging (well mainly scouting new locations).
Here's one from yesterday, late morning, nicely difused sunlight with a bit of haze, quite good conditions.
Taken with the D810 + Nikon 28-70 2.8 @ 32mm, f11 + Lee 2 stop hard + Lee 2 stop soft grads.

Chrome Hill view by Neil Almond, on Flickr
That's one for the wall!

Found a perfect match for my D810, and I found it here on classifieds...………….the Nikon 70-210f4 5.6 D lens, it arrived yesterday so only tested but so far the IQ and AF speed are simply superb, the focussing speed is just like going into another dimension, I really have never seen a lens as fast especially at £80
Cant wait for the weekend and hope for some good weather to give it a proper run out and test this beast out properly, I only took a couple of test shots in the house at low light but instantly fell in love with the lens, so much I went straight online and ordered one for the wife, sadly not the D version as I couldn't find another but the standard lens isn't far behind the D on speed but equal in IQ, so there is a lot to be said for the older Nikon lenses if you can find the little gems out there.

Last edited:
Managed to catch a little sun light before work this morning to test the 70-210f4D lens on the D810 just a quick snap but boy am I happy with this combination.

_MGG7046_zpsiagf0rkn.jpg

Thanks Nguss! I just wish i'd shot it a little looser as i don't like the wheel and left side of ramp being so close to the edges of the frame. Thank you though!

Now I am 100% committed to keeping and using my D810 I decided to step out of my comfort zone and see what its really capable of, so out with the tripod and off with the watch (just a rugged thing I wear everyday) and a long exposure at f16 I am pleased even though this took longer to expose than to actually set up so not a studio quality shot by a long way, but as a test :):):)

_MGG7078_zpsu31iszh4.jpg

How about when we post photos, also put settings up for those of us who are learning this beast to try them out and improve our D810 photography

Back